A Difficult Decision (3)
298 5 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Darkness. I blinked, realizing I had closed my eyes in anticipation of impact. However, by some miracle, I was still standing.

I felt someone holding my arm over their shoulder. I had been saved. From both embarrassment, and a great deal of pain. I looked down to see a familiar sight. Plum-colored hair and bangs, far too long for the average face.

“A-Alice?”

“Are you alright young master?”

I started to feel my face redden. How embarrassing. I had always prided myself on not being a klutz, but I suppose that has been proven wrong today.

I pulled away from her hold and stood in an awkward pose.

“Do not feel ashamed young master. Those stairs give even veteran maids trouble at times.”

Alice… she knew exactly how to make me feel better.

“I’ll ask father to have them replaced,” I chuckled.

Alice gave me a slight smile and walked past me. She began to ascend the same stairs that had almost claimed my life.

“Wait… Alice?”

She stopped instantaneously.

“Yes, Master Kallius?”

She stood still in the center of the sunlit staircase, looking back at me with her head tilted in a questioning manner. I gulped. Why are the women of this house so awe-inspiring?

“Do you… know where Octavia is?”

I could not read her expression, but it was clear from her change in posture that she was disappointed by my response. But why?

“Master Kallius, why are you inquiring about such menial things?”

Hm? It seems like she does not know yet. I had guessed as much; Alice is the type to usually mind her own business.

I explained to her about my leaving, and how father had wanted me to take a maid along.

“So… do not worry all right? You will not need to babysit me any longer,” I said half-jokingly.

Alice’s expressions were always difficult to read, but when she turned her head away, I felt a bitter twinge in my heart.

Silence. Not wanting to make things any more awkward, I climbed the stairwell and tried to make a quick exit. I had reached the last step when I heard a petite voice behind me.

“Master Kallius… you have changed recently.”

WHAT?

I violently turned around. She was not looking at me. The uncertainty of the meaning behind her statement made me even more anxious.

Has Alice realized that I am not the real Kallius? But we have only spoken a handful of times, how could she possibly- oh no. I never even bothered masking my personality since I did not know who the real Kallius was! Am I going to get caught? Just as I was about to leave this place?!

"W-whatever do you mean Alice? I am the same Kallius you have always known!” I stammered nervously.

She lowered her head. Her eyes were now completely covered by her bangs; I could not read her at all anymore.

“It is… not a terrible thing. You are a lot like how you used to be… back then. I even…”

Her voice trailed off.

“Hm? What was that last part, Alice?”

I walked back to the step she was on and leaned down toward her. A scarlet hue. Her face was really red. Standing in the sun must have been difficult, especially in her attire.

“Alice, you are not looking too well. We can talk about this later if you want.”

Please, please say later. I still have not come up with an excuse for my recent behaviour!!!

She suddenly clasped her hands over her face and hurried up the stairs. Before I could say another word, she was gone. Great. Now I will have to find Via on my own…

I went back down to the kitchen area and asked around for the girl. Many maids did not even know who I was talking about. After an exhausting ten minutes of walking around the boiling hot kitchen, I took a seat on one of the side porch areas.

The breeze was cool. I closed my eyes and allowed my hair to flutter in the wind. It was not even midday yet and I was already exhausted…

“Hello?”

I grimaced. Why can’t a guy have a moment’s rest now and then? First, it was Max, then it was Alice…!

What?” I snapped with my eyes still closed.

No response. I realized I might have said that a bit too aggressively, so I opened my eyes. A petrified child: a girl who looked no more than thirteen years old was standing before me. She had short, light brown hair, and her striking green eyes were looking at me with unease. My regretful self immediately took charge.

“Ah! I am sorry if I scared you, little lady! What brings you here, sweetheart?”

I added that last part to seem like a nicer person. I doubt saying this would help though, as it was coming out of the mouth of someone who looked as unsightly as I.

“Um… I heard you were looking for me?” she asked with her voice still trembling.

“Looking…?”

She nodded eagerly. “Yes. My name is Octavia, and I heard Master Kallius was looking for me.”

And just like that, all my questions had been answered. Because it was this single moment of confirmation that told me why she had died. Why she had been targeted.

She had Esotropia. Is that why they hurt her? Really?? What… what an awful reason…

Though my blood boiled at that horrendous realization, I smiled and answered her kindly. I had made my decision.

“You and I will be going on a journey together.”

11