Lady Lila (1)
156 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Master, please stop with the jokes. You promised you would not do this to me again...”

The little girl’s plea went unanswered. This was Octavia’s third attempt in waking up the ‘sleeping beast.’ Or at least, that was the name the other customers of Tater’s Cuisine had unwittingly given Kallius Alistair; son of the renowned genial count. The little maid was now beginning to wonder if her master was not putting on an act, and perhaps truly had fainted.

The troubled girl hopped off her highchair and tiptoed over to Kallius, putting her hand on his back. Deep breaths. She observed her hand lower as he exhaled softly. He held a tired look on his face. However, Octavia was still reluctant to believe that the boy who had cried wolf only an hour ago was genuinely sick this time.

“If Master were in pain, he would have said something, right? Like he did back at the inn!” she rationalized. Little did Octavia know that his lie at the inn was precisely the reason Kallius had not said anything about his condition during their dinner. Because his call for help would have been perceived as yet another lie.

“Hey! What are you doing you brat?!”

Octavia flinched and quickly removed her hand from Kallius’s back. The owner of Tater’s Cuisine was standing dauntingly over her small frame, glaring as if he had seen a cockroach upon his clean floors.

“You! What are you doing bothering my esteemed customer?!”

Octavia squeezed her right palm nervously. She knew of these kinds of people very well. The kind that judged her solely upon her status. She knew he was not looking to be disproven by asking her that question. It was evident that he would not believe her even if she told him she and Kallius had come in together.

So, Octavia’s eyes wavered to the next best solution. A young boy was standing timidly by the counter behind the owner. He was the only other person who could vouch for her. The waiter who had served her and Kallius earlier that evening. But to her dismay, once they made eye contact, the boy took one look at his furious boss and shamefully turned his back on the scene. Octavia stammered but stood her ground. She would have to fight this battle alone, but it was for the sake of her defenceless master she thought.

“S- sir! As you can see, there are plates and utensils on the table belonging to two people. My master and I were simply dining here together. You can confirm this with him once he-”

“HA! You expect me to believe that a noble would allow his dirty maid to dine with him?! I would have been more likely to believe you were trying to slip something into my customer’s meal! Hey! You did not do something to him did you?!”

Octavia could only stare at the man in disbelief. “Why would he think such a terrible thing about me?!” she thought. She made another attempt at negotiation.

“No! He was already showing signs of sickness before I approached him! I was just checking if he was alright- eek!

As Octavia tried refuting the allegations made against her, the owner suddenly grabbed her by the arm and lifted her into the air.

“Stop!! What are you doing?! Let me down, please!” she cried frantically.

“Not only did you attempt to interrupt my customer’s meal, but now you dare accuse my dishes of causing sickness?! Ugh! Pests like you should stay in Ebuna’s gutters where they belong!” spat the owner.

“What…?! No, that is not what I said!” cried Octavia in shock.

She tried wriggling out of his grasp, but it was impossible, as her kicking feet could not even touch the floor from the height she was being held at.

Octavia let out a scream. Not for herself, but because she began to realize that her unconscious master was slowly disappearing from her sight. Her cries fell upon deaf ears, and the brutish owner dragged her outside the establishment like a rag doll.

“Ah! Ow!”

He opened the door and violently shoved her onto the sidewalk. Octavia could not stop herself from tripping under the great force of his push. Bang! The door was shut firmly behind her, and Octavia found herself sitting alone near the embankment.

“No…! Master Kallius! He is still in there! I was assigned to watch over him; I must find a way back inside!” she thought in despair.

But the cunning owner had ensured that Octavia would not have a way back inside. Tired and hurt, Octavia decided to wait on the restaurant steps until Kallius woke up. Five minutes passed. Then ten. She began to feel the cold evening winds engulf her stationary body. She shivered and began to wonder if she could be doing something more to help her master.

“No. I am certain that man has already called for a doctor for Master Kallius. Maybe… it will be all right if I go wait in a warmer place then,” she reasoned with herself.

However, that was a naïve wish, as the owner had no plans to tarnish his restaurant’s name by letting it slip that someone had fallen ill due to his food.

But Octavia did not know this. So, she stood up with optimism and slowly made her way into the heart of the east.

6