Chapter 4: Learning
122 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

From what I'm reading, the exchange rate of Potch (This world currency) and USD are 10:1. Ten potch is one USD.

I sell all the loot I got from the monster I killed for sixty thousand and seven hundred Potch or six thousand and seventy dollars. One night stay in one of the inns is a thousand and three hundred Potch, and that includes food (Breakfast and Dinner). So I guess I get a lot of money that can last me for a few months if I use it correctly.

For today's activity, I need to get some armor and weapons other than my knife. While I can rely on my magic, I want some just-in-case weapons I can use when I'm cornered. While I have an inventory, I can only access it when I have my phone in hand.

I cannot use it like some sort of Game Character.

I need that weapon ready at any time.

As for armor… Well, it was armor. While my body is tougher than a human's body after becoming an Outsider, armor is something I still need.

I get out of my room and walk toward the desk where the inn's owner is cleaning some glass.

"Oh! James! How is your night?"

"I sleep like a log, David. How are you?"

"Like usual. Do you want your food? It just finished cooking."

"Sure."

I see David walk to the stove and put some sort of stew inside a bowl, put flavored rice on a plate, and bread from the basket near him. He put them all in front of me and said,

"For today's breakfast, we have a boar's stew with some vegetables and fruits, cooked rice marinated in a secret sauce overnight, and bread. I hope you enjoy it."

"Thank you."

"What do you want for your drink? Beer?"

"Beer in the morning?"

"What? It was a usual drink for us. Especially with this weather."

"No, thank you. I will take any juice you have or maybe tea."

"Well we have apple juice and orange juice if you want. We also have some tea."

"I will take tea."

"Very well."

I took a bite of the rice, and it was delicious. I don't know what kind of sauce it uses, but it makes the rice taste good. My Faerie Feast tells me how to improve it, but I ignore it for now. I don't want to be seen as a food critic.

I ate the stew, and it tasted as good as the rice. The meat is a little bit tough, but all boar meat is tougher than your regular pork. As for the bread, well, it was bread. Not as fluffy as the one on Earth but good enough to be used as a sponge for my stew.

After eating all the food and drinking my tea, I looked at David and said.

"David, do you know where I can get armor or weapons? A short sword will be good."

"Armor and weapon? Well, there is a blacksmith in this village. Just go left after you walk out of this building. The smithy is the third building from here. As for your armor, sadly, the man who usually makes armor goes to the capital to search for a bigger profit."

"Well, I guess you cannot win all the time. Anyway, thank you for the food. It was delicious."

"No problem, lad! Have a good day and say hi to Hana for me."

Hana? Does that mean the blacksmith is a woman?

I shake my head and walk to the smithy David told me about and walk inside it. I can see a young woman sharpening a sword when I walk inside.

"Hold up a second."

I nod my head and wait for her to finish. She has a beautiful face if you take all the dust away from her face. She has brown and long hair. Her eyes are a beautiful green, and she has a killer body that many women will envy.

After waiting for a few seconds, she finished and looked at me with a smile.

"Well! I never thought that mister hero would appear inside my shop! What can I do for ya?!"

"Call me James and I need a short sword or something small enough for me to carry."

"Aren't you a magician?"

"Yes. However, having a weapon on my side is a good investment."

"Hahahahaha! You are really interesting! This is the first time I hear of a magician who wants to carry a weapon. They usually go to the Magic Shop and buy a scroll or staff for them to carry."

"Well, I'm not your usual magician."

She smiles at me and nods her head.

"That you are. The name is Hana and I have a few ideas for your weapon."

"David say hello, by the way."

"Hah! That old bastard sent you here, huh? Then I cannot disappoint him. Wait here."

After a few seconds, she came back with a sword in her hand. The sword is beautiful. It was around fifty centimeters in length and only a few centimeters in width. The blade has a silver color that shines under the light. I can see a blue crystal in the middle of the shoulder of the sword.

"This is a short sword my father made before he passed away. The blade is made of a special metal from a Metal Golem. As for the blue crystal, that is coming from the loot from an Ice Fox. While this sword did not have the same durability as the other high-end sword, it has one special ability."

"A magic conductor."

"That's right."

I can feel it. The magic in the air runs past the sword as if nothing is between them. The other sword in this area cannot absorb and release the magic in the air. They are like plastic to water. They will not let the magic pass them.

This sword is different. It can absorb the magic in the air and let them pass easily.

"My father thought that this sword would attract a new kind of customer but he was wrong. All the magicians laugh at his offer when he talks to them."

"Because they thought that their staff and magic were good enough."

"Yup. So, are you interested in buying this? Twenty thousand Potch and it is all yours."

I look at her for a few seconds before saying.

"Sharpen it and give me a sheath for the sword."

"Deal."

It takes her a few minutes to search for the right sheath for my sword and sharpen my sword.

"Here you go."

"Thank you."

"Nah. No problem, James! It is good to have you as my customer! You are a hero after all!"

"Thank you, nonetheless."

After saying goodbye, I walk out of the village and go to the clearing part of the forest a few hundred meters from the village.

When I get to the middle of the field, I take a deep breath and feel the mana around me and the energy inside of me. They are very different in both 'texture' and power. The energy inside of me is like mud. It is thick and hard to move. However, while it is hard to move, it can create something very destructive once it moves.

The mana around, on the other hand, is like water. It is easy to move and control but weaker in firepower.

I move my hand and control the energy inside of me. I can see purple smoke appear from my hand. I command it to move, and it starts to dance around my hand. While I don't know how this world's magic works, I decided to use the logic behind the magic in many fantasy books.

Imagination and will.

I create an image of a ball of fire appearing in my hand and give a strong command to the purple energy to do it. I can see the purple energy around my hand start to condense and create a purple fire.

I toss it to the sky and see it fly away from me before exploding in the air.

Changing the property of the magic is easy. How about changing the property of the magic? Can I make a fire that burns and freezes at the same time? The fire that freezes you and burns you while you are freezing.

Let's try it. I take a deep breath and imagine a flame that freezes my enemy and burns them simultaneously. I can feel a lot of my energy get sucked by the spell, and after a few seconds, the purple flame changes into a blue flame.

I release it and fire it at the tree near me. When the flame hit the tree, it was covered in ice. However, inside the ice, the tree starts to turn into ashes.

That is interesting. Can I reduce my energy consumption? Does a magic circle help? Or maybe a chant? I need to get myself this world magic book.

However, it can wait. For now, I need to train my magic control.

7