Chapter 1 – Marriage proposal (1)
11.4k 4 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the main hall of Hua Family’s Mansion, fragrant scented smoke slowly twirled from the incense burner with a beast carving*.  The simple furnishings in the hall only consisted of a jade screen, two vases painted by a famous artist with half the height of a man, a set of fine quality table and chairs, and window grilles made from sandalwood.  The décor and furnishings of the hall presented a very stylish appearance.  A woman with an extraordinary imposing manner is sitting in the main hall wearing a veil that covered half of her face.  She is clad in a set of willow green silk clothes without any jewelry except for a jade hairpin.  The woman is – Hua Ming Zi.

(Incense burners with beast carvings look something like this.  These burners come in different patterns, sizes and carvings of beasts.)

Image result for ancient incense burner

‘What did you say?!”

Suddenly, under her veil, Hua Ming Zi’s apricot shaped eyes glared at the fearful face of the Matchmaker sitting on the seat below her main seat, who was trying her best to maintain her smile.

(The main seat is actually a specified seat for the Master of a Household.  Usually, this big, beautifully carved seat is placed in the main hall, in a prestigious and prominent position or on a platform to portray the important position of the Master.)

“Don’t be angry first.  In my opinion, both you and Ying Yan Long are Family Heads and also the Dragon, and Phoenix among the people.  Because of this, both of you are not suitable to marry each other.  It is said that a mountain can’t accommodate two tigers.  So, if there are two people who are decision-makers in a family, every day there will be quarrels.  How will there be any peace in the family?”  A string of words gushed from Matchmaker Liu’s mouth but she did not even dare to look at Hua Ming Zi.

“I don’t care whether he is a dragon or a tiger!  Who gave him the right to criticize me?!”  The palms of her hands gripped the rosewood armrests tightly. 

“Hua Dangjia........Ying Dangjia did not criticize you......”

“He did not criticize me?”  Hua Ming Zi lifted her eyebrows and sneered.  “Then the message he told you to pass on to me.......

~ Marrying a wife, marrying virtue,

~ Not seeking strong ability to rule the family,

~ As long as there is an understanding to stay home and obey the Father

~ Once married into the family, obey the Husband........

So, do you think those words ‘Marrying into the Family, obeying the Husband’ are words of praises for me?”

Anger showed on Hua Ming Zi’s beautiful face and suddenly she shot up from her chair causing a bunch of keys that were hanging on her waist to emit loud jingling sounds of metal knocking against each other.

“Hua Dangjia.......”

“Obey Father, obey Husband, obey my fart!”  Hua Ming Zi’s sparkling eyes shone brightly with anger and she waved her snow-white soft hands in the air.

Matchmaker Liu was aware she was ten steps away from Hua Dangjia, but she still could not help but move back. 

This Hua Dangjia is someone who can make a table collapse with just one hand!

“If I were to obey my Father at home, do you think today the Hua Ji Restaurants would have such a flourishing business?!” 

Thus, Hua Ming Zi made a decision in her heart.  Although she had never seen Ying Yan Long, if she has the opportunity to see him in future, she will give him sharp stares every time she sees him.

In actual fact, she did not feel angry because her marriage proposal was rejected.  After all, proposing marriage to Ying Yan Long was only to pacify her Father and it was something she had to do to set her Father’s mind at rest.  Anyway, for so many years, she had bravely entered the business arena and had always been banging on tables to seek justice......can the skin on her face be any thinner?  Not to mention, she had already anticipated Ying Yan Long’s rejection. 

She felt angry only for one reason. 

Why is it just because she is a woman, she has to observe the rules of ‘Three Obedience, Four Virtues*’? !  

 (Three Obedience, Four Virtues are the Confucian moral teachings for women.  Obedience to three men – Father, Husband, and Son.  Four Virtues is to have morality, physical charm, propriety in speech and efficiency in needlework.)

Are only the men so awesome?  Men and women are the same and they are all people!  If a person is to be judged by his achievement or ability to earn silver*, then her achievements in this life can be said to be much more outstanding than any ordinary man!

(Silver and gold were used as money during ancient times.  Silver was commonly used as it was of lower value and little nuggets of silver were easier to be exchanged among the common people. Other than silver, the common people would also use coins with a square hole in the center that was of lower value to trade and the coins were made from a mix of bronze, brass, and iron.)

“Hateful ! !”  The more Hua Ming Zi thought, the angrier she became.  She stomped her feet and her body swayed.

Matchmaker Liu’s round body trembled.  She tried her best to maintain the smile on her face and said.  “Hua Dangjia......don't be so angry......look further in the capital city.  Although Ying Dangjia is one of the best candidates......”

“If he is counted as one of the best, then what am I?  One of the worst? !”  Hua Ming Zi felt very angry and gave a loud scream.  “If he doesn’t want to take me for a wife, does that mean I won’t be able to marry? ! !”

 “Look at you, what are you talking about?  Hua Dangjia is intelligent and capable.  Your appearance is very beautiful, your figure is very beautiful and you are the best.  It is definitely what the men in the city look for in a wife.”  Matchmaker Liu said in a trembling voice.

“You don’t have to talk as though I am a courtesan of a brothel.  This old......”  Han Ming Zi took a deep breath and swallowed back the word ‘Mother’ that she was about to say.  “I don’t rely on my appearance and I don’t rely on my figure.  Even if I don’t get married, it’s alright for me.  I’m wearing a veil and if you are still able to judge my appearance as the best, then you are talking nonsense.”

Aiya......that time when Old Master Hua and Old Madam Hua married, everyone said that with Old Master Hua’s handsome features and Old Madam Hua’s exquisite beauty, their child would definitely inherit their features.  If the child is unable to cause the ‘downfall of a country or ruin a city’ then it will definitely be ‘hiding the moon, shaming the flowers’.”  Matchmaker Liu looked hard at Hua Dangjia’s face under the veil.  She caught a vague glimpse of her face and said confidently.

(Downfall of a country and ruin a city means a woman of devastating beauty.)

(Hiding the moon, shaming the flowers means a woman of heavenly beauty.)

In fact, what Matchmaker Liu did not mention is that since Hua Family has so many restaurants and their business is flourishing, even if Hua Ming Zi is cross-eyed and has a crooked nose, there will still be men who are willing to marry her.

“Can beauty be consumed as food?!   It only brings trouble.”  Hua Ming Zi folded her arms across her chest and glanced down briefly at the veil in front of her which was a hindrance.

“When you say words like this, who are you cursing?!”  Matchmaker Liu waved the red handkerchief in her hand and her voice sharpened involuntarily.  “If someone with your characteristics doesn’t get married, don’t say God can’t bear to see this, even I won’t be able to bear it.”

“Ying Dangjia has his own considerations, so you should not give up because of this setback.  After all, a male of age must marry and a female of age......”

“A female of age should be the Head of a Family!”

Hua Ming Zi sat back in the main seat, picked up the cup of Da Hong Pao Tea and tilted her head back to drink half a cup.

In the capital city of Dongyan, the females outnumbered the males and it is usual for two women to be married to a man.  Therefore, a woman proposing to a man has long become a special feature in this place.  For this reason, even if the rich Ying Yan Long had once been married, he could still pick and choose.  It is rumored that Ying Yang Long has a majestic figure with a calm and prestigious appearance.  Although he is not as handsome as his younger brother, he has a more powerful aura  It was heard that several women had approached him with proposals of marriage but all were rejected.

Just that, why does she have to listen to her Father’s instructions and do the same thing as other women had done?  She is obviously not any ordinary woman.......she is Hua Dangjia, Hua Ming Zi!

“Hua Dangjia, I have a lot of first-grade candidates in hand.  Do you want to consider and take a look again......”  Matchmaker Liu asked cautiously.

“Forget it!  Those so-called first-grade candidates.......aren’t they in the same grade as Ying Yan Long?”  Hua Ming Zi put down the eggshell-thin porcelain teacup in her hand and looked fixedly at Matchmaker Liu.

“In the city, good men are aplenty.  You must live up to your Father’s expectation and not let him down.  The Hua Family is hoping for you to grow branches and sprout leaves*”.  Matchmaker Liu was actually afraid of not receiving her big fat red envelope* from the Hua Family.

(Grow branches, sprout leaves means to start a family and have children to carry on the family’s name.)

(Red envelope here means silver or money given to the matchmaker in appreciation of successful matchmaking.  If the family is rich, of course, the amount in the red envelope will be more.)

“If this was not done for my Father, why would I be in a hurry to marry?”  Hua Ming Zi said.

“You......”

“I have not finished speaking yet!” 

Hua Ming Zi gave two knocks on the tabletop to show her annoyance which made the other woman keep quiet. 

“I will choose my own marriage partner.  Immediately go and look for a few men who have good character and are filial.  I want to recruit a husband*!  If I can’t recruit one, I will buy one!”

(Recruit a Husband or Son-in-Law - In the olden days, if there are only daughters and no sons in a wealthy Family, the Head of the Family will engage the services of a Matchmaker to recruit a son-in-law to ensure that the Family’s name will continue.  When the recruited Son-in-law marries into the Family, just like a woman marrying into the husband’s Family, he will have to give up his own surname.  He will then take the surname of his wife and all the children from the marriage will take the surname of the mother.  As the ‘Son’ of the Family, he has to bear all the duties, responsibilities and obligations of a normal Son.)

As long as she, Hua Ming Zi, wants to do something, she will definitely be able to achieve it!

The moment Matchmaker Liu heard this, her eyes lit up!   With this idea of Hua Dangjia, she will surely make silver......and this is surely an opportunity for her to make more silver!  Later, even if this Hua Dangjia wants three obedient husbands, she will also be able to make recommendations.

“That’s right!  That’s right!  If the mountain doesn’t move, then the road should turn.  You will definitely be able to find the most suitable husband for yourself.  I am an expert in matchmaking and it is right that you let me handle this matter!   Let me know whether you want them tall, short, fat or thin and I will bring them all to stand in front of you!......”  Matchmaker Liu patted her chest and gave a guarantee.

“You had also patted your chest and gave me a guarantee the last time.  You told me that with my appearance and my family background, Ying Yan Long will be so happy that he will do 18 somersaults and come rushing to my residence to propose marriage.  The result?”  Hua Ming Zi sneered.

“In the end, it was because he did not have the blessings.  A beauty like you......”

“Enough!  Even if I am extremely beautiful, my will to rule my family is still strong.  At home, I will not obey my Father and after marriage, nor will I obey my Husband.  So you should scrap your words of flattery.  Now my Father’s wish is for me to have a family and children, so you should assume you are doing this for merits and help me accomplish this.  After successful completion, you will be duly rewarded.”

“I will accomplish this for you!  Otherwise, I will tell others I don’t have any business and quit!”  Matchmaker Liu replied in a loud voice.

“I don’t believe in verbal promises.  If you are really serious, then you should write it down in black and white.”  Han Ming Zi folded her arms across her chest and looked indifferently at Matchmaker Liu whose bright red lips quivered a few times.

“You can rest assured that this old woman will concentrate totally on finding a husband for you and do my best for you.”  Matchmaker Liu grinned and deftly changed the topic of conversation.

Hua Ming Zi sneered because she actually did not take Matchmaker Liu’s words seriously.  It is only because the woman has good abilities, good skills and is really able to find good candidates, so she decided to continue with the woman’s services.

“Steward Wu, send off the guest!”  Hua Ming Zi called out and then walked into the inner hall without a backward glance.

“Thank you, Matchmaker Liu for making this trip.”  Steward Wu wearing a blue robe walked out from behind a curtain at the side of the hall.  With both hands, he held up a bag.  “This is a small token of appreciation for your traveling expenses and the effort you made.”

“Aiya......aiya......”  Matchmaker Liu took over the bag and because of the heavy bag in her hands, she smiled until her eyes turned into small beans.

“I’m greedy, I’m greedy.”

(When Matchmaker Liu said ‘I’m greedy’ it is her way of saying ‘Thank you’ with a feeling of embarrassment since she was not successful in her matchmaking attempt with YYL but she also did not want to refuse the silver given to her. So she could only lower herself when she accepted the silver.)

“Matchmaker Liu, this way please.”  Steward Wu said as he led the way out of the hall. 

“Hua Dangjia is noble and imposing!  Is Hua Dangjia normally so efficient when she manages her home?”  Matchmaker Liu asked the smiling middle-aged Steward. 

“Hua Dangjia is competent and clever.  Everyone admires her.”

“Is this Mansion, is Hua Dangjia really the Master who decides on all matters?  I see that Hua Mansion is so big, there should be at least forty to fifty servants........”

Steward Wu did not make any attempt to reply and only quickened his footsteps leading Matchmaker Liu out of the Mansion.

When she walked passed the servants, they looked at her but no one spoke or asked her any questions.  The servants had all along worked hard together with Hua Dangjia and therefore, they would never gossip to outsiders. Everyone hoped that Hua Dangjia can get married and have children but they were also afraid that she will marry a husband who does not know how to cherish their talented and kind Dangjia.  If that is the case, then it will be better for her if she does not marry at all. 

16