Imposter (1)
105 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“All aboard!”

“Wait! Just one more minute, I’m sure she’ll be here soon!”

“I’m sorry sir, but we cannot delay the ferry any longer. The other passengers are beginning to ask us questions. Perhaps you can take the ferry scheduled for next week?”

I stared at the stevedore in desperation.

Tch… I can’t believe this is happening! Octavia had run off somewhere an hour before our ship to Wisteria was set to depart. She just said she had forgotten something and left me by the docks. I had my hands tied with our luggage at the time and couldn’t run after her. This girl… she’s going to give me a heart attack one of these days! 

“Half a minute then! Please…!” I begged the confused man.

I spun around and scanned the docks again. Strange. There was no one noteworthy there, but I could feel the gazes of multiple people on me. Perhaps it was just the impatient passengers eyeing me from the cabin windows.

“That’s enough!” voiced the angry stevedore as he grabbed me by the shoulder.

But before I could calm him down, I heard a familiar cry in the distance.

“Kallius!!”

I frantically faced the source of the voice. A little poppy was running in my direction from the end of the docks. Octavia waved at me with one arm as she carried a small basket in the other.

“Via!” I cried out in annoyance. “Hurry up, the ferry is about to leave!!”

The moment she got close enough, I grabbed her hand and ran up the gangway as quickly as possible. Despite being half-dragged, she was giggling behind me as we went.

“Don’t worry, little Via,” I grimaced with sweat dripping down my face. “I’ll scold you properly once we have boarded.”

The captain watched as we stepped onto the deck and gave a disapproving shake of the head. I bowed my head apologetically and exited the deck area. Just before we entered the ship, I took one last look down at the docks we were once on. I still couldn’t shake the feeling that we were being watched.

“Pardon me, sir. Do you happen to know where that ferry is headed?”

A fisherman who had come to pick up his supplies from the incoming cargo ships was startled. A hooded figure had emerged from the shadows of the buildings behind him.

“Oh that?” said the fisherman as he set down his shipping container. “It’s dropping passengers down Ebuna till the port city.”

The stranger nodded.

“Wisteria, I see. Thank you for the information.”

Just as the fisherman was about to respond with a “No problem,” the hooded individual slipped into the crowd of people bustling by, disappearing without a trace.

***

We were now in my first-class cabin, sitting on a bed more luxurious than anything I had ever seen. The bedding was made of soft, white linen. Seems like Father had ensured I would get one of the best accommodations on the next ferry to Wisteria. Which, by the way, we nearly missed! I crossed my legs, preparing myself to hear Octavia out.

“Now tell me. Where did you run off to? And why on earth are you wearing that?” I pointed in confusion.

Octavia was wearing an eyepatch like the ones pirates wore in books. Was she trying to play the captain of the ship or something?

“Oh, this?” she grinned. “I noticed people became a lot nicer to me when they don’t see my bad eye. I want to wear this when I go out on my own from now on.”

I was speechless. I thought I had taught Octavia something meaningful yesterday, but it seems like we’re back to square one.

“Via…” I groaned as I rubbed my eyes. “You’re blinding yourself by wearing that you know. Just take it off, okay?”

But my words had no effect. She huffed and stood up from the bed, heading towards the door.

“Where are you going?”

With a slight frown, she swung it open.

“Unless that’s an order from a master to his servant, I’m not listening to you,” she answered quietly. 

I held my tongue. My guilt from yesterday began to surface again. With a bitter twinge in my heart, I watched as she left the cabin and headed for her room.

Ha… I suppose she’ll come too when the time is right. The atrocities she endured yesterday can’t be erased in a single night. I won’t pester her about it too hard. If she wants to hide her eye, then so be it. She even hid it from me, so I suppose this behaviour should have been expected.

Suddenly, a wave of exhaustion hit me, and I fell backward onto the bed I was sitting on. 

“Ahh…”

From the corner of my eye, I could see the reed basket Octavia had brought with her. I lazily reached into it. Let's see what the “oh-so-important thing” was that caused her to delay the ferry.

I felt a crinkle. A packet? 

I raised the paper bag out of the basket and up above me. ‘Instant nausea and motion sickness relief’ it read. I made a crooked smile. She must have remembered the rough time I had on the last ferry. Silly Via. Doesn’t she know this cruise is different? The attendants offer seasickness medicine to all the passengers on board.

I rolled over and covered my eyes with the packet. I hadn’t slept at all the previous night. After the fight, Octavia and I went around distributing the dozens of loaves of bread she had bought to half the homeless population in the city! Or at least… that’s how I felt. And after that, I stayed up even longer writing a complaint about Tater’s Cuisine to City Hall under house Alistair’s seal. The place will likely be torn down by the next time we visit the capital.

I let out a heavy sigh. I… really don’t like abusing my power like this. So many people will lose their jobs because of me. And the complaint itself was a fabricated one too. It was about the food making me sick, not about what the owner did to Via…

I shook my head quickly.

I don’t know. I don’t know if I did the right thing. And I’m not strong enough to spend time wondering if I did. What’s done is done. Let’s think about something else. Oh, right!

My mind wandered to the most eventful hour of my life so far. The fight in the plaza against the Lost Prince. I did some brave things. Some very stupid things. I resorted to violence, which brought me down to that scumbag’s level. That, I do regret. Ah, and I also said some embarrassing things…

“Ugh…”

I groaned and buried my head into a nearby pillow. I could feel my ears redden as I remembered what I had told Octavia in the alleyway. “I find you to be the most beautiful girl I have ever met?” Seriously?? Couldn’t I have said something more empowering?

I was boiling. Wanting to hide, I curled up into a tighter ball of embarrassment when I felt a sharp pain in my neck.

“Ack…!”

Wincing, I raised my other hand and lightly wrapped my fingers around my throat. Souza. She had done a number on my neck. Thankfully I managed to notice the bruising this morning and wore a cravat to hide it from Octavia. I couldn’t even swallow breakfast without grimacing in pain. I do wish I could tell her, but I’m afraid of what she’ll think of me if I reveal the truth. Would she justify fighting fire with fire as I did? I don’t know…

With a heavy heart, I closed my eyes. Let’s just try to get some rest. Regardless of whether my actions were justified or not, I think I deserve this much…

5