Between Marble and Gold (2)
133 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She threw me a questioning look. Even I surprised myself by saying something so unexpected. Was this really how I felt? I took a closer look at her.

It was true. So what if her eye was a little inward? In a way, it had its own appeal. And looking beyond that, she was still incredibly cute. Plus, even if she was not, her kind heart was likely the reason I had said I found her beautiful. Devon may have had the looks, but her constant belittling really put me off. I will not tell Via that part though. I’d rather not put another girl down just to make someone else feel better.

“But what matters most is not what I or other people think,” I continued. “It is what you believe to be beautiful. And if you also think you are, then…”

I stood up and extended my hand.

“That is the fact that will remain,” I smiled.

She gave me a small smile and accepted my hand. I think that did it.

“I’m sorry I kept you out here in the cold for so long,” she said with warm breath escaping her lips.

Cold? She had been talking quite a lot about the cold, but I did not understand what she was referring to. The temperature was quite all right. The winters in my past life were much, much worse than this.

“Ah, I did not realize you were cold. Let us go to that bakery over there,” I gestured to the only lit building I could see in the distance.

But Octavia did not move. And I knew why.

“Nothing will happen,” I assured her. “I am here with you, aren’t I? Now hop on.”

I kneeled and allowed her to climb onto my back, which she did.

“This is so much easier than when I carried Max.” I thought as I began the saunter. “I think I’m getting better at this carrying thing…!”

We made the slow walk to the bakery. It felt like I was carrying a freezer. I could not believe I hadn’t noticed how cold she had become.

“You are so warm,” said Octavia as she hugged my back. “This is quite nice. It is like hugging a big bear. Like mama bear!”

I nearly laughed aloud. I suppose I will accept that title… for now. Once I get my hands on those bastards, I’ll prove to her that I truly deserve to be called mama bear!

I grinned with malice while she smiled in comfort. With two, polar opposite thoughts running through our heads, we made our way to the last bakery on the street.

As we approached the shop, a lady who was dressed as if she had just finished a shift emerged from the door.

“Pardon me good sir, but I’m afraid we are done for the day,” she said curtly. She looked like she had had a long day. But so did we, and I was not currently in the mood to empathize with anyone besides Octavia.

“Keep it open,” I said in an authoritative voice.

I glanced at Octavia and she immediately knew my intentions. She slipped her hand into my coat pocket and took out a gold piece. The lady made an audible gasp when she saw the coin. Even Octavia seemed shocked by the amount she was holding. She gave me a worried look as if to say, “That is far too much master!” but I insisted. She made a face but eventually handed the coin over to the lady from above my head.

“Ah! Do come in then,” said the lady, now beaming at us warmly. That single coin was probably worth more than her entire month’s salary. But the money was not just so she would keep the shop open, and she knew that. I absolutely did not want a repeat of Tater’s Cuisine…

I helped Octavia onto their lounge set.

“Make sure you order as much as you want. I do not want to have paid her in gold for nothing,” I whispered with a wink.

“And you…”

“Yes, sir!” said the lady as she snapped back into reality.

“Find my sister some new clothes and treat her scrapes. I shall be gone for a little while.”

“Of course! Leave it to me!”

She hurried away into the back of the bakery. Octavia and I watched until she disappeared from our sight.

“Why did you call me that master?”

“So that she knows the consequences of mistreating you. Please, just put up with this act until I return,” I replied softly.

“Where are you going?”

“Just some sightseeing,” I said automatically. And with that, I headed for the door.

“Wait!”

Hm?

I stopped before exiting the bakery. Octavia was standing across from me on the other side of the room.

“Thank you for… everything you did… Kallius,” she squeaked out in an embarrassed tone.

Astonished, I could only let out a single laugh. Ha! If only I had known earlier that a mere act was all it took to have her say my name.

I waved goodbye and so did she, still hiding her face out of embarrassment. I did not find her statement embarrassing. Because for the first time, I felt like I was not just some character in a novel.

9