Chap 52 – Amicable exchange
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Welcome, customer. What can I do for you?” The obsequious young man offered his service.

“I would like to look around first.”

“Certainly. Certainly. Please call me if you need anything.” The attendant bowed again before retreating to his quarter.

The last time Tian Zhong visited this shop was a few years ago. The smell of recent paint and new wood suggested they just finished a renovation. The youth tournament was the perfect opportunity to meet all kinds of big shots. The largest weapon store of Gudu, therefore, couldn’t afford to be shabby.

The light portrayed variety of sabres. Tian Zhong came here expecting the blades of the fabled Gudu to be better than the shops around Shadowless sect. It appeared his faith was not misplaced.

Which one would be Yun An’s preference? He pondered.

He got a hunch that her fighting style required something rigid. If sturdiness was the case, there was no shortage here. Picking up a dozen, Tian Zhong was sadly disappointed. The strongest looking ones were too cumbersome for Yun An's small stature. The slimmer ones, in turn, were too flexible. He felt that these ready-to-go goods wouldn’t be able to meet her need. That left only custom-made order.

Only she knows what she wants though. Heya. I see that my intent to surprise her has failed.

Placing the most recent sabre back to its place, Tian Zhong was about to call for the shop keeper until he laid eyes on a peculiar object.

What is this blade? Sabre is curved, and sword is straight. This one…

“Excuse me!”

“Yes, customer.”

“Why is this sabre placed here? Is there any special reason?”

“Ah. Dear customer, this one is a sword from a nation very far in the east sea. Since it looks like a sabre, the manager decided to put it between the sword and the sabre sections.”

Tian Zhong nodded in understanding. So that is the reason for it to rest alone on its own stand.

Bringing the "sword" to eye level for examination. He spotted something unique in its qi.

It’s not stronger than other blades. It’s different nevertheless. Like a shade of amber in an ocean of blue. Like a heron in a flock of cranes. Does sword from a distant land bring with it a different sense of qi? I can’t comprehend what causes this.

He closed my eyes. I shouldn’t think too much. This sword may be strange, but it feels tougher than what I have seen. It should prove useful to her.

With that conclusion, he unsheathed the blade.

Before he could call out to the store attendant, a presence exposed itself. Tian Zhong found a boy his age standing along with a middle-age man, presumably the boy's older attendant.

“Young master Tian.” His right hand formed a half-fist while his left palm covered his right. He held them near his chest. A salutation, a respectful one even, with his head slightly bowed.

His clothes had a very minor shade of yellow with golden patterns. One look at his clothes told he was no ordinary figure.

Why is a young master from a prestigious family so polite to me? Tian Zhong puzzled.

Upon close inspection, his face rings the bell.

Tian Zhong saluted him back. “Young master Wang. What can Tian Zhong do for the young master?”

There are eight clans. Eight clans whose influence spread across the nation. As time flowed, history recorded a handful of changes in the ranking, some were even dropped out. However, Wang clan, the most powerful of the eight, have never once conceded its supremacy.

“Young master Tian. Please don’t be too formal. Although, it’s true that I have a favour to ask of the young master.”

“May I ask what favour that is?”

“Young master Tian. I know this is imposing, but I wish to buy the sword you are holding. No matter what the price of that sword is, I am willing to give young master Tian three times as much.”

“Even when I haven’t bought it?”

“But you are intending to, aren’t you?”

“I am sorry, young master Wang.” Tian Zhong declined. “I need this sword.”

“I will pay five times as much.” He said that with such a straight face that Tian Zhong was doubtful of his indifference.

“You don’t even know the cost of this sword."

“Then I will add one hundred taels of gold. (gold-silver exchange rate is 8:1)”

As soon as he announced, Tian Zhong caught his attendant stealing a peek at young master Wang.

If even his servant found the need to double-check his master, it’s likely not a lie.

“That’s not what I mean. You are willing to give me so much money just for this sword?”

“If it shows how sincere my request is, it is worth giving.”

“Young master Wang. I don’t stick to this sword because I want to retort you. I need this for someone I know.”

“What a coincidence, young master Tian. I too need it for someone important to me.”

By his demeanor, Tian Zhong could confidently tell the guy was not lying.

The gears in his head begun to spin. In truth, I don’t know how useful it is to Yun An. If he needs it that bad, I can relent. Besides, I met him many times in Gudu tournament before. He struck me as a sensible and modest person, unlike some groups of our peers. We are not friends, but having an amicable relationship with him ought to be useful.

“I will give it to you, but since this is a favour you ask from me, I want a favour from you in return.”

The Wang boy promptly responded. “May I ask what favour it is?”

“I haven’t thought about it yet. I will let you know when the time comes.”

He contemplated in silence before giving Tian Zhong a slow nod. “So be it.”

The sword was handed over to young master Wang who immediately passed it over to his attendant who quickly went to settle the purchase.

“May I ask who do you want to gift it to?”

“Can I consider this the “favour”?” He smiled mischievously.

“I will retract my question.”

“I am joking. I am joking, young master Tian. Still, I can’t tell you. Sorry.”

0