Prologue, The Argument
52 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Since people were interested here's the prologue to A Vampire's Magical Experiments. It's one of the actual good things I've written so felt it was a shame to keep it in my drafts.

The language of animals are indeed complex, but it all boils down to getting a point across and back. As such emotion, intent, and intonation are required alongside a healthy dose of  magic. Non-verbal communication is also a success, sadly more elaborate emotions are often not conveyed in a interpretable state. As an example both pleasure can be interpreted as excitement, while pain and anger greatly coincide and vies versa. 
More of the language itself has died as less and less people practiced it, as smarter magical creatures instead switched to human tongue to get their point across. The language itself was to communicate with the eyes, intonating the original animals speech, such as squeaks, caws, and hissing alongside a magic connection. Using human language to converse would also work to a much lesser degree, garnering suspicion upon the speaker, enabling inaccurate translation. 
While I myself (and my assistant) are still fluent and have increased the range of species to include magical creatures, only three types of "speakers" are still prevalent, with two of them fading into obscurity and one being ostracized. As such I believe that while it is a teachable language, no one will want to learn it for another 100 years until it's infamy disperses allowing the gift to be re-studied. 

"Hey, Hey, Master Tailor, whatcha writing?" A pale woman floated over, who appeared to be taken straight out of a black and white photo. she looked over the man scribbling in a book. 

"Not now Jane, I'm working on my final volume of the Study of Animal Speakers." He spoke up, without looking away. 

"Yeah, but why are you writing these books anyway? I've already died so it's not like I'll use them." The man this time did look, his sharp yellow eyes glaring. 

"I could sell them to one of those new 'wizarding schools' They'd scramble for my knowledge." He spoke sarcastically. 

"That's a lie. They'd classify your work as 'dark magic', not to mention you don't have the proper identity anymore. You've got no credit." 

"Oh shut it Jane," He said offhandedly while muttering, "I don't know why I made you in the first place." under his breath. Though Jane had heard him anyway. 

"You made me so I could stop you from doing what you are now, wasting away writing books. Why don't you get another apprentice or at least a new friend?" Jane appeared to be exasperated.

"Ha! Like someone could see past the field again, you were rare and I'm not going out of my way to find another," with a mutter "Especially with what I did to you." He looked away. 

"It wasn't your fault! So stop blaming yourself for it. I've forgiven you decades ago, so stop moping around about it." 

The conversation ran in circles and it was evident it wasn't the first time. While cottage was decrepit it still held up like it was invincible, papers scattered around the room with scribbles and formulas.  A man and a woman yelling at each other in exasperation over the things they did in the past. Candlelight flickering although no one noticed. 
Whooosh
The candle went out, but the people kept shouting. As if the dark and cold hadn't affected them in the slightest.

"So your going to make me do it huh?! The final straw William! If you don't stop complaining I'll do it!" Jane yelled her form flickering like waning moonlight.

"Oh like you'd do it! You'd be begging me to come back, Regretting that decision! Go ahead, I dare you!" His eyes becoming a glowing red in anger. Jane knew he didn't mean it but this time she was prepared to go through with it, to end the constant bickering. It would finally push him to change but she would've chosen another way if given the chance. It had to be though, as it was obvious he was stagnating. His temper was on an all time high, and he was eating the bare minimum he needed to stay conscious. Then they would argue, yell get tired, and repeat again month after month after month. 

Jane knew that he was to dependent of her, to much so to go out and make new friends, take new apprentices, a new love. But she was dead, and while he only had a half life he deserved more. She turned around and hit the button inside her portrait. He, William, Looked shocked she actually did it, and in a bright flash and a noisy pop, he was sitting on the ground, Suitcase in hand in the middle of the forest. 

"Shit."

0