📗 Chapter 22: Queens and Empresses
112 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A week has passed after our wedding day and Nivri still expresses his love for me everyday. I of course find plenty of opportunities to just kiss him, I mean only talking about love isn't enough after all.

But today's lovey dovey morning talk is interrupted with more stomach aches. Even though I have been visiting the doctor's office diligently every day, my tummy occasionally hurts. It just keeps expanding and expanding...larger and larger. I look at least 8 months pregnant by now! 

Maybe 15 kids is already more than enough, don't you think?  The doctor reassured me that 15 is the average for a "batch" size. Imagine how I would look with 30! I think I would just explode.

Nivri kept hinting on more...but I just want to see how this goes first. Again, 15...is quite a lot for a family. I wonder, will they also grow up in a matter of months? Creepy thoughts...

"Nivri, honey. I...I need your help. Get me to the doctor's."

"Eh...yes...Akari. But maybe you should ask for a nurse instead?"

I give him a death glare. Now is not the time, I'm in pain and I want to know if this is okay. The daily checkup is usually a bit later, but I don't care.

He wants to carry me, but I insist on walking there.

We arrive at the medical bay and another doctor is currently approaching me.

"My Queen....ooh......let me scan you. Please wait."

She runs off to a cabinet and takes a scanner. Why don't they just keep one closer? Sorry, I'm just in pain and feel quite agitated.

"Yes, as I already expected. My Queen....it is time. Do you want to lay your eggs here or in the nursery?"

What a stupid question! Just get them OUT OF ME!!!!!

I guess she noticed my death glare.  "Eh...alright here it is then. Please follow me to a more private location."

I followed her into another office or perhaps it's a changing room. The room is empty except for a chair. She takes some kind of blanket from a nearby cabinet and spreads it out on the floor.

Eh...am I supposed to sit on the floor? I'm not a dog, you know!

"Please, undress and sit down on the floor.  Oh, do you prefer another place, my Queen?"

"No no, just...please explain what to do." I took a deep breath...maybe she knows what's best for me after all.

"It's your first batch, yes I know. Please relax. I called for a few nurses, they will take the eggs and keep them safe. But first.....let's relax."  

She makes it sound so simple again.

"Eh, Nivri, sorry, but I would rather be here alone with the doctor now."

"I understand, Akari. I will be right outside if you need me."

"Yes, my love. I'll see you later."

He left us alone, but not before he quickly glanced at us near the entrance.

"Very good, now lie down and relax. This is not a painful matter..just relax and let your body do her task. She knows exactly how to do this. Just...relaaaaax."

I swear if she tells me to relax one more time, I'm going to shout!

"You are not relaxing, do you want a mild sedative?"

Mmmm...it hurts....would I like to feel better? Mmmmm...so...darn difficult.  "YES!"

She must have been prepared for this as she already has this pen-like thing in her hand. But unlike when my teeth had to extend for the first time, now I really felt a prick. And.....I feel more relaxed instantly.

"Very good my Queen, just relax...and....we have one already."

"Huh? I didn't feel a thing?"

"As it should be...and that's four."

"Are you kidding me?"

"Not at all.....no, keep lying down. You can see them in a moment. Relax....and seven."

"I can't believe this is happening."

"You are doing fine, and ten. Almost ready, my Queen."

...
...
...

"Very good my Queen, you are done. Fifteen and they all appear healthy. My congratulations."

"Eh...thank you, doc."

"How do you feel now?"

"Much better! But I still feel that stuff you injected me with."

"I know...it will stop working soon. Just remember to take it slowly today. Your body needs to replenish her energy properly. Oh, and I recommend you wait a few days before you again..."

"Yes doc! Understood!" I interrupted her.

She carefully took one egg in her hands. It's so small! How can anything grow from that?

"Ha ha ha, that expression.....don't worry, they will continue to grow in the nursery. They should hatch in a week or three."

Let's forgive her for laughing at her Queen for now.

"Amazing...just....amazing." I don't have any other words for this.

She puts another blanket around me to keep me warm.

"It sure is. Please wait here and rest. The nurses will now come and take them to safety."

My god, I really feel like a dog here, just lying on a blanket. Did these people really progress to invent the hyperdrive while still.....you know....like this?

I don't know what happened after that. I guess the sedative made me fall asleep. Only when I noticed that I was being bathed did I regain consciousness.

"Ah, Akari. Welcome back."

"Huh? Aine? What happened?" I looked around to see where I was.

"You were exhausted and that sedative the doctor gave you, made you fall asleep. So Nivri brought you here while wrapped in the blankets and I just gave you a bath. Not much time has passed, so you didn't miss much."

"I see. Thanks Aine. You really are the best."

"Awww....now get back in your alcove and rest for an hour or so. I will then feed you and I promise that you will feel much better soon."

"<yawn>  I won't argue with you now, Aine. Thanks."

 

After waking up again and getting dressed in my Queen's "uniform," Nivri, Aine and I visited the nursery.

"My Queen!" a nurse bowed to me.

"Please, just Akari. How are my little ones?"

"Akari, they are in perfect health. But...you can't see them right now. They are warm and comfortable right now, disturbing that process would be....unwise."

"Ah..that's a pity. But thank you."

"Anytime, my Queen."

"See, I told you so."  Aine said with a smug smile.

"Yeah...but can you blame me for wanting to see them?"

"No, it's good that a Queen cares for her offs......her young."

She knows I hate that word.

 

Then, out of nowhere a messenger appeared. Huh, I thought I had asked them to stop doing that silly running all over the ship?

"My Queen, the Empress wishes to speak to you. We have her transmission waiting for you in the throne room."

"Oh.....thank you."

And the messenger ran off again. I really need to talk to these people. Again.

Nivri, Aine and I walked to the throne room, which is, lucky for me, not very far away.

"My Queen!" The guards open the door and I just say "thanks" while walking quickly towards the view screen.

I bowed to the Empress on the screen. "My Empress, we apologize for having you wait for us."

"Our daughter....there is no need to apologize. We have heard you just contributed fifteen new lives to our Empire. We congratulate you on your first batch."

"Thank you my Empress. We still feel quite...sleepy from the experience." Oh god, stop it Akari. Not that royal speech. Not now.

"That is to be expected. We know that your next batch will be much easier. Look forward to it."

"Eh.....yes my Empress. But how can I serve you today?"  I desperately want to change topics.

"Alright, Akari. We will speak our mind. We want you to know that rogue Kakross Hives keep attacking our own....and one even attempted to attack Vahli Prime."

"Oh no...what.."

"Easy now, Akari...we want to remind you that it is unbecoming of a Queen to appear distressed."

"Eh...yes mother."

"Very good. Now let us continue. Each and every enemy Hive has been destroyed. But it annoys us to great lengths that the Kakross keep attacking us. We want you to discuss matters with their..former... Empress and settle the matter once and for all. Are those Kakross really rogue? We don't trust the matter. You at least seem to have a working relationship with her, and trust us...our alternative wouldn't be to your liking."

"Wh....huh? But the Empress can't help it? They don't listen to.."

"We know what she said. But we want you to find a way. We don't care how. You will return to Vahli Prime and our escorts will guide you to their homeworld."

"But, my Empress,....who will defend Earth from the Kakross?"

"We shall send the Huntress to Earth as your replacement. Miwa's Hive has been upgraded considerably."

"Oh? That's unexpected, but good news. So...when do we leave Earth? Do we wait for Miwa to arrive?"

"Of course you wait for your daughter's arrival. You see...she should arrive there within a few hours. We will gladly allow our Miwa the opportunity to see her mother again."

I bowed to her again. "We thank you for your kindness and shall do as you command."

"Excellent, Akari. We shall meet again. Empress...out."

Orders are orders, so I have to leave Earth behind for a while. 

I didn't have the time to contact my mom or Hitomi, but I managed to inform Kenji that another Hive will protect the Earth for a while.

After Miwa arrived, I visited her on the Huntress for a few hours. It seems that fate keeps pulling us apart. She arrives, and I have to go again.

I explained to her that her people shouldn't attempt to land on Earth without talking to Kenji first. The skies are probably filled with passenger aircraft again, like it was before the attack. 

After spending a few hours with Miwa, mostly hugging and catching up, I quickly visited the General and the Commander.
My people managed to duplicate the transponder system Earth aircraft use to identify themselves on radar. This was a topic I discussed with Commander Spinak, so they can implement the system as well. Perhaps they will need it, you never know.

Last stop onboard the Huntress was the nursery where Rasha gave me quite a few of her latest creations.....for my kids. Something I really appreciated. 

I promised all my friends on the Huntress to visit them properly soon, as it was now time for the Akagi to return home. Home to Vahli Prime.

After traveling in hyperspace for about a week, we arrived at Vahli Prime. A week I dedicated to my honeymoon with Nivri...taking things slowly for a while really was a welcome change of pace.

I have grown fond of this world, calling it my home away from home. But whatever people may say...I won't surrender my feelings of Earth. It will always remain my true home.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to visit the Empress, nor my unhatched children in the nursery for a while. Apparently the Empress wants me to board one of her latest state-of-the-art escort vessels. She wants the Akagi to remain in orbit of Vahli Prime, under the temporary command of Aine.

The Empress trusts Aine, so it was either her or some Queen I don't even know...so the choice was not difficult. Actually, I'm really relieved that Nivri, my children and the many workers onboard the Akagi are safe there. The escorts are mostly military vessels, with much less people onboard. 

The only person I can bring with me is Fuku, my AI-unit. She may be artificial, but I still count her as a friend. She will be transferred to the Imperial Vahli Escort Fortitude soon.

Kissing Nivri and promising to return quickly was all I could do in the time I had left.

Aine, the General, Commander and I said our goodbyes in the launch bay, where a transport picked me up to bring me to the Fortitude. 

Three other escorts will join the Fortitude and hopefully keep everyone safe. 

I was given a personal alcove and a temporary female attendant. There is no throne room onboard an escort, so we will simply use a meeting room next to the bridge as our command center for this mission.
The people onboard the Fortitude are experienced people, transferred here from other damaged or now obsolete escort craft. The sad part is that most of them have worked with Queens who demand a certain level of respect, but the good part is that they have plenty of experience.

Trust me, I tried to convince them that I wanted an informal working relationship, but they adamantly refused. So here I am...a Queen onboard the Fortitude....treated as an old-school Queen with all the respect and honor that title carries. And I hate it already! But I won't waste my time on changing their minds, the faster we work together, the faster I can return home to Nivri.

I'm now waiting in the meeting room for the ship's Commander to arrive. As there is usually no Queen aboard the ship, there is also no need for a General.

The escort has the same look and feel on the inside as a Hiveship, but there are differences. One of those is the lack of nurseries, as these ships are intended for military purposes only. Granted, they are usually close to a Hiveship, but in the end they are more like a last line of defense for a Hive, guarding it with their lives.  

And everything is just simpler. Less of everything. Only two medical bays for the entire ship. But on the other hand, these ships are all about firepower and defense. So many more resources are allocated to operating turrets and missiles. 

I was lost in thought when suddenly a loud male voice startled me. "Good morning, my Queen."

It took a moment for me to realize that nothing was wrong...this guy is just loud.

I stand up and greet him without bowing, because these people won't appreciate the gesture anyway. One day, I vow, I will fix this oversight, but not today. But I refuse to use royal speech, that's where I draw the line. But I will use the occasional reference they are accustomed to, so they are better able to understand me.

"Good morning. I'm Queen Akari."

"My name is Muta, I'm the Commander of the Fortitude. It is an honor to have a Queen onboard my ship."

"Well met, Commander. And likewise. It is a privilege to visit this fine escort under the care of an experienced Commander."

"Kind words, my Queen. May I start the pre-mission briefing?"

"By all means, Commander. Please sit down and proceed." I point to the chair next to me. It at least decreases the distance between us, both literally and figuratively. 

"Of course."  He says while taking the seat next to me.

The Commander pushes a few buttons and then I see a graphical overview of the region. Like a star chart, but also showing known ships in the region. We are still above Vahli Prime, so the region is at the moment one big, green blob of friendly indicators. 

"My Queen," the Commander continues, "we have successfully installed your Fuku onboard. It will have full access to the ship's systems and will respond to your commands."

"Excellent Commander. But please, let me be clear. I want your input and I want you to suggest alternatives if you feel that my tactics are inadequate given the situation. Can you do that?"

"Of course. As you wish." 

Good, I want his experience more than his loyalty.

"Fuku, are you there?" I say out loud, while looking at the screen. 

"Yes, Akari. I have full control of all four escorts."  Fuku says in a confident but also familiar voice.

"Very good, my friend. Are we ready to go? All supplies on board?"

"Negative. One escort is still waiting for pilots to arrive, estimating...five minutes remaining."

I nodded, I'm not sure if Fuku can see that. Maybe another time to test that.

"My Queen, there is one thing you should know that might be new to you."

"Oh? Please elaborate."

"This ship is the first escort to have a new beam weapon. While it has been installed, it is not suited for operational use. We were supposed to start weapon's testing today, but received new orders."

"I see. I won't be using it then. Fuku, keep those weapons offline."

"Understood. Vindicator was already offline and will remain offline." Fuku confirmed.

"Thanks. And Commander, what type of weapon is that? Vindicator....it sounds like something I proposed to the Empress not so long ago." 

"Exactly. She instructed Research to develop and install the test device in this escort. It's basically a large version of a standard interceptor's laser. It has a multitude of capacitors to charge and release all energy in a single burst."

He seems very pleased to have that weapon installed. Just a pity that it's still in its early testing stages. Not going to test that and blow us all to high heaven. Nope.

"Amazing. Well then, let's start this mission and you will be able to test that thing soon enough."

"Gladly, my Queen."

 

It's time for us to leave for a dangerous region of space...the Kakross's new home world.

"Akari, all escorts report ready for departure."

"Thanks, Fuku. Commander, have a team of 10 interceptors on hot standby. Just in case."

"Yes, my Queen." The Commander pushes a few buttons and the order has been given. I wish that my Commander on the Akagi was a bit more mature already. More like this one.

"Fuku, set course for the new Kakross home world, but drop out of hyperspace at the edge of their planetary system. Copy orders to the escorts."

"Course set. All escorts have confirmed the orders."

"Good. Fuku, order us to jump when ready."

"Jumping...now..."

I could see the stars outside of the window disappear and the familiar hyperspace colors can be seen. 

"Fuku, how long before we reach our coordinates?"

"2 hours, 7 minutes for arrival at the edge of their star system."

I took the time to eat and talk with the Commander. It seems that all escorts in our little fleet are the top-of-the-line models. But we are the only ones with that new, experimental weapon.

 

After traveling in hyperspace for about 2 hours, we finally arrived in Kakross space.

"Akari, we have exited hyperspace. We are now at a full stop. Requesting orders." Fuku said.

"Fuku, open a channel to the Kakross home world."

"Scanning....no signals detected. Attempting lower bands......successful. The channel is open."

"This is Queen Akari of the Imperial Vahli Escort Fortitude. We have peaceful intentions and wish to speak to your Empress Shilshi."

"This is the First Lieutenant of the Nakra Order, Nokzos. The Empress is currently unavailable. Come back another time." 

"Transmission is terminated." Fuku said.

I looked at the Commander, and he shook his head. Okay, so it wasn't only me who thought that it was a bit rude.

"Fuku, open the channel again."

"Unable to open the channel. They are jamming. Source of jamming signal...Kakross home world."

"Crap. Fuku, order the fleet to jump to their homeworld and raise shields. Start charging all conventional weapons and turrets. Prepare for combat."

"Done."

I could hear the alarms sounding in the nearby corridors.

"Fuku, as soon as we arrive, start charging the jump engines. If we are under attack, get all escorts out of there immediately."

"Understood, Akari."

"What are you expecting, Queen Akari?" The Commander asked.

"I'm expecting that the Empress doesn't know how incompetent her staff is, or she might have been...replaced...if you know what I mean. I just don't want to take any chances. So that's why I gave those orders."

The Commander nodded.

"Akari, approaching Kakross home world in 5....4....3....2...1....jump complete. Raising shields. Weapons ready. Charging jump engines now."

"Fuku, scan for signals from the planet and keep an eye on approaching Kakross hives."

"Copy. No transmissions. No Hives detected. Fleet reports shields up and at combat readiness."

"Good. Open the channel again."

"Unable to comply. Jamming signal still in effect."

"Okay. I can play that game. Fuku, scan for the signal's source."

"Scanning....found. A small structure in the southern hemisphere."

"On display."

"Showing now. Enhancing...zooming in. Confirming location....confirmed."

"Fuku, point one of our turrets to that location and fire a single burst, just to get their attention."

"Targeting....firing....complete.....jamming signal remaining."

"Ha ha ha....that's as expected. Now let's wait a bit."

"Incoming message...channel open...audio only."

"This is First Master Lekka of Kakross planetary defenses. Stand down immediately or be fired upon."

"First Master Lekka. This is Queen Akari of the Imperial Vahli Escort Fortitude. We have peaceful intentions but your jamming signal interrupted our communications. We wish to speak to Empress Shilshi."

"Understood. That should not have happened. But that doesn't change the fact that our Empress doesn't want to be disturbed."

Ahh...so he knew of the jamming signal! He KNEW that I wanted to speak to her.

"Tell your Empress that Queen Akari, who has pleaded for her life, wants to see her at her earliest convenience."

"No she doesn't.....OUCH!.....Useless! Now get out of our way!"

Okay...that's her! It's a pity that we have audio only.

"Queen Akari. Is that really you?" That is the voice of Empress Shilshi!

"Yes, Empress Shilshi. We have peaceful intentions, but your drones are incredibly annoying."

The Commander gave me a look like "how can you say something like that?" But he doesn't say a word. I only smile at him to reassure him.

"Ha ha ha...we recognize that temper anytime. Tell us...are you here to see if we comply with your demands?"

"No, Empress, not at all. We simply want to talk about the future of the Kakross. And also the many rogue Kakross who keep attacking us. Of course we can disable their ships in minutes, but our Empress grows tired of this. So she has sent me to find a way to move forward with peace."

"Interesting. How about you visit our Palace in person? Granted, our Palace isn't what we were used to, but it is the best we can offer."

"We would be honored to visit you, Empress. May we bring a few guards with us?"

"Would you think that a few guards make any difference? Ha ha ha...."

Oh boy...she's still a proud Empress.

"No, not at all. But my drones might prove to be useful."   I just called them drones, it might help the Empress understand better.

"Your...drones? There might still be hope for the Vahli race if you are capable of calling them what they are. We feel that you have changed, Queen Akari. We will allow you to approach us. And bring your...drones with you if it pleases you.  Did you hear that? Yes, you! Even that Vahli Queen thinks that you are annoying! Now be useful for a change and transmit our coordinates at once.  Ouch! Yes, my Empress!"

"Coordinates received." Fuku said.

"We have the coordinates. We will be there soon, Empress."

"We shall await your arrival."

The Commander will remain on the escort, but two guards are accompanying me to the planet.

We arrive at the coordinates and the first thing we notice is the stench. My god, this planet smells revolting. Disgusting, absolutely yuck! I can see that my guards feel the same way, but we have to be diplomatic.

"Stop! You will stand down and be inspected before approaching the Empress!" One huge Kakross guard shouts to me in a very disrespectful way.

"I don't think so...  We wait for the Empress herself to greet us. Do not provoke us again."

Then I hear a loud "BZZZZ" and see the guard fall down. He's dead....yeah...a hole in your stomach will do that. 

While my guards took their guns in their hands, I noticed the Empress approach us. I signaled the guards to stand down.

"We apologize yet again for the incompetence of our drones. We asked them to guide you in. Tschk! Annoying indeed!" She kicked the lifeless body to the side.

My god, she's cruel! 

"We welcome you to our...new....home world."  She said. Ouch...yes I know, we destroyed your original one.

"We thank you for allowing us to visit you, Empress." I bowed to show her the necessary respect. I better use royal speech for now.

She grins. "At least we finally have an intelligent conversation partner today. How blessed we are. Follow us."

We just followed the Empress closely and arrived at her throne room. 

Everything on this planet is dark. Even inside the palace, which currently isn't more than a converted Hiveship. The corridors are dark and smelly, just like the planet outside. Here and there smoke is released from vents in the wall. Disgusting!

She sits down on her throne and motions us to sit down close to her. At least the chairs have back rests here. We sit down on them like children do...we are small compared to the Kakross. But I swear...I will bathe all day to get this stench out of my hair.

"May we offer you our nectar?" The Empress asked.

"We must respectfully decline. Last time we drank nectar...things didn't go well for us."

"Ha ha ha....you truly are the first intelligent Vahli we came across. And funny too. Ha ha ha. But tell us...your appearance has changed. You now look more like the other Vahli we have seen. More like..them." She points at my guards.

I look at my guards, don't ask me why, I just did. "Yes, Empress, that is a long story. And we must apologize for showing our teeth."

"Yes, we were wondering about those. We thought you might still have hatred in your heart for us."

"No, Empress. Not at all. It is embarrassing for us to say....but.....we cannot yet speak without teeth."

"Huh....you...you..HA HA HA HA....so funny. We were right to trust you that day. You saved our life, and still remember our name. So speak. You mentioned the future of our people." She now speaks with a serious expression.

"Yes, Empress. We have encountered many rogue Kakross Hives and have destroyed many as well. My Empress is....annoyed with those. She demands....but let me be more diplomatic....she requests that you help us bring those Kakross back under your command."

"Mmmm....she demands, huh? Well said, Queen Akari. We like your attitude. You just play an open game...we shall return the favor. We cannot contact those because we cannot get into space."

"Is it that simple?" I asked.  So..in other words...she can help, but we have to ease the restrictions.

"It is." She nodded with a grin.

"Then...how about we would allow you to enter space again? And take the required action to bring those back...home...to their Empress?"

"Are you certain of this, Queen Akari?"

"We are. My Empress literally said we don't care how. So we feel we can openly discuss the matter with her Empress Shilshi."

She only smiles for a moment. Then she says "oh how we wished to have someone like you serve us. But alas. Excellent. What conditions shall apply?"

"Simple. We shall allow you to roam the galaxy again. But do not attack us or the planet under our protection. It has a permanent Vahli Hive guarding it."

"Oh hooo. A planet...under your protection? We are curious. May we know more?"

"Of course, Empress. We see no reason to play games of deception here. That planet is this Queen's original Hive. We were...hatched...there."   Just play ball Akari...play the game. Play it well.

"Interesting. Proceed...there is more..yes?"

"Of course. The planet is populated with a race called humans. There are billions and billions of them. Their technology has made significant progress lately. We see an opportunity for a potential unlimited source of energy there. That is why one of your rogue Hives has attacked that world recently. We saw no other choice than to eradicate them."

"We see. Please, proceed." 

Wow, she really doesn't care about her own people! 

"We were hoping that you could first solve the issue of the rogue Kakross, so we don't need to eradicate them anymore. That would please our Empress considerably. It is our proposal...and the Empress is not aware of this yet....that the planet might be beneficial for the Kakross as well."

"Oh hooooo!  You have our undivided attention. Especially when your own Empress isn't aware of these matters! Now tell us more!"

"Yes, Empress. It is our hope...that at some point in the far future....your people, our people, and the humans will form an alliance. An alliance of equals."

"Hmmm....we don't know how we feel about this. You would not subjugate us?"

"No. An alliance is by definition mutually beneficial. You would have your own Empire, but us three races would work together. Share resources...share science, technology, medical expertise...and....expand our races deep into the universe."

"Interesting. And you believe that energy source is beneficial to the Kakross as well?"

"Yes. When we left our ancestral Hive, we learned that a Kakross scout had landed there. Possibly attracted to a test in the planet's energy research facility. The energy can be described as atoms that have an opposite charge. Or at least that is what this Queen was able to understand. Both the potential for destruction and the potential for vast amounts of energy are enormous."

"Mmm...we believe that we already have this type of energy source. And so do the Vahli. What is so different about it?"

"Simple. The manufacturing process appears to be more efficient and cleaner for the environment. Huge amounts can be created with minimal use of energy."

"And...what if this energy is not up to our liking?"

"Then we can exchange materials, knowledge, culture, and build new Hives together. The sum of the whole is greater than the sum of the parts."

"It might be interesting. But even then. Your Empress and that other world...they don't even know about this, do they?"

"Ehehe....yes, Empress. That is our problem to solve, not that of Empress Shilshi. For now we need your help to get every Kakross back to where they belong....with you."

"Your flattering is appreciated. When will you speak with your Empress, so we may leave?"

"We shall leave at once. However, as already mentioned. You may send out your Hives at once. But kindly instruct them not to fire on us. Order them to keep talking to our vessels, or we may fire upon them. And that is exactly what we want to avoid."

"Tell us....we believe there is more....why the sudden need for diplomacy?"

"It is simple. We...the Queen standing before you....hatched from a Hive that was attacked by weapons of mass destruction twice. Many of our....drones...were lost in a great war. Our Hive has strived to find a peaceful solution above anything else ever since. This is what motivates us today."

"Interesting. Your drones suffered from weapons of mass destruction. And yet you even surpassed those who tried to wipe you out by destroying an entire planet. Our planet." The Empress points at me directly.

"True, and we find that fact absolutely revolting. It shall go down in our historical records as one of our darkest moments. We still have nightmares about this event."

"Tell us....why are you so different from other Vahli?  We are able to talk to you...but to the others...never before!"

"Empress Shilshi. Do you truly want to know? Know what we are?"

'We do."  She now looks very interested but also cautious.

"We will tell you what we were, what we are and what we want to be. We were one of the billions of beings who lived on the planet we spoke of. It was our home until we met the Vahli by accident. They embraced us and took us in as a friend. They had no other interests in us, none at all. But as time passed, just being around them, eating and drinking their food...made us look like them more and more."

I'm not going to tell her that I helped the Vahli by using my flight simulator tactics.

"That explains many things. You spoke about your past and present. But you have yet to speak about your future. What was it that you wanted to become?"

"It may sound unexpected, or perhaps even disrespectful to you, but that is not our intention. The goal of us, Queen Akari, is to become an equal. To find a way to peacefully coexist with the Kakross...as equals." I know it sounds cheesy, but I need her on my side.

"You....you truly are serious aren't you? That would take hundreds of years."

"Then let us two take the first step today. Show others what our combined power can achieve. No other race will tear us apart."

"Strong words. Wishful thinking. But perhaps...not completely impossible."

"We have considered your proposal. We shall immediately hunt down our non-conforming Hives and bring them back...home. We shall identify our vessels so you know they are ours. We shall agree on the alliance if it truly is an alliance of equals. Sharing means sharing, not withholding. If you can agree on those..then an alliance can start here. Today."

Wow, that's unexpected, but I'll take it.

"Empress, we have heard your words. We shall take them to our Empress."  

"Queen Akari....we thank you for respecting us. For not treating us as an inferior race, for that is how we have felt since our previous encounter. The Kakross shall honor their agreements, as we have done until now. We wish you well. And if your Empress is not ready for a joint future, like her predecessor,.....know that the Kakross are."

I bowed deep to her.

"Empress, we thank you. May you and your race thrive in peace."

"Until we meet again. Guards! Take them to their craft RESPECTFULLY this time."

"Yes, my Empress!" 

And so we arrived back home on Vahli Prime without having to fire a single shot. Well, firing on the source of the jamming signal doesn't count, does it?

I'm currently sitting in front of my Empress and one of her servants has brought us tea.

How civilized it is here. It seems only a moment ago when I discussed the future with another Empress, and here I am...drinking tea with my own Empress as if there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Completely peaceful. I have to be careful and not let the Kakross way of thinking get to me. She was cold to her people, but her words make sense. Maybe the Vahli can be a bit arrogant...certain of their own future. If the Kakross can be destroyed...so can the Vahli. Perhaps this alliance is exactly what they need. No, what we all need.

"Akari...you seem distant."

"Oh...sorry my Empress. We were thinking of our meeting with the Kakross Empress Shilshi."

"Yes, we thought as much. We must say that their stench is firmly attached to you."

"Their stench? Mother! This is exactly what..." I even bathed!

"I AM YOUR EMPRESS." She showed her teeth. Okay...touchy...aren't we?

I stand up and bow to her.

"You are our Empress. The Empress of all Vahli. Our loyalties lie with you as they always have and always shall."  Just play along, Akari....just do it.

"Sit down." She said coldly. "We should not have said this. We do not question your loyalties."

I sit down and drink my tea as if nothing had happened. I just wait for her to talk, looking at my teacup all the time. 

"Akari...please look at us. We know what you wanted to say....and that disturbed us."

"My Empress. May we speak our mind?"

"If you must."

"The Kakross are willing to change. We feel that their Empress is serious about this. They want the best for their race. We would never be so disrespectful as to compare you to her, but you both share that same desire."

"True. Continue."

"She will immediately send out her Hiveships into the galaxy and bring back any rogues. Any Hive under her control shall contact us when we are near one. We have seen her resolve, my Empress. She is relentless. She killed a guard on sight, simply for being disrespectful to us."

"That proves my point about them."

"And it also proves mine."

"In what way, Akari?"

"She WILL get those Hives back. Even if it means blowing them up. And we are happy not to have to kill any more Kakross or send our own workers to fight for us."

"Akari...you have grown mature. What else have you achieved?"

I couldn't suppress a smile. "We have made a proposal with her. A proposal that she has already agreed on. She understands that the proposal is only valid when you, my Empress, and the people on Earth validate it."

"We do not like where this is going. Proceed."

"We have proposed a non-attack alliance where all share knowledge, culture, energy, medicine and whatever else is possible with each other as equals."

"Surely you jest. Equals? We begin questioning your loyalties. Did she harm you? Force you into this?"

"No, my Empress. This requires trust. And if it means that you kill me for wanting peace....then so be it. Just let my children live on."

"By the Celestial Empress, Akari! How could you even propose this? An alliance? With the Kakross? They wiped a billion of us out without even a second thought."

"Yes, and we killed billions of them, and took away their planet too."

I didn't speak for at least five minutes. Neither did the Empress.

It was time to refill the tea, but the servant understood the Empress's death glare and returned without saying a word. But I'm determined. I won't speak until she does.

Why is she so against this? Who can you really trust? Nobody. But you have to start somewhere.

"You are quiet." The Empress finally said.

I have been staring at my shoes the whole time.

"Yes, my Empress. Both of us have been."

"Akari." 

I look into her eyes. Those are the eyes of a mother, not an Empress. Is she coming around?

"Akari. We see your point. Do you see our point?"

"We do, Empress. Do you trust us?"

"We do, yes. But we don't trust the Kakross."

"Then don't."

"Huh? We don't understand?"

"Trust is something earned. Don't trust the Kakross at all. First, see if their Hives stop attacking us. See if the ones under her control indeed talk to us. And if not...blow them to pieces with our new beam weapons."

"So you have heard about those already. It was your idea."

I decided not to speak. I don't want to change the topic to something I like. She knows I like to talk about those...but not now dammit!

"Akari."

I look at her again.

"We shall do as you propose. We will see how things go. And then plan our next move. We will keep the alliance option open. Go back to Earth tomorrow. If you can convince them.....you will have convinced me."

Really? Are you afraid to say "yes" or "no?" And let another planet decide for you? Are you really the same Empress? 

"We see in your eyes that you do not approve."

"My Empress. With all the respect I can show you, I ask you humbly: allow it or reject it. But do not let another planet decide the fate of the Vahli."

"And you....you are not the Akari we know. We have seen that look before. Our guards who barely escaped from the Kakross...having stared death in its eyes and walked away alive. Emotionless. Filled with hatred. Akari. It is the same look we saw this morning when we looked into our own mirror. Yes, perhaps now is the time to give them a chance. But we shall remain vigilant."

"My Empress." I feel a tear forming and falling down. "I hate war. I hate conflict. I hate negotiations. I hate talking and talking and talking. I just want to be friends. Be with you, my husband, my children, Miwa, my mom and Hitomi. And maybe even her husband. But I don't understand this anymore. Why do beings always want to hurt each other?" I now start to cry, tears keep falling and falling.

The Empress stands up and pulls me to my feet, then embraces me.
"Whether you realize it or not....you are still our child. You have seen many things...things you were not ready for. And still....we treat you as one of our many workers. Can you forgive us? Can you call us mother again?" 

I didn't reply for a while. And she just let me cry for a few minutes, until I could pull myself back together again. 

"Yes..mmmm....mother...Of course I forgive you. I am so sorry for upsetting you. <sniff> I just want..."  I stopped the royal speech, because I hate that too!

"We know. We understand. Be calm, Akari. We also want the best for our family. But as you already learned....that is sometimes difficult. But while we say "yes" to this alliance, we will not trust the Kakross until many generations into the future."

"Yes, mother. I understand. I know the pain. What they did... What we did. Change takes time. One step is enough for our generation."

"Akari. We agree on that. Thank you for seeing our point. Now tell us. A long time ago, back on the Huntress, we promised to get you home. But you still serve us until this very day. If you want...."

I break the embrace and look at her. "No, mother! I don't want to leave! The Hive is my...family. So are you. I don't want to give that up. Not now, not ever!"

"Then it is decided. You will return to Earth. Talk about that alliance. And come back to us whenever you have the opportunity. And in the meantime...talk to us. It would be a waste not to use the relays you suggested."

"Thanks, mom. Thank you." I embraced her. And I think I even saw a tear in her eyes as well.

"We just had to resist the urge to feed you....but we both know how you feel about that." She grinned again.

"Eh...yes...thank you. I think I got used to it by now, but thanks."

Me and my big mouth...she continued to make me feel guilty until I had to cave in. She finally fed me alright. And the worst thing? It felt completely natural, even relaxing now. I have three moms now, the Empress, Aine and my real mom. Another thing I never ever imagined two years ago.

I wonder, does the Kakross Empress feed her...offspring? Brrrr.....quickly...other thoughts!

Just when I said my goodbyes and wanted to leave her lounge, I heard her say "we forgot to congratulate you in person on your first batch. We want more!"

Lucky for her she didn't see me roll my eyes, but she laughed alright. REALLY loud. But it's okay. Better to laugh than to have a fight with her and her gruesome teeth.

 

Next chapter: Chapter 23: Opening negotiations

3