0. THE BOY AND HIS GRANDPARENTS
222 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Caramelen Street Estate. One of the nicer parts of Capital County. With happy couples taking walks and even happier children playing together, you would be forgiven for assuming this was anything but a Renyland neighbourhood. 

One of these kids, a young boy no older than ten, stares up at the bright blue skyline above him as he heads down the street. From the way the boy skips, you would think he was on a frolic through fields of flowers. He skips past many of his neighbours who go about their suburban duties. Parents help their children ride bikes, crossing guards help old women cross the streets and the older kids play football together.

"What a lovely day!" the young boy thinks to himself. 

And lovely the day is. The only eyesore to be seen is a group of workers who put up a large billboard on the next street over. It advertises a health product -

 ‘Revitalise the body. Engage your inner youth’

It is clear the billboard clashes with the rest of the general area. The boy shrugs, enjoying the sight of it anyway. He continues to skip down the street, only stopping when he arrives at  his house. 

The boy enters his lovely suburban home. It's a large and spacious living space with lots for a little boy to do, but he doesn't care. He runs straight through the house and into the backyard. He has people to see. 

Waiting for him on the finely trimmed grass of the backyard are his grandparents who lay on lawn chairs, sunglasses on and basking in the light of the day. 

"Hello Gran! Hello Gramp!" greets the boy. The elderly couple turn to see their grandson waving at them ,beaming smiles on both faces. 

"Hello sweetie!" says Grandma, returning his wave. "You had a good day?"

"The best!" the boy emphasises. His grandparents respond with hearty laughter. One of those laughs you feel straight from the chest. Grandpa, though,laughs too hard. The laugh brings on a cough and the cough brings on a coughing fit. 

"Oh dear." worries Grandma. 

"I'm alright, I'm alright." insists Grandpa. Grandma shakes her head, she doesn't believe him. She gestures at her grandson. 

"Get Grandpa a glass of water, would you?"

"Okay." says the boy, nodding with purpose. He  rushes back into the house. He heads straight to the kitchen and from the counter he picks the tallest, cleanest glass he can find. He fills the glass with water and rushes back. 

The boy runs out onto the yard, glass held tightly in his hand, excited to be of service to his grandfather. But he will soon find out that he will not be able to. 

The boy returns to see both of his grandparents, dead on their lawn chairs. The elderly couple lay mouth agape and stone cold with blood pooling within their eyes. 

The boy is shocked. He stands still, frozen even. His face harbours no expression but his hand starts to shake. The glass smashes down onto his foot,  but he does not react to this either. All he can do is stare at the blood filled eyes of his grandma. You can practically hear his heart break in two. 

The boy looks to the sky again, but it is no longer a clear blue. A yellow mist slowly passes through the air. 

5