Chapter 24
35 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Legolas stared at Lady Galadriel for a few seconds, not yet believing what he has heard. The mere information that Mistril, the person he saved and longed to see again after such a long time, was recommended for the use of a better word, not to ever walk into the land of wood elves was blasphemy for him.

Gweluven could sense the sudden tension rising between his prince and the lady of Lorien. Everyone could if they were to be honest. Legolas' expression turned stone cold and he looked all defiant in front of the white lady.  

"Then maybe it is best if Mistril is sent back to Imladris. Lord Elrond knows how to take care of her and if the fits continue to be as violent as they are now, she has Lord Glorfindel beside her." As Gweluven said those words out loud, he knew deep inside that Glorfindel did not have the same power over Mistril as Legolas did. However, it was the best choice considering how the treatment was going.

Legolas glared at his healer and nodded at Celeborn before he stormed off. Gweluven sighed and followed him closely until they got far enough from the house and almost out of the city.

"What do you truly think, Gweluven?" The prince finally asked.

"Lady Galadriel is right. Mistril is not safe here and neither are we if she loses control over her senses. As for who is trying to control her right now, we both know evil lives in our forest. Nobody has entered the fortress in ages but rumors are not just rumors anymore. Whoever has taken over Dol Guldur has been rather active as of late and we need to protect Mirkwood at all costs." Gweluven spoke from the heart, as a civilian who didn't know what Faervel was actually doing.

But Legolas had a vague idea and he was not about to stand in some other elven city and watch his people fight by themselves. 

"We will return to Mirkwood tomorrow. I need to speak to Faervel as soon as possible." Legolas ordered, acting like the prince he was. "And Gweluven, forget what Lady Galadriel said. As long as I am alive, Mistril will always be welcome to Mirkwood." He added in a quiet yet authoritarian tone. 


As if Mistril could hear them through the rocks and stones, she calmed down after that brief discussion. She calmed down to the point she didn't need to be restrained anymore and she even apologized to Illion for his fractured knee. 

"It is as if nothing happened to her," Elladan whispered to his brother as they saw the orange-haired elleth wander through the forest by herself. "Did the calming draught finally work?"

"Maybe. She seems to be the same Mistril we brought here." Elrohir said.

But Mistril knew exactly what happened and what decision made her calm down. She was to leave the elves alone. Evil was too close and it was luring her in. Mistril was sent back in order to receive punishment for the lives she took as Daewen and that mistake was never going to happen again. She was not a killer, to begin with,  she was the daughter of a blacksmith. With that thought in mind, she searched for Galadriel and once she found her she let the words come like a flood.

"I will leave and I will go to a land where there are no triggers. I know you don't want me around elves in general so I will go someplace else." 

"It is not about what I want but about what you are afraid of," Galadriel said in a strict yet empathic tone. "When will you tell them the truth? When will you admit it to yourself?"

"Not yet. I will leave as soon as possible."

"That is what Legolas decided too. He plans to return to Mirkwood."

"When?" Mistril asked, aware of the danger lurking in Dol Guldur.

"Immediately as the sun rises. Will you go with him?" She asked as if she knew the answer already. 

"I can't say I want him to return home right now. It is not safe for him and definitely not for two healers to walk through the forest with so many orcs wandering around." Mistril stated with worry.

"His mind cannot be changed. There are battles he needs to prepare for by himself. He is not the elfling that found you in the forest anymore. He is a prince." Galadriel continued staring deeply into Mistril's green eyes. 

Mistril sighed but did not avert her gaze. Galadriel could not read her thoughts and could definitely not penetrate the walls she had built around her heart. Not even Sauron could know what she felt and Mistril was going to use it to her advantage. 

With that in mind, Mistril approached Arwen who knew more about the fallen warrior's emotional state than anyone at the moment. 

"I think it's time I leave Lorien." Mistril started knowing that one of the brothers was also around. "I will return to Imladris tomorrow." 

"So soon?" Arwen asked with a frown. It was a sudden choice after a sudden change of state. It was still unbelievable how someone could change from an uncontrollable beast to this calm, logical person.

"Lady Galadriel and Lord Celeborn have been very kind, considering my eruptions. But it is time for me to leave. I already stayed too long." She added searching the surroundings with her eyes. 

"Then I will come too. I have much to talk with my father about." 

Mistril stared at Arwen's blue eyes and could not quite believe she was saying the truth. There were ulterior motives that she clearly did not want to discuss.

"What about your brothers?" Mistril didn't pry into details and just constantly agreed to it. "They will not let you go alone with me." 

"I'm sure they miss home too," Arwen said making Mistril give a quiet chuckle. "But I do trust you. I'm not afraid of returning with you alone." 

"That makes one of us," 


Since Mistril did not want to meet Legolas, they waited until around the second breakfast, as she had heard hobbits call the time that was not quite morning but not quite lunch either. Arwen seemed to be shining in the sunlight while both brothers were still very tired after playing all night. 

"You shouldn't have drunk so much," Mistril started seeing how Elladan could barely walk straight. They had only one horse and Arwen was riding it. There was a brother on each of her side and Mistril was behind them. 

"Whatever," Elladan mumbled rubbing his face. "We should get near the river and take a break soon." He added.

"Yes, you should," Mistril stated as she suddenly stopped. 

"What do you mean 'you'?" Elrohir, who was more awake than his brother, asked realizing the reason she was always walking in the back. "What are you planning, Mistril?"

She looked at them, all so young and lively compared to how she felt. They deserved a peaceful life, one where they didn't have to wonder if this crazy elleth was going to murder them in their sleep or not. 

"I'm going to Gondor." 

"What?!" The brothers' loud voices resonated through the forest.

"Why Gondor?" Arwen asked getting off the horse and approaching the older elleth. "Isn't Imladris a better option? Father will help you with whatever you need and lord Glorfindel-" 

"Elves are the reason my light flickers. As I caressed Legolas' hair while being chained to my bed in the healing rooms, I realized I had chosen to become a slave of Mordor because of elves." Mistril said and sighed as she saw their frowns. "I waited for so long, hoping that I wasn't forgotten in a hollow in the mountain but no one came. I was left to die, with nobody to remember me and that is the base that created the Shadow. Legolas gave me a second chance by simply taking me in and I am also thankful for lord Elrond's hospitality and Lady Galadriel's patience. But my place is not with the elves. Even before I died, I did not return to the realm of elves but wandered around the whole of Middle earth." She explained, feeling her heart break as she admitted how unjust her past was.

"But Gondor is so close to Mordor..." Elrohir said taking a step closer. "If your condition worsens with only being near Dol Guldur then- are you sure it is wise?"

"Yes. Although closer to him, Gondor is the best place for me right now. Please be safe and remember me as a friend, not as the Shadow of Angmar." She said and smiled. Mistril patted them all on their heads as if they were children and with one last look over her shoulder, she bid them goodbye. 

"This...I did not expect this." Elladan said now wide awake. 

"Did she plan this? Is that why she came to you, Arwen? I wonder if Legolas knows." 

There were many questions and theories but the siblings continued on their journey to Imladris. They had to inform their father of what had just happened. 


Mistril strayed only a bit from the elven path thinking to herself if she should visit the Wooden realm first or just go straight to the fortress. She had to check if the shadow she had seen before was still there.

As soon as she stepped inside the forest she felt dizzy. Her eyes felt like they were on fire while her mind swirled with screams and other voices she couldn't comprehend. He was watching, she was sure of that. She could feel the bindings grip her wrists with every step taken like a horse being pulled forcefully by his master. 

Her eyes closed as his power surged through her body and even darker memories surfaced. She could almost feel him stand behind her. But then the presence grew more real and she realized it was not a memory anymore. She drew out her daggers and launched but she was stopped by an arrow pointing at her nose. She looked up at the one holding it and sighed in relief.

"Faervel," 

"Mistril? What are you doing here?" He asked lowering his bow immediately. "This wood is no place for a wondering elf."

"I heard about it. Orcs and spiders have been gathering here for months. I didn't expect the forest to react so violently though." Mistril explained, looking at the trees.

"Foul and vile creatures have taken the land over the mountains of Mirkwood. That's what the forest is called now." Faervel said in a bitter tone.

"I know. It is not a good sign." 

Faervel took a moment to look at her, his eyes going unconsciously to her wrists. The marks were so well-contoured by now that he knew her presence in the woods might also be a calling from her former master. 

"You're right. He is calling me to him. But do not think he is pleased with me, Faervel. I left my post and hid during his fall." She explained already sensing what he was thinking.

"I want to see it with my own eyes, what is hidden in the fortress. I need to know in order to protect the kingdom." He said not letting her push him aside.

"What does the king say about your decision?" 

"He knows very little of what I've been doing. He is a good and honourable king and that is why I do not want him to sacrifice for us. Wood elves need him more than they need me." 

"You are quite chatty, aren't you?" She asked with a smile, "What happened to you while I was gone? I believed you to be a silent warrior."

"I am nothing like the Shadow of Angmar." He said it so bluntly that it did not even offend Mistril. 

The way to Dol Guldur took a bit longer than expected mostly because the forest was filled with anxiety. Spiders attacked, which Faervel quickly defeated not letting Mistril draw out her sword. When they arrived at the hill, Faervel needed a moment. It was such strong magic at work that he could barely stand on his feet. 

"Wait here. Do not enter. I am very serious, Faervel. Do not follow me into the fortress." Mistril said calmly yet the tone changed slightly when warning him. 

Step after step, she felt the marks burn her flesh. She could also feel the difference in the power coming from the darkness. She did not imagine it could fight its way out so violently and yet it has. She walked for a bit until she arrived in a spot surrounded by old statues of the kings of men. Pieces of shadows crawled from deep within the ruins and they united right in front of her.

"I have been waiting." His voice sent a chill down her spine, reminding her of all the deaths she had caused. Even after hundreds of years, he could still kneel her if he wanted to. 

"Lord Sauron." She couldn't help but say. It came so naturally. 

"I know what you did, Daewen. I know you left." He added sounding angry. "I expected it. That is why I gave you those marks."

"They brought me only suffering." She said trying to be strong under his direct influence.

"They gave you strength."

"You bound me to you. You didn't trust me."

"You broke your loyalty pledge, Daewen. I should punish you but I will not. I need your power." 

"What if I refuse? You already have plenty as I see." She said glancing down at the noisy orcs lurking in the lower levels of the fortress.

Darkness surrounded her, suffocating her. 

"I created you. I gave you a purpose. You are mine." He said suddenly disappearing. 

"It's different now," Mistril whispered closing her eyes tightly. 

"I am your master. You pledged your life to me and I shall use it once more." He added so close as if he was right behind her.

Mistril jolted and looked all around her but he was gone. Unfortunately, Faervel was caught attempting to enter the fortress, right on the bridge, by a white ghost of the past.

She ran in front of him seeing how the ghost had its hand on his sword. 

"There is no need for a fight." She growled facing the former king of Easterlings. He looked down at her as he rose in the air with the same demeanor as when he was alive.

"You shouldn't forget who you belong to."

"You have no authority over me, Khamul." She continued her eyes narrowing at him. 

"Such big words for a mere slave of Mordor. One who betrayed and fled the war." He hissed angrily. "You will answer to your master, Daewen. When the time comes, you will obey."

"I would rather kill you than listen to your orders." 

From Faervel's point of view, who did not know the dark language enough to understand them, it looked like Mistril was egging on one of the Nazgul. 

"Elves have betrayed you, don't forget that." The ghost of the former king said before he flew deeper into the fortress.


"Are you alright?" They walked for a while in the forest until Faervel finally asked. 

"Since when have you been so open with me, Faervel?" She asked back jokingly. She looked fine, rather unfazed by her little dispute with the Nazgul. "You should tell Thranduil of what has been going on in the fortress. If Khamul is there it means the wood elves have more to worry about than a petty fight against the dwarves. He can attack Lothlorien and Mirkwood...Thranduil doesn't have a magic ring to protect him."

"I will tell him what he needs to know. What do you plan to do now?" He asked noticing that her hands were trembling. 

"I'm...going to Gondor. I have to keep myself hidden for a while." She answered although she looked at the way to the Halls with longing. 

"If he is back, then-" he stopped when she raised her hand for him to shut up.

"He was never dead, to begin with. You only took the ring and transformed him into what he is today, a mass of pure darkness. He is not relevant now, he is calling everyone to him but that's it." 

Faervel looked down at his ragged attire before he glanced up at her. He was so tired.

"The ring is lost." He finally said.

Mistril knew better about his whereabouts but decided to keep that information to herself. 

"Good. Keep it that way."

1