Chapter 8 –  Shall We?
173 3 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was the first time in a long while that Eleonora felt so nervous and anxious. Even without being in her physical body, her whole being trembled.

Why was she so nervous?

No, I can't let these nerves overpower me. Focus!

Eleonora checked the connection with that human again and again, unlike the other attempts, it remained intact.

Why isn't he thinking anything...?

Eleonora thought, noting the silence in the mind of that human.

[I see... so you can't read my thoughts if I say things aloud.]

So, that's what you've done!

Eleonora was surprised.

[What is your name?]

[My name is Eleonora]

[Eleonora... well, how long can you wait?]

How long could she wait?

That question briefly made Eleonora laugh.

How long had she waited for this moment to arrive? It had been so long that quantifying it would be total madness, but none of that mattered now.

Now, Eleonora only had one priority: to escape from this place!

[What's so funny?] asked the confused human upon hearing Eleonora's laughter in his head.

[It doesn't matter. Just come, and I'll tell you if you're getting closer to me or not]

[Eleonora, I understand that you need help, but I need to know how long you can hold on to devise a plan. I'm currently in a difficult situation.]

[I understand...]

[How long do you think you can hold out? Do you know exactly where you are?]

[The last thing I remember is that a lot of snow started accumulating on top of me, so I can't see exactly what's happening above me. However, I can feel several creatures around me]

[I understand. And about the time...]

[I can wait for you as long as you need, just don't stray too far]

[Sure?]

[Yes]

[Oh, darn it. Doesn't he understand that I'm busy?], suddenly thought the communicating human, catching Eleonora off guard.

Throughout most of their conversation, everything had been calm, but in this last thought, Eleonora sensed some annoyance.

Had she done something wrong?

[Sorry. A friend kept pestering me for saying things out loud; that wasn't meant for you]

Eleonora felt relief upon hearing that thought.

[Then... I'll come for you when I solve certain problems here]

◇◆◇

"Are you crazy?! Can't you see we're trapped here, and you want to go help someone you don't even know?" Alexia protested, crossing her arms, trying to dissuade Isuke.

Alexia couldn't understand how Isuke could come up with such an idea, and she was showing her refusal to assist him.

"Go alone. This place is too dangerous to play heroes."

While Alexia expressed her disagreement, Leo tried to reason.

"I understand you want to help, but we don't know if it's a trap or not. Everyone ignored that voice for that reason. The risk is too high. Besides, we're trying to figure out how to get out of here."

Isuke sighed at his companions' denial.

What could he do now?

Although he was a mage, going alone would be an extremely risky adventure without his companions.

"If only another mage would accompany me... or perhaps a priest would be useful."

Alexia was about to reprimand Isuke for insisting on his idea when suddenly, they heard several screams.

Turning around, they saw a girl stumbling, but everyone focused on the artifact on the ground.

It was the same artifact that had transported them!

Soon, they all realized that the girl had been responsible for the accident.

The professor clicked his tongue, finally relieved from the commotion of the students around him.

"Stupid! How could you drop something so important?" shouted one of the students at the girl who had stumbled.

"Quick! Someone check if the artifact is alright. We've already taken care of the enemies, but if we get stuck here... I don't even want to think about that," exclaimed another student, urged by the situation.

Several students hurried to check the condition of the artifact to hand it over to the professor, while the girl who had stumbled got up on her own and tried to slide away from everyone. At that moment, her only hope was to disappear.

"I want to die..." the girl whispered in a sad tone.

Suddenly, someone's voice resonated right behind her.

"Hey."

"Yes! I get it, I'm sorry... I'm a mess, right?" the girl hurriedly replied, expecting criticism.

"I'm not interested in that. Could you support me while I go to rescue someone?" asked Isuke.

"Huh?" the girl hesitated, confused.

"Could you support me while I go to rescue someone?"

"What? Didn't you see what I did a few seconds ago? I dropped that stupid artifact and..."

"It doesn't matter."

What do you mean it doesn't matter, idiot, can't you see I'm useless!

That's what the girl wanted to shout, but she didn't want to degrade herself to that level.

"Who exactly do you want to help? I'm only good at healing, so..."

"Isuke! Are you really going?" interrupted Alexia angrily as she approached them. Leo, following her, seemed to support her stance.

"If you don't want to help, I won't force you. I just... have to do it," Isuke explained, trying to keep calm and not delve further into his reasons.

While Alexia displayed her anger, the girl whom Isuke had addressed looked confused around her.

What was happening?

Why did it seem like she was about to get into an even bigger problem?

First, she had agreed to carry the artifact, and now it seemed like she was being involved in something worse!

 

 

 

8