Chapter 74 Team
40 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
second exam here refers to Second Realm(Ascension) Exam, not chronology. Same with first(Refining) and third(Pillar) exams.

‘Ahhh, this hurts.’ Tai complained internally. Nico apparently didn’t agree it was time to end it and viciously fought back for another ten minutes. Her tenacity surprised him, and normally he’d sing its praises, but Combustion Point stressed his body too much for him to have positive thoughts.

He’d built it with one thought in mind, controlled momentum. It’s easy to look at the results and think the momentum is most important, but it’s actually the control part that gave the form its power.

Nico had ninety pockets and was naturally much stronger than Tai even before using enhancements. He only won so easily because he turned her greatest strength into a weakness.

He realized that her special combat sense was due to her powerful motion detection. It not only allowed her to track him perfectly despite his armor, it was also sensitive enough for her to fine tune her movements when engaging in close combat.

It’s an amazing talent that’d allow her to beat opponents stronger than herself, but it was inherently reactionary, and Tai utilized that. He made her react before using combustion for instant momentum changes to limit the strength she could use.

He doubted it’d work so well once she had time to think about it, but it was enough to win this bout. Unfortunately, all those sudden momentum shifts put a lot of strain on him.

His entire body ached, with cramps in places he didn’t even know he had muscles in. All he wanted now was for Nico to fall over already. Thankfully, his wish finally got hurt as the aura of vitality around her started to flicker and fade.

‘Damn it. Is this as far as I go?’ Nico cursed as her body really couldn’t take the boosts anymore. She was currently in a crater her body made when Tai used her like a ball again.

Her body was full of new and half-healed bruises and cuts. The Wood Attribute had a naturally strong vitality. Even though she wasn’t fortunate enough to have a Healing Factor to gain the Healer Profession, her natural regeneration was high.

‘If we were fighting somewhere with more vitality, then… It’d end the same.’ She admitted to herself.

The restrictions Tai placed on himself thoroughly convinced her she couldn’t win regardless of conditions. Her battered body trembled in humiliation and anger. He could’ve beaten her many other ways, yet he chose to deliberately humiliate her like this.

She could accept it if this treatment was payback for targeting him, but he didn’t show this level of ‘care’ to anyone else who attacked him. Nico could only take it as a personal attack, and she wouldn’t let that slide.

The vibrant Wood Qi around her almost vanished entirely, but a small spec remained, a small seed that’d survived a huge disaster. If this is as far as she could go then she’d use everything she had. She didn’t think this would beat him. Hell, after using this technique it wouldn’t change a thing for her even if it did beat him. But she was pissed and had nothing to lose.  

“There’s no need for that, I don’t plan on eliminating you.” Tai said calmly, causing her to pause before erupting. She glances at him skeptically as a handsome grin spread across his face. “Just the opposite in fact. I want you.” Tai spoke with slow deliberation while staring straight into her eyes.

Tai nodded internally as Nico’s cheeks flushed. He’d suspected it from her earlier reactions, but now he was certain she didn’t have much experience with men; if any. This’d likely make her easier to convince.

“I think your abilities would be a great addition to my team.” He clarified playfully. Nico’s face twitched and grew even redder at the ‘misunderstanding’. However, she soon looked at Tai as if staring at a crazy person.

“Are you serious? I just attacked you!”

“Well, I prefer to think of it more as a fateful encounter than an attack.” He winked, causing her to fluster again. “Besides,” he continued, “Low ranking Families like ours don’t have comrades to rely on in this test. We can only get to know each other through this kind of rough play.” He excused his previous actions and reminded her of their shared origins in one go.

Her face turned serious after he mentioned their Families. They really were at a disadvantage compared to those Households with established connections. Even if she wasn’t targeting Tai, they probably would have still fought if they’d met up randomly. Thinking of it that way, she found his proposal easier to accept.

She didn’t have anything against him personally, and his strength was impressive to boot… she really couldn’t think of a reason to say no. Of course, knowing she’ll be eliminated for refusing certainly helped to dissuade it as an option.

“…Alright. I’ll join you.” What the hell, she had nothing to lose anyway!

A genuine smile escaped Tai’s lips. First teammate get! “Excellent, we should make the pact then.” He stated, referring to the small ritual required to form teams.

“Eh? Now?” Nico questions skeptically. Examinees couldn’t form teams after they acquired their fourth key. This meant it was best to form groups after the third key, that way everyone could collect much faster until then since they won’t suffer the team penalty yet.

“Definitely now.” Tai confirmed. “My father always warned me about beautiful women, I won’t feel secure if we don’t bind our interests together first.” He lied. In truth it was a matter of trust.

As is, Nico would lose nothing if Tai got eliminated. And, arguably more importantly, she had motive TO eliminate him. Though Marina’s intel and his own observation made him think betrayal was unlikely, he still wanted to add some negatives to that choice to further dissuade it.

The two started the series of handshakes for team formation, with Tai as the leader of course.

Loud laughter could be heard throughout the office, much to the annoyance of the other two inhabitants. They all had a mirror and a pile of orbs neatly stacked nearby.

“Would you settle down already you damn hyena woman?” Damien snapped grouchily while looking up from his own mirror orders.

“Hyena! My laugh doesn’t sound like a hyena!” Tia denied while glaring at him. “Julius I don’t sound like a hyena, right?” She turned and asked the third person in the room.

“Could you two please just work.” Julius groaned. The formerly cheerful head proctor looked like he hadn’t even heard the word sleep in weeks.

Thanks to the verdict of the council, he had to rework his prior plans for the elite exams entirely. Though admittedly, it was only due to that same verdict that he managed to get clearance for a Planal Artifact, it’d dumped a mountain of work on him.

He couldn’t even rest after finishing the intensified elite exam off as the work for the Spirit Ascension exams were seriously behind. The second exam was a lot less complex than the third exam, and it only had a knowledge and practical test to it. However, it held one quality that made it a nightmare even in a good year.

Quantity!

The fact is that most cultivators younger than thirty are in the Refining and Ascension Realms. And since the second exam had no enlistment requirements like the first exam, it’s by far the most popular. It’s to the extent that it has several times more examinees than the first and third exams combined.

He and Damien were struggling with all the logistics necessary to handle such numbers. Meanwhile Tia kept taps on the elite exams and recorded key moments for him to go over later.

“I’ve been doing my part. She’s the one lacking self-control.” Damien said coldly.

“It’s not my fault! That kid just recruited one of the people she sent after him, how could I not laugh?” She argued, causing them both to glare at her seriously.

“… I didn’t say it’s your fault, I said you lack self-control dummy. Watch what you say more closely.” Damien said gravely.

“He’s right Tia.” Julius added before she could respond. “Your words just now could be misunderstood. You should be more careful.” He clarified.

“Ah.” A look of realization crossed her face as she pouted. The three worked in silence for several minutes afterwards. “…It isn’t fair though.” She couldn’t help mumbling.

“… Mhm.” Damien couldn’t deny it.

“I know.” Julius gripped his mirror so hard it’d break a building. He’d looked forward to being the head proctor all year. It’s usually a huge honor to get to curate the potential futures of the Academy, and yet… sigh.

There was nothing that could be done. When the big wigs start moving, those below could only do as they’re told, even as their dreams grind to dust in their labor.

At this time a blue haired young lady awoke inside a large wooden bath. She jerked up instinctively, causing water to cascade off her. The water running from her face looked almost like a river of tears as her usually cold eyes showed a breath of emotions. However, they soon returned to their normal frozen state and the illusion was shattered.

She stretched comfortably, feeling better than she had in weeks. She deduced that she was about seventy percent healed after a quick check up. Her repaired physique would ensure she was fully healed in time for the exams.

‘At least this went as planned. Hopefully everything else will follow suite.’ She hoped. A quick pulse of Qi got rid of the remaining water before she started dressing. She pulled at her hair in slight annoyance.

It’d grown a bit longer than she liked during her three months as a mortal, and she wondered for the umpteenth time if she could cut it. In the end she left it as is, just as she’d done every time the thought occurred to her these past months.

Seeing a slightly different version of herself somehow made it easier to do some of the things she wanted. She shook her head to silence the intrusive thoughts, there were more important things to think about. With her physique fixed she could finally test one of her theories, then she’d start on Raul’s Dao Weapon.

‘… I really hope everything goes as planned.’

1