Chapter 030
126 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Are you really sure you want to do this?” Aurora asks while hovering beside Markus. “Other opportunities will show up.”

“I know, but when? Time isn't on my side. I have a feeling the longer I stay the harder things will get.” Markus replies back.

The group is making its way up the street where the Mountain View Inn is located. In his hand, Markus grips a folded map purchased from a small general store located on the route back. It was a quick in and out. Time couldn't be wasted, not with the meeting coming soon.

Activity around Montillo is beginning to slow down. Its late in the afternoon when the group reaches the Mountain View Inn. The beastial rabbit woman from earlier is exiting just as Markus grabs the front door. She smiles at him while he holds the door open as she leaves. He smiles back, taking a good look of her large ears as she walks by.

Once inside the inn, Phil can be heard speaking with someone. He's somewhere in a back room located behind the counter. As Markus walks past, he suddenly stops, then moves back to wait for Phil to finish.

“Only a few days left... nothing else... that's fine...” Phil says, but it sounds one-sided to Markus. The conversation can only be partially heard from where they're waiting. “Tomorrow again, goodbye.” The talk ends, then a clicking sounds is heard.

The sound immediately perks Markus up. It sounded like a phone being hung up, but he's seen none since arriving to Montillo. Phil soon walks out of the room, and is surprised to see the group waiting. Nobody else comes out with him.

“Sorry for the wait. Didn't know anyone was out here.” Phil says with a smile. He walks over to face Markus, putting his hands flat on the counter. “How can I help?”

“Just a quick question. I'm meeting a friend at Evergreen, know where it is?” Markus asks directly. “I figure a local like you would know.”

A laugh escapes from Phil. He then says “Gotta learn to look. Evergreen is right across the street, south side, you can see it from your room.”

Markus gives an awkward smile as soon as Phil finishes talking. A feeling of embarrassment washes over. “Boy... that's a surprise. I didn't realize it was so close. Saved me a lot of time looking”

Eclair is trying her best to contain a smile behind her hand, while Aurora can only shake her head at the situation. Moving away from the counter, Markus thanks Phil as he heads toward the stairs. The girls quickly follow him, waving to Phil as they leave.

Markus is quickly moving up the stairs. The room keys are already pulled out by the time they reach the third floor. The door to their room is almost slammed open when unlocked. Closing the door behind everyone, Markus throws the folded map onto the bed and starts immediately checking the locations of his gear. Everything was where he left it.

“There it is.” Eclair says out loud. She's with Aurora as they both look out the room window. Markus walks over to see what they're looking at.

“That building on the corner, that's Evergreen.” Aurora says while pointing. From the window, signs can be seen above the door and in other high locations. Written in Latin, they have pictures of food with numbers that look like prices. Tables with seats can be seen near the windows, and a few patrons are already inside.

“This feels like a set up. What are the odds they pick a restaurant right across our room?” Aurora asks. She had doubts before, but now her caution was heightened.

“Low... but I think it's a coincidence. Back home, I was a salesman for years. I had to be very good at quickly figuring out people. Augustus and Abel didn't give me bad feelings.” Markus replies, then continues with “He's just a big guy with a passionate hobby. At least, I hope.”

“You need to be very careful. You have to assume everyone is out for you.” Aurora says with concern.

“I know, but it still doesn't change anything.” Markus says with a heavy sigh. After looking out the window for a few moments, Markus sees it can be opened. Unlocking the panel, he slides the window up. “Eclair, we still have time. Do your errands before we go to the meeting.”

“Alright.” Eclair responds. She flies to her sleeping drawer, digging through her bag for a minute. A bundle of letters is pulled out, which she secures to a pouch on her waist. Flying back to the window, she says “Won't be long. I'll go to the post office. Don't leave without me.”

“Of course not.” Markus says with a smile. “Just come back before six, so I know when to leave.”

Eclair nods, then takes off through the opened window to the outside. She moves with great agility, and eventually disappears out of view. The window is shut again soon after she leaves.

“You know, once she goes back to Little Creek, it'll just be us two. You sure you want to stay with me?” Markus asks Aurora with a soft voice. He knows he wouldn't have made it far without her help.

“Yes... I don't have anywhere to go. Plus you helped at Little Creek. I wouldn't feel right abandoning you now.” Aurora responds.

“I appreciate it. Plus I'd be screwed without your magic.” Markus says with a chuckle. “Anyway, you made me look like an ass earlier. How did you not know where Evergreen was?”

“Hey, you need to think about what I am. I haven't been to Montillo in a while, and a fae like me wouldn't care about a human restaurant.” Aurora shoots back. “There's a small fae population in town, but they have their own shops, food, and what naught. Those are the places I would go to while visiting.”

“I see... makes sense.” Markus replies back. “So many things to know.”

Markus focuses his attention back toward the bed. He gazes at the folded map purchased earlier, wondering when might be a good time to study it. Markus is already getting anxious about the meeting however. For now, it's the most important thing for him.

Pacing around the room, Markus begins to concentrate on potential questions or topics he can bring up while speaking with Augustus. Aurora meanwhile flies back to her personal drawer, passing the time while she watches him or goes through her belongings.

Time seems to pass in an instant. Darkness is starting to overtake the skies, and the lights of Montillo are appearing. Eventually, a knock on the window interrupts the deep concentration of Markus. Eclair was hovering outside, waiting to be let back inside the room.

Moving to the window, Markus opens it up for Eclair. She immediately flies inside, heading directly to her drawer. Markus closes the window and asks “How'd it go?”

“Fine! The most important things are done.” Eclair says back while putting some receipts into her own bag. “By the way, we have about ten minutes until six. You both ready?”

Markus is silent for a few seconds, then says with confidence “Ya, now or never. I've got to make the most of this.” Feeling his back again, he makes sure the pistol is still secured under his clothes. Everyone gives a confirmation they're ready, and move toward the door together.

1