Chapter 34: The Dragoness of Gisvold [1]
123 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 34: The Dragoness of Gisvold [1]

The little birds chirped in excitement as the dawn performed a show of its majesty. The crown of rising light had awakened the drowsy and tired villagers as and coolness of the morning stung their skins.

The night had been full of twists, but at last, they had finally arrived at the Town of Gisvold.

Sounds of gasp flowed, coming from the villagers following the carts. The chatters turned louder, some children even shouted in excitement and joy.

“Noisy,” Klive mumbled, eyes closed, wrinkling his nose. He pulled his thick blanket over his face, wishing to block not only the peeking light but also the sounds. Still, the chatters continued to echo, turning the young boy’s mood cantankerous. After all, he had slept little.

“Hmnn! Fine! I’ll sleep later.” Klive’s ashen gray hair flowed as he kicked his blanket away. One eye opened while the other halfway closed. He rubbed his eyes and stood. Turning to his left, he found Ciera sleeping soundly. He tried to sneak out with silent steps, curious to find out what’s with the willful noise.

The creaky wooden cart gave him away, waking up the monster he feared. Klive remembered the nagging he received last night and shuddered. He could not sleep until the hour-long preaching had reached its end. Unfortunately, the creaky sounds woke up the little lady on the side.

“Klive? Where are you going again? Don’t go out and wait for me.” Ciera uttered, icy and firm. From the sounds of it, she’s still bothered by what happened last night. She was not letting him go this time.

Klive froze. The icy voice stopping him from his steps, awry mirth growing on his lips. He scratched his cheek. “I’m not escaping. I-I want to see why they’re so noisy outside.”

“I know. So wait for me.” Ciera yawned, eyeing the curious boy with a sharp glare. She tidied the makeshift bed and folded the blankets in a jiffy. Turning her gaze to Klive, she frowned.

The downward arch on Ciera’s lips made Klive tensed, but not for long.

Ciera lifted her hands, patting straight Klive’s wonky morning hair. Finding symmetry, she nodded. “Let’s go.”

“Hm!” Klive giggled, jumping out of the carriage, looking left and right. The morning breeze rustled the leaves. He gazed to the east as excitement drowned the little guy. “Oh, Ciera, look! Look, it’s dawn! Beautiful!”

Ciera took a deep breath, inhaling the fresh scent of the dawn. The serious little lady showed a beam perfect for her age. It had been a year since she last glimpsed of Gisvold.

The dawn shimmered on the green grasses, rustling trees, and the creatures of Eudoria watched beholden. The crown of light rising with majesty, piercing through the shadows of the night to welcome the new day.

The golden beams fell, striking the stained forest glass of Gisvold’s castle, upper villas, and houses. The light made the place like a shining city.

The cockatoos followed the clock of the aspects, crowing as it called the sleeping townsfolk awake. The town’s roads became active as rambunctious kids drifted from road to road. One by one, the shop windows opened to start another day of business.

The villagers arrived exactly at this time, allowing them to witness the wonders of Gisvold. Travelers dubbed Gisvold as the Town of Dawn for its picturesque breaking dawn scenery. It was the stopover of most adventurers because of its highly active merchants and quality food. They could also sell their wares and monsters for a price.

The villagers stood tongue-tied, the young ones’ eyes grew, shining in curiosity. After all, only the adults could travel to other places because of the danger of the wild. The sight was a far cry from their pebble and mud-littered makeshift roads. Though, to the sloths, the rising sun looked more like a new lease on life. After all, the eventful night had taken a toll on them.

They swore to become a hard-working villager and help their parents once everything returns to normal. Most of them had given up their dreams of becoming adventurers. Of course, it’ll be one work at a time. Still, this was a good start.

“Attention, my dear villagers! I hope you got a pleasant sleep last night.” Septharion shouted, his firm voice powerful enough to let the 500+ villagers hear. His tone had a bit of mocking striking the last night’s victims awake. “Oh, I almost forgot. Welcome to Gisvold!”

***

The villagers with families and relatives inside the barony could stay inside for the night. As for those who do not have any relatives, the Lord of the town, Baron Gisvold, had offered tents so that they could camp when the night comes.

Septharion had to meet Baron Gisvold along with the knight’s children. And of course, Davin accompanied him. He was Gisvold’s heir, after all. They galloped straight towards the Lord’s mansion after settling the villagers.

It didn’t take long before the group finally arrived at their destination. It was a large, beautiful mansion. A garden of flowers blooming on the side of the mansion, the flowery scent drifting along with niceties of the wind.

It was the place where the knight and his family once stayed.

A sleek-looking man stood before the entrance. He had sharp brows like a sword. The small arch on lips was akin to seductive poison to the ladies. He exuded power and authority despite his handsome face. One look and you’ll know that the charismatic man was also a powerful warrior. The callous in his hands showing how much he spent over the sword.

“Welcome to Gisvold, Septharion!” The handsome man turned his head at the three kids, grinning like a kind-hearted uncle. “Of course also to my little cute nephews and niece.”

Septharion moved his hand on his chest before making a light bow. A show of courtesy among knights. Yes, the Baron was also a knight. A famous one. Just like Levo, he also earned his title through fighting the front line but a little earlier.

“Uncle!” Klive ran straight towards the black-haired, sleek middle-aged man. He jumped towards the well-known Baron Gisvold with a big smile on his face.

As if he was already used to this, the Baron caught the young kid and swung him around. The giggles of the little boy echoed throughout the mansion’s entrance. The passing maids and gardeners saw the kids and smiled. Some even ran inside to share the good news. The rambunctious little kids were back.

“Hahaha! Have you been good, little Klive?” At the question, the little boy moved his head away after finding himself guilty. He had been naughty last night.

Liszt stepped forward and followed Septharion’s way of addressing the Baron. Yet, the light mirth showed what he was really feeling. “Uncle!”

Seeing this, the Baron simply laughed. He laid Klive back to the ground and strode towards Liszt. He ruffled his hair with gaiety. “How have you been, little Liszt? You’re growing fine alright!”

The Baron’s word brought a big innocent smile on the usually serious face of Liszt. Pride and a bit of shyness made the young kid’s face flush a bit. “Hmnn!”

And for the last one, the Baron gazed at the little lady. Compared to the other two, the little lady had grown the most. The cry baby was no more. Unlike before, wisps of wisdom shone on those cute, innocent eyes. She watched the Baron play with the other two and waited for her turn.

The Baron grinned before gesturing for her to come and join the fun. And so, the little lady dropped her act and started running straight to the baron.

Ciera jumped straight towards the baron just like Klive. Though, unlike Klive, the Baron put her on his shoulders just like the old times. The little lady hummed in delight, her head bobbing left and right in excitement. Her feet swinging in happiness. It had been long since she had last since the baron.

As for the other middle-aged man beside Septharion, the Baron ignored him. After all, he was not familiar with the man. Nevertheless, the baron saw a tinged pain flashing on the middle-aged man’s face. Do I know this guy? He doesn’t look familiar at all.

Thinking for a moment, the baron thought that he might have met the middle age man somewhere when he was young. On the battlefield? Which one?

Though his thoughts were cut short by the little lady’s question.

“Uncle, where’s Baroness Cecille?”

The Baron smiled before pointing his fingers at the cloud of dust rising from the east. “She’s coming.”

Soon enough, the trail of dust turned clearer and clearer. It was a crimson-haired lady carrying a gigantic double-headed axe. She was holding the axe over her shoulder as if it was paper light.

The excitement within the three little kid’s eyes burst forth. Together, they shouted. “Lady Aunt!”

The trio immediately ran towards the rampaging crimson shadow. Not the slightest fear hiding their eyes. A massive grin filling their faces. After Trea disappeared like a bubble, the baroness was the one who helped Madam Annise in taking care of the little ones. So it’s not shocking that the little ones were very close to the wife of the baron.

As for the baroness, her lips rose after seeing the familiar little trio rushing towards her. She stopped for a moment and threw the gigantic double-headed axe over the mansion’s walls. The gigantic axe spun, scaring a few passing townsfolk, sending many scrambling, especially the new adventurers. Of course, everything soon returned to normal. After all, they were already used to the weird quirks of their baroness. A light explanation to the adventurers and they’re good. The baroness just loves to toss crazy things over the mansion.

Her deeds earned her a fitting title from the townsfolk - the Dragoness of Gisvold. A perfect description. She would even throw monsters she had hunt over from time to time.

After throwing the axe, the baroness strode towards the little kids. A big mirth dancing on her lips.

The trio dived into the crimson-haired baroness’s embrace like cute little kittens. She hugged them tightly before whispering something to the three. Her maternal instincts kicking in. She pinched the little kids’ faces until they became ripe tomatoes. “I miss you, my three cute little ones. Come, let’s do it just the old times.”

And alas, just like what they were waiting for. Liszt, Ciera, and Klive jumped towards the lady baroness in abandon. Then, they were thrown into the skies whilst carrying a big smile on their faces. They flew into the air like juggling balls under the meticulous control of the lady baroness. Their giggles echoing throughout the mansion’s wide gates, inviting weird troubled smiles from everyone who caught sight of the flying kids.

Seeing this, the baron couldn’t help but show an awry smile. Her wife never changes at all. She was as strong and beautiful as always. “Cecille! Bring the kid’s inside before the breakfast turns cold. We’ll go first.”

“Yes, darling!” The baroness laughed as she played with the three jolly kids. Though they had grown much since the last time she saw them, they were still light as a feather as compared to her double-headed axe.

2