Epilogue
49 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was just normal for a being that belonged in nature to return to simplicity and settle down as close to the forest as possible. 

That was the case for Mistril as well. After centuries of wandering the world, helping men in their endeavours and fulfilling her destiny, she found it vital to go back to her roots. The forests in Scotland were the best place because she was aware of the stories that were born there, such as The Lord of The Rings. A little tale she told a man during the war evolved into a real masterpiece and now, she was living there as a sign of respect for him. That and it reminded her of the peaceful atmosphere of the Shire. 

She smiled at her collection before she turned towards her laptop. Technology has greatly improved and developed throughout the years and she was thankful to have seen it happen and experience it. Elves were now just a folktale or a subject of interest for young adult movies. Nobody knows what truly happened back then, which is better. Being a supernatural being herself, it would have been weird to have people flock at her door or worse, have scientists kidnap her in the middle of the night. 

Actually, Mistril did change too. Her once short orange hair was now longer and darker. She had bangs because it helped with covering a big part of her face so that people will not realize she hasn't aged at all. The colour of her eyes, though, was the same and so were her elven ears. Nowadays was a lot easier coming up with excuses but during early centuries, it was uncommon to have pointed ends and some even called her a demon for it. If only they knew she was once the Shadow of Angmar...

Her doorbell rung and she looked up in surprise. She went downstairs and opened to meet the worried expression of a man. 

"Have you seen Maggie? She was playing with the dog in the backyard but now she just took off and I can't find her." 

Mistril frowned and glanced at how dark it was outside. The man was Maggie's father, Donald. He was living a few kilometres away, closer to the city than Mistril. 

"Don't worry. I'll check if she perhaps came by the training grounds." 

Donald nodded and hurried to his car. He needed more people for this quest because the forest looked different at night and Maggie could get in serious danger.

Mistril grabbed a cardigan and her keys and walked outside. It was cold since it was late February, but it felt nice. Since Mistril needed to make money, she had always taken jobs in fields that she was good at, such as giving swordfight lessons, forging or carpentry. She was even an archer for the national team in Japan at one point in her life, and a guard for the Queen of England. She experienced much more than she expected and she always had to fake her death and send her money as inheritance to her allegedly long lost daughter. It worked well until she noticed how the new tech could identify her face and prints. That was probably why she moved as far as possible from civilization, but still close enough to make some money. 

Anyway, now she had an archery school and the kids from the near cities and villages loved coming to her. It was a pleasure for everyone and children could leave their phones and PlayStation and whatever behind for a few hours and just focus on their skills. Maggie was one of them. She was 10 years old and she loved spending time at the training grounds. 

It was imperative that Mistril used her connection to nature in order to find the girl as soon as possible. She walked in with her bow and a few arrows just in case she met a wild animal. The elleth walked for a few silent hours until she heard a child's high pitched voice. 

"Who are you?" Came Maggie's voice. "Are you a ghost?" 

Mistril frowned and drew an arrow. She was ready to shoot when she noticed something very peculiar. It was indeed a transparent being that stood with Maggie but it looked strangely familiar.

"I'm a spirit of nature. I'm not going to hurt you but you will have to trust me. We need to return you to your home." He spoke with authority and yet soft enough for Maggie not to get scared.

"Faervel?" Mistril asked, approaching them warily. The spirit turned around faster than air and he needed a moment to realise who called his name. "It is you." 

Faervel looked the same as when she had last seen him, only more tired. 

"Mistril?" Faervel asked just as surprised. 

Maggie looked at the spirit before she hurried to Mistril's side. 

"Who is this man, Miss Moira?" 

Faervel raised an eyebrow at the new name. She definitely looked like a different person but the eyes gave her away. Nobody could have such a mix of colors but Valdaglerion's daughter. 

"He is Faervel. He was once a great commander that helped and protected his people. Now, he is...fading." Mistril spoke feeling a sudden tinge of pain in her heart. "Why are you still here?" 

"Come with me. He's been waiting for a very long time to meet you again." Faervel said with an expression of relief and joy. 

Mistril swallowed nervously and glanced at the child. She seemed eager to know more and Mistril couldn't leave her all alone in the forest. Therefore, they both followed Faervel as he walked even deeper through the trees. 

"Are we going to be kidnapped by a psycho?" Maggie asked keeping close to her archery professor.

"No. Nothing will happen as long as I am here." She reassured the child which made Faervel chuckle to himself. 

"You were always good with kids. Always encouraging them to play and live their own little adventures." Faervel commented as he led them towards his secret spot.

"You didn't answer me. Why are you still here? Why didn't you go with the rest to Valinor?" 

"I couldn't leave him by himself. Neither could Gweluven." 

Mistril was growing more and more anxious because she didn't want to anticipate and get her hopes up for nothing but it seemed like her only dream was materializing before her. 

They walked for an hour or so before they reached a stream. They followed it until they arrived in front of a small waterfall. Faervel walked through the water and into the cave that was safely hidden behind the blue veil. And then, right there was the familiar entry into the Halls of Thranduil. 

"I'll keep Maggie safe out here. She cannot enter as she is...too young." Faervel came up with a believable excuse. 

"Not fair." Maggie said with a pout. 

Mistril approached the gate and as soon as she touched it, it opened before her. She couldn't believe that she was about to step into the one place she had always wanted to return to.

The Halls were just as wide and intertwined with nature as she remembered. Because they were empty, every step she took echoed through every corridor. She walked up to where she knew his throne was and couldn't believe her eyes. It was still there.

"Who are you and how did you manage to walk through the gates?" 

Although she could feel the coldness of the steel on the back of her neck, Mistril's heart was beating really fast for a different reason. He was there, behind her. No, she needed to see it with her own eyes. The elleth turned around slowly and met the grey eyes and long platinum hair of the Elvenking. 

"Well? Who are you?" He asked with a glare.

He looked just as tired as Faervel, if not even more. For an elf, even royal, to be able to survive for so long and not fade was impossible. People's beliefs changed and even if they believed in magic, it was still not enough to sustain a real elf. 

"You are real. You are here, for real." Mistril said still not able to wrap her mind around what was happening. 

Thranduil was puzzled. He walked closer to her and put his sword away, seeing how she could not overpower him. As he stepped closer, he saw her eyes better. That mix of green, just like a leaf during spring. He only knew one person with such a colour. He frowned and grabbed her face, checking if she was indeed his runaway lover.

"Mistril?" 

Mistril couldn't even speak, she just started to cry. As tear fell down her cheeks, Thranduil couldn't help but kiss her. They were together, at long last. He defied the Valar and waited for her and eventually, she found her way back to him.

2