Chapter 2 : Cruel Kindred (2)
184 3 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Why...”




I feel tears trailing through my cheeks and to my chin. I never cried this hard before. I was loosing my breath. It hurts. My hand rushed forward as I grasped air...




“No...”




“Why are..you...all...so...”




.




.




.




.




 




.




.




.
















May's eyes were brown, but the longer she stared at Penelope, Penelope realized that the eyes did not have the purity nor innocence of a child. Instead, it was scheming and mysterious.




“May, I cannot give you my pendant.”




Penelope said in response while tugging the necklace in her neck carefully. It was given by her late grandma, it was precious, she had lived under her roof when she was young, therefore held very valuable memories she could not give away.




But May was unhappy. The young girl pursued her lips and her eyes turned scarlet, any moment going to burst into tears. May stared at the pendant, refusing to back down and in denial of the refusal of Penelope.



“May likes it!” May stated as she jumped of the bed, messing the bed and the quilt fell to the ground. Penelope resisted her urge to go and clean up the mess before shaking her head and speaking up, “Like I said, I can't give you my pendant. It's very important!”



“Noooo!” Overlapped with Penelope's voice was May's shout. She bursted into tears and sat on the ground. “Waaaah!” The sudden outburst was less expected by Penelope, she froze, and not any later was her mother's angry yell, “PENELOPE!”



“Mom...” Embarrassed, Penelope looked away. But her mother, Kristine, suddenly rushed towards her and pointed her index finger at her face. “Penelope, how immature are you to argue...No, to bully a child!”



“But I didn't!” 



“Quit making excuses...You damn brat!”




“No, mom, listen to me first..”



“Why should I listen to you, young l..lady! I'm your mother and I say that I had actually failed to educate you on how older people should respect little kids and how teenagers should respect their parents.” Kristine mouthed out with a sour expression. Her finger poked Penelope's forehead aggressively, looking at her own child with cruelty. 



Then, she turned around and faced May with sincerity. Already burning Penelope's eyes. May stopped crying and issued muffle groans, Kristine, like a follower, hurriedly asked May what was a wrong and asked what happened.



“May just wanted to borrow Big Sister's Pendant...” Whispered May. “Then all of a sudden, Penelope hit me and scolded me, saying that she owns it and will not lend it to a child like me....wuu...” She added.



Penelope was dumbstruck, she never did that nor said that. She only gave Penelope a reason why she could not have her pendant. 



And lend....May never asked for that. Penelope decided and developed courage to tell Kristine the actual events when Kristine flung her hand away and scolded Penelope again, “You're a brute, hitting a child. Was this how that old geezer taught you?!”



Penelope raised her hand to defend herself. She felt injustice. May rubbed her eyes and followed Kristine out of Penelope's room, leaving the other to wonder the mistakes had she ever done...



Why am I always the one who is the suspect, meanwhile never a victim. Am I a villain, am I not just to receive justice...am I worthless...She asked herself, the doubt of another reason intensified in her heart. 



Penelope did not leave her room for dinner, but no one called out for her to eat. 




-




-




-




-








|




|




|




|




|




|




|




|




|








The night passed, and the weather was bound to change. The birds chirped like the owls of the dark night, it was crows, their red eyes glinted as the scowl of helpless screams echoed in a nearby yet far away place...




A human, male, looked frantically at the broken glass fragments scattered on the floor. His eyes were unfocused, trembling with fear and horror. “James, James!” He called out aloud and the connector on his hand beeped in response.




“James, I lost it!” His voice had just finished relaying his purpose when he looked aback in fright. 




Caw..




.




.




.




Crwaww...




.




.




.








Woo..




.




.




.




.




.




“Mom, my pendant is missing.”




Penelope told Kristine who was busy watching cartoons with May on the TV. The older woman responded with a inattentive hum. 




“Mom...I said, my pendant is missing.” Penelope repeated. 




“Yeah, so?” Kristine looked at her child with a blank look. Penelope glanced at Kristine's expression. It was her mother's neutral emotion, however, a second had only passed when Kristine's expression turned ugly. “Are you saying that May stole it?”




“No...uh..I was just...” Penelope could not find the words to relay it. 




“May is not a thief, I gave it to her.” Kristine said.

4