Chapter 10, Van HELSING
172 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 10, Van HELSING

Tokyo, Takashi’s Penthouse.

One week later, Takashi was on his computer, viewing a particularly gory series of films, as Sei, Kaze and team grouped on him.

“I didn’t know you like this genre, Taka-kun.”Said Sei.

“...” Kaze was silently watching.

“Well, thanks the world you won’t find this movies on sales or rent,  as I’m not sure if you really want to know the truth.”

“Truth?”Asked Kato.

“This were filmed by CCTV cameras I putt in place in the apartment used by the group you can see on screen”.

Kaze and Sei were silently staring at one of the victims, a young enamored teenager, who got his heart broken after his crush’s underground fight.

“Are you kidding us? Do you really think we would believe that vampires are among us now?”

“Say the moron I try to train to fight against aliens.”

“Do you have to insult me every-time?”

“You make it impossible for me to resist.”

Sei was chuckling next to Takashi, the group thinking it was because of the usual Takashi/Kurono duo’s behavior. Kato and Kaze ware staring intently at the screens. While Kishimoto went to puke.

The wall of screens in front of them was showing each a different angle or timestamp. All participants were easily identifiable as they participated in a bloody feast. Most of the victims were females, apparently lured by the beauty of their killers. Some tried to fight back only to be overpowered. Some cried. Other pleaded. The rest was a mix of bargaining, threatening and screaming. But the only constant, was the thirst. And the monsters on screen were quenching theirs by th buckets.

“How many victims were there?”

“Twelve and counting.”

“Will gantz sent us fight them?”

“Not really.”

Seeing that his answer were raising more questions from the group’s faces, Takashi pursued.

“Gantz’ target and focus in on the aliens. He won’t look into them unless they became a threat to the system. Now our problem here is that they already now about us.”

“How?” Asked Sei.

“You all experienced how gantz missions make you invisible for passerby. But as you never encountered any of them, you can’t know that they can see us.”

Takashi taped some commands on his keyboard, showing a contact lens on screen.

“They developed this lens to be able to track us. They see us as the HUNTERS.”

“How were they able to develop this lens? Does someone on earth have something like it?” Asked Kato.

“Yep. Usually you call them aliens. Pretty funny no? This guys allied themselves with our sworn enemies. Not knowing a whole bunch of them will come later to kill us. Well, when you see humans as cattle, it’s always easier to place yourself on the side of the fork.”

“What’s the plan to kill them?” Asked Kaze, breaking his silence for the first time today.

Takashi taped some key, showing what appeared like a tall black haired teenager, with a backpack.

“Isn’t that the guy you talked to a week ago? He was staring at you everyday since.”

“His name is SHION IZUMI, a former gantzer.”

“He’s an ally then.”

“No, Au contraire.”

In front of the group curious look Takashi explained.

“This asshole was a participant of gantz’ mission back in the days. But unlike what I try to make you do, collaborate as a team, kill the aliens, win the missions. His way of winning was to kill the other participants, using them as bait and meat-shield. Until the moment he got a hundred points. Now keep in mind it was before I arrived in gantz. Back then, you could only die, escape with a hundred points, or exchange this points for a more powerful weapon.”

“And he went out?”

“Yes. But apparently, the mind-wipe wasn’t good enough to prevent him from remembering the adrenaline’s rush of the missions. I hacked into his computer.”

He was showing them different screen-captures now, making them pale.

“Izumi know all gantz’ mission’s participants either died from heart-attack like Goro, accidents like most of us, suicides like Kishimoto or murders like Sei and Kaze. Guess which method he decided to use to get back in the game.”

The screens were now showing a plan of Shinjuku Street, with access points, escapes points, target lines, a timetable indicating the most crowded hours, a cash-ticket for make-up. And finally, a gun with it’s ammunition.

“Why did you contact him then?” asked Kurono.

“One of the best way to win the war. Make your enemies fight each other. Our dear psychopath is about to enter the vampire’s den, thinking it’s a possible gantz former members meeting place.”

“Why would he trust you?” Asked Kato.

He didn’t. And I clearly showed him I didn’t trust him either. But by making sure people saw the gantz web-site some former gantzers created on my tablet, I was first able to bait him. He know I can’t talk to him about gantz. Not without losing my head. Me not talking openly, reassured him about what I’m. But that guy being the chess player he is, saw my move as what it was. A bait for people who either found the web-site, or for former gantzers. I then gave him a burner-phone. Acting like I don’t want it to be traced to me. Even if I knew he already investigated my identity beforehand. I sent him on a secret mission, to look into a potential former group.”

The screens were now showing Izumi about to knock at the vampire’s door. The angle was good enough to show the right hand of the vampire’s leader open the door. After what appeared a quick chat. Izumi went inside. Takashi changed the screen cameras, putting the ones inside the apartment on the wall.

Izumi went to salute to group, apparently asking them questions. The vampire were nonchalantly answering, not caring about him, when their attitude went through an abrupt change. They righted themselves on their settees, looking at the leader for instructions. The leader got up, walking slowly to Izumi, saying what looked like threats, as the latter’s body moved his feet, ready to flee. All the screens went blank suddenly and as the images went back to normal, Izumi wasn’t visible anymore. The outside camera showing him running as fast as possible.

The vampire were fast to follow his tracks. And the spectators could now see Izumi, checking periodically behind him, grabbing a phone in his bag, while his other hand was holding a gun.

As the call connected, Takashi was quick to answer him.

“Dominoe’s pizza. Hello, what can I do to help you today?”

“Stop screwing around, you perfectly know it’s me, Izumi.”

“I’ve no idea whose Izumi you’re talking about sir, may I inquire of your order?”

“Fuck off, bitch, I’m Izumi, a former gantzer like you’re right now. I just went to check on these guys you told me to and they’re after me.”

Stress and pain could be eared in his speech, as Takashi and his group saw him go through a fast-food joint, while leaving a bloody partial hand-print on the door.

“What’s your location?” Said Takashi, dropping the not-knowing act.

I’m three streets south of their apartment and bleeding. Help me fast”.

“Ok, I have your phone pinged now. Go right at the next crossroad, then straight until you see an Chinese-antic shop. The door will be open. Run inside, go to the basement, you will see a panic-room.”

As Takashi was piloting him, the group could see Izumi follow his instructions, the vampires hot on his tail. Izumi barely had time to jump above the stairs to the basement. Sliding on the tiles at the bottom, he got up visibly hurt. As the vampire’s leader right hand was about to grab him. Izumi was able to press the button on the panic-room side, dropping a wall to close it.

The vampires were disappointed by the outcome and were looking to see how to open this vault. During this time, Takashi, from his apartment, was checking to count them, insuring all were there.

“What’s your plan now?” Asked Sei.

“Like Tom Cruise would say, “Light the fuse””.

A few key strokes closed a heavy concealed door in the basement, trapping the vampires and Izumi. The group could now see flames going inside the basement, torching the vampires and Izumi’s panic-room.

“Do you think some of them could survive?” Asked Sei.

“All intern-part of the walls are made with one inch of termite, ventilation system put a surcharge of oxygen in the room to favor combustion. Outer-part of the walls are made with a one feet large layer of tungsten to contain it. It could melt a T-800, so no chance what so ever. Then I’m going to teleport the whole structure over the deep-sea.”

I won’t forgive you for what you did to Reika-chan in our past life.

Asta la vista, baby !

5