📗 Chapter 20: Interview
107 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"....we are now approaching Akari-san, the already famous lady who addressed the American people only an hour ago. Imagine what kinds of speed their craft must have..but that's not why we're here. Good afternoon, Akari-san. It is a great honor to meet you."  He bowed to me.

"And a good afternoon to you too, Kurata-san. Nice to meet you and your crew too." I returned the bow to them.

Kenji introduced himself as well, and excused himself for a moment. He said he would be right back and motioned my two guards to follow him. He will give them a ride to our transport.

"Apologies Kurata-san, the major will return in a moment. We don't want to be caught in a downpour, so let's start the interview here and then find a better place." 

"Of course, of course, Akari-san." He smiled while following Kenji's truck.

I really hate this formality...but let's just go with it. He should actually be saying Kagiyama-san, but it's already difficult enough. Washington was easier...I think.

But this is Japan and my former classmates will probably recognize me, because they have my full name now.

The Vahli are not so formal to each other, except to Queens and the Empress. Maybe that's one of the reasons I like them so much. Okay...here we go...I need to stall for time.

"Alright Kurata-san, are we live on TV?" 

"Yes, all of Japan is with us today. And perhaps the rest of the world as well....but don't worry about it. Many people shared their opinion about you on the internet already. You're already a very popular lady"

"Ahaha...I don't know about that...I'm just doing my job." I think I'm blushing, so I quickly looked to my right, at the transport. Yep, it's here.

"Okay, let's start." I focus on the camera and smile. Not that creepy smile, but just a friendly smile.

Now I focus on the reporter. "My name is Kagiyama, Akari. I am the Queen of the Imperial Vahli Hiveship Akagi. She's currently in orbit above Earth. Oh, and please drop the honorifics...just call me Akari please."

"Oh, that is highly unusual. But alright, Akari it is. In that case, please call me Satoshi. So...Akari....that means...you're like a real Queen from our fantasy stories? Or is it more of an honorary title?"

"Oh no, I'm a real Queen, alright. But I'm one of many. Each Queen usually commands a single hiveship with a maximum of about 70,000 people in it."

"My god...then your ship must be gigantic, yes?"

"Yes, Satoshi...it's very, very huge. I'm hoping that Zac from Australia can share some images soon. Otherwise maybe just use your telescopes...we're pretty hard to miss."

"Ha ha...yes...I'm sure. Akari, you told us you were originally from Japan. Can you tell us more about that?"

"Oh...yeah...that's a long story. I'll give you the short version for now.. Let's see..." 

I then summarized my "abduction" from Earth where I had my first encounter with a Kakross to the fragile peace treaty with them. I conveniently omitted the part where they attacked our world, and we totally destroyed theirs. I don't know how much I can say, so let's try to stay diplomatic. My summary ended after us arriving here and removing the Kakross infestation. Again, without telling them exactly how we did this. But I did explain about our marines and medical teams who worked very hard to save lives. My summary took no more than a minute or two.

At this point Kenji returns.

"Ah, Major, did you find a nice spot for us?" I hope that Kenji's arrival will distract them for a moment, or I will run out of my prepared interview answers soon. 

"Yes, Akari, would you all please follow me? We have clearance to enter a building close to the control tower. It's nice and warm and will show your planes nicely."

"Ooh...that'll do nicely. Thanks Kenji. So....we walk there?" I looked up at Kenji, he's quite a bit taller than I am.

"Nope, we'll use that transport truck over there." 

"Ooh...and not a moment too soon...I already feel a few drops.." I raised my right hand to feel the raindrops.

The truck slowly drove towards us and Kenji helped us get inside. He even offered his hand, like the gentleman he is. Ah no, he offered a hand to the crew as well.

Satoshi kept talking to keep the viewers entertained. Lucky for me, most of that was just a recap.

"To the viewers who just tuned in, we're currently..."   he stepped inside the truck  "..on our way to the location where Queen Akari will hold her press conference. 

Many of you will recognize her from her public address in Washington, only about two hours ago. With us is also major Kenji Nakamura of the JSDF."

The truck started moving, this time Kenji sits with us here in the back, and someone else is driving us.

Satoshi just kept talking...trying to fill the time until we approached our location. Let's throw the poor man a bone.

"Satoshi, as major Kenji just told us, we will have an excellent view on the runway very soon. It's a building near the control tower, so we won't be bothered by the rain."

"Yes, Akari, indeed that is a good point. Will we be able to see your eh...what do you call those space planes of yours?"

"Well, we call them interceptors. Those are, as the name suggests, like the military fighter planes here on Misawa. We also have a NavScan unit here, those are used to scout regions of space and function as early warning systems against potential enemy attacks."

"Ah, really? But, Akari, if you don't mind me saying so, you seem to have military experience yourself. Can we compare you, being a Queen, to the rank of major Nakarmura perhaps?"  

"Oh no no no, Satoshi. With respect to the major, it cannot be compared like that all. The chain of command is completely different. But at the end of the day, I am responsible for the wellbeing of my Hive, or battleship if you will. I follow my Empress's commands.

But regarding the military experience...that's simply an old hobby of mine. You see, I used to live here, close to this base and I frequently came here to spot flights leaving. I always absorbed anything relating to military practices as much as I could. I could never have dreamed of piloting those interceptors myself."

"Oh, that's very unexpected. So you are a pilot as well? Amazing. Did you fly here yourself?"

"No no, since becoming a Queen I had to stop flying those. It's a pity, but my Empress forbids it."

"Well, I can certainly understand that, Akari. I see that we have reached our destination, is that correct, major?" Satoshi now looks at the major and holds his microphone closer to him.

"Yes...Satoshi..."  Kenji seems to prefer polite speech, but he doesn't want to sound difficult on national tv.  "..we have indeed arrived. Please, if you guys will get out and walk to that building over there, we can continue the conversation inside." 

And Satoshi switches to filler material again. "Thank you, major. To the viewers just tuning...." and he jumps out of the truck, then continues "..in, we are about to listen to Queen Akari. She will hold a press conference in a few minutes...follow it Live on..." 

While walking pretty fast towards the building, due to the rain, I glanced at our transport. They are now picking up my two guards and soon also my family, for my...wedding ceremony. I almost forgot that it's also scheduled for today. It's my own fault for planning too much in one day. But it's something to look forward to!

Satoshi says "Ladies and gentlemen, look at that. Akari, is that one of yours?" The camera is now focussing on the transport. My guards seem to be talking to one JSDF person, perhaps an officer too.

"Yes, it is. It's our transport, we will be leaving later today and need to bring along my guards."

"Ah, right of course."

The camera focuses on Kenji and me again. 

We now follow the major inside the building. Two JSDF guards, fully armed, are walking next to us, reminding us where we currently are.

Kenji opens the door by swiping a batch and keeps the door open for us.

The cameraman just hit his head while setting foot inside the building. We all heard a brief "Ouch!" 

"Oh...mind the low ceiling here," Kenji said with a grin, a bit too late. "Please follow me, yes, okay, and here we are."

We walked into a large conference room with an excellent view outside. Large, wide windows without any blinds are allowing a full view outside. We can see the whole runway while the control tower is to our left.

"Please everyone, be seated. Akari, Satoshi, please proceed."  Kenji handed the word over to us...showtime!

We sit down, but the cameraman keeps standing behind Satoshi so both he and I are clearly visible. Usually you would give a press conference by standing in front of an audience. To the people at home it will appear that I am addressing them directly, but I will try to have a conversation with Satoshi.

"Alright, Akari, whenever you are ready." Satoshi said, making me feel a bit anxious.

"Thank you, Satoshi. And please interrupt me if you or the viewers at home have any questions, I don't mind that."

"Excellent, to the viewers at home we will be taking questions on our website now. I will read them to Akari in a little while. Good, Akari..."

I won't be repeating my life's story, I already summarized it earlier. "Yes, Satoshi. To the people viewing from home or wherever you are....thank you for taking the time to tune in. I am Queen Akari, representing the Vahli Empire.

My ship, the Imperial Vahli Hiveship Akagi is currently orbiting Earth. This press conference is intended to show you that we, the Vahli, are not really that different from you. Our technology is more advanced, yes, but in the end...we're just as vulnerable without it as you are. And that became painfully clear yesterday.

While we have a peace treaty with our former enemy, the Kakross, some ships went rogue and tried claiming Earth for themselves. Since Earth started experimenting with antimatter, you became a prime target for the more advanced races living nearby. Yes, you heard that right...the Vahli and the Kakross are, relatively speaking, your next-door neighbors.

Now back to yesterday. One rogue Kakross ship sent their attack forces down to Earth in order to disable your defenses. Lucky for you, our scouts had detected their arrival.

We successfully disabled their ship and eliminated the threat of all of their soldiers as well. After the threat had been neutralized, we provided medical assistance in the areas most affected.

And as I already said, our people are just as vulnerable as yours under certain circumstances. We lost about 12 of our...marines, you can call them.

But that is the price to pay for peace. Human casualties are believed to be in the thousands. On behalf of the Vahli Empire, I want to express my deepest respect and condolences to everyone affected by this. We tried to arrive here sooner, but even our technology....has its limits."

Satoshi tried to help me when I paused for a moment. I wanted to show them that my emotions are sincere.

"Thank you, Akari. And...I think it's proper for me to say this...on behalf of all the people on this planet, wherever they are and whatever language they may speak....we thank you for saving us. We also want to pay our respects to the people you have lost for helping us in our moment of need."

"Thank you. I...truly thank you for that. Every loss of life is one too many."

"Well said, Akari. Would you mind if I start asking questions, or would you like to continue?" 

"No, please start with your questions. We are sitting warm and comfortable here thanks to the major. But before you begin, please keep looking outside. Our interceptors are parked across the runway. Cameraman, if I may, are you able to get a proper closeup on those?"

He motions that the view isn't that good.

"Alright, thank you. Let me fix that. Major, I want to have an interceptor hover before our window here, will the military approve?" 

Kenji was obviously surprised by the question, but still remained professional. "Yes, Akari. During the press conference all air traffic around Misawa will be closed. So please be my guest."

"Excellent."  I talked to my watch. "Fuku?"

"Yes, Akari? How can I help?"

"Can you please ask Kira to hover with her interceptor here for a few minutes? The whole world will be watching."

"Affirmative."

I looked into the camera and said "sorry Kira, I know you're watching this. Take your time please."

Satoshi wanted to comment on this, but instead decided to look at my watch. Then focused on me again. I showed my watch to the cameraman for a moment.

"Akari, what is that...thing? Is it a watch?"

"Ha ha, no Satoshi. This is a..what do they call it...a Hive-Link I believe they called it. Just like you, I just call those things watches. But I just spoke to my AI-unit in space. She will relay my command to my pilot. Now that I think about it, I could have called her directly. Sorry, I just realized that."

I shrugged. Well it's easy to make a mistake when you're nervous, right?

"Amazing. Ah, right, the questions. Akari, you said you have lived close to this airport. Do you still have family here?"

"Yes, I do. Actually, my mom and my big sister should be watching now. Hi!" I waved to the camera.

"Ha ha ha, alright next question. This is the one question most people have asked on our website. And forgive me if it sounds...disrespectful."

"I don't mind. Shoot." I made sure to smile in the direction of the camera.

"Okay then. Will you, as in the Vahli race, be helping humankind? Or are we more like...your subjects?"

"Wow...you're right. That is..quite the question. Cameraman, please zoom into my face for a moment."

He gives his thumb up.

"People...humans...I was physically a human, like you until...things unintentionally happened. As a more or less human, I want you to know the following."

I must be having a serious expression by now. 

"The Vahli are a warm, caring and highly advanced race. They do not, and let me emphasize..NOT, want to subjugate humankind. 

Now let me speak on behalf of the Vahli. We drove the Kakross away and provided medical care. Are we perfect? No, of course not. But we try to improve, just like humans do. It is our hope, and my hope as well, that our two races can form...an alliance for example. Let's become friends. One step at a time.

Only my Empress can decide about what we will offer you. But your people can offer us things, and we can offer things in return. What those will be, is something your and my leaders must decide. So no....we are not going to invade Earth. Not now...not tomorrow...not in a million years. It's not our way. Back to you, Satoshi."

"Thank you Akari. That is....good to know. Now let's ask something more...ahem...interesting. Again, no disrespect intended. One of our viewers saw you earlier and compared your appearance to a bee. How do you feel about that?"

"Ha ha ha....they are not the first to notice that. It was my very first impression as well. When you look at my uniform...oh sorry, I forgot to take off my jacket. I apologize."

I put my jacket on the chair next to me, and stood up, seeing the camera following my every move. 

"As you can see, my uniform is fuzzy looking and somewhat resembles the look and feel of Earth's honey bees. Granted, this is a Queen's uniform, but some of my people wear uniforms with a golden yellow color. They each and every time remind me of bees!"

"Ha ha ha. I can imagine." Satoshi said. I had to motion him to wait.

"Sorry Satoshi, there's more. My people like Earth's honey and we actually make something similar as our primary food. So the similarities don't end there.

Eh, cameraman. Can you please focus on my back? I want to show you something."

The cameraman nodded and gave a thumbs up.

"Don't be alarmed people. I want to show you something." I turn around and let them show my wing muscles. I let my wings slowly extend and then let them buzz for a few seconds. I then turn back and see the astonished face of Satoshi...and Kenji as well.

"I'm sorry...was that...inappropriate?" I am blushing and feel my wings retracting again.

"No no not all all, Akari. It was just...so alien...and...so..amazing!"

"Okay..I was afraid it was too much. But there is more."

"Eh...like...what?" Satoshi looked a bit scared for a moment.

"Ah ha ha...relax...it's about my teeth. You see, the Vahli usually NEVER show their teeth. Only in emergencies or when they need to eat fruits and such. I have to show them all the time however...and this is embarrassing to say...I can't yet speak without my teeth."

"Oh hooo. So....you know that some people find those....a bit scary?"

"Yes, Satoshi! I know! The first time I saw those teeth, it scared the hell out of me!"

"Ha ha ha...so....you can....make them go away?"

I nodded and focussed. My teeth are now slowly retracting.

"Ahhhh! Sorry to say Akari, but this really looks better!"

"Bwu a cawt spweek swatosh."

"Ha ha ha...forgive me. Ladies and gentlemen, this is apparently how the Vahli usually look. If anyone takes offense to that friendly face, then I don't know anymore!"

I let my teeth appear while intensely blushing.

"Thanks....I guess...and sorry if I scared anyone with these. It's just...I have to...you know." I shrugged.

"Of course, Akari. Next question. No wait, look...there!"

I turned around and saw Kira's interceptor slowly approaching us. I guess she had to walk all the way to her interceptor.

"Akari for Kira. The people of this planet welcome you."

"Affirmative, my Queen. Requesting further instructions."

"Kira, come closer and a bit lower. Can you see me waving? Right, yes you can."

Kira waved back at us.

"Please slowly do a 360, so the people see your craft."

Kira is now right in front of us, very close to the window and she turns the interceptor clockwise.

"Wow...that is....impressive." Satoshi said.

"Thank you, and if anyone still believes that thing outside is CGI or fake news...please ask more questions now!"

While Satoshi made a last request for questions, I thanked Kira and asked her to return again. I will apologize later for inconveniencing her.

"Akari, we have a few more questions. Will you stay here, on Earth, or return home now?"

"Ah...that depends, Satoshi. We will be protecting Earth for a while and perhaps visit a few countries. What happens then...is not up to me but to my Empress. So I hope we can work together and become friends!"

"I would like that. Next one. Will you allow someone to board your ship in orbit sometime?"

"Of course, but not for a while. You see...me changing from a human into a Vahli was unintentional. Not that I mind....I really like who I am now. 
But as long as our scientists don't find a way to protect you, I don't want to take any chances. Having said that, a short term exposure of a few hours shouldn't be dangerous, but I don't want to harm anyone. Maybe one of your viewers wants to volunteer? We'll see....okay?"

"Understood. Do you still have time for a few more?"

"Yes, one more. Because....I'm getting married today."

"Really? Congratulations! That is a total surprise! Let's ask about that then. What will your wedding look like?"

"It is a rather simple ceremony, compared to the ones on Earth. Well, the ones that I know of, of course." 

I didn't want them to know that until recently only the Queen could....get children. Let's keep it simple here.

"It is customary for our leaders to perform the ceremony. They ask the couple whether they want to form a pair forever, and then a vow to the Queen must be made. Our loyalty to the Queen is absolute. It's like the chain of command in the military."

"But how does that work? You already are the Queen?"

"Good question. In my case...only the Empress can wed us. I assume we will arrange a video conference this afternoon, I'll have to see how it works. We have recently established a communications relay with the Vahli homeworld, so I hope it works properly now." 

"And the ceremony itself. Do you exchange rings?"

"Ha ha, no no. The ceremony leader will bind our hands together with a ribbon to symbolize that we are united forever."

"You say forever...you really mean that?"

"Yes we do. Devorce is not a thing for us....yet.. I don't hope Earth will have a bad influence on us." I winked.

"Ha ha ha...we might, you be careful. Alright. With those words, we end the press conference and question time with Akari, a Queen of the Vahli. Thank you and we hope to see you soon on tv again."

"Thank you very much indeed, Satoshi. And of that I'm certain. We know where to find you."

"Excellent...and now back to you Takishima-san in Tokyo."

The cameraman then says "and.....we're offline."

"My god, Akari..that was quite the story you told us today. And on a personal note, were you serious about asking us again for a next interview?"

"Of course I am. I guess we'll have to find a way to broadcast live from within our ship next time. Oh, and maybe organize a TV show to gather the most original questions for next time? Satoshi, now that I'm thinking about it..how about you guys just join me for my wedding today?"

"Eh....are you...serious? That's even better than this press conference! We'll have BILLIONS of viewers!" 

"Hahaha....that's the best way to make me even more nervous than I already am."

"Oh...sorry, Akari. I didn't mean to.."

"No no...just kidding. Alright. you and your team are invited to my wedding. I suggest that you guys use the bathroom and eat and drink here before we leave. You won't have any...compatible human...facilities onboard."

"Oh..ohhh...sure. And will we really be safe up there?"

"Sure. I don't expect any harm from just breathing our air. But, I have to tell you...if you do want to come along...it will still be at your own risk. You know, just a standard disclaimer thing."

"Ha ha ha...there's always risk involved in the news business. So we'll gladly come along."

"Good, then let me make a quick call. I'll ask my people to position our ship closer to Japan and somehow have you relay your signal for a live stream."

"That....that would be PERFECT! Isn't it too much to ask?"

"No, just let my people worry about it. You can test your equipment before you go live. And on your way there, just record the video. Is that ok?"

"Perfect, Akari!"

Satoshi called his news center while I arranged these matters with my Commander.

"Satoshi, things will be taken care of. Please join us in the mess hall for a while, then we'll depart for the Akagi."

"Yes ma'am!"  Satoshi saluted me. Even Kenji looked surprised for a moment.

"Ha ha ha..."

Kenji arranged for a pickup and we entered the mess hall together. I can see the cameraman recording from time to time. 

I introduced everyone and made sure that our newest guests had a nice cup of tea and a few onigiris....the only thing available in the canteen apparently. And no....I won't share my bento!

Satoshi officially asked me whether they could record our conversations, and I just had to agree. I want to show them that we are just normal "people."

I ate my bento and enjoyed the miso soup which mom heated in the microwave. Then, after everyone was acquainted and in the best of moods, mom and Hitomi moved closer.

"Akari...my god, you even have wings?" Hitomi asked.

"Yeah...it just kinda...happened, you know."

"Are you kidding? That's amazing! Can you like...fly with them?"

"Eh...no. I tried, but I guess I'm still a bit..." I was so embarrassed to say this.

"...too heavy?" mom asked with a smile.

"Yeaaaaahhhh....but something tells me that's going to change too. The only human thing left on me are my ears."

"True, and your skin color also is getting more like ours." Aine said. Geez, thanks.

"Ha ha ha....don't worry so much, Akari....you'll always be my little girl." Mom said while giving me a quick hug.

"And my little worker...." Aine added while smiling.

Mom looked surprised. 

"Don't...just...don't ask please. Thank you both...Mom and Aine....thank you." 

That earned me another hug from mom.

Finally Haru sat down close to me. "Akari, sorry for only now greeting you. I noticed you were quite busy."  He pointed at the TV which continuously shows repeats of my interview and "The Washington Event" as they call it now.

"No problem....Haru.." For some reason I have difficulties calling him by his name. I never really liked him, but I guess things have changed. In more ways than one. He married my big sister, so he's family now. "Tell me...are you okay with the fact that your sister-in-law is now an alien?"

"Eh...honestly...I don't know what to think of that. But I guess you still are the same Akari with the same Akari-quirks..."

"I beg your pardon?? What quirks would that be?" I put my hands on my waist.

He defended himself with his hands, afraid that I would...bite.

"You're kidding, right? You actually thought I would BITE you???"

"Sorry...I guess it was..instinct?"

"Just stop it you two...  I know you guys, you'll be apologizing to each other until evening. So, just stop it." Hitomi seems a bit angry, she's standing now with her hands at her hips.

"Sorry" Both Haru and I said at the same time.

"See? Ha ha ha... Haru, why don't you tell her about our plans?"

"Plans?" Both mom and I look at them.

"Oops. I forgot to tell you too, mom." Hitomi said, motioning Haru to start talking.

"We will be moving closer to Tokyo, where Hitomi and I....will start a family together."

Hitomi was smiling and blushing at the same time.

"Mom looked at Haru, then at Hitomi. I don't like to see you leave....but..wait..you...you are...?"

"Yes mom, I'm pregnant!!!"

I guess now is not the time to tell her that maybe, perhaps, possibly I was too...

After hugging and congratulating her, it was time for us to go home.....to the Akagi.

"Alright people, are you ready?" I scanned the room to see if I forgot someone. Right, the guards already left earlier.

"Yes!" was the only reply I received.

"Okay...Satoshi and your two colleagues, Kenji, my two guards, Mom, Hitomi and Haru, Nivri, Aine and I will use the transport. Ghan, Kira and Chiri, you will be our escorts."

"Yes, my Queen," Kira said. She's the leader of the three, and still can't stop with that "Queen" stuff. Maybe she wants to be polite, because this is a more formal setting.

"Good. Satoshi, as already said, feel free to record everything. It's up to you to get a signal out later, so ask Kira how to proceed."

"Will do."

"Kenji, as we expect to travel here more often...how can we ask air traffic control for permission for departure?" I had to ask, just as a formality. It's not like we asked for it when returning from the US. But with the camera here...maybe a good thing to ask.

"It won't be necessary for now, but I will ask them to contact you. Let's use this opportunity as a dry run for future visits, alright?"

"Affirmative. Any questions?" Everyone shook their heads.. "...Alright..showtime! Kenji, please get us to the landing site."

Kenji then drove us to the location of the transport, two interceptors and Ghan's NavScan.

My two guards were standing on watch. I hope they sheltered from the rain, those were my orders. At least I think so?

"Guards, thank you for your hard work. Please guide my guests into the transport."

"Yes, my Queen!"

One of them ran to the transport and only a second later, we heard the rear cargo door open. The familiar hydraulic system sounded...slowly buzzing open.

"Thanks. People, please take a seat and make sure that you are using the seatbelts. My people are a bit shorter than you, so you might need to pull a bit harder on those belts."

I saw everyone enter. 

I walked to Kira and Chiri and thanked them for showing off the interceptor and getting Zac home to Australia respectively.

"Kira, Chiri..please...will you stay close to me when we're back home? I'm already nervous about my bonding, and I need someone to watch the news team. Make sure that they don't go or see anything sensitive. I won't be able to keep my eyes on them."

"Sure, our pleasure."

"You two are the best. Okay...let's go. Oh..Kira, remember the communication earlier in Washington?"  She nods. "You will need to do that now. Just scan for active frequencies and reply just like we practiced during our training sessions. If something is not clear, just call me." 

"Okay. Don't worry."

I smiled and entered the transport.

It's pretty crowded here, but there are still a few empty seats available. I take the one next to Aine, she must have reserved it for me. "Thanks, Aine."

But before she could reply, our pilot called out for me. "Queen Akari. The Akagi is requesting our departure time." 

"Thanks, pilot. Tell them we will be departing now. Please close the door and take orders from Kira in one of the escorting interceptors. Tell her that we can leave now."

"Affirmative."

The inside of this transport ship is one open space. I can see the pilot and hear his communications as well as Kira's.

"Control, Team7732."

"7732, Control, go ahead."

"We will be returning with Queen Akari and guests. ETA 15 minutes. Please arrange for security and a comm.officer in the launch bay. We will need to relay a signal."

"Copy that."

I personally would have contacted the Commander directly, but I guess Kira is more used to contacting Control. It works too, but I rather didn't want my guests to hear about the security part.

"Kira for Akari...are you listening?"

I removed my seatbelt and walked closer to the pilot. "Yes, Kira. Akari here."

"Akari, we are not receiving any signals from the...air control?"

"Air traffic control you mean. They are probably waiting for us to move. Kira, switch to hover-move and get their attention."

"Copy that."

It seems we still need to work on our communications. But this did the trick.

"Akari, that worked! What eh...callsign do we use?"

"Ah, that's a good one. Earth ships usually transmit an ID signal. But we can't do that yet. Just go with Alpha-Kilo again. Kira, you are 1, chiri 2, Ghan 3, transport 4. Confirm."

"Confirm 1, confirm 2, confirm 3, confirm 4." Each unit confirmed their own number to me. Excellent!

"Good. Kira, refer to their control as Misawa Control. Or the Akagi might be interfering in your comms. Oh, and ask for a high speed departure to the East, just as we have discussed."

"Copy! Misawa Control, Alpha-Kilo1, 2, 3 and 4 are ready for vertical departure. Requesting launch clearance for a high-speed departure to the east."

Hahah...it's not a launch!

"AK1, AK2, AK3 and AK4. We will contact you soon to align our landing and takeoff procedures. For now, you are cleared for departure. Warning, note nearby traffic."

"Misawa control, AK1, copy future instructions and copy nearby traffic. We see them. Requesting a clear path to the east for fast travel."

"AK1, Misawa control, confirming clear skies due east. Maintain minimum flight level of 5 at a heading of 090. Then proceed at your own discretion."

"Misawa control, AK1, incompatible instructions. Departing east now, while carefully monitoring for traffic. The Queen thanks you for your hospitality and flexibility in rules and regulations."

"AK1, Misawa control, the honor is all ours." 

Granted, this works...but it's hardly a standard in communications. We need to work on that...fast. There wasn't much traffic until recently. But from now on...we have to play by the rules. Their rules.

 

Next chapter: Chapter 21: A royal wedding

3