Chap 56 – Attraction
22 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

He Yu, the third child of the master of He clan, was born mediocre, and he intended to lead a life as such. He got no great ambition unless one counts living a life without much friction as one.

Several moons ago, he was tossed into a forest full of demon beasts, such was his clan’s infamous way of ensuring their heir candidates are up to speed. His life was saved by an encounter he would later describe as nothing short of a miracle. The Dong Yun An of that time was smaller and younger than him, outer appearance wise. However, he had always known in his bones what laid hidden in the petite form. A girl, strong in all senses of the word. In a world where qi dictates one’s power, she wrestled demon beasts with nothing but her physical might. In a situation where her life could be endangered, she was collected and thoughtful.

While an incredible incident can often be awestricking like watching a hero defeating a mighty beast, it too could induce uncanniness stemming from the abnormality of the situation. Despite adorning a thin layer of roughness from training martial art, frailness was still the dominant impression she gave off. Witnessing a delicate person like her withstanding the fangs of wilderness fearlessly without the assurance of qi was like seeing someone committing suicide. However, she didn't die nor did she plan to die. She tapped into the most primitive form of power, bodily strength. The magnitude displayed was something supernatural to his eyes, and he had seen a fair deal of things as part of his heir education.

"People afraid of things they don't understand". He Yu felt it clearer than ever in that fateful day. First, a bored attitude to what threatening one's livelihood. Then the demonstration of inexplicable strength to enact one of the most gruesome displays he have ever known. Its gruesomeness didn't come from the goriness of the scene but from the brutally effectiveness of her action. She chose the neck because breaking the spine is a fatal attack.  She sought its eye for it was the most glaringly obvious weakness. She aimed for its jaws because she got to pull those teeth out of her flesh anyway. Could a child 8 or 9 years old make those decision while pinned in a predicament?

Moreover, she was too calm. He Yu could tell why he thought Dong Yun An was calm because her motions were without urgency. It was not fighting three dangerous beasts, it was snuffing out three candles.

"Just what was she" was one of the questions that intruded his thought.

"She must be human, right?"

"Must be because of her upbringing." He Yu tried to find the most plausible answer for what he had seen.

Consciously, he set those questions and the feeling of uncanniness behind because "an incredible incident can often be awestricking". Such might, such "maturity"(???), were enticing. He Yu wanted to be closer to the source and witness her ascension, her demonstration of greatness. He desired to be awed again.

Today, He Yu was on the front seat for such an occasion. A genius far above his level was being on the weaker side to her. He had never thought Dong Ya Qi could act this way to anyone.

He was pleading to her because he was afraid his relationship with her would worsen if he was too headstrong.

Meanwhile, she calmly listened to his wish and pointed out the problem with his demands.

It was then that He Yu caught the glare of people from Dong clan.

From the perspective of a person who knew the inner story of these two, their interaction was somewhat understandable, but to Dong clan’s servants, it was an insult to their master. Dong clan is a big clan. At the center of their vastness is the main family. Needless to say, the position between the rising star of Dong clan and a young lady from a remote branch family is similar to that between a noble and a commoner. Not taking their difference in age into consideration, young lady Dong should be cowering in front of their master. That was what they were expecting.

Normally, they should have spoken something, like any servant of any house would, to reprimand the young lady. Were they holding back? Certainly. Their young master would be extremely angry if his servants somehow displease Yun An. He Yu knew this because Ya Qi treated Yun An with that much respect, or at least that was what he deduced from their past conversation. The floating rumours and gossip helped these servants arrive at the same conclusion. They knew that they should stay silent and that their master was supposed to act that way to get Yun An to listen. However, they didn’t understand the why behind those actions.

Undoubtedly, Yun An noticed their thoughts but she was letting it slide. There was no reason for her to pick on them. Furthermore, as long as they didn't insult her, she could ignore them for them and their master's sake. Take it like this, your distant cousin found you, apologised to you, begged you to let him compensate for your mistreatment, and you rejected him. It would further dishearten Ya Qi if she faulted his servants in front of him.

As their conversation running out of fuel, the atmosphere quieted down.

He Yu thought. If the two in the center of this have no other discussion, I should open a different topic. This silent mood is not very good. We were the ones who barged in her table. It’s our duty to not spoil the mood right after our intrusion.

“Young lady Dong. It has been a long while since then, but He Yu has never stopped being grateful for your help. He Yu wants to once again thank you for your heroic act.”

Did I choose the right words? Why is she looking at me like that?

“You are...” Her words were hesitant. "Too courteous, Young master He."

Shoot! I forgot. With her personalities, being overly formal is the same as pretentious. I sound exactly like those young masters of lower families who tried to bootlick their superior. That must be uncomfortable to her.

Come on, head. Think! Think of something!

“The young lady had shed blood for He Yu. It’s only right for He Yu to be mindful. However, if the young lady prefers, He Yu will refrain from doing so.”

“Then, Yun An wishes you would treat Yun An as your friend.”

“Certainly. With that being said, may He Yu inquire the young lady about the injuries from that time?”

Ya Qi carried an expression as if he wanted to ask the same question. The other priority and then the shock of rejection must have made him forget to enquire about her health.

“Thank you, young master He. Those wounds have all healed.”

“He Yu is happy to know.”

He took out a silk pouch and presented it to Yun An. “Young lady. The aid of yours and young master Tian, He Yu will repay appropriately in a later time. This pouch is a token of my appreciation.”

Her improved qi sensing picked up a strand of leaking qi.

“This midsize stone is slightly better than a normal stone of the same size. As embarrassing as it is, this is the strongest beast He Yu could hunt. He Yu knows how shameful it is to present such an insignificant thing to the young lady. However, He Yu couldn’t just meet the young lady with empty hands.”

“Young master He. You say this is the beast you hunted?”

“It is, young lady.”

“The weight of your sincerity, I shall accept it.”

“The young lady has honoured He Yu.”

Great! I didn’t slip off this time. It was the correct gift after all.

0