Ch 4
50 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Seong thought that enough time has passed, he could move around freely on his own and he planted a seed to start clearing up his reputation. 

He tapped on the glass table,’Han Seong is already registered within the Hunter Association by now… But I want to start anew, a completely different identity because of the stares I get when I’m out normally.’

He didn’t want to bring attention to himself, he needed an unsuspecting identity. He turned to his right, Do-Young endlessly talked about one show.

“Do-Young?”

“And this- ah? Hm?” 

“What kind of look do you think best suits me?”

Do-Young had a blank look on his face, the employees eavesdropped on the conversation,”Umm… A cool one, you’ve got the face for it.”

‘What is that supposed to mean?’ Seong cocked a brow,”What’s the complete opposite of cool then?”

“Hmm… I don’t know, are you trying for a new style?”

One of the employees in the background hollered,”Try asking Ha-Eun, she’s got a sense of fashion!”

“Really?” Seong put his arm over the couch,  staring at the waitress. 

“Uh- Um. I was into designing clothes a while back, but… I don’t think I’m very good at it.” She stuttered because all of the attention was placed on her.

“What do you mean? Everyone complimented the outfit you gave me the other day, they said it was amazing!”

“You’ve got a great sense of humility.” Seong laughed, Ha-Eun was usually very self-centered and haughty, to think she could be humble like this.

Ha-Eun stuttered as she tried to cover her face, her ears were a tinge of pink,”I-I… It depends on where you’re going.”

“Oh, just to go out. I’d like to show off your outfit if I could.” 

“Th-Then, Do-Young hyung’s suggestion is good.”

“But I also want to try something new.”

Ha-Eun put down her hands, her face changed completely as she contemplated, she looked like a professor grading paper work—in other words, a professional. 

“You wanted something opposite of cool?” She looked up at Seong.

“Yeah.”

“Then I think a cute style would look good on you.” She started analyzing Seong’s face, thinking of what outfits to put together.

“Eh? That’s a good idea!” Seong’s eyes grew big.

“Ah, it’s nothing but a suggestion though!” 

“No, it was great. Let’s go!” Seong got up and headed to his room.

“Wh-What?”

Seong stopped to look at them all,”I’ll pay, don’t worry. Let’s go shopping.” Then he continued.

The employees looked at each other stunned, but also secretly excited to spend some money to their content. 

***

Seong looked up, pulling his mask down slightly to breathe,”Fuu…”

“Seong, where would you like to go?” Ha-Eun tapped Seong on the shoulder, he had to cover his visuals because of his infamous status.

“Do you have any good suggestions?”

“Hmm, maybe that store over there?”

Seong and Ha-Eun went through the store’s doors, immediately, a fuzzy warm scent grazed Seong’s nose. 

“Hahhh…I love this place.” Ha-Eun had her arms out, taking in the scent. 

She then pointed to clothes that fit Seong’s category, trying them on him, and put them around her arm. She was truly ecstatic.

Seong would’ve praised her, but she was just in it for herself, being a shopping maniac. 

***

Seong tried multiple outfits, they were pretty outstanding and looked good on him. But one thing bothered Seong, he felt like his face and hair didn’t match the outfits, it felt too…Out of place. 

Seong finished purchasing the outfits, Ha-Eun rejoined the other employees, eating the food they bought. Seong walked over and asked,

“What do you think of the word innocent, what comes to mind?”

They cocked their heads, wondering why Seong was asking such weird questions.

“Hm, an angel?”

“Yeah, yeah, but a puppy too.

“I think of pale or pastel colors, it’s known that white lilies mean purity!”

“I think of Dae-Jung.” Kim Hyun followed behind Seong along with Dae-Jung. 

“Huh?” Dae-Jung tilted his head, Seong thought the same way too.

“She just thinks you’re cute.” Seong patted him on the back.

“Thanks for the info.” Seong waved at them, walking to a store that he saw on the way down.

“Seong-nim.” Kim Hyun latched onto Seong,”Is there something else you want?” 

“Yeah, I’m going to get it myself. So don’t come with me.” 

“…Then at least leave these bags for me to carry.” 

***

Seong walked through the doors, there was a crowd talking about their favorite characters and hunters, and there were exaggerated-fantasy-type clothes too. 

Now where did Seong go? A cosplay store, it had everything he needed.

“Hello, do you need help with anything?”

“Oh, actually, I’m looking for something that can change the color of my hair and eyes.”

“Ok sir, follow me.”

The staff brought Seong to a jewelry section,”Pick out any that you want, and we can implement the color. Just come to the front.”

“Ok, thank you.” Seong looked at the jewelry curiously, he wanted one that would be kept out of his way of hunting. 

He picked up some black studs and a pastel purple-jewel attachment, Seong gave them to one of the staffs,

“What do you want the earrings to change?”

“I want it to change my hair to white.”

“And this jewel?”

“Same color as the jewel, maybe a little lighter, and I want it done to my eyes.”

The staff used a machine which implemented mana into the jewelry, enchanting them with a golden sheen.

“It’s going take about two minutes, is that ok?”

“Of course.”

“That’s great, anyway, you must be really rich. Not many people can just buy these.”

“Is it?.. How much would it be?”

“Oh, you didn’t know? Together, it’d be 172 million won. If you want to back out, now’s the time.” The staff laughed at his own joke.

“Oh, I see.” However, Seong was powerfully rich, he had enough for that, but he couldn’t stop himself from shaking. 

‘That much just for some pieces of jewelry?!’ 

“Oh? I shouldn’t have doubted you.” Seong gave the staff his card, purchasing the jewelry and leaving the store. 

***

After Seong came back, everyone decided that was it for today. They drove back to the mansion and tried out the different foods they brought home. Seong excused himself from the buffet, going to his room to try on his jewelry. 

He stood in front of the mirror and put in the studs, his hair inverted itself, turning completely white. Seong excitedly took off his left stud to put the purple attachment on, and his eyes altered into a pale purple color. 

‘Hoh, this really looks real.” He played with his hair, then he grabbed his bag of clothes and tried on one of the outfits again. 

‘Ha! This looks way better!’ He shifted his hair into a more cute style, though it was a little long, it didn’t affect the outfit too much. But this pale look made him look like a completely new person!

Seong took everything off and laid in his bed,‘Tomorrow, everything starts tomorrow.” Indeed, that’s when his adventure starts.

***

Seong woke up early, he put on his regular clothes and packed the clothes he bought in a bag, making sure the earrings were there too. He hurried out the door and found Kim Hyun coming back with her hands bloodied.

“Hm? Seong-nim? Where are you going?”

“Uh- I’m going to the Hunter Association.” 

“I see, I need to wash my hands, I’ll go get Dae-Jung too.”

“I’ll be in the car.”

He needed directions anyway.

***

“Stop here.” Seong put on his mask and hat.

“But, we haven’t reached the destination yet, it’s just up ahead.” Dae-Jung looked back confused.

“Do you know how many stares I get? I want to be discreet about my presence.”

“Ah, sorry, Seong-nim.” 

Seong got out of the car once Kim Hyun parked in a parking lot of a café, he tapped on the window of the driver seat,

“Don’t follow me until I call for you, you guys can go back now.”

He brought his bag with him and went into the café’s bathroom, changing out to his outfit for today. He stepped out to look in the mirror,

“Was I always this pale?” Seong touched his face, the rosy color in his cheeks and lips glowed a lot more in this lighting than in his house. Then he smiled,

‘Well, I look even better.’ 

He walked out of the bathroom leisurely, making sure to smile sweetly.

“Woah, what is that, a ghost?”

“I don’t know, but I really like his clothes.”

Seong grinned to himself,’ Maybe I should use Ha-Eun as my fashion designer.” Everyone was indeed, liking his clothes.

Seong arrived at the Hunter Association center, there was a front desk for newcomers, he went there and asked,”Excuse me, can I register?” 

“Oh! Here, you can sign this sheet.” She handed over a pen and paper.

Seong looked at the paper,

—Name:

He thought about what to write,

—Yun Chan-Woo

‘Now my age… How old is Han Seong? He should be the same age as Lee Woo-Jin… At this time he’s…’

—20

He moved down the column,“Specialty?..”

“Oh, that just means what kind of combat style you’re good at.”

—Close and physical combat

Seong handed in the paper,”Ok, thank you, now just sit over there.”

She pointed to a waiting room with a couple of people, Seong—now Yun Chan-Woo—sat in one of the chairs near the entrance.

Someone looked up, their black eyes smiled at Seong,”Hey.”

“Hi…” Seong awkwardly responded,”Hmm…What’re we doing here?”

“Didn’t you know? Well, we’re being examined for ranks and fighting prowess.” 

Seong hummed, it wasn’t something he needed to be worried about.

“What’s your speciality?”

“Oh, just close combat…”

“Did you not awaken any abilities?”

“I don’t know, but I can use mana?”

“I guess that counts.”

Seong recalled the book, it said that the Hunter Association was where the qualifications of many trainees were evaluated. Of the tests, the main ones are mana and strength; after measuring the potentials of the body, you’re given a rank. This is also where you’ll be able to know what your affinity is, and you may be able to awaken abilities.

But this is also a battleground, this is where numbers come in, you may be the same rank but you still aren’t the same levels as others within. A hierarchy between the weakest and strongest.

Seong looked up, a man came in from across the room,” Trainees, this way please.”

It was time.

***

On days like these, 04/16/XXXX, once a month, people can come in and gain the qualifications of a Hunter. This is so guilds can look out for quality goods, and so the Hunter Association won’t have to hold this event everyday. 

Everyone sat down in a seat, filling up to three rows. The room was a combination of a stadium and an outdoor area.

“Let’s evaluate your mana first.” Seong watched as the staff pulled out three mana machines,”Just output all your mana in here, then move on to the next section.” They pointed towards another room with blocks of stone. 

Seong analyzed the machines,‘Those are basically generators that are in need of mana replenishment. They transfer mana into each facility in the Association, using it like fuel.’ He crossed his arms,’I guess it’s a benefit.’

“Everyone, look under your seat and come in numerical order! Starting from number one!”

Seong looked under his seat,

—16

He was in the second row, the other participants went according to order, their outputs weren’t so bad. Rather, it seemed like they had potential for growth.

“13, 14, 15, 16!” Seong got up from his seat and walked to the stadium, the guy who talked to him earlier was also with him.

“Just place your hand in there, make sure to use all of your mana. We have a mana potion here, so you don’t have to worry.”

Seong placed his hand within the machine, his breathing slightly quickened,’Please be nice.’

The mana began to swirl around his hand, creating a cloud until it was sucked into a vacuum, the mana shot out immediately, creating  a sound of thunder and white light. Seong breathed out slowly, his eyes locked onto his hand, it continuously poured out mana.

Seong wanted to see what Han Seong’s body was capable of, so he pushed further.

Seong pushed all of his mana from his arm, he could feel every pulse within his body writhing, the mana was endlessly pouring until,

—Drip, drip.

Blood came through Seong’s nose, contrasting from his pale face. 

“Are you ok?!” The staff rushed over with a towel, and another quickly pulled Seong’s hand out and put a potion in it, Seong just giggled nervously.

‘I was honestly scared.’ His hand didn’t hurt as much as when he first tried out mana, though his hand cramped up. He wiped his nose and drank the potion, it left a purple residue on his tongue. 

“I’m fine.” He cheerfully expressed.

***

“And now we begin with strength, everyone put on the protective gloves.” The staff handed everyone a glove that was shock-absorbent, it had considerable padding. 

Everyone had a stone wall of their own, it was pretty thick, Seong placed his hand on the wall. 

‘Your strength and stamina is truly incredible.’ Seong remembered what Dae-Jung said,

‘If that’s true, I should be okay here.’ Seong raised his gloved fist, drawing power into his feet. He stood firm and tensed up his arm, as if it was a sling-shot, then he exploded his fist into the wall.

-Crack! Crumble, crumble…

The participants looked over, shocked as they saw a crack split apart the thick stone. Seong breathed out as he rested his head against the wall, he looked at his hand,

“Haha.” He was really strong, he unknowingly smiled crudely.

***

Now it was time for the last test, battle more like it. Everyone was in the waiting room, waiting for their results. There were other tests like endurance, dexterity, mental prowess, and so on. Seong looked at the ceiling, the only outstanding thing that came from him was, his strength and stamina. Other than that, he wasn’t special.

‘Is this why I’m a D-rank?’ He clicked his tongue. 

“I was really surprised.” Seong looked over to who was speaking, it was that guy again,”You’re really strong, I couldn’t even make that much damage.”

Seong smiled,”That’s my specialty, haha.”

“By the way, what’s your name? I’m Min Sang-Ook.” He stretched out his hand.

Seong looked at his hand, then held it,”Yun Chan-Woo.” Seong almost forgot his name.

“Oh really? That name suits you, is that your normal hair color?” He pointed at Seong’s splendid white hair.

“Oh, it is… It makes me look like a ghost, right?” Seong noticed a pattern with the people around him. Hunters had a unique color to distinguish themselves from others; however, normal people usually have no astonishing colors. But Lee Woo-Jin is an exception.

Seong looked at Sang-Ook’s ruddy hair, it was the only unique thing about him.

“Oh no, it doesn’t! Rather, you look more like an angel!” Sang-Ook laughed nervously, he definitely agreed with Seong.

The TV turned on,”We have exciting news, the qualifications have been completed. Please enter the other room upon hearing your name.”

It started listing names, Seong’s heart started pounding; even though Han Seong was registered, he wasn’t so sure he would actually get called. Plus, if he was called, he’d have to go up against others who had more experience than him. 

—“Yun Chan-Woo, and Min Sang-Ook.”

The TV turned off,’Why was I one of the last ones?!’ Seong’s heart could not calm down.

***

Seong walked along side of Sang-Ook, they both were handed their ranks,

“Awww, I got an E-rank… Chan-Woo, what did you get?”

“D.” Seong wasn’t surprised.

Seong looked around, there were many that consisted of E’s and F’s, a couple a D’s, and a few C’s and B’s. Seong envied their talent, but he also wanted to see them in action. He hadn’t felt this competitive in a long time.

“For now, we will begin sorting battles based on your scores, you may be able to climb up the ranks with this, but we also advise you to take it slow.” The TV turned off.

Seong was determined to rank up to at least C-rank.

***

Seong watched as the contestants battled, explosions appeared as the spars continued. The battles start from F-A, Seong still had to wait until his turn. His battle ranking was higher than he expected, he was in the mid-rankings of D-ranks.

There were 3 other people above him, if he could defeat them, then he could choose to challenge a C-rank. The siren blared a victory, Sang-Ook happily ran back, pumping his scathed fists.

“Chan-Woo, you see that?!”

“That was nice, are you moving onto D next?” 

“No, I’ll do that next time, haha.” The staff gave Sang-Ook a potion and some medical aid.

***

It was finally his turn, he stepped out on to the stage. Everyone that he’s seen had abilities of their own, but one thing they lack is, physical experience. They’d rather waste mana and use long-distance than closing in and attacking with their strength, Seong stretched his arms, looking at his opponent.

A person walked onto stage, they held a wooden sword as they stood across of Seong. Seong glanced at the sword, keeping his head low,

“Would you like a weapon, sir?”

“You got a baton?”

The referee threw the stick, Seong caught it with his right hand and spun it around. The opponent had a slim but firm build, it seemed like they would be best at agility rather than offense. He tied up his indigo hair, eyeing Seong with his light brown eyes,

“Da Kang-Dae!” He bowed down.

“…Yun Chan-Woo.” Seong did the same, then the siren blew, signaling a start.

Kang-Dae stepped forward, leaning down and then using his foot to shoot forward. Seong skidded to the side, putting his baton in front of him, but Kang-Dae used his foot to redirect himself. He swung in a circle, aiming to kick Seong’s face.

Seong ducked, but Kang-Dae twisted himself then kicked with his other leg, Seong used his baton to block. 

Seong grabbed his leg and twisted it, slamming him down to the ground, but Kang-Dae caught himself and pushed himself back up. 

He swung his sword at Seong’s wrist, Seong retracted and used his baton to block the swing, they clashed and reverberated.

Kang-Dae pulled back, stepping away,”You’re really good at close combat.” 

“You’re not done using all your techniques, are you? Aren’t you looking down on me too much?”

Kang-Dae smiled,”I just wanted to get a feel.” Kang-Dae brought his sword up to his face, gliding his fingers along the wooden blade, the blade suddenly burst with an orange flame engulfing it. 

Kang-Dae stepped back and zig-zagged around the venue, creating flames within the air. It slightly singed the tips of Seong’s clothes, Seong closed his eyes as the heat got to it, using his hand to block his face. 

But then, something felt off, he felt something behind him. He heard something crackle behind him, and instinctively, he moved his head away and turned slightly.

A burst of flames shot forward beside Seong’s face, Seong looked at it horrified,

‘I thought this was a spar!’ Seong then ran towards Kang-Dae, aiming for his wrist.

But Kang-Dae kept backing up and shooting his blade while Seong continuously dodged, but as Seong kept going on offense, his speed gradually increased, causing Kang-Dae to grit his teeth.

‘He-is he not getting tired at all?! Why is he suddenly getting faster!?’ 

Kang-Dae stopped with his sword guarding his figure, bracing himself,

‘I need to end this quickly.’ He charged up his sword, using his mana for extra area effect. As he saw Seong charge forward, he quickly swung in many directions, creating many visible sound waves that cut the ground.

—SLASH! SLASH! SLASH!

‘I’ll get hurt if I touch those.’ Seong drew back, infusing his baton with a mana barrier, then he parried one of the sound waves, which disrupted it into thin air. 

“Kuek.” As the wave hit the baton, it broke the barrier instantly, making Seong feel nauseous.

‘I only have one chance to break through.’ Seong put up his barrier again as Kang-Dae continued his attacks, Seong breathed in and then shot forward.

He brought the baton above his head as he jumped, swinging it down like a hammer, disrupting the waves and clashing with something hard.

—Tak, tak, tak. 

The sword flew away from Kang-Dae’s trembling hands, the barrier broke again and Seong twisted his face. He kicked Kang-Dae down, pointing the baton at him.

“I drew this victory.” 

The sirens blared again.

***

The medical team rushed toward them, giving each a potion for health and mana, Seong finally exhaled his shaky breath.

‘That was too risky.’ Upon impact with the sound waves, the mana barrier began to crack, so Seong made sure he forced the baton down at the compressed attacks of air.

The deeper he forced, the denser it was, like a ball made of rubber bands. The more he forced his way through, the more complicated and dense the core is. 

He didn’t come out unscathed though: his internal injuries suffered from the momentum, and the sound waves that hit the baton had disrupted into smaller waves, scratching Seong’s face. 

Other than that, he was pumped. The battle was exciting Seong’s already jittery heart, he breathed heavily. It was like his brawls in high school, that feeling of winning and crushing others, he became addicted to that feeling.

“As the victor, would you like to continue?” 

“Yes.” Why would Seong refuse?

***

Seong won each battle with mild difficulty, having gotten used to his lack of abilities. His opponents tried to use Seong’s lack of long-distance attacks to their advantage. 

But Seong’s fighting spirit became more unstable, and his appearance—like a napkin, soaked up some of the blood spilt. The innocent Yun Chan-Woo, slowly became even crazier.

“Victor, would you like to try a hand in fighting a C-rank?”

“Bring it on!” Seong could finally, try moving onto C-rank.

0