Chapter 1: Becoming a Wayfarer
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Where in the world am I?" a young man with a brownwood hair colour looked around him in confusion. 

Everything around him was some kind of technological devices connected to something he did not even know. Worse, he could not recognize these pieces of devices in his impression nor memories. 

 

"I am sure that no developed countries in my planet is able to create these devices." the young man swept his gaze to the apparent structure of what he perceived as a part of a larger device. 

"If I am not in any country, where exactly did I went to? Damn, no clue whatsoever!" the young man was frustrated by his current predicament. 

He did not bring with him any communication device when he went out and arrived in this place. 

 

"!"

 

Then without any sign, a notification popped up. The young man was stunned and did not know whether the things he saw were real or some kind of bait to lure him to do things he usually would not do. 

It read like this:

[Wayfarer Assistant System connected to designated host]

[Hello, host. The Wayfarer Assistant System is the system that choose some people that fortunately or unfortunately had been chosen by the Supreme Will]

[The host has been transmigrated to a parallel world adjacent to the host's original world. The Supreme Will has granted the system as the most support it can provide to people like you]

[Hencetoforth, this system will provide its full support to the host as long as the host accomplish tasks the system has generated based on condition and situation]

 

Seeing the notification window in front of him, the young man could not come to a firm decision. 

"What even is this!?" he was asking but truthfully, he was in great doubt and anxiety. 

 

[Detected that the host's psychological condition is unstable. Cause: Fear of the unknown... ]

[Searching for the best solution for the system's goal and the host's stability... ]

[Solution reached]

[Generating Parallel World Grand Main Quest. This is the first world the host has visited. Requesting for Novice Kickstarting Gift Pack... ]

[Request has been accepted by the authority of the Supreme Will. Novice Kickstarting Gift Pack has been stored inside the system inventory]

[Parallel World Grand Main Quest:

 The host is one of the individual chosen to explore and solve the predicament of myriad worlds. This World and its civilization has recently fallen due to stronger external factor entering.]

[First Task of the Grand Main Quest- Situation Awareness

Host has to learn about the world he is currently in. 

Reward: One Strength Enhancement Chocolate Bar]

[There will be also periodical tasks to boost the host's capabilities further in order to unravel the mysteries of our reality. We hope that the host is sowing the good fortune for his own sake! ]

 

"Haha...a strange window appear in front of my eyes and following the movement of my eyes. I am sick in the head, is it due to my work load?" the young man moved his neck erratically while  laughed in disbelief. 

"And it won't go away. The question now is whether to follow this notification or not."

 

The young man was swaying in his heart. This was the moment where his existence was put on test and he arrived at a crossroad of life. 

"Greid, whatever you choose you should not regret no matter the result." The young man was speaking to himself as if he was gathering the last bit of resolve he had. 

Then Greid took a long and deep breath. While doing so, he can feel the air he inhaled was a bit putrid in his perspective and he took note of this. After exhaling, Greid had the eyes of determined ones. 

 

 

"Fine. Assistant System, can you respond to this?" Greid asked to probe the system whether it could interact directly with him. 

[Host, you have recovered from your indecisiveness. Congratulations, now it will be better if you open the Novice Kickstarting Gift Pack in the inventory.]

"No, I am suppressing my fear. You should know this if you are capable of diagnosing my psychological condition."

[I-I know that. But I really advice for the host to quickly improve his capability. This world is not that safe despite in the newbie level.]

'Interesting...so there are level for the world I am in and the future world I am going to visit.'

"Let's see... Open the gift pack!" Greid said in a firm tone, ordering the Wayfarer Assistant System. 

[Opening the Novice Kickstarting Gift Pack...

Acquired Universal Language Understanding

Acquired Imaginary Energy Refining Art

Acquired Novice Gunsword Hellsing(Growth)

Acquired SR Grade Random Selection Ticket]

"Hmm..." Greid just accepted his current situation since he could not understand it and thinking drained his stamina. 

He checked the received gifts in the system inventory. 

 

 

Universal Language Understanding 

Grade: EX

The pure comprehensive understanding of Universal Language. Since it is pure, it can be absorbed by anyone and they will understand immediately all the languages in the existed universe. 

 

 

From the description alone, it is an amazing thing to acquire. It meant Greid could understand every single language in the universe. Greid felt that he understood most if not all the language in existence. 

As for its utility, Greid would see it for himself. Next was... 

 

 

Imaginary Energy Refining Art

Grade: SSR

The fundamentals of utilizing the energy in existence for anyone regardless of talent. Created by Legendary Archmage, Cultivation God, Dream Witch, Revolutionary Dragon, Swarm Queen and Fiendcelestial Chaossplitter. 

This art is versatile in nature and can utilize every single energy attribute but the growth rate is slower even than some lower grade refining art due to the delayed, diligent grow and development of every single attribute. 

 

 

"Slow development...this will be an issue but for now this is sufficient." Greid did not even understand the grade for his gifts mean but he knew that those gifts were treasures for people like him. 

 

 

Novice Gunsword Hellsing(Growth)

Grade: N (Growth) 

The Gunsword that was created by the collaboration of Artisan God and the Supreme Will. The armament that is issued to all newbie Wayfarer to not only aid but also grow stronger with the owner. 

 

A new weapon then is in the hand. Greid could felt the trigger, the holder, the rifling as well as the switch to change it to the sword form. Greid looked at it and amazed that he could not  understand some of the principles behind the weapon's existence. 

"Hellsing? A good name for a weapon. Whether it can live up to its name or not, we shall see. All this gifts mean that the threat is likely to threaten my life. And this is a world for newbie, for real."

'But still, if all of this is true then why me of all people? Why the Supreme Will choose me? With what qualifications do I pass?'

Greid put his thought aside and looked at the last item in the inventory. 

 

SR Grade Random Selection Ticket

A ticket that allows you to get a random SR Grade item when it is torn. 

 

 

"And here I am, gambling with my life on the line. I need certainty and the only one I got is the grade of the item." Greid did not know whether to laugh or cry. 

 

But after the inspection, Greid had to move to a safer place for integrating his gift and gained a preliminary understanding of his gifts. Now when he saw things around him, he understood all of the writings on the plate, neon lights and the projected words scattered around. 

"Woah, the gifts I received are generous. I am in the Planet Power Plant Station No.9 in Sept Region."

 

Greid realized that his Universal Language Understanding had been integrated to his bank of knowledge. More surprising was that he got this without the slightest discomfort. 

[The system is helping the host to mitigate the side effects for acquired ability. The Universal Language Understanding will be fully integrated as the host train in it, allowing the host's brain to grow and adapt to the change. This also goes for the host's other acquired gifts.]

"To sum it up, I have to increase my proficiency so that my physical body can fully integrate it. Looks like there is no shortcut." Greid felt a little regret but soon had a relief. 

 

It was good that this was the case. If he acquired some ability in the midst of something important and he was interrupted due to immense pain, that would be a tragedy. But the downside was he had to learn about his ability to open the potential of his abilities, all of it. To Greid, it was not even a downside at all. 

 

"We have to go to the Workers Dormitory first. A long time has passed and most of the facilities are not turned on due to lack of energy supplies." Greid decided on a small objective and he went to the direction of the Workers Dormitory. 

 

Along the way, Greid could see the well-build side road as well as the main road which was coated with something similar to asphalt but the overall performance is better in all aspects. 

"System, is the Imaginary Energy Refining Art true? I mean everything in the description as well as the knowledge within."

[Replying to the host's inquiry, all of the thing the System provides is true and verified by the Executive if not the Supreme Will itself.]

"Then I can really become powerful!" Greid could not contain his excitement because if it was true, he would become an expert given enough time. Of course he also caught some vital information. 

'Then again, it is possible that they want me to know about it in the first place.'

 

[Host, did you doubt the entire course of event since you are coming to this world?]

"Yes. I have every reason to do so. I am someone without much goal in life. Suddenly gaining something out of ordinary...is kind of suspicious don't you think?"

[Hmph. I guess...I can't hate you for that since that reaction and attitude are good in the standard of a Wayfarer. Just be careful when you tackle the case.]

"Haha...I guess you are not called a Wayfarer Assistant System for nothing. Well then, welcome to Greid Transport. I will carry my people to their destination, at least that's what I am really good at." Greid realized that the one speaking to him was sentient, the system or whatever it was. 

 

It was not bad since there was someone he could talk to. 

 

'The technique in the Imaginary Energy Refining Art is all useful! Let me try some for estimation.'

Greid then focused on concentrating his senses before letting it out all at once. This was one technique. 

 

[Psyche Detection has been used]

 

There were six fundamentals of the reality and it also corresponded to the energy attribute. Physique, Psyche, Origin, Understanding, Bond and Law. 

Greid used one of the technique from Psyche branches, the elementary ones. The effect was to detect life form within a certain range that was affected by the user's Willpower. 

"No...one?" Greid muttered in confusion. It was strange that not even an ant was detected with Psyche Detection. 

"Then for safety, I can only do this." Greid inhaled while trying his best to perceive something else in the air that he inhale. He could feel something itching his nose but it was faint. 

 

[Origin Conduit has been used. Host's proficiency increased by 1%]

 

The effect was to let the user blend into the environment around. Not only that but this was a method to gather, refine and improve the quality of Imaginary Energy one possessed. 

Greid understood a bit of Origin aspect of the art and was able to gather the energy while using it as a veil to hide his presence. 

 

"I cannot use Psyche Detection often since it requires Willpower. Of course, I can still use other detection method even if they are not as good as Psyche Detection." 

 

[Matter Detection has been used]

 

What scares Greid was that with Matter Detection from Physique branch could detect some remnant traces left by some kind of thing. 

He also detected several torn shirts and furnitures in the locked room as well as the dried blood on the scene. 

Greid's face went pale as his brown iris widen and his pupil shrunk. He perceived the uncomfortable scene but it did not mean that his body was going to stay calm. 

 

"Ha...ha...hah."

"Umph, so messed up!" Greid closed his mouth when he arrived at the Workers Dormitory. Matter Detection let him perceive the inside of the dormitory. 

Piles of what he could perceive as corpses stacked together, filling a quarter of the room with their volume along with stench and dried blood. 

[Host's physical body shows sign of severe trauma and anxiety. Beware of discrepancy between the body and mind]

"Thanks for the reminder. This is fine for now." Greid replied in a hurry. What the system said was true. Greid's mind was calm as still water but his body showed sign of discomfort and reacting to something it had never encountered personally. 

 

He arrived at the door to that exact room. He tried to open the door but surprised to find that the door was ajar. 

Greid then entered the room and closed the door. The stench was nauseous and he had to pinch his nose so that he would not throw whatever inside his stomach out. 

 

"Now, we can at least discuss things here. I can also do some things before going somewhere else." Greid then sat down on the floor that had been dirtied by the mixture of dust, dried blood and some parts of the corpses. 

"Well, I have Imaginary Energy Refining Art for strengthening myself. I wield Novice Gunsword Hellsing for weapon, Universal Language Understanding for communication and information gathering, and that damnable ticket. I lack armor, something to protect my body. I only wear my usual shirt and blue jeans. And then I also need to find consumables since I don't have any and temporary base where I can stay in this world..."

 

 

Greid was thinking for his next move. Obviously, he had already formed a general direction for the progression of the Grand Main Quest. 

First, he had to find a geological understanding from map to the area he had to pay attention as  well as the threat in it. Second, he had to know the reason for all of this to happen to this world. 

 

 

"Worse comes to worst, I can just live by energy absorbtion. Imaginary Energy Refining Art is good for this." Greid tried to get more familiar with this particular art. 

From the superficial observation he had done and little experiments he had tried, Greid could at least understand something. 

 

The six fundamentals mentioned in the art was not only referring to the available resources one can utilize but also the pillar that shape the current reality Greid currently in. 

Then each energy can be utilized in some manners but the most elementary of it could be categorized as Detection, Conduit, Manifest. But there was a catch, not every fundamental was the same. 

For Origin, Greid found that utilizing it for Detection was the hardest. While Physique which includes physics and matters are easier to be utilized with Detection, it was harder for Greid to use it for Conduit. With Origin however, he could use it immediately. He paid this aspect attention the most since knowing how and what energy attribute from the six fundamentals to be used for combat will be his best foundation for his strength. 

 

There were also some energy that he did not dare to touch before a certain threshold such as Understanding, Bond and Law. Physique, Psyche and Origin were enough for now. 

 

Then Greid focused all his attention while maintaining the absorbtion of the energy by using Origin Conduit. At the same time, he also used Matter Detection to better perceive what went inside his body. Even though he knew, he had to see it with his own senses to internalize such things.

"There are six energy attribute in my body but I can safely utilize three. As for the rest, until I reach the next realm of strength I just safeguard it for the moment I guess." Greid sorted out his refining art and then thought about the next important objective.

"Let's remember again. The area I am in is the Planet Power Plant Station No.9, there are several metropolis that are connected to this power plant so their direction is confirmed already. But I notice the devices of the power plant is still working despite the tragedy that befall the world. Is there some protection in this place?" Greid speculated before he checked the piles of corpses for additional info.

He turned them around, checking the pocket of the clothes that were deterioriate while finding some ID cards. Other than that, there was nothing much of value.

"Personnel card. I have to wander around this area, am I?" seeing that the personnel cards were just ordinary, Greid had to search for more higher personnel card. Why is it the case?

Because with Universal Language Understanding, Greid found out that the ID card had a verification receptor as well as allowance permit. The former was something that Greid could not even fake unless he got the matching part that the receptor could recognize, which was the ID card owner's genetic information. The latter however acted like a pass, you could just show or stick the card to the designated location and the facility would provide the service.

He kept the card and then swept the room in hopes to find the remaining consummables. Fortunately, there was a snack and a bottle of unopened mineral water. Both were in good condition. He also carried them while he slowly opened the door and continued on his exploration.

 

0