Ch 55. The hope that protects
231 4 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
A certain author is slightly overwhelmed with work, so I apologize for the late post in that author's stead.

Our small party headed out before the sunrise, and for the entire solar day we were walking.

It was a long and exhausting journey, that ended with me dragging the lifeless body of my conversation partner on my shoulders. Unsurprisingly I was not tired in the slightest, and as the evening approached I became livelier. If not for my vision remaining human, I would’ve continued walking throughout the night.

But the long march ended, as the light levels dropped, the adventurers exhausted, and the stomach rumbled. We prepared to camp for tonight.

“Erbrun, Placid, go gather the wood! Old man Wolf, set up the tents! Jeanne, set up the campfire!” Valerian commanded from a tree trunk we were going to use as a seat.

And what about you?” I grumbled.

Me? I am very important noble, of course I am supposed to relax and enjoy seeing others work!” The blond man grinned at me.

While I was gawking at his shameless proclamation, Jeanne lightly pushed me with her elbow.

“Amy, let’s pick some dry leafs, His Laziness is just fooling around, no need to bother.” The girl said without a hint of concern.

I was about to wonder why nobody cared about Valerian avoiding the work, but before I could voice my concern, the young man yelled.

You say everyone is spoiling your fun, Jeanne! Why did you have to spoil mine?” Valerian whined, and stood up, heading towards Wolfgang. Before Jeanne and I returned with dry leafs for the campfire, the three tents were set up. We found Valerian pulling out grass for the campfire pit.

Slow, sooo slow!” The girl said with feigned annoyance.

I am sorry, Milady, I will work faster!” The blond answered with feigned vigor.

You guys are really something.” I said in amazement.

“He-he-he~, we are blessed with good friends~!” (J)

…and with stupidity…’ I murmured while looking at truly careless attitude everybody showed.

At this point it was a tourist camp in a park surrounded by fence and designed for accommodating good-for-nothing people who would die in an actual wilderness. Nobody even pretended to look around for possible monsters, and all weapons were thrown into a pile far away from us.

[I’m glad you all are having fun, but for God’s sake…!]

I gazed around, expecting to see at least any reason they would act so carelessly. Despite my obvious lack of knowledge about this world’s adventuring, but even I knew that things were not done correctly.

I waited for a dozen minutes, until the remaining two people return with firewood. But neither of them was carrying a weapon, nor even tried to look around.

Only then I exploded.

People! Am I the one who’s stupid? Are we at a resort and no harm can come our way?!

For a few moments everyone stopped in their tracks, freezing and waiting for something. Then Valerian and the others straightened their backs and looked at me. The young man spoke.

“Amy, we are perfectly prepared.” In response, I gazed with suspicion.

“We have Placid, ranger, perfectly on alert. Don’t pay attention to him chattering, his hearing is good enough to notice bad things coming.

Then we have Jeanne, who would sense any mana of a strong monster. Her lungs are good and she can shriek loud enough to deafen us all.

And we also have you!” He showed at me with his hand.

Ha?” I blurted in disbelief.

“While we were with you, no monster ever came our way!” Valerian turned around, his hand showing at the surrounding forest.

“Placid heard some monsters in the distance, but…” (V)

But as we got closer, the monsters would simply flee. Together with all other animals. And the only difference in comparison with our other trips is…” Placid stretched both his hands towards me.

“Thanks for being with us~! You saved us quite a lot of time on camping~! No need to carry weapons, and no need to spare three people to guard while gathering branches~!” Jeanne grinned while making the same gesture as Placid.

“Truly, our meeting was the luckiest thing that happened to our party.” Wolfgang stroked his beard.

Ha…?” I gazed at the last party member to speak.

“Thanks a lot, Amy!” Erbrun showed me his thumb and grinned widely.

Ehrm…? Ok…?” I continued gazing around dumbfounded. I was yet to do anything for this party, but the naïve fools were already happy.

And while I was experiencing the cultural shock (staring at the void), the campfire was lit and the porridge cooked.

9