📗 Chapter 23: Opening negotiations
93 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We stayed in orbit above Vahli Prime for a few days to receive new supplies and allow for some minor maintenance.

After finally getting the much needed additional workers, no I should call them my people, we set course for Earth. 

We spent another week in hyperspace before we finally arrived back in the solar system where our sister ship, the Huntress, is guarding Earth. I promised Miwa that we would soon spend more time together. And she's already looking forward to visiting Earth, but that will have to wait a bit more. 

So far Fuku has proven to be more useful than the Akagi's General and Commander, no offense. But in their defense....they are still learning.

 

[ Visiting the Japanese government ]

And now...now it's time for diplomacy.....alliance talks...on Earth.

Unfortunately I can only bring Kira with me. I can hardly show up with 8 people all the time, like we're sightseeing. That will have to wait for another day.

 

Kira and I are now approaching Japan from the East, and we already see the mainland. It's about noon here now. Mostly for nostalgic reasons, I asked Kira to fly in my own personal interceptor while I handled the communications in the back seat.

Fuku is back home as well, installed into the Akagi.

"Fuku, search the database of Kira's interceptor and find the frequency we used earlier to leave Japan. I want to talk to them."

"Linking..scanning...found..."

"Okay, open a channel for me and direct our communication directly at them. No need to disrupt communications all over the planet."

"Copy. The channel is now open." 

I heard the tower reply to a pilot: "Japan one eight three, cleared to Narita International, fly runway heading. Climb and maintain six thousand feet; expect one five thousand, fifteen minutes after departure. Departure on 120.3, squawk 0942." 

"shshhsshshshshshhhhhhhhh"  

Okay, that's probably our fault. Oops. Didn't mean to jam you guys. 

"JAL183, I’ll have to get back to you, apparently we have an emergency."

"For all aircraft, departure switch to one-twenty decimal nine." 

Great, there's already traffic on the line. How should I proceed? I wait for a moment to make sure that nobody is using this frequency anymore.

"Queen Akari for Misawa control, sorry for jamming you. Requesting this frequency for an unfiled approach." 

"Queen Akari, Misawa control, please standby..... Confirmed, this frequency is now reserved for you. Go ahead."

"Misawa Control, we are requesting instructions for vertical landing at the military section of Misawa Airport."

"Queen Akari, with all due respect, this frequency is reserved for departures. Do you wish to declare an emergency?"

Okay, I can do this. "I do...the future of humanity is at stake here. Is that enough for you?"

"Eh...patching you into arrivals. Standby."

That put a grin on my face.

"Misawa approach, please identify." They are calling us.

"Misawa approach, this is Vahli craft Alpha-Kilo-1, squawk zero-one-niner-niner." 

The squawk identifier shows our number on the traffic controller's radar screen. I had asked my engineers to copy Earth's transponder communications system...and they have. 

Most of our interceptors have a special coating to hide us from most sensors, including radar. So this signal should always enable them to see us on radar.  

But this time we are using my own interceptor without the coating, so it should be more visible to them on the radar. And besides, I will never use that interceptor again, so why not use it for Earth only?

"Vahli Alpha-Kilo-1, radar contact. Left to two-seven-zero. Slow to two-two-zero knots. Descend and maintain nine thousand."

Yes! It works! They can see us now! But...what did he just say?

"Misawa approach, unable to comply. Incompatible speed, altitude and course instructions. Requesting simplified instructions."

"Eh...Alpha-Kilo-1 slow down considerably, mind traffic. Also, this channel is now only open for you, drop callsign."

"Copy that, approach. Slowing down. Oh, and ask your supervisor to hand over departure and arrival instructions for next time. We intend to follow those."

"Wilco. Turn slightly left. Speed is still too high, reduce to half of your current speed."

"Copy that."

"Confirmed, speed is good. Heading is good. Reduce altitude quickly. Expedite. Too high. Traffic ahead."

Expedite means that we should comply as fast as we can. 

"Copy, traffic ahead. We see them. Reducing altitude fast."

Then after a few moments, "confirmed, hold current altitude. Turn left in three minutes for alignment to runway."

"Misawa approach, we don't need the runway. Just treat us like a helicopter."

"Copy that. Maintain current speed and heading for one more minute."

"Copy."

"Alpha-Kilo-1 report airfield in sight." The operator still uses the callsigns, I guess that is in their genes after so many hours on the job.

"Confirmed..we have a visual. Request directions to the military section."

"Reduce speed to half of current speed. Turn slightly to the right. Directly next to the tower is a helipad. All traffic has been cleared."

"Copy that. Using helipad next to tower."

 

After more of these minor course adjustments, we finally approach the tower and Kira lands us gently. This communication sucked...we really need to work on that.

"Misawa approach, Alpha-Kilo-1 landing complete. We will vacate this frequency immediately. Thanks!"

"Alpa-kilo-1, confirmed. Resuming normal use of frequency."

"Fuku, disconnect us."

"Done, Akari."

"Well...that was exciting." Kira said.

"You think so? I think they are calling us amateurs by now. Well, at least we tried, didn't we?"

"That we sure did. Now what? I don't think anybody expects us here."

"Ah....right. I knew I forgot something. Okay, just get out. We'll find a way."

Kira and I now have warmer coats for the winter weather and Kira definitely wears her shoes this time!

We took our time to walk to the military section. It helps that we have been here before, and don't forget, this used to be my "hobby airport" once.

I approach a security guard and say "Excuse me, I am Queen Akari and I would like to see Major Kenji Nakamura."

"I'm sorry ma'am, but the major receives many people who claim to be the Queen. But I must say, your cosplaying is quite nice. You could be her look-alike." The guard says while scanning me from top to toe.

"Listen to me please, I.."

"Stand down! Do not approach me!" The guard shouts, while putting his hand near his gun.

Kira's hand is resting on her gun. I motion her to wait.

I glared at the guard and said "you will either let us pass, or my friend here will blow up your gate with her sidearm."

He looked at Kira and smiled.  "Ma'am, I'd love to see that."

"Yeah, and I'd love to shoot, but we don't have time to play with you today. How about you just call your supervisor or something?"

"Okay, have it your way. But you will be arrested for this."

"Sure, whatever. Just make the call."

He kept watching us carefully while he talked to his supervisor.

It didn't take long for his supervisor to walk to us.

"Alright, what is it this?....QUEEN AKARI! My god, sergeant, she's the real deal!"

"What? How would I..."

"Just open the gate. NOW!"

The guard opens the gate and I whisper to him "my guard was about to shoot...lucky for you she can show restraint."

He saluted me. Why, I wonder. But whatever. I return the salute. He's just doing his job. 

"Excuse me, Queen Akari, we didn't expect you today. Apologies for the misunderstanding."

"No problem. Oh, how may I address you?"

"I am Lieutenant Tanaka. Please follow me, the major gave me instructions for this scenario."

"Very good, Tanaka-san. Say..aren't you afraid of walking near us? I mean..space germs and whatnot?"

"Huh? Ah, no. Remember that blood sample you allowed us to take a while ago?"

I nodded. "Well, they said it was fine, so we could just speak with you and such."

"Great, good to know."

He led us to the "hotel" we previously visited. This time more people were present there. Just military personnel leaving for another shift. 

He asked us to wait in the canteen and asked if we wanted tea or anything. I told him we were fine and didn't want to inconvenience him any further. He bowed to us and left. 

After waiting in the canteen for about twenty minutes, we noticed Kenji entering the canteen.

"Kenji!" I shouted, ignoring some annoyed looks of the people here.

"Queen Akari and Kira, how nice to see you again. Sorry I'm late, I was at home."

"Oh no, please. I should apologize here. I should have called first, but it is difficult to get you on the phone. Everyone thinks we are impostors and even Air Traffic Control was annoyed with us talking on their frequency."

"Ha ha ha, yeah...we might need to find another way to talk soon." Kenji scratched the back of his head. "Now what's this visit about?"

"Well, Kenji. This is it. We are here to speak to your government. So...we will be here for a while. And this is big....like....interplanetary alliance kind of big."

"Ohhh...I see. Politics."

"Ugh....if you say it like that.....yes...just politics I'm afraid. But what I said sounded much cooler!"

"Ha ha ha.....true. Now follow me, ladies. Let's make a phone call and get you two to Tokyo. Perhaps...mmm...how about the shinkansen?" 

"The bullet train? Sure! I love those!"

"Excellent. I really can't drive you all that way on such short notice. And the exit to the government plaza is right next to the train station. But...do you really want to go there? To the hornets nest? I mean....they're politicians after all." Kenji grimaced.

"Ha ha ha....yes Kenji. We don't have a choice, and besides, we recently visited a wasp's nest. I think I can handle these hornets of yours."

Kira didn't understand the reference. "The Kakross, Kira. They look like a huge version of nasty insects we have here on Earth."

She nodded. Good.

Kenji walked to a small office and used the phone. It took him 20 minutes to get through to the Prime Minister's office. People seem to be bothering them too. But after going through secure military comm.lines, they had no other choice than to believe Kenji.

"Okay ladies, I will now get the tickets. I already told my wife that this is going to take a while. Or....do you two...maybe....want to go to Tokyo alone...?"

Oh, I can take a hint. It must be his day off, he deserves that!

'Kenji....you already helped us so much. How about you get me a cell phone with internet access? I know my way around and...how hard can it be to find the government plaza in Tokyo? Just keep an eye on our interceptor, will you?"

"Sure thing. Then....here's a Suica Card. If you need any drinks or such, and perhaps a bus or whatever you may need."

"Thanks Kenji!"

It wasn't difficult to find the train station from here, because this is not my first visit. 

"Akari, what are these trains, Kenji mentioned?"

"They are fast moving ground transports. We will be in Tokyo in no time. And this cell phone can access the global information network. It can access satellite signals, so we know exactly where we are."

"Interesting. Quite advanced."

"Yep!" I give her a warm smile.  As long as it works..it's great.

I hold the two tickets Kenji gave me and we both enter the train station. We use the escalator to find our way to the correct platform. Okay...this is it. If things go wrong, I can always contact Fuku with my watch.

Lucky for us, it's not rush hour now, but there are still plenty of people here. Kira is enjoying all these new sights. Even putting the ticket into a ticket gate was amusing to her. For me it's just an everyday thing. It still makes you wonder how much we take for granted.

"Kira, that sign there says that our train will arrive in three minutes."

"Are they always on time?"

"They sure are. We are very proud of that fact in Japan. Just two more minutes. Here, put this into your pocket and keep it safe. It shows that we paid for this trip. Ah....do Vahli even use money?"

"Money? I heard about it. Some planets use it to trade, but the Vahli have no use for it. You must have noticed it yourself. You can eat and drink as much as you like. You work, and someone else gives you food. We all help each other."  

"True, but I'm still happy you at least understand the concept. It makes my life easier."

"So that card..will it give us food and drinks?"

"Yep, we can use it, but I want to keep the use to a minimum. I don't want Kenji to pay for everything. I assume the card is his."

"Ah.....alright. Oh! Akari..is that a train?"

I turn around and see the high-speed train approaching us.  "Yes it is, we call it the shinkansen. It is really, really, really fast. We just get in there and relax."

Occasionally people are looking at us, but many young people in the Tokyo area like to cosplay. But we are not imitating others, we really are Akari and Kira.

The doors open and Kira follows me closely.

"Okay, let's sit here, at the window." 

We make ourselves comfortable and I instruct Kira to secure her gun. I don't want anyone thinking it is a toy, only to find out they really killed someone with it.

The doors close and the train starts moving. "Ahhh!  So quiet. And fast too." Kira seems impressed.

"Oh, you haven't seen anything yet. It will double the speed once we leave the city area. Ehhh....Kira, we should actually be enjoying a bento now. But I forgot to buy them."

"Bento? Ah those rice boxes?"

"Eh, yeah, they are boxed lunches. But we can always get them in Tokyo. It is somewhat of a must-do on the train, like a tradition."

But at this point other people sat down in our section. I whispered to Kira that it is polite to keep quiet in the train, and I really don't want the extra attention.  

But others don't seem to realize. I think they are foreigners. Well, I guess I'm one now too.

"Look, mommy! Akari and Kira!" a young boy said loudly.

"Shhhhh...keep your voice down." The lady said, probably his mother.

I smiled at them. 

The mother saw that as an invitation to start a conversation with me. "You...me..understand?"  She points at herself.

"Of course, ma'am."  I said, wondering why she spoke in broken sentences.

"Huh...you really speak Spanish? Amazing! What a coincidence. Are you going to Tokyo for a cosplay?"

"Nah....we're going to see the Japanese government."

"Ohh....but in those clothes? Isn't that a problem? I mean, you look like those...you know.." she whispers, "those space aliens from TV. Isn't it a bit dangerous to travel like that?"

"Dangerous? In Japan? ....Nah..I don't think so. There are lots of people cosplaying."

"Ha ha...so you really ARE cosplaying then?"

"Nope. We are the real Akari and Kira."

"Mmm....sure...I get it.....nice to meet you, Akari and Kira."

 

This conversation continued for a while until I noticed a few people staring. I know I know....shut up. And we just stopped talking. 

Somewhere close to Tokyo the alarms in the train went off. "BEEP BEEP- BEEP-BEEP. This is an early warning earthquake alert. This shinkansen will now come to a complete halt. Please do not leave the train and take care of any cargo that might fall down." The message then repeated once.

The train finally came to a complete halt.

I quickly told Kira that this happens occasionally. Nothing to worry about. It's just a safety precaution when the ground shakes.

"BEEP BEEP- BEEP-BEEP. A 6- intensity earthquake will approach the Tokyo area in 12 seconds. Beware of falling objects."

"BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"  My cell phone now also shows a J-alert. "Emergency Alert. Eartquake. 6- intensity."

"It's okay Kira. Just wait for it."

Kira's expression showed me she was worried about our safety.

Then the train started swaying. Then a heavy rumble could be heard and the shaking increased considerably, but it lasted only ten seconds. 

"See? That's all. They will now check the train and tracks for damage, and we will continue."

"My god, is that normal here?" The lady asked me.

"Yes, ma'am. This is Japan, earthquakes are common here, but this one was a bit on the heavy side. I think we will be going again soon."

"Oh....okay. Thank you. You really are staying calm, so it really must happen often."

There was some disturbance in the back of the train, so...I stood up and tried to help.

One man was apparently in shock. "No no...my god. This is the end!" He shouted.

"Excuse me, sir. It's over already. Everything is okay." I said, while smiling.

"Huh? My god, I'm happy to hear you speak Mandarin. I thought this was another 10.0 quake."  He was visibly relieved.

"Ah no, sir. This was just a magnitude five or six. Nothing serious. It happens often in Japan." 

"Amazing...but are you sure about our safety?"

"Absolutely, sir. I would never lie to anyone about that."

"Thank you. Can you please tell these people here I'm sorry?"

"Sure. Everyone, it's okay. He thought this was a magnitude 10 quake. But he's okay now."

There were all smiles here now, so I quickly returned to Kira.

The lady was amazed.."you...you even speak Chinese? Who..what..how?"

"I told you earlier, I'm Akari. And this...this is my translator. Oh. right. Fuku, are you there?"

"Yes, Akari, I'm listening."

"Can you interface with my interceptor and check for damage?"

"Scanning....interfacing....complete. No damage. The interceptor recorded a massive shaking. Is there a reason for that?"

"Yes, it is a common geological phenomenon. It is basically just ground movement."

"Affirmative. Resetting interceptor security measures...done. Akari, Kira, do you require assistance?"

"Negative Fuku. Akari out."

"You...you really are her, aren't you?"

"Ha ha ha, yes ma'am."

"Ding-dong-ding....dear passengers. We apologize for the inconvenience. We will resume normal operations in a few minutes. The shinkansen was not damaged." The message repeated itself, probably in English, but my translator translated everything into Japanese. I wonder if it'll work with animals too....that would be funny. Nah, probably not.

Half an hour later we stepped out of the train at Tokyo Station. And boy o boy....it's really crowded here.

Suddenly my cell phone beeped. "Moshi Moshi...?" [ hello? ]  "..Akari here?"

"Akari, Kenji here. Is everything alright? We felt a strong quake."

"Yes, Kenji, we had a short delay, but all is good. I heard that my interceptor's alarms activated. Did they inconvenience you?"

"Ha ha ha...they sure did. I received a call that it was acting like a car alarm. It drove them mad. But then it stopped." 

Oh right, Kenji is probably at home again.

"Ehehe. Sorry, I told Fuku to cancel the alarm."

"Yeah, it was only a minute or so. So only a few surprised people, nothing else."

"Okay. Well, we're in Tokyo now and we are heading for the Government plaza."

"Good luck to both of you, I can't help but feel sorry for you."

"Thanks Kenji. Don't worry, I have Kira with me..and we have sharp teeth too."

"Ha ha ha...true..very true..bye for now."

"Bye Kenji."

I look at Kira and give her a summary of the call. "Kenji wished us good luck. Oh and my interceptor drove them crazy with the alarm. But it's okay now."

Kira smiled. She must know what kind of noise they are capable of producing.

I think we earned ourselves a drink after this commotion. So I took us a hot tea from the vending machine and we enjoyed every bit of it. 

"Kira, that building over there, that's where we need to go. Kenji told me he would set up an appointment for me, but he hasn't given me a name yet."

"Oh...so...they will come and find us then?"

"Good question, I guess we are about to find out."

 

The doors slide open and we enter the government building. It's just another office building, nothing special. No expensive-looking marble or anything. I really thought it would have a more...I don't know...official interior, if you get my point. 

Kira follows me to the reception area where a smiling lady makes eye contact with us.

She quickly finished typing something on her keyboard, then said "good afternoon, how may I be of assistance?" She stealthily glanced over our now open coats, and the uniform beneath them. Yeah, I don't like these coates either, but at least they're warm.

"Good afternoon. I'm Queen Akari, and this is Kira. We would like to meet with a representative of your government to start diplomacy and discuss matters of business."

"You, you are Akari? I'm sorry miss, but I was asked to refuse any more cosplayers." 

This really pissed me off for some reason, my warm, fuzzy feeling of being in Tokyo evaporated like snow on an F16's afterburner.

I walk closer to her, bend over and whisper "Did you see me on television?"

She nods and swallows. "Yes, I saw the Queen, but I don't think you are her." I noticed her hand sliding beneath her desk, probably calling security by pushing a button.

"Seriously? You are so intimidated by me to call security on me? C'mon!"  
I turned to Kira, "Kira, don't reach for your gun, a security team will come for us."

"Okay."

And really, within only twenty seconds, I heard two men shouting. 
"Security! Do not move!" Their hands were on their hips...reaching for their guns.

Other people in this building screamed and ran away, most outside. Great, just what I needed.
Oh, and I didn't know security guards were allowed actual guns? Maybe a recent change?

"Why? What did I do?" I raised my arms to show we surrendered, and I saw Kira copying me. 

"Easy now. We have called the police, do not move."

"I think you two are mistaken. I really am Queen Akari. Is this how you treat your guests?"

"Of course you are. Just like the other twenty Akari's we've had this week. No miss, you're going with the police."

"Give me a moment to call the military."  I lowered my hands and reached for my cell phone.

"STOP!"

 

I don't know what happened, but the frustration finally got to me. Maybe it was just instinct, but I felt threatened by these two men. I dropped my coat and my wings extended, they made a very audible low buzzing sound. I opened my mouth wide and showed them my teeth. All of this happened in a split second. My body released a primordial cry to release the tension  "WAAAAAAAAAAA!!!" 
I'm sure even wolves would run away by now.

Then something sprayed from between my teeth to the floor. 

My nails hurt like hell and when I finally came to my senses, I saw the two men running away. But I tasted blood in my mouth and my nails were bleeding as well. There were no nails anymore...they were now just like Kira's retractable nails. I felt my mouth and I couldn't even close my mouth anymore..the teeth were that long!  

I saw my reflection on the wall, in this building's escape plan which was covered by glass. How ironic, I might actually need an escape plan now. The reflection I saw was simply terrifying...just like the Alien movies....but even more scarier. I even have saliva dripping from my teeth, disgusting! Is that really me? What the hell happened to me?

I turned around and saw Kira. She was afraid of me as well, but she took her gun in her hand. "My Queen...are you alright?"

"Shesss Kila...."  I couldn't even speak properly anymore..   Relax Akari, breathe in....breathe out. And I felt my teeth retract.  "I'm alright now, Kira. What the heck was that?"

"It is the Zanpur, the Queen's last hope. There...see on the floor?"

I saw a disgusting looking substance eating through the floor, bubbling and hissing. It was so disgusting that I had to step back from it. "Oh...that sounds promising. Why didn't anyone bother telling me?"

"Because....you ARE the Queen?"

Great, that helps.

Well, on the bright side...we are totally alone here now. Maybe wait for the police? I look around and see security cameras moving. Great, they got that on tape. Maybe not watch the news today...

I took my mobile and called Kenji. C'mon...pick it up already. "Major Nakarmura. Who's...ah..Akari. Give me a moment. <yawn>"

"Sorry Kenji. Did I wake you?"

"Yeah, but it's okay. What's wrong, you sound different."

"Kenj, we have a situation here. I'm at the government building, but the security guards thought that I was cosplaying. And then something happened to me."

"Like...what?"

"Think Alien movies...but worse."

"No...don't tell me....you killed someone?"

"NO! For the love of.. no Kenji! It just happened, but nobody's hurt. I need someone from the military here pronto, or things are going south."

"Understood. I have your location now, I will send JSDF forces there right now."

"Thanks for the save, Kenji."

"Anytime. Just....try to stay calm and stay there." 

"Yes, Kenji."   

I put the phone back in my coat's pocket. God, how embarrassing, I feel like a teenager who had to call daddy for being caught while drunk driving.

I motioned Kira to follow me. We just sat down in the waiting area where the chairs are pretty comfortable. I can see the cameras following me. But simply sitting here should show them that we don't mean any harm.

Then I hear the intercom. "Hello? Can you hear me?"

I stand up and reply with a loud voice "Yes, I can hear you."

"Good, I am an officer of the Metropolitan Police, Kagawa Juichi. Please identify yourselves."

I looked up at the nearest camera and said "I am Queen Akari. Not a fake, but the real one. And this is my best friend Kira."

Kira joined me and stood next to me now.

"What are your demands?"

"Uhhh.....sir, we don't have any demands. This is just a misunderstanding. A big one. I apologize for scaring everyone."

"Good good, that makes things easier. Someone called us and reported hostages, but I see nobody else there but you two. The doors are open, so you could have fled already. I am in the same building as you are, and I will now walk to you, is that acceptable?"

"Of course! Just don't point a gun at us. We are armed as well, but will only fire in self defense."

"Good to know. Just relax and let's talk about this. I'm sure it's just a misunderstanding"

"Yes, yes! Exactly!"

"Good, we will be there in a minute."

I turned to Kira. "Be careful, it's possible that a heavily armed security team will enter those doors there. Don't be alarmed. If that happens, just put your hands up like this."

"Yes, Akari. I will."

"Good, I just hope that Kenji's people will be here soon. I really regret coming here today."

 

"Hello?" I hear the same voice from earlier.

"Yes, Kagawa-san? We're here. Don't worry, nobody is going to shoot."

"Good. Neither are we. Please raise your hands for a moment, until we are near you."

"Uhh....okay...I can do that."

We raised our hands until their team was approaching us. Then I said "Okay..that's close enough."

"Okay." He motioned his team to stop. "Tell me, what happened? Huh? You are bleeding?"

"Yes, but I'm fine. Kagawa-san, this is just a misunderstanding. I just told the lady at the reception area that I wanted to speak to someone from the government. And she just panicked."

"I see. And what happened there?" He pointed at the floor.

"Eh...that was unexpected. It seems I felt threatened by the security guards, and my body reacted on instinct."

"Interesting. We saw the recording from earlier and you really did make quite the impression. But then again...animatronics are a thing in Japan. Can you show your ID perhaps?"

"An ID? No, but I have the perfect solution. The JSDF forces will enter that door any moment now, so don't be alarmed. They will confirm that I'm the real deal." I pointed at the door behind me.

"Okay, then we wait for them. But...you know that this is the Tokyo Metropolitan Government, yes?"

"Eh....the government, yeah?"

"Ah...I think I understand what happened here. I guess you are looking for the location where the lower house and upper house convene? Where the politicians debate about new laws and such?"

"Eh....yeah? Don't tell me.."

"Ha ha ha....yes, that building is the Diet. It's located at Nagatachou, Chiyoda, Tokyo."

"Nooooo......we're in the wrong building?"

"I'm afraid so." 

"My god..no....this day is getting worse and worse. First that quake and now this."

"One moment please, let me give my people the all clear sign." He used his radio and told his people outside to stand down. I guess there were more of them already...scary.

At that point he received word that JSDF forces were trying to get in here. What a fine mess we are in now...

"Alright, let them in." Kagawa-san said.

Just a moment later we saw one man in uniform enter this building. I guess his colleagues have to stay behind in order to please the police who have gathered here.

"Queen Akari and Lady Kira. On behalf of the Japanese Government, we apologize for the inconvenience our people have caused you. My name is Lieutenant Kawamoto."

"Kawamoto-san, thank you for your assistance. And I apologize for interrupting the work of JSDF officers for this madness." I bowed to him and Kira followed immediately after.

After the lieutenant confirmed our identities, the police agreed and let us leave in one piece. Kawamoto-san then offered to give us a ride to the correct building and I gladly accepted.

I bowed to Kagawa-san and my eye caught the nasty spot on the floor once more. The police apologized about the misunderstanding, and I apologized for losing my temper. 

Why did I apologize? Simple. As an alien, I can hardly care about entering the wrong building. But as a woman who has lived her whole live in Japan until recently...I feel ashamed for making such a stupid mistake. 

I know, Kenji told me that the Government building is next door to the train station, but....there are many, many of those, including subway stations here in Tokyo. I just picked the wrong one. I have a cell phone with GPS, but I failed to just google for the correct address. And for that...I really feel ashamed. Lucky for me they don't really seem to mind, though. 

Kawamoto-san drove us in a civilian car, probably his personal car, to the correct building and offered to follow us inside. I know, he's afraid that the same thing will happen again...and so am I. So I accepted his offer with gratitude.

We enter the building and this one really looks like we have arrived somewhere important. But I don't have the time to look around, Kira and I have difficulties keeping up with Kawamoto-san's pace. 

He walks to the reception area, and a young man greets him "how may I help you?"

"Good afternoon. I'm Lieutenant Kawamoto. I called ten minutes ago that I would bring two important guests of the Japanese state?"

"Of course. One moment please...yes, Kawamoto-san...may I have your ID please?"

The security here is pretty tight, I guess. After a minute or two, all paperwork was taken care of.

"Queen Akari, Lady Kira. You will be escorted to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Do you require my assistance?"

"No, Kawamoto-san, your help was invaluable. We both thank you for your assistance."

Kira and I bow to him and he returns the bow and we say our goodbyes.

"Well, Kira...we finally made it. I'm sorry you had to see that. Part of that is my own fault."

"I don't think so. I think it was just an honest misunderstanding?"

"True, but I have lived on this planet for a very long time. Am I really that intimidating now?"

She just smiled at me. Oh god....I am, aren't I?

We waited near the windows and saw our savior leave. Maybe I'm just more compatible with the military? They just seem to speak my language. No fuzz, no arguments, just open communication and clearly telling you about the boundaries. No mistakes possible. Whatever, I'm probably just biased from my lifelong hobby. 

"Eh...Akari...can we use the toilet here?"

"Sure, I need to go as well. Maybe wait a few more minutes, or we both will miss our contact person here."

"Okay. And maybe have something to eat as well?"

"That will be more difficult, but I will just ask them. These buildings usually have a canteen that even outsiders can visit. But it's not very polite to ask for food during our meeting...but considering what we had to endure....I'll try, okay?"

"Good enough for me. Heh, that guy over there. Is he looking for us perhaps?"

"Mmmm, sure looks like it."  

A man dressed quite handsomely in a business suit and black tie is scanning the area. I stand up and so does Kira. Bingo! He now walks over to us.

"Queen Akari and Lady Kira I presume?" 

"Indeed we are." I smiled at him.

He then added, "I am Nagasawa, Mikio. It is an honor to receive such important guests."

He bowed to us, and we returned the bow, while I said "Nagasawa-san, on the contrary, the honor is all ours. It is an honor to meet you."

He smiled and motioned us to follow him. "Please, would you follow me? We will use the elevator and then we can speak in private."

"Of course, please show us the way, Nagasawa-san."

It is not time for informal speech yet.

We followed him to the elevator and nobody said a word until we reached a meeting room on the 21st floor. 

"Please, make yourselves comfortable."

"Thank you, Nagasawa-san. Excuse me please, might we please use your toilet?"

"Of course, it's at the end of this corridor, and you will find the ladies restroom to your left."

"Much appreciated."

My god, I hate this formal speech, but I'm supposed to get this alliance going...we'll see how my diplomacy skills turn out. 

The two of us visited the ladies room and freshened up a bit. 

We found our way back to the meeting room where Nagasawa-san was waiting for us. 

"Nagasawa-san, apologies for making you wait."

"That is not a problem, Queen Akari. Would you both like tea while we speak?"

"Oh, yes please. It was quite troublesome for us before we reached this building."

"Yes, I am aware of that. Don't worry about it. Misunderstandings happen. All that matters is that you have arrived."

"Well said, Nagasawa-san. May I ask a selfish request?"

"Of course, please do."

"You see...we haven't eaten in a long time. If you perhaps could spare a few sandwiches or something simple, we would really be helped."

He smiled. "That is hardly a selfish request. Let me take care of that."

He called someone and actually said "a few sandwiches or something simple." That made me smile, he's quite literal.

 

The tea arrived pretty quickly and it was extra delicious after all these events.

Nagasawa-san started with some small talk as a warm-up for the matters to be discussed. "Did you feel this morning's earthquake, Queen Akari?"

"Yes, Nagasawa-san...oh...and would you please address us informally during these talks? We are not used to formal speech. It creates...a distance. And we want to close that distance between Earth and the Vahli, not widen it."

Nobody discussed the earthquake anymore..it was just a way to start the conversation.

"Of course....Akari...and...Kira.  Please return the favor and call me Mikio."

"Sure, gladly. See, that's much better already."

"Yes it is, but it is hardly customary to use informal speech, let alone when meeting with such important guests from outer space."

"Ha ha ha...true. But consider this a personal request then. If someone complains, just tell them I begged you."

"Ha ha...sure. And I appreciate your sense of humor. Oh...there are the sandwiches. Just enjoy them please."

A friendly looking older lady brought us sandwiches and onigiri wrapped in plastic. I smiled at her and thanked her "sorry for inconveniencing you."

"It's my pleasure. Enjoy."  And she left us, closing the meeting room door behind her.

I motioned Kira to start eating, because I knew she was hungry. And she picked the onigiri first. I guess she recognized that. I however take a sandwich. Mmm.....tuna mayo.

After swallowing my first bite, I started the official part of our tasks. "Mikio, we have much to discuss, so let me get to the point."

"Of course Akari. Please do."

"First, as a matter of proper etiquette, I will name myself and who I represent. I would ask you to do the same." He nodded. "I am Queen Akari, Queen of the Imperial Vahli Hiveship Akagi. I represent the Vahli interests as authorized by my Empress. She's the one governing all of the Vahi race." 

I looked at Kira and motioned her to properly introduce herself. "I am Kira, an interceptor pilot bound to her majesty Queen Akari as a royal escort. I am here to assist my Queen wherever possible."

"Thank you Kira. And Mikio...she forgot to mention one important thing. She's also one of my best friends. I hope our cooperation will result in friendship as well."   I think I listened too much to the Empress, I already start talking like she does.

Kira nodded with a smile and I motioned him to start talking. 

"Thank you both. I am Nagasawa, Mikio. I work for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as the first minister of Extraterrestrial Affairs. So thank you for the job, Akari." He smiled.

"Ha ha ha...it's my pleasure. So I guess we will be meeting many times from now on?"

"That would be a good thing, yes."

I finished my sandwich and continued. 

"Alright, my people wish to propose an alliance, or business deal if you will, with the Japanese Government first. You will have the opportunity to invite other interested nations into this deal as you see fit."

"Okay, interesting. But your deal is in principle only with Japan?"

"God, how do I say this? Yes.....just...yes. But if anybody asks, it is only out of convenience for our people. We want one person as a contact person, and that will be you, if I may say it so blunt. If any country asks to be included, let them. But we leave the overall coordination to you."

"Yes, that is acceptable. What deal do you propose?"

"Okay, I will list many options, but you and your people don't have to decide now."

Mikio nods and takes a notepad to write down what we discuss. "Please just give me a list and we can discuss them another time after I have consulted with my department."

 "Good... first...I forgot. If any other country feels left out of this deal, please contact me. Oh...and we also need to find a way to make that contact possible I guess..."

"I understand. It will create some international stress, but it would be helpful if you could attend a few meetings here and there."

"Of course. We also need to discuss practical matters. I don't want to go off topic, but we still need instructions on where to land and how to talk to air traffic control. All these little things are frustrating for us. We need to visit you often and these matters take too much time."

"I understand. I will talk to the JSDF and ask them to look into it. Now, would you please list how our both...races might help each other?"

"Of course. Back to the main topic. Eh....I will just give a list. These are not demands or an agreement yet. My Empress needs to agree before they become valid."

"I understand. Same thing for the Japanese Government. This is only an...informal meeting. We discuss what's possible, but nobody agrees to anything yet."

"Exactly, Mikio. Glad you understand. Good. Okay. Eh...the Vahli are interested in your recent progress of antimatter creation." I see him nod and write down what I say.  "We want...no...we would like to use your methods of creating the antimatter and share our findings as equals. This means we will share our technology on that topic and you will share yours."

He nods and keeps writing. "It is my intention to help Earth with clean energy production. But one step at a time. We don't want to collapse the worldwide infrastructure, by overloading you with new technology."

He doesn't look at me, just keeps writing.

"What I just listed are my short term requests. 

In the long term, we might involve Earth in building our Hiveships and other defenses. The technology learned will enhance life for all humans. But before we share any of those technologies, Earth must progress to a certain level. We won't discuss this now, we just want to show you what we truly plan for Earth. You have to know how serious we are."

"I understand. Please proceed."

"We will offer medical knowledge, including scanning equipment that is literally lightyears ahead of what you currently have. 

We can offer ways to feed your population so there won't even be hunger again. 

"Would you like to add more?" 

"Of course, I just waited for you to finish writing. 

We intend....with your approval....to station our interceptors at key locations on military bases. Your people will learn to fly those too and help defend Earth whenever it might be needed. They will require our codes to activate, so using them....for other means....is not possible. Until you progress to the point where you will be allowed to build them yourselves. But we hope you will use them wisely."

"So, you...will actually share those?"

"Of course, but we expect the same from your assets! We share our knowledge and you share yours. It should balance out to favor all of us at some point. Remember...friends...share. But true friends only share what you are ready for."

"I see your point. Please..continue."

"While we don't want to interfere with the natural development of Earth, we see no other way. We need the antimatter and your cleaner way to create it, to support our ever growing population and fleet. And we need to push your R&D so we benefit from it sooner rather than later. Perhaps an exchange program of top scientists and medical staff is interesting for both our races?

Our offer is genuine, but our needs are as well."

"More?"

"Yes, one more thing. And this is extremely important. Do you remember when Earth was attacked?"

"Of course! Everyone on Earth knows about that."

"And you felt vulnerable, right?"

"Yes...what's your point, Akari?"

"Now listen to me...carefully.  I visited their homeworld and I talked this over with my Empress. Both the Kakross and the Vahli have already agreed. Only humanity needs to agree."

"Okay...sounds..important. Continue."

"Yes, this is extremely important. I was able to successfully propose a potential alliance of equals between Earth, the Vahli and the Kakross. It only has to be ratified by all parties. In summary, we will share resources and learn from each other. Of course Earth won't be giving away anything for free, sharing means getting other things in return. Think about this as an interstellar trade deal and an non-aggression pact at the same time. The idea is to upgrade Earth's technologies safely but still quickly, thus ensuring survival of humanity while being surrounded by powerful civilizations." 

"Okay....now that's interesting. You emphasized equals."

"Yes I did. The whole idea is to acknowledge the sovereignty of all worlds. We don't harm each other, but share within predetermined limits." 

"Is there more?"

"Yes, we would like to build a Vahli and Kakross embassy on Earth. Thus ensuring a quick way to contact your neighbors should something disagreeable happen. I mean, nobody's perfect, right?"

"True."

"That is my list for now, Mikio. You may take your time to discuss certain parts. But it is my personal hope that you at least consider the non-aggression pact and the acknowledgement of equality.  Perhaps we can do that first, yes..that sounds easier. And then work out the details of sharing later."

"Okay Akari. I wrote down everything you told me. This is actually quite a lot. But you know how long it can take for us to discuss international treaties, right?"  I nodded. "This one is even interstellar. It's going to take a while. But perhaps...like you said....if we focus on those parts first..." 

"Exactly, and remember...we can have an alliance with Japan first. But preferably with all of Earth. Perhaps the other nations first need to see what happens. Anyway, it's up to you now.  But in case that you DO decide to join the alliance, you should show your willingness to share with us and the Kakross, because otherwise it is pointless. It took me quite some time to convince them. Please, have your reply ready within the month."

"Okay. And what if we refuse the alliance? Just asking."

"And it's good that you ask. If Japan should refuse, we might consider contacting other nations. If none accept, we will withdraw from Earth and leave you alone. Nomatter what happens, we won't bother you ever again nor defend you again."

"Ouch...point taken."

I smiled.  "You can't blame me for being blunt. I want Earth to join in my lifetime. And I don't want to waste it with pointless politics."

"Ha ha ha....I see. Well...I will take this matter up with the highest levels of the government."

"Thank you very much for your time and effort, Mikio."

"No, on the contrary. Thank you for your time. Now...do you ladies have a place to stay? It's already about 5 pm and the trains will be packed."

"Ohh..that's right. Well.. no, we don't have a place to stay, and neither do we have clothes for the night. Let alone money to pay for a hotel. I could of course ask for a pickup from our ship, but I don't think you would appreciate it if two interceptors landed near here."

"No no, that won't be necessary. In order to show you our goodwill, even though I cannot promise that the Government of Japan will accept any of your topics....I will extend our hospitality. Please, would you two stay here in Tokyo for the night? I will arrange for your stay. You can depart in the morning at any time."

"Thank you very much, but we do not want to inconvenience you any further." 

"It is not an inconvenience. You said it yourself...true friends share."

"In that case we humbly accept your kind offer to share. May this meeting be the first of many towards our common goal."

"Well said, Akari. Now let me make a quick phone call."

"Eh...Mikio...just a simple hotel room will suffice okay? I don't want to waste tax money."

"Ha ha ha...alright then. Leave it to me."

 

While Mikio made the call, I reviewed our discussion. I think I'm not fit to be a diplomat, did I tell him everything I wanted to? Were my topics easy to understand? I should have written them down and perhaps told them in another order? Well, what's done is done.

We said our goodbyes and were picked up by a taxi. After arriving in our hotel rooms we noticed that they were anything but simple. They weren't exactly VIP rooms, but still quite luxurious.

Kira and I talked about today's events and enjoyed dinner together...all paid for by the government.

During dinner, a few guests found out that we were the real Akari and Kira, and then things got slightly out of hand. Many people entered the hotel lobby within minutes. Smartphone flashes went off all around us, making me feel dizzy. I guess we are something like celebrities now. And when even a local news team approached us, the hotel staff had to call the police. 

I apologized to the diners and went outside to address the people. I told them briefly that we had visited the Japanese government today. I then added that we hope to become good friends in the future, but that everyone still needs time to think about the details.

I hope this little game of mine will play out nicely. Now the general public knows of it as well. Maybe the news people will start launching questions to the politicians now. Let's wait and see. 

In the morning we returned to Misawa where I returned the Suica Card and cell phone to Kenji. I gave him a summary of my discussion with Mikio and discussed what had happened at the other building. 

He promised me that the security footage of me losing my temper wouldn't be broadcast.

I thanked him for sending Lieutenant Kawamoto as backup to get us out of our predicament and drive us to the correct building. 

He told me Earth was working on a way to contact us in orbit by satellite, so apparently we will know once it works.

After saying goodbye to Kenji, Kira took us home where our friends were waiting for us.

 

Next chapter: Chapter 24: Alliances

 

4