Ch 64. The gruesome hope
131 5 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Why were there no chapters for so long? Basically, on my work we're running behind schedule with procuring materials. We're just a month... past the deadline. No strength to write ATM, but when the schedule clears enough, I should remember to write three chapters I owe you people.

The air around me was filled with ashes and smoke.

Every breath I made filled my nose with a suffocating smell of burnt grass. But I was still fully capable of fighting.

As I roared my defiance and disdain towards the stupefied lizard, the dragon made a few steps back in surprise.

In its reptilian pupils I saw dissonance between what it expected, and what happened after its fire breath.

Yet, I was not completely unharmed.

My heart was beating like crazy and the alien analogue of adrenalin made me feel like there is a heavy metal band playing their loudest song right by my ears.

On top of that, I felt like I am losing senses in one of my arms, after it was bitten and the flesh inside burnt.

However, I showed none of it on my face. I maintained resolute expression as I stepped towards the dragon infant.

The lizard that was twice as tall as my ‘human body’ wobbled back.

[This thing has no experience whatsoever. Just beat it to pulp. Tear it apart.]

Cha…rge… De…fe…nd…

My royal guards were ready to rush in, right after I permit them. But I decided to push my luck and defeat the dragon by myself.

Partially because if the xenomorphs are spotted, then hasta la vista my calm and quiet life. While I pretend to be a strong adventurer, I at least keep some chances to avoid the worst. But the moment these adventurers disappear and people smell fishy stuff going on around me, I am as good as dead.

My internal monologue was a part of my will, and the hive obeyed. For now.

Sorry to keep you waiting, you motherhacking lizard.” I clenched my fists and took a stance.

By this point the dragon was way less confident, and way more cautious.

Urrrrrrr…

It snarled while backing away towards the ruined carriage.

I stepped, jogged, ran and charged at it.

TAKE THI… S?!” As I was about to land a hit on it, the dragon reared up and pushed me with its front legs. It immediately opened its jaws to fire again.

Not this time…” I jumped aside, to the monster’s great displeasure. Not because it missed with its fire breath.

KABOOM

Immediately after I got away from the dragon’s fire breath, a ball of fire smashed into its body.

URRRAAA!!!

It roared in fury.

Only then I remembered, that there was a mage waiting for me to distract the dragon. And the said mage couldn’t shoot a single spell while I was in the way.

However, by casting this fireball, Jeanne gave away their position, and the dragon galloped at the party. I rushed after it and jumped on its back.

DON’T FORGET ME, YOU LIZARD!

CRUNCH

My fist landed right into the middle of the dragon’s spine.

URROOOO?!

It shrieked in shock. And although I achieved nothing more than bruising its spine and breaking some back scales, the dragon understood that it isn’t getting away with me in tow.

SORRY, CAN’T HEAR YOU!

SMACK

TRY LOUDER!

URRRRAAAAAA!!!

I continued punching its back, until the dragon started jumping like a raging bull. And with me being the first to fly off the bull riding machine, it didn’t take more than a couple jumps for me to fall off its back.

URRRRRRR…

The dragon growled, pained and maddened. But just when it decided to focus on me, Jeanne threw a stone with wind magic.

It took just a second for the monster to throw a furious glance at the mage, but when its head turned back to the actual threat, it received an on-head collision with my fist.

URRRGH?!’ The dragon wobbled and backed. Its entire body shook.

Several heavy hits on its head, and quite a few punches on its spine and limbs. A fireball into its face, and an entire party of adventurers to top if off.

The dragon backed away towards its nest, while we regrouped in front of it.

In the final attempt, the dragon opened its mouth to spew fire, and I rushed at it with my fists ready.

PUNCH

KICK

POW

The dragon’s body fell on the ground. Blood streamed from its crushed skull.

Frrrrrr…

It whimpered, and with the remaining strength the dragon crawled towards its nest.

I looked at it and frowned. My hand immediately gripped the handle of Valerian’s sword.

Give it to me.” I pulled the sword and gripped it.

I could easily finish off the dying thing, putting it out of its misery. Or, just act like a hero who defeated this dragon, and make a speech of how wonderful I am, while the dragon dies on its own.

To finish or not to finish thy fallen foe?
  • A bit battered, by a dragon's head is quite a trophy. Finish it.
  • The battle is over, and the beast is dying. Let it die on its own.
Total voters: 17 · This poll was closed on Nov 29, 2023 03:28 PM.
9