Chapter 8 – Suit of Ares (2)
143 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sitting at a table in the restaurant's furthest corner, Sylen could not tear her gaze away from the green bracelet on Omega's wrist.

"Please, we hope you are going to enjoy our special drinks, dear customers!" flew to their table, a waitress, accompanied by a floating tray of ice-cold, fizzy, blue refreshments. It was a funny scene as she was barely any bigger than the tray itself, reaching a height of 60 or 70 centimeters only. Her pinkish skin was shining, her curly, blond hair flowed like water, and her angelic, puffy features drew smiles from anyone who looked at her. This a perfect trait to receive ample tips while working in the entertainment industry. This time it was no different for her as she was expecting generous tips from them, putting down the big glass of drinks, accompanied by her purest smile. "A pair of Saphir's Dew!" She looked at Omega with sparkling blue eyes, hoping to charm the guy for an even juicier tip. Something she was already used to.

"Hey! I'm the one who pays!" Sylen scoffed, looking at the little, cherub-like 'angel' with slanted eyes.

"Oh." the waitress flinched, changing her expression of innocence into that of annoyance with a snap of a finger. She said with a flat, much deeper tone, without the fluff and cute style from previously, flapping her feathered, bird-like wings behind her. Fixing her maid-like costume, she held out her small wrist towards Sylen. "14.95 credit, please."

"What?" Sylen flinched while Omega was already sipping, enjoying the sweet taste. "It said 7.50!" Sylen said, pointing at the menu.

"For pairs only." The waitress rolled her blue eyes.

"We are a pair!" She countered, unwilling to pay that much, not backing down at all. It was enough to buy a used set of garments for herself! Not some… fizzy, sparkly drinks! The discounted price was already way too pricey for her taste, but Omega insisted on trying it out as it looked nice on the holo-pictures.

"Honey, I have been doin' this for 40 years! You are just a lil' chick, learnin' to fly… you ain’t foolin’ me…” She leaned forward, stretching her small arm as far as she could. The restaurant's work bracelet beeped once, signaling it was ready to accept the payment. "14.95. I have other shits to deal with, 'kay?" She hurried her, becoming increasingly impatient.

"The-" Sylen tried again, but the waitress just grinned.

"Then kiss!" She cut in, turning towards Omega, who was still just slurping his drink, watching the two curiously.

"..." Sylen froze up for a while but quickly regained her composure, already leaning forward, pursing her lips… quickly telling everyone who watched them she had never ever kissed.

"Here." Omega flipped his ID card, pressing it against the waitress's wrist, paying for the drinks from his newfound wealth.

"Thanks~" The waitress giggled, floating away quickly.

"It was just a kiss…." Sylen murmured, her face flushed utterly, looking at Omega's lips for a brief moment before turning her eyes away.

"Your first kiss," Omega replied, twirling the ice cubes with his straw. "Don't throw it away for a few credits."

"She was irritating me with that fake, childish act she was putting on!" She scoffed, taking a big sip from hers too. "And who says it would be my first kiss anyway?"

"..." Omega did not answer, just smiled, watching her until she calmed down. "I have money, too; it was not a big deal." He said, finding her cute and amusing at the same time.

"From where?" She asked, happy to drop the topic as fast as possible.

"I… made it happen." He scratched his cheek, feeling a bit guilty about it, but Sylen just grinned.

"Sly~ So? What is it? Exactly?"

"Insurance mo-"

"Not your money! I'm asking about the bracelet! That Ares, whatever!" She asked with a whisper, trying to keep a low profile, leaning forward with a curiously wagging tail.

"It…" He looked at it, clamped around his wrist. "The Suit of Ares is… was, a battlesuit, built for ship-to-ship combat."

"Ship to ship?" She raised her eyebrow, slurping loudly from her glass. "Isn't that suicide? A proper warship would obliterate something like that!"

"If it can get a lock-on, yes." Omega nodded. "These were mobile enough to avoid most weapon systems designed for the usual type of warfare in space. Not to mention, they were equipped with personal shieldings and could be armed with a multitude of weapon systems. They would change it to match the mission parameters they were sent on. They were much faster and nimble than any traditional fighters. All-in-all, they were the scalpel in any operation they partook in!"

"I still can't imagine how they would take on a warship! They have superior shields, not to mention their platings! Even when the shielding fails, they can take a beating before they start to crumble!"

"They did not aim to blow them up." Omega shook his head as if speaking from experience. "As I said, they were a unit designed for precision!" He smiled, "With the correct equipment, they could disrupt the shields of any ship, fly in close, and disable crucial parts on it!" He raised his fingers, counting on them. "Disable communications, engines, shield generators, weapons, and hangar bays. You name it! They never fought alone, either! After a swarm of Ares was on their way, their warships followed suit, destroying any disabled enemy vessel. You had to do something stealthily? Task them by sneaking past enemy lines! Or lay down an ambush! They were the best and main option for most engagements!"

"Really?" She blinked her eyes, mesmerized, already immersed in his tale about the suits, imagining action-packed battles where a squadron of them assaulted a massive warship.

"Yes… and they had another great advantage. The battle amongst asteroid fields, capturing a station if they wanted it intact or with as little battle damage as possible. They could be used in tight spaces where a fighter or a warship would fail. Not to mention if it was a planetary invasion! They could enter a planet's atmosphere and wage war on its surface."

"Woah…!" She exhaled, already finishing her drink. "How do you know all this?"

"I…" Omega shuddered, starting to blink his eyes, looking down at the bracelet before back at her. "I just… do? It is like I always knew this. As if I learned about it once." He explained as best as he could.

"Hmmm, well, you are weird enough! So I do believe you! I had never met someone who could survive in the void without a suit. And being burnt by a flamer. And open an Astropath by hand." She replied with more and more of a twitching mouth. "So this? This is way more easily believable! No wonder the ancestors managed to conquer the Galaxy!"

"Conquering…" He whispered softly but just shook his head, finishing his drink and returning his mind to its calm, collected state. "The control device is person-bound. Unidentified wearers wouldn't be able to activate it, so I overwrote it." He shook his hand, not explaining when or how he did that. "If we find it, I could control the suit through this. If it is still in the operational state, of course!"

"I don't think the previous pilot would come and search for it; your kind has been missing for a long time!" Sylen sighed, watching his face, scanning him over and over again.

"What?" Omega asked, wiping his mouth, thinking something was on it.

"It is hard to believe I am sitting here, having a drink with a human…." She whispered softly, "Like a dream!"

“Ugh… please… I am just that, a human. Okay?" He flinched, feeling weirded out by her look. It contained… something… unsettling, not because of Sylen but because of him himself. He did not like being looked upon like something… different… something he was not.

"Exactly!" Sylen grinned, taking it as if he was embarrassed. "A human! An ancestor! You could be our savior!"

"I am not that!" He answered immediately, darting his eyes left and right nervously.

"Okay, okay, I won't tease you~" Sylen giggled, turning her eyes back onto the bracelet. "We never heard about something like this. Of course, I am not part of the military, but we frequently have conflicts with others. It would already be public knowledge if we had something like those Ares thingies! Can they be replicated?"

"From this alone? No, that would be impossible." He shook his head. "This only acts as the key to the paired suit. With this, the pilot can link up with it and control it through his or her thoughts. That is why they were much more nimble! They reacted to the user's intentions, which is way faster than anything else!"

"Oh! And if we have the suit… What then? Could we reverse engineer it?" Sylen thought out loudly, crossing her arms and scratching her chin.

"I don't know. Depends on your scientists." Omega shrugged. "But as I said, I can track it down with this!"

"How?" Her eyes lit up, already seeing a heap of credits. If they could recover and sell it to the government… they would be rich! Filthy rich!

"Here." He tapped on it, and another holographic image emerged, showing a star chart.

"Idiot!" Sylen yelped, trying to keep her voice low, unsuccessfully. She was pressing on it with two hands, panicking, trying to block the bracelet's projection off. "Not here!" She gasped, looking around, but luckily nobody was paying attention to them.

"Oh… sorry!" He smiled apologetically. "It shows the last active place of the suit. The sector's name is the Damoclesian Rift."

"The what?" Sylen grimaced as she had never heard about it.

"I don't know." He shook his head. "That is what the last recorded information is in the bracelet. That is what we… they called it."

"That won't help much; we don't know a lot of old names, places, or events!" She sighed dejectedly. "Very… very much of your history is gone! We only find little shards of the life of your people, even when we come across entire data caches!"

"I noticed that when I read over the station's data logs." Omega nodded. "Especially the part about your own history; it was full of holes." he leaned back in agreement with her.

"Yeah!" She shook her head. "That's us! Orphans in a hostile Galaxy! It was what Kaltazar called us back then. So finding that suit is going to be extremely difficult!"

“Mmm… well…” He smiled a little, making Sylen's ear flutter and sharpen as her tail stood erect, expecting him to continue. "Since checking it, I have been comparing the star chart in the bracelet with those I 'downloaded' from the… khm, doctor's office."

"Where did you store that?" She tilted her head, looking at him as if she had never noticed he was playing around with a personal computer.

"Here." He tapped the side of his head. "I memorized it all. I already found 5 similar-looking charts; I just need a little time to study them and determine the suit's exact location."

"What are you, a walking computer?" She tilted her head, looking at him with incredulity.

"I just have a good memory!" He chuckled, leaning back.

"Too good!" She murmured, watching his violet eyes. "But that is great!" she shuddered, gulping loudly as she salivated. "Let's go back and tell Pa about it!"

"Hehe, sure!" Omega nodded, standing up as he followed the hurrying friend of his. It was clear, Sylen could barely wait to break the exciting news to Miyon.

7