Chapter 15: Visitors at Night [1]
414 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 15: Visitors at Night [1]

The season of spring was a great time for all people of Eudoria. Aside from the warm weather, spring also meant the start of festivities. A rare time when all the existing nations, kingdoms, and empires of the Eudorian continent would hold a celebration together.

The continent-wide festivities were called the Esprites Spring, also known as the Festival of the Divinities. The massive event served as a tribute to the grace, protection, and provisions given by the three moon gods. It also served as thanksgiving for their messengers - the transcendental creatures known as Esprites.

And as per the oath of the old, all existing sovereigns of Eudoria had to commemorate it every spring. No one knew when it started, but according to old folklore, the first festival occurred near the end of the unrecorded era called ‘The Dusk’.

It was a festival of thanks, but soon turned into the Esprites Spring, a season when the mythical beings called Esprites allowed the mortals to have a glimpse of their visage. It was the reason the mid-spring was called ‘Month of the Esprites’.

Esprites were elusive mythical creatures depicted throughout Eudorian history. Historians claimed that they’re Demi-gods and servants of the three moon gods.

These mythic creatures had graced the birth of the greatest kingdoms and the rise of heroes. They represented omens... may it be good or bad. They also have a lot of historical depictions written in various stories and myths. Their legacies passed down on each kingdom and nation of Eudoria.

A proof that they’re not mere fiction or made-up creatures.

A good example was the appearance of the Heavenly Elk when the heroic King Leon ascended the throne. It was also the same day when the Knight’s Kingdom of Rutherford was established.

The ascension of King Leon triggered a momentous event remembered in history. A blinding light and loud rumbling had unfolded above the skies. Soon, a White Elk covered with a pure and holy aura descended from the heavens. It circled the kingdom of the knights before vanishing through the clouds.

The Blood Tiger appeared when Bolkov the Mad Sword thwarted the dark fiends’ invasion. The man who had ended the war against the conquerors coming from the Dark Continent. Until now, that day was still being celebrated in the Eustachian Empire.

People believed that these legendary creatures served as the guardians of the Eudorian Continent. No one really knew where they really came from. Still, each of their major appearances heralded a sign of significant change, the rise of a new era, or a warning of an upcoming calamity.

Scholars had also theorized that each Esprites embodied concepts such as time and light. As well as darkness, war, space, death, and life. It’s widely believed by scholars that these creatures stay at the menagerie of the three moon gods. The Avalon.

There’s still a lot to learn about these mythical creatures. Where they came from or what birthed them to be? Were they created by the gods or not? The reason for their existence? And why they could only be seen in the Eudorian Continent?

There were still a lot of question marks about these fabled existences. All we know right now is—they exist.

-excerpt from Themas’ Book of Eudoria: The Esprites of Eudorian Continent - Volume XI-

***

Knight Levo had himself full-armored as he marched outside his old manor. Laying on his waist was an eye-catching sword, and if you take a more careful look, you’d see an intricate silvery white-elk pattern.

It was the symbol of knighthood in the Knight’s Kingdom of Rutherford called the Sword of the White Elk.

The King of Rutherford would only give this kind of sword to those whom he trusted. A rare gift that spoke of honor and valor. It was an acknowledgment of merit for the owner's significant contributions to the kingdom and the crown.

All who receive such swords possessed skills that helped the people of the kingdom. Simply put, the white elk sword was a manifestation of glory and honor to those who wield it. For an honor-bound stuck-up nation like Rutherford, the beautiful sword was something to cry for.

Levo sped up towards the courtyard. His imposing aura loomed as he reached the courtyard. The soldiers ran here and fro as they prepared themselves for the upcoming battle. Levo gazed at the dark clouds enshrouding the moon and frowned. “Smells like blood.”

“Buckle yourself, everyone! Men, prepare your swords and rush to the manor. We’re going to have a big catch tonight!” Levo took a deep breath and bellowed in a loud voice. His shout boomed and soon reached every nook and cranny of the village.

The Knight’s roar had reached the village nook and cranny, drifting to the ears of the soldiers and villagers alike. As for the soldiers that had already reached the courtyard, they straightened themselves like a bow after glimpsing the white-elk sword sheathed on the knight’s scabbard.

Soon, an ear-piercing war cry echoed throughout the village of Lother. It was a candid reply to the Knight’s roar. The noises were a mixture of anticipation, excitement, nervousness, and other feelings.

Levo's call had turned the villagers jumpy and tense. It had awoken the villagers from their deep slumber. The tension had slowly crept into the hearts of every man and woman after hearing the war cries.

The villagers gulped and knew that something precarious was coming. Only a fool would not see that something was wrong.

The village’s old men, the old retired soldiers, hoisted themselves up and stared outside their windows. Their old blood had sensed the rising tension drifting in the wind. Their sleeping memories flashed before their eyes as the knight's war cry rose their souls. They took their rusted swords and wore their old army uniforms before rushing out to inform their families of the imminent trouble.

A few villagers even locked up their doors and windows. Some had even told their family members to stay indoors as they waited for the village head’s instructions.

Some brave and curious villagers took a peek at their windows, hoping to know what was happening outside. From their wooden windows, they saw soldiers under the knight rising into arms. They wore plated armors that clanked as they walked towards the knight’s abode. There were swords, bows, arrows, spears, and all other types of weapons on the soldiers’ hands.

“-W-Will there be war?” One of the peeking villagers uttered and swallowed his spit. He had never seen war in his entire life, but in his limited imagination, this was the closest it could be.

The villagers heard the sounds of neighing horses racing towards the house of the lord knight. The infantry followed, rushing like a tide towards the knight’s manor. Soon enough, a small army formed.

The gallops echoing throughout the middle of the night sent tremors to those who heard it.

After a moment of lull, the village warning bells rang. An old white-haired old man appeared, gasping for air as he roamed the village. He ran from house to house with his eldest son in tow to support him.

It was the old village chief. And this time, he brought a piece of disturbing news.

12