Chapter Fifteen – No Time to Waste
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After the giantess left them alone, Curesoon looked over at Tippleglee who was still busy keeping the cauldron on the boil. Though he saw the bard’s questioning look, but the little old man said nothing.

“Why should I help her?” Curesoon asked. However, if he was honest with himself, he had somehow started feeling sorry for the cruel old hag.

Tippleglee rolled his eyes. “There’s nothing for it, lad. She’ll have her way, or you’ll be her next bite to eat. Besides, like she said, ‘Isn’t it more likely that you’ll find your wife traveling out there than boiling in her pot?’”

When the Trollop had said it, it only sounded like a threat, but as his old acquaintance repeated the words, Curesoon could see the clear reasoning in them. He went over to a large stone and sat for a very long time thinking. Then, after a while, he whispered a request to the King of Heaven.

“Please, my King, look down upon the troubles of your servant and give him aid. I know I’m not worthy of your attention, but I also know that your mercy is vast, and I sure need it right now.”

As Curesoon finished praying, the Trollop returned. She took a hunk of horseflesh from the cauldron and ate it with many disgusting sounds of smacking and slurping. As she chewed, Baleful spoke around her food.

“So, ya really do believe in this ‘King of ‘Eaven’ don’t ya?” She scoffed and then added sarcastically, “‘E’s sure watched after ya so far – letting ya fall into my ‘ands.”

Curesoon’s face flushed with the knowledge that the giantess had overheard him praying, and Baleful noticed his anger. She relished this like the half-cooked horseflesh she eagerly swallowed.

“There’s no King in ‘Eaven, there’s no Warrior-Bard with ‘ealin’ blood, and there’s nothin’ but oblivion beyond the grave where we all must go!” Baleful spat out a bone and then chuckled cruelly.

The bard gave no response, and this only made the Trollop roar even louder with laughter. Again, this slowly shifted into yet another fit of coughing.

When the fit had passed, Baleful asked for his answer. “Well, what’d you have: are ya for eatin’ of for questin’?”

At length, Curesoon spoke in a low voice that grew stronger with the speaking. “I know you’re wrong. I know that the King of Heaven sits amid the stars within the unapproachable light, and a rainbow-colored ring encircles the whole of His throne room.

“I know that Eversave was and is the mightiest of all warriors and that he healed the Tree-Glimmering. Therefore, I shall accept your quest to prove it all true.”

“Good!” Baleful exclaimed with a fearful and gapped smile. However, the terrible grin quickly faded as she added in a harsh tone. “But be warned - if ya don’t come back ‘fore a year and a day are spent, I’ll make yar pre’y ‘ome of Eagle’s Peak into a wreck and ruin long before the nothin’ness of death takes me! When I’m done, what I’ve done here will look lovely compared to Eagle’s Peak!”

“A year and a day?!?” Curesoon gasped. “But Ataraxia is half-way around the world!”

The giantess chuckled. “Well, I's guess I's could just eat ya now, and then ya's wouldn't 'ave to worry ya pri'y li'le 'ead 'bout it.

The bard frowned and grumbled, “When do I depart?”

“Oh! Ain't ya proper!” Baleful laughed again and managed to keep her coughing fit to a minimum. When it had passed, she answered, “Well, I s'pose ya be'er make off now since this first day's alrea'y spent.”

“You're counting today?!?” Curesoon was indignant. “That’s not fair!”

“If anythin’ was fair, then I’s s'pose we’d not be talkin’ now,” she reasoned quite soundly.

After a moment of frustrated contemplation, and idea came into Curesoon’s head.

“Well, if you’re going to place such time constraints upon me, I’ll need help to accomplish this quest,” the bard explained. “Why not let your servant Tip…” he caught himself. “Your servant ‘Grumbles’ come with me so that I might have another pair of hands to aid me upon my journey.”

Tippleglee shot a grumpy glance at the bard. He never intended for himself to be roped into this fool’s errand.

Baleful sat quietly and mulled over Curesoon’s words. The long silence was filled only with the sound of her eating, the crackle of the fire, and the pot on the boil.

Finally, the Trollop growled her answer. “This is ol’ Bogra’s li’l’ man – ‘E belongs to me! If ‘e don’t come back with ya, yar family’s lands will be razed all the same.”

“I understand,” the bard said earnestly.

Baleful dismissed Curesoon with a wave of her huge hand. “Be quick!” she commanded with a growl. “I’m no patient woman, and there’s no time to waste.”

Saying nothing in return, the bard marched out into the dark bog.

Tippleglee gathered his thing, gave his mistress a curt bow, and then followed close behind Curesoon grumbling as he came. “Hammers and pegs!”

0