Chapter 10 – Major General
126 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Major General Parthen greeted them at his own place. As soon as they stepped off their ship, a group of soldiers escorted them into the deepest part of the shipyard. It was a sparsely decorated room, but the floor and walls were overlaid with natural wood, giving it a warmth many other places lacked. Mainly for Sylen, who lived her whole life in a flying, metal box.

"Is that a fireplace?" Sylen whispered to his grandfather, seeing one for the first time. The huge, natural, wooden, half-circle-shaped office table was placed right before a panoramic glass wall. Looking through it, they could see the picturesque landscape of the Galaxy, as the whole room lit up in a bluish light when the Astropath opened up not that far away, and a massive ship had floated out of its maw. Watching nature's interstellar highway manifest in real space, spewing out a warship that was ten times bigger than the Dawn, was simply mesmerizing.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Parthen sighed, watching it with a half-smile.

"It is; never before I saw one!" Sylen replied, but she was talking about the fireplace still, watching the fire dance in it. She only saw one that was an imitation, a simulation. Getting across biological material was a luxury they could not afford. Miyon wanted to nudge her to stay silent, but Parthen had already turned towards them, smiling, following her gaze.

He was around the same height as Omega, looking just the same as Miyon and Sylen, having a similar pair of ears and tail, only black in color. His blue eyes were firm and full of life, even as he was nearing his 60th birthday. His body was slim and fit, exuding the aura of a predator, of a wolf, ready to chase its prey no matter where he ran to. His face had some wrinkles, unavoidable as the years relentlessly passed by, yet he still looked like someone who had just celebrated his 40th birthday. He wore his standard, black military uniform with crimson-colored edges and many medals decorating his chest.

"Glad you like it." He nodded, walking forward, looking at the other two, and finally resting his eyes on Omega for a few seconds. "Please sit." he pointed at the leather couch in front of the fireplace as a maid came in simultaneously. She was of a similar breed as them, only with bunny-like ears and more fur on her arms and thighs that were showing in the tight, short costume she was wearing. She courteously bowed, bringing in fresh tea, placing a cup before them, and pouring it out gracefully, without a word.

"Thank you," Miyon answered as they sat down.

"Mmm, it smells nice!" Sylen licked her lips, unafraid of the situation. For her, they could do nothing by now. It was best if they took it at face value, enjoying the little things instead of worrying like her grandfather did. Especially as she watched Omega, who was calm and unbothered, giving her a significant amount of courage that everything would be okay.

"It is a brew directly from Saphir." The maid smiled, finishing serving the tea, holding her empty tray close to her body, and standing behind Parthen.

The Major General walked before the fireplace, picking out a pipe from his uniform's inner pocket, lighting it up, remaining to stand, looking at them from an upward angle. It was a conscious decision on his part, already employing psychological warfare, ensuring he was seen as someone with complete authority over them here. Which was almost true. Of all the three, it was best working on Miyon. His life experiences quickly made his head bow to the alpha in the room, but for Sylen, it was less successful as she followed along with Omega's mood instead. She was still young, inexperienced, and sheltered. It would not be a problem to influence her the way he wanted. If it comes to that. That was the Major General's honest first thought. About the other one… Parthen was unsure about the third individual's thoughts and standings. He read the trio's files and backgrounds and knew that 'Alfonse' here was injured and mostly lost his memories. He was recently found and rescued by the two. Now, he was following them as a new crewmember without a home or a ship. At least that was what his files, recorded in the Neo-Hegemony's system, told him. There was no time to make sure that the past he had recorded in his files was also actual or not. Files could be altered. That was a fact he knew very well. Looking into his eyes, I thought there was something else in them. Something he couldn't visualize in his own mind yet. Parthen's instincts were honed in multiple battles, rising from a junior officer on a medium-sized warship to the Major General's role, the main head of Mors Caminus. This was not done by relying on his studies only. It was a mix of his wit, instincts, and luck. The same combination that now told him something was off.

"It is nice," Omega said, bringing Parthen back from his thoughts as the former put his empty cup back onto the small coffee table before them.

"Mmm, it is!" Sylen nodded, wagging her tail softly, enjoying the exquisite taste of the tea.

"Happy to hear it!" Parthen nodded before continuing, "Now, about the device…."

"Here." Miyon gulped, taking it out from his pocket and placing it on the table.

"Interesting." Parthen looked at it, nodding at his maid, who walked forward, picking it up and inspecting it.

"It is made from a synthetic material." "I'd have to run tests on it to determine what kind." The bunny girl spoke softly, twisting her little nose.

"Almost," Omega said suddenly. "It is a mix between a carbon-based alloy, namely 718, with psycho-active detrium mixed into it. The former was widely available, and the latter was lab-created. It is not found in nature at all. It was specially developed for this technology. It is what gives the bracelet its function, power, and flexibility. Giving a stiff, metallic bracelet the properties of rubber when activated." He explained, drawing everyone's attention onto himself.

"Really now…" Parthen murmured, taking a deep drag from his pipe.

"I was the one who found it." Omega smiled in response.

"That… is true," Sylen whispered, shifting her sitting position a little. Miyon was happy that Omega was the one receiving the gaze of the Major General. He honestly didn't know if he could take it much longer anyway. It was nerve-wracking, like looking into the eyes of his own torturer.

"She is not lying." Parthen thought as he could hear and smell out if someone did. He was still atop of his senses, honed to recognize swindlers and those who were aiming for achievement, embellishing their own stories. Turning towards Omega, he wasn't lying either. Also… he wasn't scared or intimidated by his presence. Maybe it was his heritage? Coming from the same line as Kaltazar? He also faced adversaries all his life; perhaps his strong will has trickled down to his children, roaming the Galaxy? "Please, continue." he smiled in the end, signaling Omega to speak freely.

He turned his eyes toward the bracelet in the bunny girl's hand. "It is an ancient design. The detrium inside of it can pick up the thoughts of its wearer and transform them accordingly. It is also the transfer device between the pilot's consciousness and the machine's AI core."

"AI?" Parthen asked with a deeper tone, his eyes turning much more severe.

The idea behind AI was not strange to them. At least not, because it was a far-fetched idea. They knew it existed before, in the time of the true Hegemony. Creation of their ancestors. Even this station was once bolstered by the power of an AI, serving as its core, automatizing many procedures for its human creators. The AI was deleted entirely when it was rediscovered by the scientists under Kaltazar. Exterminated. The computers were still here, a giant core of the most advanced devices ever found, capable of computing at the quantum level. Yet there was no soul in it, not anymore. Until today, they were working on it, rediscovering new things from it, barely scratching the surface of how it even worked.

"Are you… saying this has something to do with true AI?" Parthen asked his throat a bit drier than before. What they had now were only automatons. Pre-programmed machines that acted to their designated parameters. Unable to adapt, evolve, think.

"No, not true, AI," Omega answered, shaking his head, disappointing Parthen a little, same with Sylen, who was listening on curiously. Finding a working AI would be the miracle of miracles. "That would be dangerous! Linking up a human consciousness with a machine's, who knows what would happen then! It could kill both or just one of them!" he shook his head with a small smile. "But it had a very sophisticated, self-correcting algorithm. Capable of adapting to its pilot's needs and faults. Imagine it like a battle suit that makes up for your weaknesses, even for those you don't know about!"

"Turning soldiers into supersoldiers." Parthen nodded, raising up his pipe, seeing the logic behind it. "If it is not an AI, maybe that is even better!" he thought loudly after blowing out the smoke from his lungs. "We wouldn't be able to replicate something like that. Improving drones… is a different topic altogether. How does it work?"

"It is unlocked. Put it on, and it will react to your thoughts." Omega answered, and as Parthen's maid held it, she couldn't find out how to put it on. It was perfectly rounded but wouldn't budge or come apart. Her hands were not thin enough to slip through it either. "Try thinking about putting it on." Omega smiled, watching her fumble with it a little, clearly enjoying watching it before he spoke up.

"You are so bad…." Sylen whispered to him, but he just slowly blinked his eyes.

As soon as the woman thought about it, focusing on the bracelet, it snapped open, becoming a straight line, like a metal ruler. It was surprisingly flexible, and when she put it on her wrist, it automatically closed, finding the perfect fit.

"Interesting…" Parthen murmured, watching it happen, nibbling on his pipe's end.

"Run your fingers along its surface, from right to left." Omega showed with his own hands.

Following his instructions, a holographic image popped up from it, the same Sylen was already familiar with, the rotating holographic picture of the Suit of Ares. The bunny-girl maid flinched a little, surprised, but she quickly regained her composure, raising her furry hand towards the Major General.

"Fascinating!" Parthen sighed, leaning close, watching it, touching her hands and the bracelet, examining it with wonder in his blue eyes. "Does it contain the schematics for it?"

"No." Omega shook his head. "This is a control device. The key for the machine," he said, and seeing the changing face of Parthen, he couldn't help but smile again. "But it recorded its last known location," he added after a brief pause.

Hearing it, both the maid and the Major General shuddered, and the former quickly flicked her finger, the same as before, managing to swap the rotating image of the suit into that of a slice of a star chart.

"Smart." Omega nodded at her. Her gaze was naturally proud and not because of his words. She was even… provoking him, telling Omega with her eyes that she could figure out something simple like this!

"Damoclesian Rift…" Parthen whispered, reading it. "I never heard of it."

"It is the old Human name of the place!" Sylen said, happy to interject herself into the conversation. "It has a different name now!"

"You know where it is?" The Major General snapped his head, focusing on Sylen now, but she was completely unfazed, looking back up at her like it was something obvious.

"Of course! Why else would we come here to make a deal?" She rolled her eyes a little.

“Sylen… a deal…” Miyon flinched, finally regaining some resemblance of clarity, climbing out of the mental rocks that Parthen buried him under. "It is a very… strong word. Of course, we came to offer it hoping in the generosity of the Neo-Hegemony's military officers."

"Accomplishments for the Hegemony are always rewarded!" Parthen answered with a strong voice. "Where is it located?" He asked as he looked back at Sylen after silencing Miyon again with one quick look.

Sylen looked at Omega first and not because she was unsure to say it… but because she wanted to tease him. Knowing how difficult it was for him to tell the alien's name, she wanted to see him trying. In response, Omega shrugged, nudging her to not tease him if possible.

"It is in the Gynkwhon's territory. In the third, outmost system of theirs, called Frezthwin!" Sylen said in the end, holding back her smile.

Just hearing the Gynkwhon's name turned the Major General's face dark, crossing his arms, tapping his bicep with the end of his pipe. Frezthwin was reachable. It was at the borders of two smaller empires, both of which were more preoccupied with fighting back against the 'bugs' than patrolling the other end of their systems. He silently considered their options while walking before the wall with the wide, panoramic glass. They could slip by if planned right. The raiding fleets of the Gynkwhon were frequently harassing anyone who lived alongside their borders. Always looking for resources and, most of all, hosts to plant their children into. The easier part would be going into Frezthwin, as nobody would stop anybody mad enough to go to his death or to try and kill some bugs. Coming out was a wholly different endeavor. Anything coming outwards of their territory would be immediately monitored, confronted, and fought back against. All the Astropaths leading out from their regions were reinforced, repelling their invasions repeatedly.

"This is… hard." Parthen bit into his lips, already thinking up dozens of ideas while his maid was fiddling with the bracelet, finally taking it off by herself, proudly exchanging a glance with Omega to be able to solve it without his help. "Can this lead us to other suits?" asked, watching the black void before him.

"No." Omega shook his head. "It is bound to one machine and that one only!"

"We also don't know if it is still there. It is wholly possible those wretched bugs already dismantled it or used it as a nesting ground for their maggots." The Major General cursed a little.

"Maybe." Omega shrugged. "But a working Suit of Ares, as it is called, can find other suits in its proximity."

"..." Parthen furrowed his brows, mulling over the pros and cons.

By now, even Sylen was nervous, rubbing her sweaty palms onto her thighs, waiting for the decision.

"Rururin here will escort you to your adobe for the next few days until your ship is ready!" The Major General sighed in the end, turning around, while the bunny-girl just nodded, accepting his order. "I need to contact the High Command and tell them everything. If we have questions, we need you to repeat what you told me!"

"No problem." Omega agreed quickly.

"For now, enjoy your stay." Parthen smiled faintly, escorting them out from his home, and when he remained all alone, he immediately brought up the station's communications, contacting a dozen others simultaneously.

Soon the room went dark; the fire was put out in the fireplace as a metal door closed before the panoramic glass. Twelve others' holographic images appeared around the room while he turned toward them.

"Calling up an emergency meeting? Is the Gate under attack?" A raspy, tired voice asked; he clearly had just been woken up.

"No, Admiral." He replied courteously, facing his superiors and one of the big shots of the Neo-Hegemony, Admiral Jankho, from the same species as Kaltazar. He was almost 100 years old but still looking like someone in his 30s, with short, primly cut black hair and a muscular body. From the outside perspective, he was very much human looking, only with a bluish skin tone that turned completely see-through under blacklight. "But I came across something you all need to see…" he raised his arm, wearing the bracelet the trio had left behind.

8