Chapter VI: Assassination Attempt
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"V'zul," Katie said, rubbing his injured arm. "I think we should stop."

It's been three days since the fight. V'zul still rested on his bed and answered phone calls from previous clients. He looked at her and shook his head.

"Katie, we can't stop. Who's going to help these people if we're gone?"

"I know, but…" she stopped and contemplated for a moment. "Look at what it's doing to you. This isn't the first time you've been injured like this."

"I'll be fine." He rolled over and faced the wall opposite of her.

"You're going to get yourself killed!" She raised her voice and stood up. "I can't lose you, V'zul! You're the only human I have."

"So," he replied coldly. "You just want to leave all these people? Leave them all to suffer?"

"V'zul!" she left the bed and crouched in front of him. "We've been doing this for years, and nothing has changed! I know you want to do good for this city and its people. But you can't just throw your life away for this place."

He stood up and pointed at a picture of his parents that sat on his desk. "I made a vow to them that I would protect these people, no matter the cost. I will not turn my back on my promise."

"A foolish promise…"

He turned around and glared at her. "Foolish?"

"Yes, it is! You're going to die for a city that doesn't give a damn about you. I care about you, dammit."

"I care about you, too," he looked back at his frame. "But I can't turn against my promise."

Her face turned red, and her pupils dilated. "To hell with your promise! What about us? Do you wanna die? And leave me alone?"

"I'm done with this conversation." He turned to exit the room, only for her to grab his arms. A sharp pain shot through his arm. He jerked back from her and held his injured arm.

She pressed her hands on her mouth, "Shit! I'm sorry!"

She extended her arms, but V'zul backed out of her reach.

"It's fine. Just– let's just drop this topic for now."

He walked past her and exited the room.

Katie slammed her fist against the wall letting out a low growl. She caught a picture that fell and gently placed it on their bed.

He's going to get himself killed… Fuck! What the hell do I do?

Her phone suddenly vibrated on the desk. She ignored it and buried her face into her palms.

I have to do something.

Her fingers curled, and her nails stabbed into her hands. Another growl left her, followed by her squeezing tighter; the tension shook her arms.

He's going to get himself killed — he's going to die! What do I do? What do I do?

"Katie!" V'zul called from downstairs.

She looked up and released her grip.

"Please, come downstairs."

She wiped the tears from her eyes and looked at her palms.

"Katie!"

I did it again.

She heard footsteps coming up the stairs. V'zul entered the room and stood silently.

"I'm sorry," he said. "I didn't mean to agitate you."

V'zul looked at her hands and saw the blood dripping onto the carpet. He sighed, grabbed her hand, and pulled her in, embracing her.

A warm feeling resonated in their chest; a sense of comfort and safety had temporarily taken over.

"I'm sorry, honey," she said quietly.

V'zul stroked her head and pulled back. He wiped the tears that rolled down her cheek and pulled her head into his chest.

She rested her head on his shoulder and tightened her embrace.

"Please, V'zul. You can't keep doing this."

He gently pressed his finger against her lips and looked into her eyes.

"I know nothing has changed," he looked at his injured arm. "I don't want to leave these people. Who will fight for them?"

She opened her mouth, but nothing came out.

"It's okay. Please. Let your mind settle."

He rubbed her cheek and kissed his wife's forehead. He grabbed Katie's hand, led her downstairs, and gently sat her on the couch; V'zul sat next to her and wrapped his arm around her. He kissed her cheek and cuddled next to her.


Evening came. The sun's golden rays illuminated the interior, and the television played loudly in the background. Loud sizzling and pops came from the stove; Katie stood in front of it, making dinner.

V'zul sat on a chair in the kitchen, waiting for the food. He held his cross and stared at it.

Mother, father, if you can hear me now, please, give me a sign. I don't know what to do. My wife wants me to leave the city and turn my back on these people. I love her with all my heart and want her to feel as happy as she can be. But… I don't know what to do.

Katie looked over her shoulder, "It's almost ready, honey."

He looked up from his cross and gave her a weak smile.

"Thank you, Katie."

There was a sudden knock on the door. Katie turned and stared at the door for a moment. V'zul stood up and opened the front door, being greeted by Avalon. He stood there wearing a large hat and a long velvet coat. He looked at V'zul and grinned.

"What's up, my guy?"

Avalon entered the home and waved at Katie.

"Avalon?" V'zul said. "What are you doing here?"

He leaned back against the wall, "Off duty. Came to pay a visit."

"Well, it's nice to see you again, friend."

They walked into the kitchen and sat down. Katie looked over her shoulder and nodded at Avalon.

"Hope you brought your own food," she said. "I cooked for two."

"It's good, Chief," he responded.

The duo sat and ate dinner while Avalon talked to them. Time passed, and the three of them sat in the living room, still talking as the sun fell. They heard cars stopping in front of the house and doors slamming shut.

Katie glared at the window and looked at V'zul.

"Upstairs, now."

"What?" V'zul questioned. "It's just visitors."

She pointed at the stairs, "Now!"

Avalon walked to the front door and swung it open. Five men in suits stood on the lawn. One of them approached Avalon and removed his hat.

"Hello, sir. Is there anyone by the name of Katie and V'zul here?"

Avalon shrugged and tilted his head. "Nope. Now peace outta here."

He smirked at Avalon and tried to look over his shoulder. "Are you sure?"

"Yep!" he shouted. "Now, piss off!"

Inside the house, Katie was crouched beneath the window, listening to the conversation. Two of her dreadlocks floated. She could see the outlines of the men surrounding the house. She saw the shape of a rifle in their hands.

Who the hell are these guys?

Suddenly, Avalon slammed the door in the man's face and walked away laughing.

"Avalon!" Katie shouted. "Get down!"

He looked at her and raised an eyebrow. "Say what?"

Bullets tore through the walls and windows; the television was broken, and frames fell from the wall — breaking on the floor.

"Shit!" Avalon dove to the ground and covered his head. Katie grabbed Avalon and leaped through the ceiling taking shelter in their bedroom. She frantically looked around for V'zul.

"Honey!" he shouted from inside the closet.

"I'm here, V'zul!"

Avalon was on the phone, shouting at someone.

She ran to her husband and checked him for wounds.

"I'm fine, he said. "What the hell is going on?"

Suddenly, the bullets ceased.

Katie looked through the walls and saw the outlines of the men approaching the front door.

"Stay here," she ordered both of them.

Her claws extended and grew sharper. She walked around the room, aligning herself with one of the men beneath her. Black smoke emitted from her body; a faint sizzling sound could be heard from her, and the black tattoos on her arms glowed with a purple outline.

She phased through the ground and slammed her boots on the man beneath her. His body bent and contorted; crimson blood sprayed all over the carpet.

"Fire!" one of them shouted.

She blitzed around their bullets, severing their arms with her claws. They cried out in pain and held their red stumps. One of them — a demon, grabbed her from behind and slammed her onto the floor.

Another demon sprinted upstairs and kicked open the bedroom door. Avalon's fist struck it in the face, staggering backward from the blow. It regained its composure and took aim.

"Shit!" Avalon shouted as he jumped out of the doorway.

It pursued him into the room and prepared to shoot.

V'zul opened the closet door and threw a cross at its face. The demon shrieked in pain, dropping the gun. Avalon jumped at the gun, grabbed it, and aimed at its thrashing body.

"Wait, Avalon," V'zul said. He grabbed his necklace and touched the rifle. He lowered his head, curled his fingers, and touched his chin with his knuckles, making a quick and quiet prayer. The gun turned silver and glowed.

He pointed, "fire!"

Avalon fired the whole clip, finishing it off.

"Can't kill these things with normal weapons. Only a blessing or the energy they use can do any damage."

Avalon looked at the gun and raised an eyebrow. "Well, shit. The church should just go around blessing people's weapons, so they don't have to hound you."

Katie held the demon that spoke to Avalon in a headlock.

"Who sent you?" she asked coldly.

"I'm not telling you a damn thing," he choked.

She covered his mouth and stabbed into his knee. He widened his eyes, only releasing a muffled shout.

"Being stubborn will do you no favors here. Tell me, or the pain continues."

"Here," V'zul said, coming downstairs. "I'm not one for torture, but we must know this."

He approached the demon and held a cross in front of him. He panicked at the sight of it and thrashed violently in her solid grip.

"Touch him with it," she commanded.

He inched closer to him. The demon thrashed harder until it could go no more.

"I'll tell you!" he said, muffled.

Katie removed her hand from his mouth and slapped him. "Hurry up!"

His eyes didn't look away from the cross as he spoke. "We-we were sent by our boss."

"What?" Katie said.

"You guys are screwed," he laughed. "You're going to have our entire syndicate coming after you.."

She looked at V'zul with confusion. "Syndicate? Boss? What are you going on about?"

"That's all I got for ya. Might as well kill me now; I'm a dead man anyway."

"No," she said. "You're going to spill it — all of it."

She slapped him again, this time clawing at his face. V'zul cringed at the sight of this torture.

"God," the demon said. "Why the hell did it have to be me he sent?" He looked at the cross and sighed. "I don't know the boss, not even what he looks like. We lesser men don't have the 'Luxury.' All I can tell you is he will know of this failure, and he will send more after you. Like I said: you're screwed. Might as well sign your death warra-"

She stabbed her claws into his stomach and covered his mouth again as another muffled scream escaped him.

"Not good enough!" she growled. "I know you know more. You're going to give us every detail, or I will mutilate you, one limb at a damn time!"

V'zul tapped her shoulder, drawing her attention.

"Katie. I think he's telling the truth."

"Bullshit. I know he's holding out on us. Put that cross on his face, then he'll talk."

"I don't know anything!" the demon shouted. "I really don't! Please! Don't put that damn thing on me!"

She pulled her arm back, preparing to run him through. The demon closed his eyes, awaiting his painful death. V'zul suddenly placed the cross on his chest, and the demon disintegrated, scattering onto the floor.

"We weren't done with him!" Katie shouted.

"Look!" V'zul said in an assertive tone. "You need to watch your damn temper! He had nothing else to say!"

She locked eyes with him before looking away. "I'm sorry," she said in a low voice. "V'zul. I don't know what just happened, but we need to leave."

He looked up and saw Avalon slowly coming down the stairs. There was a moment of thought. He knew she was right, and his promise might have to be broken. But a part of him didn't want to let go of the life he built, the career he grew.

"We're leaving the city tonight," she said, breaking his train of thought.

He silently nodded in agreement.

"That was the mafia," Avalon said.

V'zul looked up at him, "You know them?"

"Sure do. Had run-ins with these guys a while back."

"And you never bothered to tell us?" Katie chimed in.

"I thought you would've known. These guys are infamous."

V'zul shook his head, "How come they have any form of power? Shouldn't the police — the government, do anything about it?"

"You're pretty naive if you think those higher in power give a damn about lesser people like us. They make them money, end of story."

"Enough," Katie said. "V'zul. Pack whatever you want. I'll keep it safe in my rift. We're getting outta here."

"Don't worry about me," Avalon said with a smile. "I'll help you get out, but I gotta stay here."


The interior was in chaos. The television was broken, shards of glass were scattered across the ground, and the furniture was ripped. As they went outside, they were flashed by red and blue lights coming from six police cars. They saw their neighbors outside talking to the officers. Some were in front of the house approaching the door. Katie quickly backed into the house, avoiding their sight.

"I'll catch up," she said behind them.

"Avalon," one of the officers said. "What the hell happened here?"

"Go inside and take a look," he said, pointing over his shoulder. "I gotta get this guy outta here."

One of them looked at V'zul with sympathy and stepped past them. The couple's car was destroyed, windows broken, and tires slashed.

Avalon guided him to his car and opened the passenger door. He sat down and ran his hand through his black and brown hair.

The rapid tapping of rain was heard as it assaulted the windshield.

RichardPartner… Mike.

Avalon turned on the vehicle and looked at V'zul, placing a hand on his shoulder. "You're gonna be alright, man. I'm sorry this happened."

The car drove down the road. He looked out the window, watching the shrinking house they once lived in.

As they exited the neighborhood, two black cars sat waiting. They began to follow the car, keeping their headlights off

0