Chapter 18
54 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Houses in Lothlorien were like a river, flowing from one side to the other, some high up closer to the sky while others below, closer to the ground. The lights at night were just as amazing as the stars shining upon them. The house that welcomed Mistril was Eloen's, younger sister of Illion. It was situated somewhere in the middle, not as high as Arwen's but safe from the danger of the ground. It had a little balcony that oversaw a pond and much like in Imladris, Mistril found comfort and joy in that corner.

It was a rare sight. The orange-haired elleth was working away, sketching the face of an elf with red hair and eyes so green that it looked like nature was talking through him. He had a smile that could soften up anyone and a hair clasp above his right ear. She smiled as she contoured his chin, her heart crying although her eyes could not.

"Is he someone you met in Imladris?" Eloen asked, sitting next to her guest.

Mistril glanced at her and realized that the blonde pure elleth was the same age as her when Gondolin was attacked and she was taken by orcs. Eloen was very young but her expression seemed to be stuck into a frown. Her long hair was cascading over her shoulders and her eyes were the colour of a bright sunny sky.

"No, this is my older brother, Elhadron. He died a long time ago, in battle. An orc cut his head off right in front of me."

"I'm sorry to hear that." Eloen said, her blue eyes filling with pity. 

"He used to spare with me when I was young. I cannot remember doing much in my youth except training to become a warrior." Her smile dropped as she remembered what was her reason to fight back then. "I never thought about what would happen if I ever made it into Glorfindel's army." 

"Lord Glorfindel, the Balrog slayer?" Eloen asked her eyes widening. "I have heard about him and his courage. He was sent back by the Valar after he sacrificed his life to save his people." She said, her enthusiasm overflowing and eyes sparkling even more than before. 

Mistril smiled softly and sighed as she realized her feelings for Glorfindel have changed quite a lot. As an elfling, all she wanted to do was be around him, with him, fight for him, at one point she must have had even higher hopes for her relationship with him. But that seemed to silly now. 

"Elves from every land admire him. He is a brave, loyal and powerful elf and he is of noble blood. Anyone would bath in the honour of being his friend." Mistril said, her voice growing colder as memories of her torture replaced the ones of her childhood. 

"You sound like you resent him." 

"I can't help it. My brothers fought in his army, I would go and visit them every single day. For many years, I used to go and see him almost every day and he forgot about me. I had to throw myself into the hands of the only person who reached out towards me. If only it was someone, anyone, but a human..." Mistril said, her eyes narrowing at the mix of emotions in her heart. 

"Is that why you are in Lorien? Lord Celeborn told me not to ask you question about your past but I couldn't help myself when I saw you. Your light is fading." Eloen admitted, her honesty making Mistril glance at her wrists. Eloen did not notice them but it was only a matter of time. 

"I came with Arwen's brothers from Imladris on a task from their father. I am not sure what it really is but I am happy I came. This place makes me feel like home." She said and smiled, her eyes sparkling.

"I'm glad." Eloen said before her eyes fell on Mistril's drawing. "I'm sure your brother would have been proud of what you have become."

Although Eloen was only trying to comfort the lonely elleth, Mistril's light flickered once more.

That night, Mistril lied in bed with her eyes wide open as she thought about what she saw in the basin. Could that really be her future? Falling in love only to know she will never be loved back? Why couldn't she live in the same solitude she has been living in so far? If that was indeed her punishment, or part of it, maybe she should change it by choosing another path. She's been away for a long time and hadn't seen him in over 1000 years so maybe the future was going to change. 

"I wonder what else they discovered in Dol Guldur..." she mumbled before she closed her eyes and smiled. "I wonder how Legolas is." The prince could always bring out the best in her. 


Faervel was stressed out. He has been pacing in his office for more than half an hour, worried for what was happening around the kingdom. Worse was having Legolas patrol towards the south, where a pack of orcs had been seen lurking.

"Lord Faervel, they're back!" A guard barged in and announced.

Faervel followed him out and went straight into the entrance hall. Tudor and Hathelwen came first and Legolas not far behind, looking a bit dirty but unharmed.

"What happened?"

"We were patrolling the western border when we were cornered by spiders. They have approached the elven path, sir. They are all around us and it seems the source is somewhere in the south." Tudor briefed him in. Farvel turned to Legolas expectantly.

"The trees are silent. The air became thick and the forest is closing in, trying to protect itself. Unfortunately, more and more wicked creatures are coming from the fortress." He explained. "We should send someone to check what exactly is in there." He added, his voice filled with hope that he will be the chosen one.

But Faervel didn't utter a word afterwards. He locked himself in his office and looked over the map of the forest, his eyes always going back to Dol Guldur. It was either orcs were meeting there for their own filthy acts or something was gathering them there with a more important purpose. He had to give the king all the information he could find and he knew Thranduil was not going to be happy to cut off some of their business with Gondor. 

It was a few hours later when Tudor dared disturb his commander. He knocked softly but it seemed that Faervel was too concentrated on his work to hear him so in the end he let himself in.

"What is it? I'm busy." Was the immediate response from the white haired Sindarin elf.

"It's about the fortress..." as soon as he mentioned that wrecked place, Faervel sighed. "Nobody entered it after Mistril and I doubt anyone else will dare doing it now. Men have been talking, elves too! Something is lurking in the ruins of Dol Guldur." Tudor shuddered as the dark name rolled out his tongue.

"I know. This Necromancer that people have been talking about may be just an overzealous man. As long as it doesn't cross the borders of our kingdom everything is fine." Faervel answered glancing between his papers and the archer.

"You sound just like king Thranduil. He's busy drinking his fancy wine rather than going out there himself to check." The brown haired ellon replied coldly. "Every warrior is in danger when he crosses the borders, even by one foot. The south is filled with orcs and spiders and even the lakes have started to poison the minds of the animals. It is as bad as the rumours of men." Tudor added, his tone rising according to his anger.

Faervel understood his annoyance, he really did, but it wasn't in his power to order someone into such a dangerous place.

"He's not ready to admit to himself or to us that sickness has taken over Greenwood. Maybe it's better he is bothered by other problems. Let him enjoy this silence because it won't last for longer." Faervel replied, "And don't go around civilians and alert them unnecessarily. Let's deal with these creatures in silence," 

Tudor nodded, acknowledging the wisdom of someone who had fought and lived for a lot more centuries than him.

"But at some point we will need to send someone deeper into the south, in the fortress if possible. Mistril is the only elf who had entered Dol Guldur and she was shaken by something. Whether he is a Necromancer or not, we need to check." The archer added cautiously.

Faervel placed his papers down and looked straight into Tudor's eyes, making him straighten his back and swallow nervously. Faerve's serious eyes could freeze even a king.

"Pray to the Valar that we will never need to enter Dol Guldur ever again."

As soon as Tudor left his superior's office, he found Miluinir pacing around with a worried look. They were close in age so it was easy talking to each other even if they were different from every other aspect.

"What's wrong?" Tudor asked placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Lord Gweluven wants me to accompany him to Lothlorien. It seems that they want to create some type of potion for those infected with orc-ish poison."

"That sounds like a break to me. You'll be able to escape the tension for a few days and be in Lady Galadriel's presence." Tudor said with a smile. "I had only seen her once and it made me feel as safe as when I am with my family."

"Exactly. Lady Galadriel is there and I don't think they have such a big problem with orcs stepping on their land. It sounds absurd."

"You don't know what happens beyond our borders. Patrols have kept you and other civilians safe but that doesn't mean it is so. Orcs and goblins have been seen in Greenwood more and more often and I assure you their wit is stupidly big. You should arm yourself for travel." 

Miluinir frowned, looking even more worried and nervous than he was already.

Another person that had a lot on his mind was the king himself. Thranduil was not in his room as expected at that hour  but in what was now an empty and cold warehouse. As soon as Mistril left, he transformed the small room in anything as far as it would not remind Legolas  of her. But it did. The values that Mistril inspired in his son were still very strong, especially in the art of war and disobedience. He was training hard every day and although he appreciated his bravery and work, he wished he wouldn't get any big ideas. Faervel didn't send anyone into Dol Guldurin a long time and Thranduil ordered him not to send any of his warriors outside the borders. Spiders were threatening the forest and nature was isolating the evil by suffocating itself. He knew many villagers left and went either to Esgaroth or into Rohan and Gondor. He was king and couldn't risk his people's lives, not when they were so few left. He had to protect his kingdom, even if that meant isolating them inside.

But that was not all he was thinking of. Ever since Mistril showed him her past, a thing he did not know was possible, he started to feel even more paranoid. There were so many questions about her and her connection to their past enemy and he was not ready to take responsibility for whatever was sickening his home. It was just like before when a curtain of darkness covered the whole world and many elves died back then because of it. He refused the theory that something just as bad could rise again. Unfortunately when Mistril let him inside her mind, he witnessed the murder of his father for a second time, even closer than before. 

"Father? What are you doing here?" Legolas asked, finally finding his father after searching through the halls.

"What is it Legolas?" Thranduil avoided giving a real answer.

"Faervel will most definitely send for scouts into the fortress. I want to go."

"No." That was exactly what Thranduil feared.

"But someone needs to go and almost everyone is afraid to even step near that patch of land." Legolas added, growing annoyed. "I want to see what is going on. I'm not an elfling anymore."

Thranduil sighed and turned to face his son. Indeed, Legolas had grown into an adult, a young warrior that any army would be honoured to have. If only he wasn't so keen to go out into the world and search for adventure then Thranduil wouldn't have to add his son's safety on the list of troublesome responsibilities. Then, the king got a better idea.

"I have another task for you." He started, "You will be in charge of guarding Gweluven and Miluinir on their way to Lothlorien."

"...why?"

"Lord Celeborn had asked for assistance with a potion. I'm sure traveling for a few days will ease this eagerness to get into trouble."

"But I am of greater help here. Faervel is-"

"Faervel will go himself into the fortress. He is my most trusted commander and I assure you, even if you'd be here my orders will not be different. You will not enter Dol Guldur, Legolas. Not now, not ever while I am here."

Legolas glared at his father and scoffed loudly.

"You didn't have any problem sending in an elleth that didn't even know if she can fight. I guess as long as they are not considered 'your' people then they are perfect to sacrifice." He spat out in anger before he left Thranduil alone.

The truth was that, Thranduil did not ask Mistril to enter the fortress. What he wanted was for someone to investigate the condition of the south, especially since he had some patrols disappear around there. But he never ordered anyone to go inside, nor did he ask for Mistril in particular. Faervel decided it was best to send here there because Faervel noticed Mistril's marks and Thranduil guessed that maybe his commander knew that nothing will happen to her.

"She's making me anxious even now, far away from Greenwood," The king muttered, rubbing his forehead.


Next day bright and early Mistril woke up at the smell of food. Breakfast in Lothlorien was taken on the balcony with the whole family, as she realized when she came out. 

"Good morning, Mistril. Please join us." Eloen smiled and pointed at the empty spot between her and her brother. "Oh right, you haven't met yet. Illion, this is our guest from Imladris. Mistril, this is my older brother." 

Illion only nodded his head before he returned to munching on an apple. As Mistril approached them he couldn't help but find her rather intimidating as a female elf. In his life he had only seen few female warriors compared to the number of elleths that resembled his sister's softness. But Mistril was a full fledged warrior even if she seemed like she hadn't fought in a while. 

"The colour of your hair is unusual." Illion commented when she sat down.

Eloen threw him an annoyed look before she excused his rudeness. Mistril didn't seem to mind him, she actually looked like she was enjoying herself. 

"It was originally red. My whole family had dark long red hair."

"Quite an irony to how yours is short and orange. Such a change comes only when one has done something very bad." It was obvious he heard about her past or else he wouldn't have brought it up as he did. 

"I guess guards talk a lot to each other. What have you heard?" 

Eloen leaned back as she watched her guest and brother discuss about what Lord Celeborn told her to never discuss. She could feel eyes watching, ears listening in and yet not urging her to interfere. 

"An elleth whose light flickers every so often. One whose darkness has filled her soul and forced her to fight against her kin. A survivor of the fallen city who has now the marks of a terrible time." Hearing him speak of the marks she rolled down her sleeves more, an action that he caught on quickly. 

"Anyway, what are your plans for today, Mistril? Would you like to take a walk, read in Lord Celeborn's library or-"

"I'd like to train, if possible. My archery needs all the practice it can get." She replied looking at Illion. "Can I borrow your bow?"

Illion raised an eyebrow, his whole demeanour expressing doubt and amusement. But he nodded nonetheless, quite curious what she could do. 

Well, realistically speaking the guard didn't have any expectations but Mistril was awful from her stance to the way she was using the wind in her disfavour. Illion could only think of how she should improve but he didn't particularly voice it out  He shook his head several times in the first ten minutes before he was joined by two other elves. 

"Is that the guest that came with the twins?" Haldir asked looking curiously at the hardworking elleth. "Lady Mistril, right?"

"Isn't she the one Lord Celeborn told us about? The one we should not question." Haldir's brother, Orophin, asked. "She looks like she's fading. The colour of her hair is only the beginning of a long and atrocious death." He added, his eyes softening as he watched Mistril shoot another arrow.

"She's getting better." Haldir pointed out seeing how she was now standing straighter and she was genuinely following the direction from where the wind was blowing.

"That's because she heard you." Elrohir said walking towards the group. "She followed your directions and she's improved her stance and focus." As he said that, Mistril shot an arrow close to the centre of the target.

"She's done it before, hasn't she?" Haldir asked leaning on his right foot. "But obviously it isn't her main skill. I wonder how she acts with a sword in her hand. Have you ever seen her fight?"

Elrohir watched her train by herself but couldn't remember a moment when she actually fought against someone. He did hear Glorfindel talking about it but witnessing it closely was another thing.

"Why don't we check?" Illion asked drawing out his sword.

Elrohir was not excited, not when he knew what position she was in, especially with her sword, Deldhin.

Mistril listened to the Lorien elves carefully and she couldn't help wonder if she could spar and still keep herself in check. She fired another arrow before she walked and placed it on the ground. She heard Illion's footsteps and turned just in time to catch his blade with her bare hands. Illion's blue eyes brightened as he drew back and swayed his sword in order to scare her. Mistril watched him but didn't grab her sword, not that it was there anyway since she didn't plan on fighting soon.

"Should I lend you a sword as well?" he asked, a smirk threatening to appear.

Mistril raised an eyebrow and waited for him to lunge at her before she grabbed her daggers and stopped him, making an X so that she could block the mighty elvish sword. He pushed forcefully, hoping she would break but instead Mistril ducked and moved so that she was behind him. She didn't continue the fight but turned to where the rest of the elves were watching and threw one of the daggers at them. Lord Celeborn caught it easily and smiled as he noticed the hilt.

"My lord, what are you doing here?" Haldir asked surprised that she heard him coming.

"I need to speak to our guest. Illion, prepare for your guarding duty, as should you and your brother, Haldir." He addressed and they nodded in respect. His expression seemed quite the opposite of the one he had when Mistril first arrived; he was the lord of the land, he was strong and wise and he knew how to impose his power. 

Elrohir smiled as she passed him.

"Don't worry, I'm sure there is nothing to worry about. Lord Celeborn will only help," The twin assured her. 

But Mistril remembered her last discussion with Lady Galadriel and that did not go as expected.

2