Chapter 40
103 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So the reports were true? This is a complete and utter disaster.”

The representative of the New Ministry of Defence leaned forward out of her chair and rested her elbows on the desk with a grim expression. Conrad and Gale remained steadfast as they stood before her - it was not the first time they had needed to recount terrible news, and sadly it would likely not be the last.

“The wraith was far stronger and more aggressive than expected, and without the assistance of the locals, our information network was inadequate. On behalf of Phoenix Academy, I can only apologise for this outcome.”

Conrad had already prepared his declaration in advance. In order to remain on good terms he needed to handle things diplomatically, making sure to acknowledge his own shortcomings while also explaining the abnormality of the case.

“...I had high hopes for Phoenix, but this is a disgrace.”

Sadly, the representative did not agree.

“Ma’am, if I may. There were simply too many variables in this case. I myself witnessed-”
“Your failure has been noted as well, Knight Gale.”

Gale bit her tongue in frustration at the blunt response she received. At first, she believed they were simply attempting to have Phoenix take the blame for the unexpected tragedy, but it seems that she was also set to take the fall.

“Ma’am, was the suspicion of Henrietta Miller’s relation to the wraith provided in the first account received?”
“You watch your tone. Confidential information is not to be discussed in the presence of outsiders - speak out of line again and there will be consequences.”
“Outsiders…”

Her instincts appeared to be right on the money. Not only had critical information likely been withheld from them to begin with, even the mention of it saw her position being threatened, and their supposed allies were being treated coldly as if they hadn’t been requested for assistance in the first place.

Under such intense scrutiny she couldn’t turn to see Conrad’s expression, but she believed that the man likely understood the difficult position that they had both been put in.

“I understand there are still many active greater demon cases across the isles. Please, allow us to assist once more and properly demonstrate what we have to offer.”

Keeping his cool under pressure, Conrad calmly dismissed the unfair insults and put forward another request to prove Phoenix’s capabilities. The negotiation had sadly put them on the back foot as they were now needing to perform simply to clear their name, but it was far better than blowing up an opportunity to have a strong international connection.

“Bold of you to assume you would be granted another chance. Fine, there is one case that we are unable to allocate resources to currently, and it is far enough away that there are no civilians at risk. The case files have been compiled on the desk over there, and you are to begin immediately.”

The representative wasn’t even bothering to hide the fact that this had been her plan ever since the meeting started, flaunting her position while dumping an inconvenient task on her new temporary pawns. Conrad could do nothing but accept for now, though he was once again reminded of the greatness of the director who navigated these sorts of political minefields regularly.

“...Understood.”
“And Knight Gale, you are to remain here to await further orders as the Marlbourne investigation is held. You are no longer to accompany Phoenix in their efforts.”
“...Yes Ma’am.”

It was a bitter end to their brief cooperation. At first, Conrad found it a blessing that such a high-ranking official would be joining them personally, but in the end, she too was just a slave to orders and would likely receive an unfair punishment as a scapegoat for the MOD.

In the tense atmosphere of the room, Conrad grabbed the files and left quietly as Gale stood motionless.

******

“Ireland? Isn’t that where you’re from, Sid?”
“Mmm. It’s similar to England, but they have a long and difficult relationship. The difference in culture is interesting.”

The students of Phoenix Academy chattered with each other on their coach as they heard the news. They were to cross the Irish Sea via Firebird and investigate mysterious happenings at an abandoned school on the outskirts of the city of Cork. Elis was already beginning to grill her friend on what the local delicacies were, while others were focused on the mission details.

This time they would be close to a large city with solid infrastructure, but with the school itself being abandoned there wasn’t much concern about innocent bystanders being caught in the crossfire. It was an ideal task for them following their recent hardship, though Conrad chalked that up to a lucky coincidence rather than the kindness of the MOD.

Hibiki had returned to reading travel guides and tourist information, but she was far more subdued than her mood when first travelling to England, and she’d been somewhat quiet ever since leaving the village. Yuuji didn’t blame her at all as it was a traumatic experience, but he found it difficult to provide emotional support to her despite wanting to help.

“Once we’re finished with this case, let's go sightseeing, shall we?”
“Mmm? Ah, yes! That would be nice!”

She turned to him with a bright smile, but it felt different to usual. He returned one of his own, but the two quickly fell into silence and awkwardly went back to what they were doing prior. He glanced around to see if there was anyone who could help rescue this situation, and the closest he could find was face down on the tray table from the seat in front of her.

“Oi. Oi!”
“Wa-! Nhhn?”

He prodded her in the ribs ruthlessly as she woke up with a startle. Something about him feeling distressed while she slept peacefully without a care in the world rubbed him the wrong way, and his sadistic instincts awoke.

“You should be paying attention. You just missed the important announcement.”
“Boo~! If I already missed it, don’t wake me!”
“...”

Well, she had a point.

“Wa-!”

He jabbed her one more time for good measure.

“..!”

Sensing his master was under attack, Pajeon scurried out from within Ji-Hye’s phone screen and wrapped around her shoulders. He must have been trapped when she fell asleep on top of her phone while playing games, though Yuuji couldn’t help but wonder if the ferret slept whenever she did.

“Pajeon! Mmm, you’re cosy~!”
“Sorry, little Jeon. I know, I know, I’ll leave her be.”

The fluffy critter puffed his little chest out in triumph as Ji-Hye snuggled down comfortably. It was possibly the least threatening sight Yuuji could imagine, but he knew he was the one in the wrong, and let it go.

He sighed, leaving the girl to doze off again, but when he faced forward he noticed Valeriya staring intently at the two of them, though she quickly turned away. Her cheeks were flushed a rosy red which was a first, and she wouldn’t make eye contact despite him looking over curiously.

‘Is she feeling unwell? Can she even get a cold?’

She was still quite the enigma, as they didn’t speak much in their free time, and he felt a little awkward trying to strike up a conversation. There was always a feeling that she was out of reach, whether it was to do with something in her refined upbringing or her distant nature.

It had been a few months since he joined Phoenix Academy alongside Hibiki, and there was still a lot he didn’t know about his classmates. They came from all across the world, but there wasn’t much he knew about their backgrounds, though he had tried to keep his own under wraps just the same.

Even Hibiki, the girl he had spent the most time with at the academy, was a total unknown. Given the circumstances she didn’t know much of her origin, but as they sat close without a word it reminded him that he still didn’t understand her heart.

For someone like him, trying to befriend another person may even be a greater challenge than slaying demons.

“...”

It was a sad, sobering thought, and one he didn’t want to linger on.

“...”
“Wa-! Yuu~!”

As he woke her once more, Ji-Hye pouted and attacked him in retaliation for his constant poking. Pajeon chirped in vexation as well, but his adorable squeaks only brought a smile to Yuuji’s face.

There was someone here he’d been friends with for a long time, and he was grateful for her presence. She was definitely an oddball, but if he could get along well with her, what was stopping him from doing the same with the others, too?

“Oh, what’s this? A lover’s spat?”
“Keep it down you idiot, we’ve got front-row seats!”

Ignoring the hammer-fist blows that rained down on him like a gentle shower, he spotted Hema and Mitra spying on them through the gap between their chairs. They knew immediately that they’d been spotted, and Hema gave her brother a fierce pinch for blowing their cover.

“Ow, damn!”
“You two…”
“Yuu is being a bully!”

For better or worse, there were others he could count on to lighten the mood as well. The twins were the first people he had properly met after joining, and their ability to steamroll over any social courtesy in their own style was second to none.

With their addition, the conversations in the back of the bus grew rowdy, with several other students being roped into the madness. At the front, the atmosphere was still sombre, and Aoi turned to Conrad with a curious look.

“You’re not going to stop them?”
“After what they’ve been through these past few days? Of course not. They’re far better like this rather than dwelling on the past.”

She smirked at him, while he tried his best to remain stone-faced.

“You’ve changed these past few years. Being a parent suits you well.”
“Is that so? Maybe you should try-”

Aoi stomped down on his toes, with the heel of her shoe digging in for critical damage. The man let out a quiet wheeze and gripped his armrest before he quickly corrected himself.

I mean, you’ll be a great mother one day.”
“Haa… One day…”

Aoi let out a heavy sigh and stared out the window wistfully at the passing buildings while they awaited their arrival at the airport.

Do you enjoy when a story uses interactive polls?
  • Yes, I take part whenever I see them Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Yes, but only for my favourite stories/interesting questions Votes: 3 50.0%
  • I’m indifferent Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No, I don’t like them much Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No, they’re annoying to see Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 6
0