Extra: The Sunrise
977 25 56
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hey, so for those wondering, I had the idea for this little chapter after I'd already come up with the epilogue. It's not integral to the story or anything, but I wanted to write it, so I tacked it on as an "extra" chapter. Frankly, I just wanted to write more of Sophie and Anna doing cute couple stuff >///<

Anyway, enjoy!

-Extra: The Sunrise-

Plenty of couples have their 'special things.' Maybe it'll be a song that really resonates with both of them, or a place where they spent a lot of time together, and they'll make it 'their song' or 'their spot.' Anna and I have some of those, but there's one that stands out to me. It's a special thing that means so much to both of us.

It happened about a year after Anna and I started going out. It was October. I remember that for sure, because I wanted to get into the spirit of the spooky season by playing some horror games, and that's how it started. I had worked a morning shift that day, so I was by myself in the apartment during the afternoon while Anna had class. I did some chores and ate lunch when I got back, before sitting down in the living room to play some video games and unwind. A few hours later, Anna came home. I got up and greeted her with a hug and a quick kiss, and we asked each other about our respective days. 

She went to the bedroom to put her stuff down and get undressed or whatever, and I went back to the couch and my game, putting my headphones back on. A few minutes later, she came back into the room with a laptop and sat on the loveseat. I casually asked what she was gonna do.

"I'm just gonna finish up a paper I have due for midterms," she answered. "I thought I'd work on it in here."

"You're sure I'm not gonna distract you or anything?"

"Yeah, it's fine! I actually concentrate better when I'm with you."

"Awww, babe!" I said in a playfully condescending tone.

Anna stuck her tongue out at me, and I laughed, which made her laugh in turn, before she got to typing away. I put my headphones on and got back to my 'business.' Yeah, seeing her working so hard on her degree was one of the things that got me wanting to go back to school. I don't know if I'd say I felt guilty, but it was something like that. Of course, it still took me ages to settle on a degree, but I digress.

After a few minutes of working on her paper, Anna glanced at whatever unsettling scene was playing out in the game on the TV, and remarked;

"Ugh. I friggin' hate those kinds of games."

This wasn't news to me, but I still cocked an eyebrow at her;

"But you never scare easily!"

"Yeah, but that stuff freaks me out!"

"Heh, well, no one says you've gotta play them. I enjoy them, so I'm gonna keep playing."

"Aww, my brave little Sophie."

"I'm ever so unflappable~"

"Pffff, of course you are…" she scoffed at my plainly untrue remark before returning her attention to her paper.

It was weird. We were usually the opposite. Contrary to my quip, I scare very easily. I usually have an overly active imagination. All it takes is hearing a particularly scary story or watching a scary movie to get me keyed up. After that, for, like, a day and a half, I'll find myself jumping at my own shadow. Whenever there's a bump in the night, I pull the covers over my head, like that'll somehow protect me from whatever boogeyman my imagination conjures up. 

Yet, despite all that, video games almost never got to me. Sure, I'd be startled by jumpscares, but they'd never really get into my head. I thought about it, and the best explanation I could come up with as to why was that video games are inherently simple. The real world is vast and complex, and operates well beyond the scope of my comprehension. Video game worlds, on the other hand, operate within a much smaller set of clearly defined rules. Because of that, if I understood those rules, they couldn't really surprise me. I knew more or less everything that could happen, so I never felt truly vulnerable like I do in real life.

Anna, however, was the complete opposite. She could watch the most fucked up, terrifying movie, or hear a bone chilling story, and be completely unfazed. Every spooky sound or weird happening would just roll over her like water off a duck's back. 'Monsters aren't real,' was her explanation for why she wasn't scared by stuff like that, and, yeah, I know she's right, but that's never stopped my imagination from running wild!

Meanwhile, she could not do scary games. Whenever she tried to play one, she'd pass the controller off in less than five minutes, without fail. It didn't matter what kind of game it was, if the atmosphere was too creepy, she'd drop it in a flash. When I asked her why, she'd say it was because they felt too real. Because her character was actually in danger, it made her feel like she was somehow vulnerable. When I explained to her that it was just a game, and none of it was real, it had the same effect as her telling me monsters aren't real. So, needless to say, she wasn't a fan of the horror game genre.

I was thinking about our unusual dichotomy as I played. Then, I had an idea. I let Anna work, and kept playing for a few minutes as I concocted my scheme. Eventually, I took off my headphones, and took my shot;

"Hey Anna, how much longer do you think you're gonna be working on your paper…?"

"I'm actually almost done, sooo… probably just a couple more minutes. Why?"

"Because, I've got a challenge for you."

"Ohh??" she inquired, her ears pricking up. Anna is, as you may have guessed, not the type to shy away from a challenge.

"I was thinking…" I began to explain, "how about this? If you can play this game for an hour straight without freaking out, I'll fulfill any one request you make of me."

I paused for a second before adding, 

"Within reason!" 

I felt the need to stress that with her.

"Soo…" she chimed, "you're saying you wouldn't let me dress up like a witch and parade you around in a skimpy cat costume?"

"Well… not in public…" I admitted, blushing.

"Wait… You'd actually do that with me?! The role play thing??"

"Uh…" I mumbled, trying to think of something sexy to say. "M-meow…?"

Anna burst out belly laughing. A swing and a miss. She laughed at that for a good while, much to my chagrin.

"Oh god…!" she sighed, finally composing herself. "This is so happening… ahh…" 

I blushed, anxiously trying to hide my obvious anticipation. Despite my embarrassment, I was very down for that.

"But, uh, seriously, there was something kinda big I wanted to do with you."

"Yeah? What is it?"

"How about…" she replied, "I'll tell you when I beat your silly challenge?"

"Hrrrm…" I pouted. Always leaving me in suspense. "Alright…"

"So, what's your metric for me 'freaking out?'"

"I dunno… Screaming, jumping, or quitting the game?"

"Alright, Sophie Fuller, you're on!" she announced confidently.

We were both eager to see this play out. About five minutes later, Anna finished her paper, and asked me to proofread it later, which I gladly agreed to. She left to put her laptop away, and I got up to unplug my headphones and shut the blinds. I even went to the trouble of lighting a couple candles. Gotta have the right ambiance, after all. She came back into the room, teased me about the candles, and sat down on the couch next to me, a mixture of excitement and nervousness playing out on her face. With an impish grin, I handed her the controller.

The next hour was… entertaining. I could see why people watched horror movies with their partners (as Anna had done with me in the past.) After about five minutes, Anna effectively glued herself to my side, where she remained for the next fifty-five minutes. Every time something startling would happen, she'd shout or maybe swear and press herself closer to me. There was a lot of cursing, and asking "What the fuck was that?!" or "What the fuck do I do?!" At some scares, she'd muffle a shriek by burying her face in my shoulder and look away from the screen, and I'd just pat her head before returning her to her torment (I'm not an awful person, I swear.) Sometimes, I'd chuckle at her reactions, which would inevitably be followed by some whining and a quick scowl or elbow in the side. 

Still, getting to see my confident, fearless girlfriend so scared and clingy was worth it. She was being adorable, and it made me feel weirdly empowered. Probably because I was usually the one scared shitless. And, despite jumping and yelling plenty of times, after an hour, Anna had beaten my challenge. She'd been a good sport, and I wasn't gonna be an ass and pretend otherwise. When the time was up, I gave Anna a pat on the head and congratulated her. She called me a jerk and buried her face in my chest, and I hugged her and apologized for messing with her. I took the controller and shut the game off, standing in front of the TV as I asked,

"Hey, you did great! So, what is it you wanted to do with me??"

Anna took a deep breath, finally starting to relax after being on edge for the entire last sixty minutes.

"Well… back during my undergrad, whenever I'd get really stressed out, I would set aside some time to go hike to the top of Multnomah Falls. Aaaaaand… I wanted to go do that with you."

"Hey, that sounds really nice! We can make it a day trip! That's not a big ask at all!"

"Yeah, but…" she said, shifting in her seat a bit, "I kinda wanted to go really early in the morning. To watch the sunrise. So… we'd have to leave in the middle of the night…"

"Oh…" I replied, failing to hide the sudden shift in my affect.

"I-it's not a big deal, or anything!" Anna said, unconvincingly. "We don't have to do it! We could go later, o-or do something else! It's fine, really…!"

"No, it's not a problem! Sure, getting up's a bit of a pain, but this is something you want to do. It's clearly important to you. Am I wrong?"

"Well…" she mumbled, avoiding eye contact.

"Then it's settled! We're doing this!"

"Sophie… you really don't have to if it's too much…"

"Hey, it's not! Seriously! You just sat through an hour of torture for my amusement, and I said I'd do whatever you wanted! I don't mind waking up in the middle of the night and driving for a while if it's for you."

Anna smiled warmly, standing up and hugging me;

"Thank you, sweetie… I really appreciate it…"

I put my arms atop her shoulders, hugging her neck, and gave her a quick kiss;

"Anything for you~"

As we seperated, she added,

"Oh, and it wasn't torture! I… actually kind of enjoyed it, honestly…"

"Soooo, you'd do it again?"

"Not anytime soon, but maybe. Maybe."

I giggled and gave her a peck on the cheek. She really is a good sport.

So, that night after dinner, we planned out our day trip. In a couple weeks, Anna would be on fall break, and I was gonna have a few days off work. So, we would go on a Monday, hoping that between going on a weekday and getting there before sun up would mean fewer people. The plan was to hike the falls in the morning, and then spend the day in Portland before driving back later that afternoon. I would handle the drive out, and Anna would take us home. We reserved the parking pass that night, and marked the date on the calendar. Anna spent the next two weeks eagerly anticipating the trip, and, despite dreading driving for two hours in the middle of the night, I found her enthusiasm quite infectious.

The night before we left, we went to bed around 8:00 pm. Being the night owl that I am, I think I only got around two and a half, maybe three hours sleep. We got up at a quarter to three in the morning. Or, at least, Anna got up, and I unceremoniously flopped out of bed with all the elegance of a beached whale. I knew my bladder wouldn't thank me, but I downed a cup of coffee, and poured another into a thermos for the road. Better to have to pee than fall asleep doing 80 mph on the freeway, after all. 

The autumn weather and chilly night conspired to drop the temperature well past the point of bearably cold into the realm of 'it hurts to breathe.' Between the frigid temperature and the fact that we were going to be hiking up the side of a cliff, Anna and I piled on layers. I put on a sweater under a lined jacket, leggings under sweatpants, and wool socks under a pair of hiking boots, and, at 3:30 am, Anna and I left our apartment and began the 165 mile drive to the falls.

Normally, I hated driving on the freeway, but the lack of traffic owing to us going in the middle of the night made for a much more peaceful ride than I had been expecting. Anna and I talked and joked on the way, and she DJ-ed while I drove and nursed my second coffee. The journey was a pleasant one, and spending the drive talking with Anna and listening to her music honestly made the part of the trip I'd been dreading the most genuinely enjoyable. By the time we got there, the clock read 5:27, and there were only a couple other cars in the parking lot. The sun was just beginning to peek over the horizon, and a thin layer of fog hung over the valley. And it was freezing cold.

The hike was a 700 foot climb, coming in at about two miles. Now, I'm not exactly the most physically fit person in the world, but Anna assured me it sounded worse than it actually was. It wasn't so bad at the start. While it was a bit hard to see in the dim morning light, the whole trail was paved, save for a little bit at the end, and we made good progress, stopping every 15 minutes or so to rest for a second before continuing our ascent. We passed a couple on their way down, but aside from them, we didn't see anyone else. About halfway through the trek, I started getting a bit tired. My lack of sleep was bad enough, but the cold was what kept really bothering me. But, Anna seemed fine, and was in high spirits, and this was her trip, after all, so I opted to keep my complaints to myself. 

At least I did at that point. About thirty minutes later, however, my muscles ached, and the frigid air made it feel like I was breathing in shards of glass. It was starting to get to me;

"Hey, Anna! Are we almost to the top? I'm tired, my legs hurt, and it's fucking freezing!"

She turned around and offered an apologetic smile;

"Yes, I promise! It's not much farther, just hang in there!"

I nodded and grumbled a bit to myself. A sleep deprived and cold Sophie is not a happy camper. We reached the unpaved section of the trail, and that only made things worse. After a few minutes, I was just about to start bitching again when I heard the sound of running water grow louder, and the observation deck at the edge of the falls came into view.

As I stepped up to the edge of the platform, I heard myself audibly gasp. The vista before me was like something out of a romanticist landscape scene. The pale morning sun cast its warm glow over the river valley below. A fine mist hung over the water and highway, partly obscuring the occasional car or semi driving past in the early morning hour. The sea of trees extending off into the horizon were an assorted mix of greens and oranges, almost glowing in the soft light. The broad, winding river reflected the sun's rays, shimmering faintly beneath the thin blanket of fog. Everything below mixed into an ocean of colors; rich greens and golds, soft pinks and grays, and dark blues and browns. The smattering of shades were blurred by the mist and the faintness of the light, giving the whole scene a visual quality not unlike that of an impressionist painting.

The view was vast and complex and gorgeous. It was too much to take in all at once, and could only be fully appreciated by focusing on one aspect at a time. Suddenly, my legs didn't hurt so much, and I wasn't quite so tired and cold. I found myself speechless, staring in silence at the natural beauty and splendor unfolding before me. And, entranced by the awe inspiring view, I felt a hand grasp mine, fingers lacing together. Glancing over to my right, I saw Anna. She was looking at me, her loving, angelic smile illuminated by the gentle light of the rising sun. She squeezed my palm, pulling me close before looking back out over the valley. Her voice was quiet and peaceful, almost inaudible over the sound of the falls, yet I could still hear her clearly;

"Once, back during my freshman year, I was swamped with work, feeling overwhelmed and depressed. I'd been up all night working on a paper, and I decided I needed to get out and do something to relax. So, I thought I'd come here. I drove up in the middle of the night, and I was tired, and I felt awful, but the hike helped me clear my mind. And then, come sunrise, I reached the top, and saw a sight like this one."

I returned my gaze to the valley, still listening to her story;

"When I saw this… I don't know, it was like all my troubles disappeared. Even if it was only for a moment, I felt so utterly at peace. It was so beautiful, and it made me feel so… alive. So, every few months after that, whenever I'd feel hopeless or stressed, I'd come here and watch as the sun rose up over the horizon. It helped me reset. Balance myself. Like, everything else fell away, and all that mattered was being here, and breathing in the fresh air, and taking in the sights around me. And… I made myself a promise. I promised myself that, someday, I'd come up here with someone precious to me. I wanted to take the person I cherished the most, and watch that same sunrise with them. I wanted to share this with the person I loved. And now, thanks to you, I finally have…"

And, I smiled, teary eyed, and leaned my head against Anna's shoulder, whispering to her;

"Thank you… Thank you for sharing this with me… For loving me… Thank you for being my sunshine~"

Anna turned to face me, grinning merrily and gently poking my cheek;

"Hehe… There's my cute little poet~"

I found myself blushing shyly, though I wasn't really embarrassed. I was just happy. I was happy to be here, with Anna. I was happy she'd shared something special with me. That she loved me, and my sappy metaphors. I was happy that she loved me just for being me, and that I meant as much to her as she did to me.

And she kissed me. She wrapped her other arm around my waist and pulled me close, her lips warm despite the cold. We held each other, alone atop the waterfall. We were surrounded by such profound beauty, standing at its epicenter. And yet, despite all the beauty and majesty around us, Anna stood out to me as the most beautiful thing of all.

And, after our lips parted, we stood, hands still laced together, and looked back out over the valley. We stood there for a long while, alone on top of the falls in our own little paradise. We watched as the sun came up, and the colors shifted, and the world around us slowly came to life to begin a new day. And, after that day, every now and then, when our schedules allowed it, Anna and I would drive back down to Multnomah Falls, and watch that scene play out. It became a sort of tradition of ours. We would watch that sunrise together. Our special sunrise.

56