Ch 57. The betrayed hope
174 3 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Jeanne led me far enough from the boys, she pulled me closer to a tree, and kabedoned me. Her serious expression contrasted with the posture in which we were standing. One hand blocked off my escape path, while the other gently pinched my cheek.

S-sorry, Jeanne, I’m not into girls.” I said innocently. The mage opened her mouth in confusion, which I immediately used by putting a finger on her lips.

Sorry~.

Wa-wa-wait?! T-this isn’t even about it…?!” The girl protested, in the process releasing me from her grip.

Yeah~.

Khm. I’m telling this to you, because you are my friend.” I nodded along.

We… Khm. Usually don’t take on such tasks, killing dragons and likes…” I nodded again.

But…” Jeanne hesitated.

“But I’m going to be a meatshield.”

Mitshird…?” (J)

“Get hurt in your place.” I explained. The girl awkwardly scratched the back of her head, and lightly nodded.

Ah, what a fickle friendship!” I exclaimed in a feigned ire.

N-no, no! We…! I…! I didn’t mean…! We…! We thought…!” Unlike the mock remark I made, Jeanne’s face expressed how utterly lost for words she was. While I could’ve continued fooling around, I felt that throwing around such comments would only result in hurting this silly simpleton for no reason.

Relax. I signed up to be adventuring, and I was told it may be bad for health. And, I hope, you didn’t plan to have me eaten by an oversized lizard.”

Uh! Uh!” Jeanne frantically nodded.

Wait, you planned for me to be its meal?!” I poked at the girl’s conscience again, before jogging back to the men.

The four guys were watching my talk with Jeanne, and although most words were quiet, some of the latest comments were shouted, allowing everyone to hear it.

But, before anyone could utter a word, I exclaimed: “I hope that’s the first and the last time nobody tells me such crucifix details.”

Right!” Erbrun and the others nodded.

After this ‘reconciliation’, the party entered the village. And while Valerian and Placid headed to the branch office of the adventurers guild, Wolfgang, Jeanne and I were in a rented house, sorting the gear and preparing for the upcoming subjugation.

The person with the least common sense was put in charge of the most important task: reminding everyone how much indebted they are to me for trying to abuse my physique.

“Ah, poor me, it is my first actual quest, and here I am. Ah, poor little me, is about to be fed to a dragon! Oh, Faith, you are so cruel to me!

“Fate.” Wolfgang corrected me.

Difference…?

“We can always explain it to you later, but will it be of any help~?” Jeanne giggled.

Ah, how cruel are my party mates…! Not only are they going to betray me before the start of the fight! They are also going to keep me oblivious of the world around me! For them I truly am just a sack of vegetables to be punched!

While I was getting on the others’ nerves, the party slowly completed their preparations. By the night we (they) were perfectly prepared for the upcoming fight. Or so they appeared to be.


We all sat at a dining table, and Valerian laid out some pieces of parchment with scribbles. I too joined in gazing at them, and waited until the party captain spoke.

“Tomorrow we are heading out to the dragon infant’s lair.

We will follow the marked trail, and head downhill to this valley. There should be the dragon nest.

When we get there, Erbrun will cover the glass doll while she casts. Placid, go for the eyes. Wolf, heal Erbrun. Finally, me and Amy will be beating the baby dragon to pulp. Simple as this.” Valerian glanced at me, waiting for my acknowledgement.

How many dragons will there be?

“ONE.” He pointed at one of the scribble parchments.

And how will we make it stay…?” I pointed at the map. The proposed trail was a long one, and by the time we get to the dragon’s location, it would be a mile away.

“It ate an entire cow, the baby will be digesting it for a looong time. Long enough for us to be sure it will be in the nest.” The blond man said with a sadistic grin.

“I mean… Wasn’t I repelling every freaking monster miles away from me?

Mires…?

” I glared.

S-sorry. We prepared for this… ‘possibility’.” Valerian bent under the table, and lifted a sack of something clattering. I gazed questioningly.

“There are a few dozen potions that mask smell, and no less than ten potions that mask mana trail.

Guess who’s going to be drenched from head to toe tomorrow~?” The handsome guy grinned.

Oh…” I looked at the sack. Of course I was ‘very’ excited.

“Will it work…?” I asked in monotonous voice.

“Yeah. Maybe.” (V)

8