Chapter 5: The Knight’s Esquire [1]
725 0 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 5: The Knight’s Esquire [1]

The moment the village elders heard the word ‘dismissed.’ They scrambled towards the manor’s dusty door, running away faster than when they came in. The elders' shadows receded swiftly from the room, as if they were veering away from some beasts. They ran to their homes, bringing the warning of the new lord.

Only the old chief, along with his family, remained. He made the arrangements for the knight and his contingent, guiding them to their temporary abode.

The village chief's house would be the temporary home of the knight’s family. It was the biggest house in the entire village aside from the old manor. The village head had asked them to stay there for a day since the manor still needed some thorough cleaning. The knight’s men also received hospitable single-story houses prepared for village guests.

The old man and his family told the knight that they would sleep in one of their empty houses. After assuring that everything was in order, the old chief finally excused himself.

He ran back to his eldest son's home to share the latest news. Well, to at least prepare for the eventualities.

 

***

Tired after the entire day of work, the golden ball of fire rested, its worn-out rays tinting the sky tangerine orange. The silhouettes of the birds witnessed the heavens changing their color and view. The moons stepped into the ladders of the sky.

Three bright moons crept up to take her place, sending drowsy spells to the sun's brightness, the night came.

“Levo, what do you think of this village?” Madam Annis picked a chair to sit on, her eyes gazing at the burly knight who was sitting in a barrel-like chair. “What’s your impression of the villagers?”

“That’s a good question,” the knight replied as he sat in the wooden barrel as if it’s a throne. His arms crossed, furrows deep.

Knight Levo fell into deep thought. At first glance, the village seemed to function well. But after meeting elders, he changed his mind. There was a big sense of incongruity among them. They lack passion. No purpose. As if everyone was there just live out the day and be done with it.

“The entire village seems fun to me. The main issue is they have no goals to speak of. Every time you asked a question, they all look at the old beardy.” Knight Levo tapped his fingers at the table. His other hand touched his chin. “And that ain’t funny, they’re expecting a lot from one person. And don’t get me started about the lazy ones.”

Though the knight seemed to be a little dull about management issues, it didn’t mean he was dumb. Hey, he got his senses to plow him through.

The knight was highly perceptive of his surroundings. A warrior with a keen eye capable of sensing and capturing the minute changes in the faces of the villagers.

His sharp instincts could tell if something was wrong or even if someone was lying. Of course, it’s not a 100% chance. But it's still useful. Aside from being a good soldier on the battlefield, it’s one thing that helped him earn his fief.

And maybe... it’s also the reason how he had such a beautiful wife. No matter how random his brain was, his senses were mostly right.

In wars and campaigns, sharp intuition was of great value. A luxury. It saves lives, saves time, and saves coins. Oh, another thing, it also saved the butts of some rich, greedy merchant. A few noble lords. And even a royal during the campaign.

“You’re right, it looks like we must instill some discipline especially among the men and the youth. Hmnn… How about letting them train with one of your esquires?” The Madam suggested, an unnoticeable smirk sidling on her face. “If they’ll lack a goal, we will give them one.”

“Fine by me!" The knight agreed as he grinned along with his wife. It was getting more interesting, he thought. “That’s better than whipping. Whipping leaves quite a nasty taste in my mouth.”

“As for us, our principal goal to make this village better for the kids.” The Madam walked towards the window. She looked at the three moons outside, her eyes shining along with its light.

In the Kingdom of Rutherford, the common punishment for idlers was whipping. Still, the first king also gave the nobles some leeway in the punishment decision. They could punish the crime with forced labor or other services. At most, the punishment lasts for three months.

“I will also slowly prepare and add some new things for the village. I’ll also talk to the idly women and ladies.” The madam added. “Then, we will call another meeting with the old gramps.”

That very night, the first order of the Lord came down written in bold red paint. With the help of the old chief and the elders, his words were sent to every household in the village.

The elders had already warned all those lazy bums. Hearing the threat coming from the new lord, the sloths trembled. They heard about the punishment of whipping. The elders even exaggerated the story until it evolved from simple whipping to death by hanging.

It gave the sloths - one hell of a night.

All villagers without work in the village except for children, women, and the old ones. Be at the east village outskirts at dawn. ‘We will punish latecomers!’

The news crept like wildfire in the night, bringing nightmares to those who knew they had sinned. They knew they couldn’t lie under the oaths of the kingdom if they bring them under trial. The first king’s oath will mark those who lie. Then, death was the next step for a mere villager.

“Damn! What does the new lord want with us? It’s still very early, and hell I still feel so sleepy. I’m missing my bed already.” One of the yawning youth annoyingly said. “Father! Do you know what does the Lord wants us to do?”

The villagers were all feeling grumpy and odd. The old chief never told them to wake up this early. They were only told to finish the work assigned to them. It doesn’t matter how long it takes, all they need was to finish things when they feel like it.

Most of the villagers who gathered in the outskirts today were those who were indolent. Those who only knew how to take advantage of the kindness of their old parents, brothers, and sisters.

Though they don't want to follow the orders of the lord. They felt forced too after hearing the word punished. After all, they heard gossips from nearby villages that it was always better to get to the good side of the lord.

The late-night gossips last night also gave the slothful villagers something to fear. Some villagers even barely slept because of anxiety. A few even dreamed of a whip and a gallows, sending their superstitious families in panic.

Remembering the scary stories and songs circulated by traveling poets made the threat realistic. Narratives about villagers getting whipped. A tragedy of a commoner family who all faced the guillotine. Or stories about hanging after not heeding the lord.

The villagers didn't have a habit of taking chances.

Anyway, who wants to get his head cut off or get hanged? At least, if they punished today, it would only be through whipping. What're few lashes if compared to the shadows of some nearby gallows?

Clack… Clack… clack…

“Pshhh! Shut up, boy!” The father of the youth angrily whispered to his son, his voice hissing in agitation. Despite his misgivings, he still knew that offending nobles means paying up a price. Well, that’s what sets him apart from his son. “Someone is coming, he may hear you!”

Soon, a powerful voice came crashing down. The villagers shifted their heads. It came from an amiable middle-aged-looking man. The man was sitting on the back of a hulking horse, his back straight like a war spear. His eyes shining as his lax gaze landed at the villagers.

The villagers then tried to look for any signs of a whip in the man's belt for a more reasonable assurance.

Seeing the affable look of the man, the villagers signed in relief. There was no whip on his side as well. The new lord had spared them it seemed. They won’t be crawling home until they were bloody.

“Attention! Good morning men of Lother.” The loud yet charismatic voice boomed from the affable-looking man. Then he smiled. “My name is Davin, esquire of the knight, I am assigned by the Lord last night to drill and train you. He wished to make you proud and true men!”


Thank you for reading!

16