XII. AROUND THE LAND
80 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"For fucks sake." Declan sighs as he walks through the tunnel of tents that lead to Dubois' main base. He had been making good progress in tracking Khalil using Cameron’s information and was planning on executing soon. The excitement within him was all but bursting out. Just the thought of slitting Khalil’s throat made his mouth water. The thought of snuffing out the light in his eye made him more excited than he would to let on. It was to the point where he had to adjust his trousers a few times whilst on his tracking journey. But just as he was halfway through following Khalil’s trail he was intercepted by another troop of Dubois' men. Then all of a sudden he was in the back of a van and being dragged back to the base. And now he’s going to have a "meeting" with him. 

Declan groans as he walks down the secluded leather tunnell in the main tent. Ever since Dubois had recruited him, he had been getting into trouble. Dubois did not like the way Declan operated when it came to patrolling the land, that was no secret. But for the life of him he could not figure out what he did wrong this time. He dreaded finding out. 

Declan opens the door to Dubois' main office. Upon entering he is faced with a makeshift miniature modern warfare camp within a teepee, fit with a table filled with weapons, blades, schematics and plans. Behind the table sat Dubois, with two of his biggest bodyguards standing next to him, one being over seven foot tall, his head barely able to duck underneath the tent roof. Both give him the evilest of looks. Dubois is also giving him a look, but more of a cold one. Declan never knew what any of Dubois' looks meant though. He sighs as he stands in front of Dubois, ready to commence the dreaded "meeting".

"Morning Declan." says Dubois

"Morning Dubois." Declan says, clearing his throat. He tries his damndest to appear just as intimidating in Dubois' presence but it does not work. Dubois is simply on another level of menace to him, though he hated to think about it. 

"Do you know why we're having this meeting Declan."

"No idea."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah I have no idea."

"Are you sure?" Dubois asks again with more emphasis. He tilts his head downwards, giving his icy blue eyes a look of more menace. Declan sighs out of his nose, adjusting his posture. He feels compelled to say something, but does not want to just yet. Declan had never been one to pick his words carefully, but working with Dubois forced him to learn that skill. Dubois sighs. He gets up from his seat and leans over the table, slightly scaring Declan into putting his guard up. 

"You came to me when you wanted this job Declan didn't you?"

"Yes..."

"So it could be said that I'm the one doing you a favour right? That's the nature of the power structure in our relationship, isn't it?"

"Yeah, sure..."

"So as the person on the weaker end of the power structure, it would be in your best interest to please me and do as I say, right?"

"What are you talking about?" asks Declan with slight exasperation. Dubois laughs. Declan chuckles along with him awkwardly, nodding his head. He knew Dubois had to be pulling his leg. Or so he thought. After their brief laugh together, Dubois' deadpan stare returns and morphs into an even colder one than before. And just like that Declan feels uncomfortable again. 

"When I gave you commands to patrol the land, didn't I specifically tell you not to target certain groups?" Dubois reminds him. 

"You did." answers Declan. 

"And why aren't you?"

"What do you mean?"

"You know exactly what I mean, don't play coy with me Declan." spits Dubois. Declan's mouth frowns downwards as he shakes his head. He knew exactly what Dubois was referring to but he did not want to admit it. Only issue was that Dubois knew that he knew. 

"Stop chasing Khalil’s fucking group." Dubois orders plain and simple. 

"Sorry what?" 

"Don't fucking 'sorry what' me Declan." Dubois says with venom. "I know about your history with Khalil, I know you're planning on killing him against my orders and making it look like an accident and I’m commanding you not to.”

Declan’s patience starts to wear thin. The band aid ripping off the anger he has at Khalil

overpowers the apprehension he feels in the presence of Dubois. Now he is irritated and not afraid to show it.

"And why the fuck not?" Declan demands. 

"Because!" Dubois shouts back at him. "Keeping that group alive is a very important part of my plans moving forward."

"What?" asks Declan, confused. "How?"

"I can't tell you that just yet..."

"Well you should if you expect me to listen!"

"Well if I tell you now it may ruin said plans moving forward." Dubois asserts. 

"You've got to be fucking kid-" 

Before Declan could finish his grievances Dubois leaps out of his seat and punches him across the face. Caught by surprise, Declan stumbles backwards. He grunts in anger as he wipes the blood spots forming on his lip. That was it. He would not take any more disrespect from Dubois.

Declan swings his fist towards Dubois who dodges the blow. Before Declan can even think about throwing another punch, Dubois' bodyguards grab him by the arm and force his face down onto the table. Declan writhes and struggles as he tries to break free, but he does not even budge either of them . His face is crushed against the table and forced to look up to Dubois who leers over him. 

"You will leave Khalil’s group alone." orders Dubois. "End of story."

And so it was. An ashamed Declan is forced his way out of the room, feeling even smaller than he did when he entered it. All he can do is grit his teeth and curse quietly enough for no one to hear him as he stomps down the tunnels. The guard shut the door behind him. 

“Right…now that that’s dealt with, I’ll need you to track down a man I need for my next meeting. ” Dubois tells his guards

“Of course sir. And who would that man happen to be?”  one of the guards asks. Dubois eyes sing with an evil giddiness. 

“Ryan McKeown.”

2