📗 Chapter 25: Signing ceremony
93 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

You won't believe how many times people told me "hey...you look...different somehow" in the week it took us to return to Earth. And I can't even believe it myself, but I can now actually fly!

Kira and Chiri had lots of fun teaching me, but Ghan had more fun watching me crash most of the time. But in the end...I prevailed! 

Aine continued teaching me the language, which at least now shows some form of progress.

Most of the week was spent with Nivri and my many kids. Now that I'm shorter than before and weigh as little as the other Vahli women, Nivri took the opportunity to princess-carry me more than once, just to show me how much he loves me.

I don't really mind, but when he carried me all the way to the nursery once, the nurses gave me quite the strange look. But they know Nivri by now, and let him have some fun too. 

He has to stay on board most of the time while the Empress sends me here and there. After this week, he can't complain of a lack of attention from my side. We even revisited the star-deck again for a much needed romantic night, and no......just watching the stars is romantic enough, thank you very much. At least neither of us can complain about a lack of attention. 

My children are doing fine, some are saying "mommy" and "daddy" already. They have our genetic memory, so I expect them to grow up as fast as Miwa did. During last week, I spent much time with them, feeding them and just being a good mom, I guess. The plushies are as big a hit on the Akagi as they were on the Huntress.

After finally arriving in Earth's solar system again, we joined Miwa's Huntress in a similar orbit around the planet. She came over to the Akagi this time and she met my 15 daughters...I can't believe I just said that. I wonder when Miwa will have kids of her own. 

[ Alliance ]

I was able to contact Kenji through the relays right before we departed for Earth, to inform him about the two Empresses who will visit Earth soon. 

And now, after spending a few more days with my friends, I contacted Kenji again to make some last minute arrangements, because the moment has come for us. The Alliance will be ratified here...on Earth, in Tokyo's Imperial Palace....today. I expect the Empresses to arrive any moment now.

Imagine this...people from all over the world will see us there. What an honor to be welcomed into the Palace! 

The Emperor and Empress of Japan will host the first meeting of the Alliance. People will remember it as the location where the Alliance first began. 

And let's not forget the royalty on our side, my Empress, Miwa and I. And of course the Kakross Empress. No wonder that security needs to be top notch. 

We will arrive a few hours early to check on security and stuff. Maybe even advise people about matters. It is strange, but for some reason Kenji became our main contact, not Nagasawa-san, the kind man representing the Japanese Government. 

I hope Kenji will get a promotion soon, he has earned one with all the trouble we have caused him.

The Imperial Palace's gardens are an excellent location for us to land. I feel absolutely guilty about landing in such a beautiful park, but in the end...it's about its function. This is why a Palace exists in the first place, for important matters, right?

The local time in Tokyo is 1600 hours. The guests are scheduled to arrive in two hours, so at 1800 hours.

It's cold outside but our coats protect us from the winter cold perfectly. Last night it snowed here, but only a bit, reminding us that spring is still far away. 

It really was a pity to land here...beautifully well maintained gardens where usually no ordinary human is allowed. Well, we aren't human, but you get my point.

Our "inspection team" consists of Kira, Chiri, Ghan, Nivri, Aine and myself. Miwa will land later, together with the Empress. 

We take a look around and walk away from our craft, walking towards a guard.

I see three JSDF people in uniform behind us walking to our craft, probably guarding them. I didn't bring along guards, because...I mean.....this is the Palace! This place is as safe as it can get!

Another person in a JSDF uniform approaches us, and no...it's not Kenji.

"Good afternoon, Queen Akari and honored guests. Nice to meet you, I am major Shibuya, Japan Ground Self-Defense force." 

The major introduced himself as did we all. 

"Shibuya? As in..."  I didn't finish the sentence.

"The famous crossing, yes."   The major has a serious expression on his face....not a man of many words and definitely too serious for my taste. But luckily not all people are the same.

I decided to drop the matter, I guess he had heard the name joke too many times already. 

Then he asked "I heard you would be arriving earlier. Would you like to inspect the security measures now?" 

"Not yet major, we just arrived here and if you don't mind we would like fifteen minutes or so to just take in the sights. As you can probably imagine, they don't let us out much."

"Alright, but I would like to point out that these are the Palace gardens. Security is tight here, so you won't be allowed to..." 

"Excuse me.." A familiar male voice said. 

I turn around "Ah, Nagasawa-san."  My contact from the Japanese Government. He's early as well!

"Good afternoon, Queen Akari, and guests. Shibuya-san, I will take over from you here."

Mmmm, I guess they know each other.

"Of course. Excuse me." Shibuya-san bowed and excused himself, handing over the pleasantries to Nagasawa-san.

"I may have overheard that you wanted to see the gardens a bit more?" He smiled and for some reason focused on our shoes for a moment. I know, they don't look like much, but they are nice and comfy!

"Yes, we would love to. Just fifteen minutes or so. It's a pity there aren't any flowers blooming in December."

"Eh....it's already January, Akari."  Mikio switched to informal mode now we were finally alone. It sure is much better for me than Nagasawa-san.

"Excuse me? January? I thought we were still in December?" I shook my head. I must have been hibernating in that cocoon longer than I had thought. And this just underlines the need to finally track time properly, I feel so stupid now.

"Ha ha ha, time sure does fly, doesn't it?" He said. Luckily he has a great sense of humor. He then continues. "Mmmm....I know they have a greenhouse here. It's usually off limits to anyone but the Imperial Family and the groundskeepers, but I think nobody will mind.
You are Japan's honored guests after all, and you are accompanied by a representative from the Government. So perhaps....you want to have a quick look?"

"YES, thank you!"  My wings suddenly decided to buzz for a moment from the excitement. Our coats have these openings for when the wings need to extend. They kind of have a life of their own sometimes.

He looked surprised at them for a moment, but didn't comment. I guess that's what it takes to become a skilled diplomat. I would have been startled, or worse, have embarrassed myself by laughing.

Aine asked me "Eh...would you mind....if we....flew there?" I glanced at Mikio. Did he hear her question?

"By all means, I would love to see you fly. It's hardly something you get to see everyday. Just go ahead, I will see you inside the reception area." 

"Okay, you heard the good man. And where....ah...okay."

He pointed at a building in the distance..right...the one with all the glass....duh..

I nodded to my friends and they just buzzed off without even asking me if I wanted to join. He gazed at my friends who flew away, while only Aine remained at my side. Yep, she would make a fine diplomat too.

"Do you want to try to fly there?" Aines asked me, really carefully.

"Yeah..I don't know..." I scratched my head. This is outside...I only practiced on the Akagi. If I fall down...everyone will see... 

"Trust me...it's in your genes. Just....follow me!"  And she started hovering in mid air. Right before two surprised people.

I then tried to hover again...and it really just worked! I'm now hovering as well. Aine flies off and motions me to follow her.

My body tries to follow the same maneuver, but I'm not flying in a straight line at all. I'm looking forward, but moving sideways. This must look very funny. But my god...this is fast! Already after practicing for a minute I can fly pretty much like the others do and arrive at the greenhouse. But landing....not so easy, I fell down with my nose in the grass..."ouch."

Aine helps me to my feet and inspects my clothes. "All is fine, Akari. Did you like flying outside?"

"Like??? It was AMAZING! I felt just like a bee."

"You said that sometime already. What were those again?"

"They are small insects who gather pollen from flowers and make honey out of it. Like Jujus, but smaller. There seem to be many similarities to us and them."

"Oh, right, I think I remember. Are there any bees here?" She looked around, hoping to see something interesting.

"There are, yes. Sorry, I didn't intend to listen in on your conversation. I'm a groundskeeper here. And I know for a fact that our bees form a new nest in autumn unlike their cousins in nature. Want to...see 'm?"

"YES!"  Both Aine and I replied at once.

"Alright, then please follow me."

We follow the good man into the greenhouse and are amazed by the high temperature here. It's not an ordinary greenhouse either, it's a rather big place! They must be heating it in the winter.

"Welcome to the imperial greenhouse, I would like to say....but it's just a greenhouse. The flowers grown here will be planted in spring to replace the ones that are not surviving winter. But they are also used for meetings such as today. You will see them everywhere in the Palace as decoration, like on the tables."

"Wow...I can hardly wait to see those."  I said with a big smile.

Everyone is now inside and the door is closed to protect the flowers from the cold air outside.

Are those....roses? I walk to one bush and smell at a rose...it smells more...real? More...intense? Ahhhh....so nice!

"Mmm...straight for the roses." The groundskeeper smiled at the sight.

"Yes, I don't know why. It's almost like they called out to me. Oh, tell me please, do you see these violet lines?" I asked, motioning him to a rose. I can't pick the flower, that would just be rude.

"Let me see....violet...lines...no, I'm afraid not. But I don't have my reading glasses with me. But I never saw lines on roses though."

"Yeah, I thought so. Aine, remember that day when we visited Misawa? I used Kenji's tablet to read an article about bees." She nodded. "Anyway, it seems that bees can even see UV light. So maybe our eyes are a bit like theirs?"

"That's...interesting. I never had the opportunity to talk with a bee before, no offense." The groundskeeper grins.

"Ha ha ha, non taken. So you think we look like bees too?"

"Of course! It was the first thing I thought when I saw you on TV..."

"Ha ha ha...and please, don't be alarmed, we are not offended in the slightest."

"Ah thank god for that. I often just say what I think....without thinking first. It's a bad habit."

"I like that..just honest. I wish everyone did that. It would save a lot of trouble."

"But it would make diplomacy difficult..." said Aine.

"Ohhh!  there! Those are bees, Aine!"  I pointed at a bee near one of the flowers. It landed on a rose and already departed to land at another flower.

We all ran towards the bee who was diligently collecting pollen.

"Awwwww....she's so cute!" Aine said. 

I caught my friends nodding, and I have to agree.

"She?" The groundskeeper asked.

"Yes, I can sense that it's a female." Aine stated matter of factly.

"Amazing...can you also....talk to them?" He asked.

"Good question. Aine, can you talk to her?"  I have to know now!

Aine looks at me like I'm insane for asking.  "Akari...she can't speak...how do you think speech works?"

"Duh..sorry for asking. Remember the doc? He would be interested to know this too. He thinks humans and us have common ancestors." I tried to prove my point.

"Eh..let's not ruin a nice moment with that guy." Aine wants to forget the doc already. Can't say that I blame her.

"Agreed."

"Oh!" The bee landed on my arm, and then took off to land on my hand. I was about to blow it....eh...her away when more arrived..and landed on me as well.

"Ha ha ha....they seem to like you."  The groundskeeper said.

"Mmmm.....they must sense that you are a Queen.."  Aine said.

"Eh..take 'm off!"  My wings started fluttering for a moment and the bees immediately left me.

"Huh...what was that about?" I asked.

"Interesting...maybe your wings spoke to them in some way?" The groundskeeper was fascinated.

"Let's try that again sometime...but Aine, we really need to start doing the security check."

"Aw...well, I guess so. At least we met those bees. And the flowers in here are beautiful!"

"They are, aren't they?" The groundskeeper said.

"Absolutely. Thank you for allowing us to see them."

"The honor is all mine."

We bowed and then made our rounds to check on the security precautions.

After making sure that the security was more than adequate, we heard a helicopter approach. That's a...white Mitsubishi H-60! They are Japan-built Blackhawks.

We rush towards it, but are kept at a distance by JSDF personnel. The rotor slowly stops and when all is secure, the door opens and...there's Kenji, my mom, Hitomi and Haru.

They are pretty early, probably trying to avoid the press. The whole world knows what is about to happen, so I can't blame them for arriving by helicopter.

"Mom!"  I finally saw my mom again.

"Akari!" Mom ran to me and wanted to embrace me, but stopped the moment she glanced at me. "Akari....you look different. Again."

"Yes, mom, I already know that. There's nothing human about me anymore."

She noticed the gloomy look in my eyes. 

She then embraced me and for some reason lifted me up as if I were a toddler. I guess she was just as surprised as I was about that.

"Eh...Akari...did you lose weight too?" She put me down to the ground and looked at me. 

"Yes, mom. I can even fly now...so that's a plus at least."

"Wow....can you show us?"  Hitomi joined the conversation.

"Hi big sis. Not now, maybe later okay? I don't want to draw attention from the press. I guess they are lurking around here somewhere."

"Ah, right." 

"Hi Haru."

"Hi Akari."

Good. The obligatory greeting with Haru is now done. Check.

"Hey! Kenji!"

"Ha ha ha....Akari...wow, you look different."

"Yeah, I know, Kenji. It's a long story. We finished checking security matters around here, but I'm glad they let you join us here." 

"Yep, thanks for having me. They could hardly refuse, when a Queen demands my presence."

"Ugh..you make it sound so...official."

"Ha ha ha...it is official, Akari, it is! It's not everyday when you sign a treaty with two alien species."

"I hate that. We're no aliens, just....friends from far away. Maybe reeeeallly far away."

"That's my Akari. Relax dear, this is not a discussion." Mom said with a smile.

"<sigh>. Mom, it's gonna be a long night. So how about we take a peek at the reception area and the conference room?"

"You're the Queen, please lead the way," Kenji said.

No pressure...

We walked on the path to the reception area and at some point heard the helicopter take off again. Of course they did, they only brought my family and Kenji here. 

We approached the reception area where two JSDF people guarded the entrance...fully armed. 

"Kenji, is this really necessary? I mean safety okay...but to have them stand there so..visibly?"

"Akari...those were your orders, remember? And I quote...maximum security. There's still time to change them into civilian clothing if you want?"

"No....let them be. I already feel sorry for them...having to stand there all night long."

"Akari..this is not their first watch, trust me, trust them." 

"I will." I looked at the guards, who were in full military uniform, one on the left and one on the right of the entrance. It doesn't feel right. The Imperial Palace is a place of peace. A place where guests are received, but now it's more like a stronghold. It goes against the core principle of this place, but today's visitors are hardly ordinary. But that's indeed what I wanted....maximum security...no choice I guess.

I look at the guards and say "Men, thank you very much for your hard work. I don't need to remind you what's at stake, but know that we are grateful for your help.

You are not only guarding the guests, but also the hosts, their Majesties the Emperor and Empress of Japan. Keep your eyes open..and keep us safe." 

"Yes ma'am!"  They both said while saluting. I saluted as well. 

"May we enter the reception area?" I asked them.

"One moment please. Can you please show us your ID?"

"Well done....you both pass!" I said smiling. All of us showed our special IDs and were then allowed to enter.

I turned back for a moment while the others walked inside. "Sorry, but may I have your attention for a moment?"

"Yes?" 

"I know I am not your commanding officer, and can't issue any orders to you. However...please understand that both the Vahli and Kakross demanded that their security staff will join you. None of them should bother you. But just in case something appears off, or someone prevents you from doing your duty...have someone send for me."

"Yes, ma'am."

I gave them a courteous bow and walked inside the reception area.

Kenji waited for me. "Was there something wrong?"

"No Kenji, but I told them that the Vahli and Kakross will also send their guards. I just don't want them to be surprised."

"Akari, this is a military operation. They were already fully briefed."

"Then why do I have this gut wrenching feeling that something will happen?"

"I don't know? Maybe you're just hungry?" He gave me that typical Kenji look....smiling, but seemingly laughing loudly on the inside.

"Huh? Ha ha ha ha, you know me too well. I hope you're right..let's find the others."

And there you have it.

"...cut off flowers here?" I heard Chiri say. She turned around and looked at me when she noticed me. "Akari! Why are there cut flowers in this building?"

"First of all, this is not just any building. This is the reception area of the Imperial Palace of Japan. Just like the Empress's throne room on Vahli Prime."

"Ahh.....so they have an Empress here too?"

"Chiri, didn't you attend the briefing?" I asked.

"What briefing?" She said, looking at Kira.

"<sigh> Chiri, you were training new pilots this morning, and I forgot to brief you." Kira said. "Sorry, Akari."

"It happens. Just...Kira...take care of it please." Kira nodded, after which I continued.

"And those flowers...as you can see by the many decorations, they are a symbol of celebration. People on this planet often surprise their....mates....with a few flowers."  

I smiled at Nivri and he returned the smile. Then I added "Maybe mom can tell you more about it later. She has a flower shop after all."

My mom nodded and said "I'd love to." Within a nanosecond mom was already on it. Flowers are her thing...her life, her hobby. So I just leave those two to it.

I left mom and Chiri in the reception area where the Emperor and Empress will receive their guests. So many people will be bowing or shaking hands later today. It'll be nice and warm here, better than outside.

"Oh, that reminds me. Kenji, what time is it?"

"It's about five o'clock."

"Huh? Five already...?  Alright, everyone...we need to speed up. We checked the security measures, so that's okay. I expect most guests to arrive within thirty minutes, so let's have a quick look in the conference room area." 

I first imagined that today would be some kind of grand event where a live orchestra creates the needed ambience for a classy evening, but it was requested from both the Vahli and Kakross Empresses to keep the event as short as diplomatically possible, to minimize their exposure on Earth. I don't blame them, they don't know Earth as well as I do, but from their point of view they are visiting an unknown planet.

I walked towards the conference room and a well mannered and handsome looking man opened the doors for us. He's with the Palace's staff, so he definitely knows his stuff very well. 

He bows to us and I return the bow. I know, I don't have to...but it's hard to stop bowing when you have been doing exactly that every single day for eighteen years. And on and off for the last two.

We walk into the room and I see a long wooden table with white cloth on the table's surface. There are about...let's see...twenty or so chairs..not very much considering the historic impact today's Alliance will have on Earth's development. 

There are vases with freshly picked flowers next to each dinner plate. Cutlery...squeaky, shiny clean as it can possibly be. The chairs are comfortably looking too. I see name tags written in English and Japanese near each plate. They are hand-written, very elegantly looking.

I walk around the table and the staff is waiting for us to complete our visit. "Apologies for interrupting your work. I promise that we will leave here within a few minutes."

"Please take your time, madam Queen, our preparations are complete."

"I see. And thank you very much for your hard work! Everything looks tip-top. No complaints at all....only amazement."

"Thank you very much. Please feel free to ask us in case you need anything."

"Of course." I gave them an honest smile. They are pros.

I walk around the table and see that Japan's Empress and Emperor are seated next to each other at the leftmost seat. Their conversation partners for tonight, sitting across them, appear to be the two Empresses. Well, that certainly makes sense. 

Then we have....huh.....me? I'm sitting at the head of the table....nooooo no no no no...what the heck? That should be the President, maybe? No, she's sitting next to the Japanese Empress and Nagasawa-san sits across the table. I would have thought that Japan's prime minister would attend, but what do I know of politics? Perhaps he has other obligations? 

I learned later that the Prime Minister would have attended, but he had had an unfortunate accident recently. So Nagasawa-san, who was already on the guest-list, would take over this official duty from him.

Then there's a seat for the US Secretary of State, Jonah Wall. And Kenji sits across from him. So...they see Kenji as representative of the Japanese government, I think. Well, good for him!

Then we have...and I'm a bit ashamed....most seats are for my people and friends. Mom, Hitomi and Haru, who I just wanted to be with me. But maybe not a very wise idea considering the number of people I brought along. Well.....whatever....it's too late for that now. 

We then have seats for Miwa, Kira, Chiri, Ghan, Aine and....Nivri. My husband is sitting the furthest away from me. That kinda sucks...but this is only business I guess. I'll make it up to him, I know he'll forgive me. I know that Miwa is supposed to bring her retainer along, but I managed to prevent that. Otherwise there is no end of the guests I would have to invite.

There's still plenty of room for additional Vahli and Kakross guards and retainers, if any. Unless they bring dozens of them. Let's stay positive, Akari....

The room has a classic Japanese feeling to it. Luckily there are no tatami floors, they would be wasted after everyone walks over them. No, they are dark colored wooden floors who must have seen their fair share of meetings. But very well maintained, not even a scratch to be seen. 

There's a huge television screen hanging on the wall behind where I'll be sitting later, but I don't think that will be used tonight. 

Ballroom-style lamps give the impression that this conference room changes into a ballroom at some occasions. But there won't be any dancing tonight. A large standing clock with a soft ticking noise completes the welcoming atmosphere....nice! 

Well, what can I say? Probably one of the best conference rooms I have ever seen. 

"Alright, thank you all. If there are no questions, then I would like to ask you all to please head back to the landing area. I will be here to show my respect to their Majesties, the Emperor and Empress of Japan. You guys will enter after both Empresses and the Government officials."

Nobody raised a question, so they slowly left the room. 

"See, everyone is impressed already." I said to the attendants. 

"Thank you madam Queen."  An attendant bowed and gave me a courteous smile.

Great, I just want to have a bit of informal time with them, but I guess that's against etiquette.

"Sorry, would you be able to tell me when their Majesties will arrive?"

"Of course...they will be here to receive their guests in about five minutes, madam Queen."

"Good, then please excuse me."  I'm too polite, I know. Forgive me for being nervous, please.

I walk outside and stand close to the guards.

 

Above me I hear a loud noise...the transports are here. They're here! The Vahli and Kakross Empresses with all their security staff. There are four transports and three Vahli interceptors and three Kakross Vipers landing. Quite the site to behold!

I hope my friends can delay them for a few minutes.

"Akari for Kira." I talked to my watch.

"Kira here."

"I know they are landing now, just keep them there for a bit. We are not ready here."

"Of course. How about five minutes, Akari? Unlike me, they both are Empresses..."

"Eh....gotcha. I'll take those five minutes."

But lucky for me I see a well polished car approaching. The weather is still dry, but also cold, if not colder than before. The only thing that has really changed is that it's now dark. Where is the press? Not even a single camera is in sight. Maybe later?

Ah....speak of the.... "Hello Satoshi and crew. Cutting it a bit close, aren't we?" I said with a big smile.

"Hello Queen Akari, nice to meet you again. Yes, we were delayed at the security checkpoint. Yamada-san, are we live?"

"Switching to live in 5,4,3...."  and he gestured that we were live.

Great...here we go again. Time to improvise. No rest for Akari..ever.

"Ladies and gentlemen, people all over the world, we are now at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo where Queen Akari is waiting to receive their Majesties, the Emperor and Empress of Japan. Tell me please, Queen Akari, have you met them before?"

"No Satoshi, tonight I will have the honor to meet them both for the first time. And you?" Ah...stupid question, but it's already out.

"Ha ha ha....yes same for me. But if you don't mind, we are only here to watch, not to bother you."

"I will hold you to that, ha ha ha."

"Ha ha, yes, Queen Akari has quite the humor." 

I hear him speak into the microphone, but can't understand what he says. He really stays in the background this time.

I know, he's just stalling, I see their Majesties stepping out of the car and they're walking to us. 

Mmmm..they have no attendants? Well, I guess that's just how it is.

"Queen Akari, a question from..." 

But I put my finger on my lips to tell him to be silent, then I pointed behind him. "Later Satoshi....later please." 

He smiled and nodded. So much for staying in the background. I'm sure he missed the car approaching, he would never interrupt me. He's a professional after all.

I waited for their majesties to slowly walk to us while the cameraman, the sound technician and Satoshi stepped back. 

My god...they're here! Nervous! Sooo nervous! I.....I...relax Akari. They are not your Emperor and Empress anymore.......nope, that doesn't help!

Then, after taking a deep breath I feel calm and relaxed....for the moment.

I bow very deep to them and then rise, "Your majesties. Please allow me to introduce myself. I am Kagiyama, Akari. I am the Queen of the Imperial Vahli Hiveship Akagi. It is a great honor to meet you both."

I desperately want to say "just call me Akari," but that would be a breach of etiquette...yikes, almost said it.

Both of them bow to me too!  This is way too much respect! They should, formally speaking, never have to bow to anyone!

"Queen Akari, I am Emperor Nakajima, Suehiro."

"Queen Akari, I am Empress Nakajima, Tokume. We both are honored to make your acquaintance."

Ahhhh! Tooo much etiquette! Heeelp! Keep smiling!

"Your majesties, the honor is all mine. Now, if you would allow me, I would now like to introduce the visiting guests to you."

"Of course, sorry for inconveniencing you."

I just smiled and then motioned for Satoshi to come forward. "Satoshi, if you could. Would you please stand over there? I will now call the guests, so you can get a perfect shot from there."

"Of course. My apologies for standing in your way, your Majesties." 

My god, Satoshi, they are still human beings. Well, whatever, he's gone. Now I can finally speak to them properly.

"Eh..forgive me for doing that just now. Would you please forgive me for being plain and simple Akari for a minute?" I put my right hand on my heart.....I mean, I still have one? Don't I?

"Don't worry dear, we can tell you are nervous, no matter how many times we have formal meetings...we know that feeling all too well." The Empress said with a motherly look and kind voice.

"My god, thank you so much for understanding. I used to be Akari until two years ago and now everyone addresses me as Queen. And yes, I'm very nervous. So please be informal with me if you like."

"That's at least one thing we already have in common. I heard you say on television that you used to be...human until recently?"

"Yes, and then things slowly started changing until I woke up and looked like this. Strange huh?"

"Yes, very. Did it hurt?" The Empress asked, looking genuinely concerned. 

I smiled at her, she's a very nice lady! "No, not at all. It's just that I'm still feeling like I'm Japanese, but everybody keeps reminding me that I'm not. It's actually difficult sometimes."

"BEEP"  My watch beeped.

"Excuse me please. Yes, Kira?"

"Kira here, I can't delay them any further. Is it okay for them to head to the entrance now?"

"Yes please, their Majesties are waiting now. Tell me, how many guards did they bring along?"

"About 12."

"That's....not so bad." I said.

"..Each.." Kira added.

"What? No no no....my god. I can't have over twenty security staff here!"

"What do you want me to do?" Kira sounds distressed, and I can't blame her.

"May I?" The Empress said, while pointing at my watch.

I nodded and held the watch closer to her. "Of course."

"This is the Empress of Japan speaking. You can have a total of ten guards inside. We won't allow any more. Please acknowledge."

"Akari...was that...?"

I put the watch near my mouth again and nodded to the Empress as a thank you.

"Yes, Kira..That was a royal order, please don't disrespect the Emperor and Empress of Japan."

"Ehhh.....yes my Queen. As you command. But what...how?" 

"Simple Kira, 5 Kakross and 5 Vahli guards can enter. The rest remain outside with the human guards. There are only a few people inside, so we can't allow any more."

"Affirmative. Kira..out." 

I looked at her majesty, took a deep breath and said "thank you, that helped a lot."

"My pleasure....Akari."

"Thank you....thank you so much for just calling me by my name."

"Maybe...you could visit us in a more informal setting in the future? We'd love to receive you as our guest one day." The Emperor said.

"That honor....you have to understand...you....majesty.....both..."

"Ha ha ha....relax Akari. Just say yes."

"Yes!" I actually said it without thinking, I'm really THAT nervous.

"Very good. We'll be in touch." He smiled.

"And perhaps...if you would like...one day visit my ship or even the homeworld? I just don't have a Palace or anything like that." I just have to return the favor, don't want to seem impolite.

"We'd like that. One day. And Akari...we have to maintain etiquette from now on. Especially with the camera near us."

"Yes, of course, that's why I sent him away in the first place. Just...thank you for your understanding. And please don't hesitate to ask me anything. Or if you need anything. You know..."

"Akari.....relax..." The Empress put her hand on my arm...and it helped.

"Yes, my Empress. I mean.....sorry."

She smiled at me and we then all switched into formal-mode. I just hope that Satoshi didn't see any of that.

Then I see quite the number of people approaching us. First the Kakross Empress with about ten guards.

In a loud voice I introduce the guests. "Your Majesty, Empress of the Kakross. Welcome to Earth. May we introduce you to their majesties, the Emperor and Empress of Japan."

All of them bow and share respectful greetings. But the Kakross Empress's greeting was a bit awkward. 

She said "your Majesties, the honor to meet the Emperor and Empress of this planet is all ours. We can't wait to see your Hive from within."

I really do have to set the record straight to prevent any mishaps. "Your Majesty," I looked at the Kakross Empress. "This is not the Hive you are looking for. This is only a meeting place." 

I saw her look at me with a confused expression. Maybe she just noticed that I look different again. I decided to ignore this and switched topics. "We hope Kira has already informed you that there is only room for five of your guards inside."

"Yes, so we heard. It is of no consequence to us. We trust in your security measures to keep us safe. None of our guards shall desecrate the sanctity of their home. We hope this pleases you, Emperor and Empress of Japan."

"It does. We thank you for your kindness and understanding. Please, if you would follow our attendant. The others shall join you momentarily."

The Kakross Empress nods politely and follows an attendant inside. My god, she's even taller than last time...nope...I really shrank. But she's huge! Watch your head! Oof...she noticed, we're safe.

Then I see my Empress approaching.

"Your Majesty, Empress of the Vahli. Welcome to Earth. May we introduce you to their majesties, the Emperor and Empress of Japan."

They exchanged their ultra-polite greetings and introductions and then my Empress decided to add something. "Our daughter Akari has told us much about you. She thinks very highly of you...something we cannot say of many other people."

"She does? That's...quite the honor. And before we start the formal part of this visit, we would like to personally thank you for assisting in the defense of Earth."

"It was our honor. And we are most pleased that it resulted in the cooperation of our worlds. But let's leave that part for later."

"Indeed. Please, would you follow our attendant? The others shall join you shortly."

She smiled, nodded and headed inside. 

It seems that the Empress of Japan is speaking most of the time. Perhaps they feel the need to mirror the Vahli and Kakross Empresses? It would be very polite, yes.

"Ehh...she's your mother, Akari?" The Empress asked while the other guests were just far enough for her to ask this.

"Yes...no...it's more an honorary title. But in the end...she's more like my mom away from home. So like a second mom, yes."

"Interesting. Your life must be complicated." The Emperor said.

"Oh, it is alright, but I'd love to tell you about it. One day?"

"Gladly. One day it is then."

I continued introducing the President and Mr Wall, the delegation from the United States. Apparently the President has already met them at another occasion. A small world, huh?

Then Nagasawa-san and Kenji, representing the Japanese Government and the JSDF respectively. I had to add that last part in order to properly introduce Kenji. He's my friend, but it will be my thank-you to the JSDF, who have helped us so much. 

I decided to skip the camera crew, I don't think that would be appropriate. Perhaps I can introduce them inside, we'll see.

Then I could finally introduce my family and friends including Miwa and of course my Nivri. Mom's eyes just sparkled when I introduced her to them. It's not everyday when you meet your Emperor and Empress, is it?

"Alright your Majesties, those are all the guests on our list. Shall we join them?" 

"By all means Akari, please lead the way." The Emperor said. 

I nodded and walked to the conference room where the Empresses were already seated and engaged in a seemingly friendly discussion with the other guests. It's hard to believe the Empresses were at war with each other until quite recently. Either their acting skills are second to none, or there is still hope that they actually form more than just a working relationship.

Then I noticed that the Empresses had swapped seats, because they can't read English or Japanese of course. I simply stealthily swapped their name tags and fixed the issue without them even noticing. 1-0 for Akari!

Jonah, the President, Kenji and my friends were already standing in front of their seats, probably with Kenji's or an attendant's guidance.

"Excuse me, both Empresses, might I ask to stand for a moment?"

They focused on me, stopped speaking and nodded with a smile. Great, they are all standing now....I guess it's up to me again.

I walked to my position at the head of the table...I guess they want me to do the talking like a chairman in a meeting, so they let me sit there.

Oh crap, Satoshi and his team are now in here too....so that's why there are more chairs. I can hardly refuse them dinner. I see their name tags now too, simply  "TV crew". They must have added them last-minute because they noticed my informal tone with Satoshi.

"Excuse me. Satoshi and team, please make yourselves comfortable as well. You are invited...and expected to join us at the dinner table after the signing ceremony."

"Thank you very much, Queen Akari. We respectfully accept. Please do not pay any attention to us, we won't interfere with your talks."

"Understood. Now that the formal introductions are over.....let us start with why we are all here today. Our hosts have prepared a desk, over there, and I will ask you to come forward and sign the treaty, or alliance if you will, there. This will ratify the alliance between our three worlds." 

I look at the camera and need to think ahead. If I don't address the people of Earth properly, more issues will follow soon. "For Earth the treaty is currently only valid for Japan and The United States of America. Let me remind the people at home who are watching, that any other nation on Earth is more than welcome to join. The alliance is all about protecting, sharing and peace. If any nation would like to invite me for a visit, please do. You may contact me through the Japanese Government or the Japanese embassy in your nations."

I looked at the people gathered here again, then said "all of you will have the opportunity to address the people here and the people watching through television later on. 

Now, let us start with the signing ceremony. The ceremony will be short and without the festivities or speeches you might expect for such an event. This is due to the security reasons taken.  

Alright, let me first start with our hosts. I would like to ask their majesties the Emperor and Empress of Japan, to come forward and sign the document."

The signing ceremony took no more than ten minutes, where Nagasawa-san signed on behalf of the Japanese Government with a specially designed Hanko-stamp. Then the President of the United States signed.

Finally both Empresses were asked to sign. They were not used to writing on paper, so stamps were designed for them as well. Stamps that show the Imperial Kakross and Vahli Symbols.

"Alright, everyone, thank you and please, do sit down. It's almost time for us to enjoy dinner. I would like to give the word to our hosts."

"Thank you, Queen Akari." The Emperor said. "I would like to ask all of you to take the time to break the restrictions of formality and enjoy your dinner.

Now that the treaty has been signed by all, allow me to show you an old Earth custom."

Everyone here has a glass of water in front of them, as it is probably the safest thing to drink for everyone. Time for tea will follow soon.

He takes his glass and raises it. "May this Alliance bring us friendship, cooperation and mutual benefits."

"Hear hear!" the president and Jonah said. The others just raised their glasses after following my example.

Everyone took a sip to complete the toast.

I then smiled at Satoshi and his team who were still filming. No...I'm not going to eat with the whole world watching us.

"Excuse me please." I said to my fellow diners, and walked to Satoshi.

"Satoshi and team. I must insist on having you join us for dinner. Please celebrate with us. Kindly stop the live transmission for an hour or so."

"Of course, Queen Akari."  Satoshi contacts the Tokyo news center and says "....and back to you."

"And we're offline," Yamada-san, the cameraman said.

"Perfect, please take your seats. I will signal you once you may resume."  I motioned them to join the table.

He and his team nodded and simply joined us at the table.

While arranging the meeting, about a week ago, I asked for a basic dinner, so I don't want to show the world anything about today's dinner, for it is not a fair representation of Japan's culinary capabilities.

My main concerns are with the Vahli and Kakross here, who are mostly used to their nourishment. I also want to keep them here for as short a period as possible. Those were their wishes to begin with.

Dinner is a western-style dinner with Japanese touches. We have miso soup, bread, white rice, and tempura too. Honestly...my favorite.

I decided against meat, I really don't know how they would react to that. I know that the Vahli eat it occasionally, but I don't know about the Kakross.

So bear with me, the Emperor and Empress know about the request, I just don't want any situation here. Is this a royal feast? Not really, but for today it will have to do.

I just felt that it was necessary to inform Satoshi about dinner. I don't want to read the morning paper with headlines like "cheap, basic dinner for aliens."

"Everyone, if I may have your attention for a moment. Thank you. We have tried taking everyone's food preferences into account. Japanese cuisine has much, much more variety to offer than what we can show you today. Our hosts have graciously accommodated my request for a more...eh... basic meal..if you will. So, Mr Satoshi, please understand that this is the main reason for pausing the live transmission."

"I completely understand, Queen Akari. Don't worry."

"Thank you. Now please enjoy! Itadakimasu!"

At this point the dinner was served, or it would have been cold already. Not a pleasant thought.

Everyone else followed with a similar "thank you for the food."

I tried to break the ice and walked to my friends who were studying the cutlery. For most of them this is not their first encounter with them. "Just try to follow our example. Yep..perfect. And...how's the miso?"

"Really delicious." Chiri said.

"Now I see why you are so fond of Earth! I love it!" Miwa said with a big smile.

The others nodded in agreement.

The Kakross and Vahli Empresses tried to use the cutlery while showing their teeth. It's quite the scary sight. They were having a hard time with the cutlery, so I just intervened.

"Empresses, please, please use your hands if the cutlery is inconvenient."

"Akari, we shall not surrender to this!"

"And neither shall we. It would be an insult to our hosts."  The Kakross Empress said.

"By all means, everyone. There will be more time to appreciate our customs in the future. It is not enjoyable to eat it when it's cold."  The Japanese Empress said.

Both Empresses nodded and the Vahli Empress said, "if that is the case, then we shall gladly take our time to learn in the future."

And this is the point where I regretted basically telling them to just eat it however they wanted to. Everything is now eaten the old fashioned way..by using one's hands.

I carefully glanced at our hosts...and they put the cutlery down as well. They started eating with their hands too! Then the rest of us simply followed. Such a respectful way...they surely know how to be diplomatic.

When our eyes met, I smiled cautiously. But the Empress gave me a warm smile in return. It tells me all I need to know "Akari...it's okay."

I had severely underestimated the ferocious appetite of the Kakross Empress....of course there is plenty to go around...but she really appreciated the rice.

After almost an hour of extremely awkward dinner, all of us who could retract their teeth did so. The attendants remained polite and friendly, I know for a fact that they never saw anything as barbaric as this. But...that's life I guess.

They cleaned the table and then tea or coffee with sweets were served.

I now finally dare to ask Satoshi to resume their live transmission.

"Satoshi...if you wish...please continue the live transmission. We will have room for your commentary if you wish. This meeting shall end in about half an hour."

"Thank you. Alright, that's our cue."  He and his team stand up and carefully assemble their gear further away.

"...and live."

"Ladies and gentlemen, we will now resume our live transmission, thank you for staying with us. We have heard from reliable sources that something special is scheduled for tonight. I want to remind everyone that we will accept questions you would like Queen Akari to answer.

She graciously promised to answer them, so now's your chance. As most of you know, two nations on Earth have now ratified a treaty with the Kakross and Vahli Empires. Queen Akari has personally invited other nations to join the Alliance and asked me to underline that she's more than happy to visit any nation considering this. Of course both nations still need to negotiate any trade deals. Both the Japanese and US governments will allow for public referenda, ensuring that the deal will reflect the majority of each nation. One of the short-term benefits Japan expects is..."

"BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP   EMERGENCY ALERT.  Seek shelter immediately!" Fuku's distressed voice shouts through my watch and startles everyone here. She continues "Incoming Kakross probes. We are under attack."

The President, Jonah and the Empresses don't know what's going on. I guess this time Fuku only spoke Japanese? I still don't understand that watch.

Kenji jumps up, just like I did and he looks at me...waiting for a split second to see if I need to say something.

"Kenji! Guards!" is all I can say while wildly pointing outside.

I see Kenji sprinting to the guards and shouting "Guards! Intruders! Weapons free!"

"YES SIR!" 

I quickly explain what's going on to everyone, just in case they didn't understand the message. "Everyone, down, now! We are under attack!"

I saw everyone sit behind their chairs, waiting for further instructions.

Just a moment later I heard what I had dreaded most.

"STOP! ...SHIT!......."   RATATATATATA

I heard the sound of distant gunfire...Earth semi-automatics. Our military!

Then Kenji returned and said "EVERYONE.. get under your tables NOW!"

And everyone quickly followed his order. 

RATATATATATA. The sound is now much closer. "No! Ahhhhhh!"  Someone's hit, I know it.

Kenji took a position near the door, I can see him from under the table. He's now armed with a rifle. But then I see Satoshi and his crew in the corner. 

"Satoshi! My god..you guys get here! NOW!" 

RATATATATATA
BZZZ  BZZZZZ    

I now also hear Vahli or Kakross weapons fire. Close...really close.

Satoshi and crew ran to me and also took refuge underneath the table. I can see the camera's LED still blinking red..still live. But I don't have the time to worry about that now.

Kenji took a nearby table and simply shoved it in front of the entrance to create a hindrance, should they come in here. I see he's ready to fire.

Only now do I realize that I made a grave mistake. There are no guards inside the conference room, only in the reception area and outside. How could I have missed that! Nobody has noticed that! And none of us are armed, except for Kenji. All Vahli and Kakross guards are still near the entrance.

BAKA! Stupid Akari!!! Focus Akari...not now. Think!

My racing thoughts are interrupted by a primordial sound. "GRRRRR" 

I hear someTHING growling....what is that?

Then suddenly I see THREE Kakross warriors trying to enter the room.

"iiiiiiiiiiiii  grrrrrrrrrrr iiiiiiiii"  most of them are crying out in pain. Some are falling down...dead. The collective use of guns must have been enough to kill them! We're safe!

But then I see one who is still very much alive and aims his weapon at Kenji, who barely manages to use his rifle to kick the weapon out of its hand in self defense. 

"grrrrrrrr.......vermin!" It shouts at him. It then pushes Kenji away, sending him flying against a wall, thus preventing him from using his rifle. 

The Kakross intruder scans the room, while flying over the barricade. Shit...they have wings too. Its eyes are glowing bright red, and then spots the people who are still hiding underneath the table. My god...where are the other guards? They should already be here! Don't tell me...

Kenji quickly recovered his balance and quickly aimed at the intruder, wanting to fire, but I was directly behind the Kakross.....in the line of fire. I understand, but can't go anywhere else.

"DIE !!!!!" It screeches and runs directly towards me.

I crawl back but quickly feel that a wall is in my way....there's nowhere for me to hide. I feel like a cornered animal that's about to be shredded to pieces. I don't know what to do!

"Everyone, get OUT NOW" Kenji tried to evacuate everyone while the Kakross focused on me.

It then glances at Kenji and suddenly notices the Kakross Empress. He snorts and runs towards her, jumping over the table but missteps and crashes to the floor. 

The President kicks her shoes into the Kakross's stomach, but it doesn't even notice. It quickly shakes its head, dizzy from the fall, and stands up, lifting the President in the air by her neck, then throwing her aside.

Now it has an unobstructed path to the Kakross Empress, who now is also ready for a counter attack. Her teeth and strong mandibles ready for a fight.

Both the attacker and the Empress are hissing and growling at each other...a duel of epic proportions is about to happen.

I see Kenji ready to fire, but he can't...people are in his way. 

Noooo!!!!! I must stop it somehow...while it is still fully focused on her.

Then time seems to slow down. I noticed that only the attendants made it outside..everyone else is just frozen..in shock... by what's happening. I can suddenly feel pain everywhere on my body...but I'm not hit. Something's happening to me. 

Within seconds I feel like someone else is controlling my actions. From the corner of my vision I see my nails bleeding. My wings are buzzing and I fly at mach 2 towards the Kakross and taste iron...my teeth have extended. I land directly in front of it and feel something spraying through my teeth at the Kakross, making it screech in pain.

"iiiiiiiiiii!!!!!" It then turns around and quickly focuses on me.

Its eyes are glowing bright red, its teeth are open and may look like something from an Alien movie, complete with the gross, thick saliva dripping from its teeth. It growls again and is about to attack me. "Grrrrrrrr."

I feel my own saliva dripping from my teeth. Nothing else exists now...only it...and myself. We are both Aliens, growling at each other with open teeth. "Grrrrrrrrrr."

Kenji still can't fire....I'm in his way...again. 

I then use my claws to scratch its face, making it whine in pain. This gives me the opportunity to cling to its back with my claws.

"iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii" It howls from pain again. It trashes and wants to shake me off, but my body won't budge. It's set to kill.

Then I taste the incredibly disgusting taste of alien flesh. My teeth are locked on the creature's neck. It is screeching but still thrashing around. Then I feel liquid spraying between my teeth...injecting it in the neck.

"iiiiiiiii!" It was the most terrifying death scream I have ever heard, but my brain is not ready for these kinds of thoughts yet. I am completely on auto-pilot...Akari is not here at the moment.

I shake my head like a wild dog which tears away the flesh of its prey.

Then I'm thrown away hard....hitting the wall. I find myself lying on the floor, still dizzy from the impact. 

Then I hear loud footsteps, stomping on the floor. The Kakross...it's here...!

It then attacks my legs with its claws.

"AAAARRRRRRRR!!!!" My legs hurt!

The last thing I see are two rows of bleeding teeth approaching me....then the lights go out.

 

Next chapter: Chapter 26: Aftermath

3