2 Town
1.1k 8 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"KUM sounds like it acts as a User interface allowing people to gain classes and skills without reading lengthy manuals and serious study. It also seems like if you demonstrate you can use a skill, it awards you with it. You demonstrated water magic, and the system has given you the skill. Can you tell me anything about it?"

"Let's see..." He started making the motions again, and a jet of water came out. "I feel like I can increase or decrease the volume by doing..." he made another hand motion and the water really sprayed out.

"Careful! I don't want to get wet" I burst out. Then I contemplate for a second, and silently add, "Yet."

"It looks like I know more than I did before. The teacher I had only taught me so much before I had to head back home." Jet said quietly, evidently thinking hard

"It does sound like it saves time learning a skill by filling in gaps. I wonder..." I trailed off, considering ways to demonstrate skills that I have picked up bits and pieces of. Perhaps enough to tell the system I have the skill and fill in the gaps? Conceivably. Can skills in my games count? They were intricate. I would need to find somewhere where I can use some tools.

"Money," I stated, then elaborated, "We need money to do things here. Presumably. Do they use money?"

"We need to find out. Let's find some general goods store, or maybe a crafters' den to figure that out"

Jet and I were now on a mission to figure out how money works In this new world. On our way, we found a job board, and it was quite fascinating. It looks like notices are posted, then absorbed by the board. Once absorbed they appear to be able to distribute quests. One quest was one that I would imagine was in all starter zones of any game. A "kill the rats in my basement" quest. Culling goblins... A blacksmith wanted ore, individuals were disappearing on the road, and a few other quests.

This was like any other game, and I wanted to know everything. Without taking a quest right now, and with Jet still figuring out his water magic as we walked, I decided to find a general goods store. It wasn't far. The people were just so real, probably because they are. It was making me all kinds of nervous unexpectedly. Stammering, trying to ask boldly, "Good... Morn-n-ning sir.'' My face must have been scarlet by now, and I got quieter "I... new h-here, and.. friend and I...wondering.... what currency do you use?" I mumbled out of dry lips.

"What my dear friend is trying to say is we are very very new here and would like any information you would be kind enough to provide." Jet kindly supplied.

 The shop owner, who had a short scraggly beard hair that looks strangely like fur, smiled down at me and kindly explained, "I accept trade at standard value for most goods. I have a listing of the system-identified prices, and if you have the raw coinage, I will accept that too. If you have a list, then the price will show up in the description in your inventory. For most people, it's just the name of the goods without the appropriate skill. Does that answer your question, Miss, and sir?"

"YES!" I blurted out loudly. Overcompensating, I mumbled, "how do you use an inventory?"

"You don't have an inventory you are from? How the heck do you keep your most valuable good safe? The goods here on my shelves have a protection tag to make sure if someone takes them out of this shop, they mark the handler, but that can sometimes be bypassed. That tag is removed when a seller wills it."

"Inventory," I said aloud, and a grid showed up. I eeped with excitement. Now... I needed to figure out what to do with it. how does it work? There were a few numbers across the side. I decided to experiment. While I was doing that, Jet was having his own conversation.

"Sorry sir, my friend gets excited. Where we are from, we had no screens, and she seems to be liking them" explained Jet.

"I've got it!" As she stored the backpack in her inventory by picking it up. "It's so intuitive. very simple. it's even sorted by what's in the gear. It's taken up a few slots, but that doesn't matter too much. I can't even feel the weight. Where does it go? Is it in…" I was cut off.

"Ria" Jet was trying to get my attention. "You're mumbling. what's going on?"

I shook my head attempting to get back on track. "I've got so many questions, but I think we can get started." With a plan in my head, I looked at a few of the items. The prices were listed, and we seem to have started with some currency. "We need some basics for survival, and any places we may be able to stay. I could use some crafting equipment. Maybe portable fire if you have it." I explained as directly as I could, gaining confidence as I learned more about the world.

We finished up with the trader getting a few days' worth of rations, some rope, some jugs and cups for water, a bedroll each, and a lantern that seemed to run on special coins. Each energy coin made it last a month or so the kind shop owner explained. I explained to Jet that the top coin listed seemed to be the energy coin, and showed him how to use the inventory.

Jet seemed a bit confused at first but started to show interest once he was able to store his rations without having to hold them. It cost me half of my starting coins, which seemed like a lot, but I got what ended up being very similar to a torch that could produce a lot of heat in a small area. Almost like a welder.

I decided to look at the intricate heating device. Looking closely at it, I found that it had what looked like a garnet embedded in smokey quartz. That's where the Store owner said to attach the EC. It looks like the system is accommodating.

Analyze acquired at E Rank

 

 Heat converter, basic.

 lesser garnet embedded in smoky quartz.

 Efficiency is low. Low MP/sec for the basic flame.

 Low MP and .01 EC sec for a very hot flame.

 High MP and 1EC for overcharge blast. (Class Locked)

 Risk of damage to the converter. Usable by all classes.

 

This had a converter, and I could analyze items. This was too useful. Did This one use a red stone in quarts to make heat from mana? Was that all that was required? These coins used mana and could be boosted with these blue energy coins. was that all? Could I get a small motor working?

"Ria!'' Jet broke me out of my trance. Apparently, I had stopped and was just gazing off into the distance.

"What. huh?" I looked distracted. "oh... I just got the Analyze skill. It looks like this uses a heat converter to take mana to make a flame, and can be augmented with the coin to be a lot more powerful."

"Well, that explains why you just stopped. Weren't we headed to the inn?" Jet says, slightly exasperated.

"Yes, and I need tools more than ever. Maybe I'll use the charge of my laptop to draw up what I need." I explained. "It's unlikely unless I can create an appropriate motor that I could make something to charge it. While I kinda know what I need, measuring it appropriately will be difficult. I doubt that someone has a way to measure electricity like in my world. I don't have a multi-meter. I know the principles behind what I want to do, but I am unsure.

Right now, I'm just guessing, but I think I need some topaz and quartz. So much I need, but I should just start with what I can do. AHHHH so much." That last part was said while clutching my brain case. This world had potential, and until I could return home, I wasn't going to be doing much. Actually... The message implied it copied me from my world. I may still exist there. The other me doesn't have access to magic though.

"oh, kay.... so.... we go to the inn then, get a pair of rooms, and...." Started Jet.

"one room will be fine" I stated. "We need to save our money, and what better way than to double up? Since I suggested it, I'll sleep on the couch or whatever. I wouldn't want to kick you off the bed or anything." Wow.... that was bold of me...

10