Prologue
61 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Humans are strange.

Even stranger thou are the human brains.

For example, why now, of all the times I remembered that I forgot to take the trash out with me when it’s already too late. It’s not like I can just return and take it out now, can I? So why the heck did I remember this at this moment and not half an hour ago when I got out of the flat? Damn, it’ll probably smell like in a dumpster when I return… If I return.
Sorry landlady.

Or why now, of all times, my brain is in such a supercharged state allowing me to think and process stuff what feels like 100 times faster than normal when I don’t really need it to. I, of course, understand that the body enters this kind of state in critical situations and burning its resources like crazy with the hope of self conservation but I mean, wouldn’t it be better to use this state when say, I am trying to learn some C#? Humans would’ve been so much more productive and effective with their time if they had this ability so why in the heck evolution deemed it unnecessary to give us direct control over our… adrenaline gland? Hypercharged mode? ‘I am invincible and I can do everything’ mode? Don’t know how to call it… Oh, but what evolution gave us plenty of is crippling depression, the desire to procrastinate every damn day and a freaking brain that in its default mode prioritizes the short term rewards over the long term one. As if giving in to laziness today so as to save the internal resources for now only to blow them up the next day in a relatively short burst of adrenaline high when the lion will come looking for some human meat is the best solution out there. How about getting a motivation to expend some resources prematurely to say, craft a spear or find a good shelter so when the lion will inevitably come, you’ll be more than prepared for him, isn’t this better?

Well, thankfully we are living in the 21st century so the lions are not something that we should worry about but if you change the lion part with the final exams or a project deadline-- you get pretty much the same situation. Sigh, so stupid.

Anyway, how much more to wait?

To answer my own question I turn my head ever so slowly to my left.

I must tell you, it’s quite a strange experience to feel every muscle in your body contract at the same time.

Muscles aside thou, as an introvert, I really don’t like being the center of attention and oh boy I feel uncomfortable right now with all of these people staring at me. Well, most of them look with horror on their faces at me while others don’t even seem to care that much, but still, that’s definitely not my thing... Huh, is that guy filming? When the heck did he manage to whip his phone out? Oh well, whatever. Younglings this day.

Hm, I wonder if these fanatics (or maybe just fat trolls) were into something when they were claiming that the truck is something akin to the ferryman Charon from the Greek mythology, you know, the guy that delivers your soul to hell on his boat for the price of a couple of coins after your death, but instead of taking the souls on a one way trip to the year-round hot hell, Mr. Truck-san delivers your soul into a fantasy world.

Yea, no matter how I look at it, it still sounds ridiculous. But I guess I will find out the answer shortly.

As I continue to turn my head to the left, my field of vision is steadily filling up with the metallic exterior of this supposedly magical machine.

Damn, I should've taken the trash out...

0