Chap 49 – The three cases – First part
24 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
The hardest and most time-consuming thing I did for this fiction is naming the characters. I should head to a library when thing becomes stable.

Holding back a yawn, the thin man promptly swiped off the unwanted tears. He had woken up since two in the morning. It was five hours earlier than usual for those in the admin roles, but nobody could complain. Today was a big day, and everything must be twice as certain as normal. One slip, and they would lose their hats.

Without a soul nearby, he did a hasty check-up.

My face is clean. My clothes, my shoes, my hair, all nice and neat.

His joints stretched as he navigated out of his designated room.

The elevated tone of whistling accompanied his strolling feet down the empty hallway.

Guess I am the earliest today. Let me grab breakfast in the kitchen then head to the gathering hall.


Running here and there for his task, he didn't realize the hours the had gone.

Ah, the sun has risen. That was a quick four hours. We have completed our second check. Nothing can go wrong unless the heaven will it.

He rewarded myself with a long deep inhale.

It was a beautiful sunshine for the largest event of the year.

In the first shift, he was stationed at the reception desk.

What a shame! I was so excited to meet some of the prominent figures in the world of cultivators. Why did I have to be assigned on the first shift? The big names have no need to come early since we would push them through any tedious procedures. Talented young cultivators would be fished out by great masters. They would have their recommendation, and we would treat them as if they are the previous high rankers too. Therefore, the early birds today are but nameless nobody.

After the most recent group of guests went inside and seemingly nobody in view, he let out a sigh.

This sucks! Although I know there would be no noticeable individual showing up this morning, I had hoped some insanely strong but discriminated cultivators would show up and make a big deal like in the gossip and rumours. Maybe those are just far-fetched tales for entertainment purpose of the storytellers.


At the lunch table, he looked at the guys being tasked with the afternoon welcoming in envy.

At least, my afternoon job is more promising. I get to attend to the participant registration area. In short, assessing the kids on whether they met the requirement to partake in the tournament or not. Again, great names would be exempted from this checkpoint, but there is a higher chance of an undiscovered diamond.


Few tables were arranged in this courtyard. Each with an attendant behind. Their work was simple. When a young cultivator showed up like the one in the uniform of Mount Xiong (mighty) sect currently right in front of the 3rd table, the staff member would ask them.

“What’s your name?”

“Jia (beautiful) Hui (intelligent). I have no last name.”

Hearing that the young man was a bit taken aback.

O…kay… Just who would name a boy Jia Hui? Then again, he said he had no last name. Maybe an orphan. Then who is the one named him? Did he name himself?

Regardless, he jotted the name down.

This reminds me of young master Dong. His name is pretty feminine too.

“How old are you?”

“I am 11.”

He took another look at the kid.

Isn’t he more like nine? At most, ten. Must be a poor kid. He is not even taken care of properly. His bang is covering most of his eyes. It’s Mount Xiong sect for you, those guys are really on their last leg.

“What is your cultivation level?”

“The ninth level of Foundation stage.”

The requirement for this tournament was very clear to all that the bare minimum was the first level of Qi forming stage. Per protocol, there was only one thing for those in charge of these registration table to do.

“Go over there.” The registrant pointed at the area behind him with the back of his thumb.

After a quick glance, the boy made a beeline there in silence.

With nothing else to do, he curiously glanced after the boy.

“Follow that kid.” The talking from a different table reached the registrant.

He stole a look and saw his coworker directing a girl from Shadowless sect to the same place he sent the kid with long bang.

Now this was weird for him. That sect was doing quite well. Every year they managed to touch the shoesole of the upper class. That was to say they were close to the eight clans and four sects. He found it strange because there should be no reason to send a kid that couldn’t meet the criteria to this tournament. In fact, doing so would give people a chance to sneer at the sect. Having your disciple turned down at the gate is very embarrassing.

Despite that, he knew the girl still had a chance. That was where she was heading.

The tournament of Gudu initially only accepted those that met the minimal requirement. It was changed right after a cultivator by the name of Tang Po Luan (Po Luan can be interpreted as “breaking the cycle/ the norm”). After proving that cultivation level was not always the synonym of power, the tournament of Gudu offered a secondary exam to those who couldn’t meet the requirement.

That test was why he was so excited about this post. His greatest wish was to be a biographer for outstanding figure like Tang Po Luan. Someone that was looked down because of his or her cultivation just to one day becoming the living proof of how wrong those misconceptions were. Just thinking about that filled him with joy.

However, there was a catch. The likelihood of someone likes Tang Po Luan appears was extremely low. Since the second exam has been announced, there has been only one kid who passed it.

Just how many times did I have hope and was disappointed?

As he turned back to his table, he jolted.

My heart skips a goddamn good beat! My good ancestor.

It took him a few seconds to calm down.

In front of him, there was a…

!?! Ok, I have no idea if this brat is a boy or a girl. I will just refer to them as a “she”.

Her face is pale white. Probably white powder for makeup. Her lip is bright red. Must be lip gloss. I don’t accept any other explanation. Her long and black eyebrows are clearly drawn. She wore a long coat over her body. Now that my attention leaves her face, she is… tall. Should be fourteen years old.

Ever since the moment the registrant saw her, the girl has made no action other than tracing where his eyes were looking at her. Her red lips kept a slight smile the entire time.

Just how did she sneak up to me without being detected? 

He decided to not try and find out.

Her still smile is creeping me out. Let just get this over with.

“What is your name?”

“Bei He (harmonious) Xuan (part of the words “dignified”).”

Bei? As in Bei clan, one of the eight clans? There should be servants with her. Why is there nobody? Could she be from a small branch family? And what is wrong with the naming these day? Shouldn’t He Xuan be better for a boy? I guess not. You can argue that "He" is usually in girl name.

“Age.”

“Twelve.”

That’s a bit unexpected.

“Your culti-”

BAM!

A loud explosion interrupted.

0