Chapter 5: New Mornings, breakfast, and some plans for the day – Beyond the Dark – Part 4
301 10 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Hey, Author here. Wanted to say, I’m reading DC lore, and upping the word count. I try to write as well I as I do try, so please give some criticism. Thanks, enjoy the Chap.  This is Draft 2 btw;


“Speech” 

Thought 

[Online communication] 

{Telepathy} 


(MC POV) 

 

Oh shit. 

Forgot about Family. 

A bane that my appetite pushed to the side.

Seriously, I need to make sure I don’t overlook things like this; Can’t be snuck up on, especially in DC of all places. I mean, was breakfast what it took to lower my guard? Seriously, I’m really dizzy.. 

Well, I guess that’s why I need breakfast, right? Can’t skip the second-best meal of the day! 

.. 

‘Family’, huh. 

I can’t tell what the relationship between ‘me’ and this person is, but I’ll go with the common ones: Sister, Mother. Caretaker? 

Unlikely... unless... 

Thin body, single parent.. need to check.

“M-morning Mom”

A shocked look lapses the red heads face before she grins almost madly.

She takes her momentary attention from breakfast to twist herself towards me, still holding what now looks like a joy filled smile. 

“Morning hun! slept well my little night owl?” she spoke softly, calmly, keeping that smug but enviable grin on while moving back to her cooking, then setting the plates and putting her attention on me. Her side profile described a beautiful, cheerful woman with curly hair, southern spoken words and even nice crystal earrings to go with. She looks like she’s in her 30’s now, not really middle aged, though I can’t tell by the constant fuzzing of lights. 

Which were oddly too bright. Guess my senses improved, though a tad bit sudden; Should have at least let me have some rest.. 

Oh well. I asked for Vampire clichés, and I'll get Vampire diary clichés.

Back to the convo. 

I had ensured that I was not some abused child, which is good. Number one priority is not to be an orphan / abused child, for various reasons. Every damn orphan in DC becomes a hero in some way, which mean Brucie is going to show up on my front door with red and yellow spandex the moment that happens. 

Second is, in all situations, it leads to someone dying, and while I enjoy a good fight, I'll avoid that while I'm fairly weak at the moment.

Which is odd; Why am I weak? 

I do have the abilities I asked, though Alucard's seems to have been less than what I'd like; I'll have to check after breakfast, can't risk any possibilities of weakness, plus, I am very famished.

Back to mother. 

“I had a rough night. Feel a bit hungrier than usual.” I said, quite curious of my situation.

This was an interesting progression so far, one that may decide whether I have to ‘deal with’ my newer family;  Either way. Before any homicide occurs, I might want to organize a few- 

---Growllll--- 

My stomach seemed to disagree with my very patient and procrastinating self. Guess I should take sometime with this, but urgency is urgent, especially when regarding familial assessments;

I am enjoying the smell of breakfast, eggs and cheese, mild ham and spices. Not chili spices, I mean green spices: green onions, and such.

But I’d still choose a good dinner any time over a good breakfast. Rosemary and eggs are wonderful, but rosemary and marinated and grilled chicken breast is just, 'Chef's kiss'; I’m a dinner fan, sue me. 

My ‘mother’ looks over to me with a odd but curious expression, probably wondering if there was an earthquake nearby. A slight frown quickly appears on her face , then she looks over to me after a moment of pinching the bridge of her nose.

“You shouldn't have gone to bed without dinner Danny. I mean really” she sighed, suddenly in an exhausted mood. -“Well, you’re a growing boy and I’m a cooking genius, so help yourself. My treat!”. The last part was cheekier than the rest of her talk. She quickly switched between  tired and fun, so that's mildly concerning. I paid it no mind though, my hunger is fighting a war over here. 

A nice plate of eggs sat in front of me; Not an omelette, but the classic sunny-side over some caramel toast and cheese. Garnished with what looked like and smells turkey bacon on the side, burnt to the slightest degree, and cooked with the slightest, smallest amounts of oil; It paired well with green onions, thyme and other soft spices added on to the dish, all topped with a nice homemade.. butter sauce.

Wow. 

This thing looked delectable.

I’ve never felt so damn famished. Though it doesn't look like my self control is weakening, which is great.

I single bite in, Fork and knife style, and I eat. Violently, though quite neatly.

Just a tad bit too fast for a meal; I’m still using a fork and knife, so I'm still classy by some sense. 

My senses describe every damn ingredient in the dish, leaving me with even more flavor than possible. Thankfully, she is a great cook, otherwise I'd taste a jumbled mess of sensations.

My mother is looking like she saw a dead squirrel being canabalised, but she seems to compose herself after a few moments, sighing to herself "probably teenage hunger". 

Well, if she was as hungry as me, she would have eaten the damn table. 

Speaking of table, it has a beautiful varnish, honestly, I didn’t notice before. The plates, utensils, even the cloth looks amazing. Everything seems very rich; It doesn’t look too exquisite, at least not like those millionaire playboy mansions you see on MTV, but still it looks really damn expensive.

I wonder who decorated the place; The kitchen is furnished with marble and oak, while the living room is decorated with white walls and oak floorboards. A pearlescent white covered the walls of the Livingroom, whos lights were on a thin rope. The drawers and cabinets were decorated in dark oak and porcelain, which made an eccentric combo.

The main L shaped couch faced the opposite of the kitchen, looking away from us and towards the TV in the other direction. I see, via the wide and doorless entry between the two rooms, a window as large as a wall. There's a back yard outside to the right of the couch, and it looks very green. Though its basically an bright red and orange tone since its early. Guess its not an apartment?

Who knew.

My mother finally brings her plate over to the table, seems my mild-paranoia didn’t go easily unnoticed. “Is everything ok?” She said, “You look kind of stressed.” A worried tone, a genuine one, spoke. My mind gets less foggy, probably from the food. I feel clearer to a sense, but still hazy.

“A mild migraine.” I assure her. It seems that I’m thinking and acting faster than normal people; Like a trained soldier.

“Well, at least it isn’t a bloody nose” She chuckled mildly, though judging from my, confused reaction, she quickly changed the subject with slight awkwardness.

“So, excited for next week?” She beams. “For what?” I reply, but quickly realizing that I may have done a big no no. 

Now that foods out of the way, I'm more procrastinative. It seems that my curiosity, which like my many other rash behaviors, haven't been properly calmed.

“For the parade festival! We’ve been waiting for this for a whole month now, how could you forget?” She says, insulted? By my lack of consideration. “It's right on the best week of the year!”  She seems more excited than I should be.

She continues. “Honestly, how could you forget! Hunie~Bun, you sure your memory’s doing alright? ~” Her playful manner of speaking, and her cheekiness leads me to think this is teasing. Not to mention her stress on the ‘sure’; I yawn, fairly exhausted, maybe because its so early;

“I’m fine~ just sleepy~” I say in my half daze. Though her furrowed brows make me concerned. “That won’t do you lazy toot, we need to get you up and going!”

Oh no. Don't be school! That would the worst way to start a new 'Vacation'.

“Where?” I ask still half interested in her response, half interested in the bottle of orange juice sitting in front of me; She passes the bottle; “For the best week of your life of course!” She almost screamed, though her body language is fairly calm; Maybe she's being enthusiastic for my sake.

“Ah, yeah” I leave a realizing look, and she responds “Carnivals, Movies and all the fun activities one can pack!”, with enough enthusiasm to kickstart the communist revolution. "It's going to be amazing!". “Yeah, amazing" I reply with enough sarcasm to level the USSR to the ground, y'know, to even us out.

Though she just smiles.

..

 

 

 

 

 

3