Chapter 56 – A Noble Response
126 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
We're almost caught up to my RoyalRoad releases. I should hopefully have you guys there by either Friday or Saturday. Just in time for the public releases to get to the end of the book on 16 Nov. There will be a break after that while I get everything in order and get Patreon up to 8 chapters ahead. Book 2 will begin for public release on 2 Dec. It starts next week on Patreon!

A Noble Response

 

Sabina remained still as the woman she was following moved past her into the small rowhouse that sat on a corner next to an even smaller park. Two trees, a line of bushes, and a bench. And some noble likely acted as if they did a service.

She crept silently as the woman walked inside her mother’s home–the mother was away with a relative. She pulled at the magic churning through her, trying to Detect Emotions of any within range. Contentment, happiness, love, anger, lust, disgust, peace. It told her where everyone was, and how close they were. It had taken her a while to put a barrier between her own emotions and those she felt from others. In the beginning, they had affected her, their rage had been hers, their sadness, like Gwyn’s, hers. No more. Her mind was her own.

The House needed evidence of what the marquess was doing, and they needed a way to stop him from interfering with the princess. He can harm her over my dead body. She took a deep breath. She felt a presence–two presences–approaching. 

Sabina looked over and saw two city guards turn the corner onto the street. She peered into their mind and Altered Perception. A simple thing, she wasn’t manipulating or nudging their minds as Taenya wished for her to avoid. She simply made herself invisible to their senses. 

 Straining as the magic coursed through her, she gritted her teeth even as sweat started forming on her brow from the effort. The magic took a lot out of her, but she couldn’t be noticed this early. She held onto the effect and took a step to the side as the guards walked right past, not even glancing toward her. She didn’t let up from her spell until they crossed the street and entered an alleyway. Sabina forced air out from her nose and slowly breathed back in through her mouth as she calmed herself, letting the magic inside her settle.

She took a moment to collect herself then she walked to the door. Focusing on her magic, she took a deep breath and knocked. It didn’t take long, but she felt the presence approaching. Confusion and slight irritation filled her senses. The woman was confused at who could be visiting at this hour, and irritated that someone would be coming so late. A slight fear bubbled deep inside, a flash of worry for a loved one. While the woman’s emotions were on full display, her surface thoughts were surprisingly private. Sabina pushed her presence out so she could Hear Thoughts

~Did something happen to mother? Think, who else could it be at this hour? I swear if it is those Jenkins boys again…~ 

Sabina took a small step back and let go of her magic, just as the door opened. A high elf woman of twenty-seven appeared at the door. The sight of her blue eyes and black hair caused Sabina to smile. Marinella

The confusion settled back in as the woman didn’t recognize Sabina. Good.

“Ms. Marinella?” Sabina started.

“Yes? May I help you?”

“Are you the daughter of a Velma?”

The woman’s eyes widened and panic shot through her like a bolt launched from a ballista. “Yes, I am. What is the matter? Did something happen?”

“Miss, could we please go inside? I believe this would be best–”

“No, what happened?”

“Ms. Marinella. Please. Let us go inside before we cause a scene that would be best left in private.”

Sabina pushed into the woman’s mind once more and channeled her magic to Conjure Hallucinations. Marinella looked around, seeing several people–who weren’t there–and realized that others were watching her. She quickly looked back at Sabina. “Yes, yes. Come in. Nosey neighbors even at this hour.”

Sabina smirked as she followed the woman in.

Step one complete.

All she needed to do now was to simply Pull Memories, and be on her way. 

Marinella will Sleep it off, and be none the wiser tomorrow.

 

* * *

 

Sabina walked up to the gate of the Angwin Estate. She wore the clothing of Marinella, her hair worn the same way; her facial paint washed off for the night. There was only one guard at the gate at this hour, and Rikard was just the telv she was hoping to see. 

She let her magic flow, pulling deep at the swirling black within her. The man caught sight of her and squinted in the darkness with only the torch on the wall next to him for light. Sabina probed at the feeble mind before focusing on herself with Alter Perception, changing how people see her to look like Marinella in their senses. 

Sabina smiled and waved. “Sorry, Rikard! I am back. I need to finish up for Lord Angwin.”

Marinella? Wha… I thought you had to watch your mother’s home tonight?”

Sabina pulled at the Memories and recalled what the woman had done on her way home. “I checked it out, the house is fine. You know how it is. Lord Angwin always needs something else. In my rush to leave, I nearly forgot that he wanted me to return,” she explained.

Rikard sighed. “Tell me about it. Ever since that new order, the Lord made Ser Moreno increase how many bells the guards work. I am nearly at my thirteenth now.”

Sabina gasped. “That is horrible. You must be tired.”

The telv nodded. “I am, but I should be relieved in two more bells.”

“Two bells? You are liable to fall over by then.”

He chuckled. “I hope not. Otherwise, I’d be liable to be lashed!”

She covered her mouth and giggled politely. “Well, I shouldn’t keep the Lord waiting. Keep your strength and warmth! It is getting cold out!”

They spoke their farewells as the telv opened the gate and let Sabina through. As she walked away and heard the gate close, she took a deep breath. So far so good. 

Her mental illusion held up to more scrutiny as she made her way through the servant's entrance and into the estate itself. There were only two bells to get it done. She would need to hurry.

She smirked. There’s step two.

 

* * *

 

Sabina made her way through the estate, her presence suffusing the halls as she walked through them. Holding her Alter Perception spell up as she passed the few servants she saw at the late hour with no issues.

The tapestries looked downright eerie in the dimly lit halls. She felt out at each room, attempting to Detect Emotions from within. When their emptiness was confirmed, she peeked in, seeing various sitting areas, a guest room, and storage. 

The last door Sabina checked was occupied, her tendrils of thought feeling a slew of emotions from two people inside. The wide range of indifference, love, dissatisfaction, impatience, and lust, however, confused her. She maintained her Alter Perception magic when she knocked softly. She heard ruffling inside, which made her focus her presence on what lay within. Surprise, panic, fear, and distress came from the two presences within. Sabina concentrated so that she could Hear Thoughts, trying to ascertain what was occurring inside, as she was unable to physically hear anything other than muffled sounds through the door. 

~Oh gods, I told Yorik we shouldn’t have done this! If we’re caught...~

~Shit. Shit shit shit. Where are my pants? Oh. There.~

Sabina’s eyes widened, surprise filling her as the emotions she had felt–

Actually, now that I think about it… They make sense. Let’s… give them some privacy.

She shook her head as she made for the stairwell, opening and closing the door behind her before the receding presences finally exited from their rendezvous. 

She felt several presences in the hallway as she made it to the second floor, straightening Marinella’s dress and pulling in her presence to make the effect stronger. With a deep breath, she exited the door confidently. Sabina immediately took note of the people in the area, trying to not hiss in displeasure as she saw two guards, the marquess’ majordomo, and Marquess Angwin himself. The group turned and the majordomo–Ser Wentham–noticed her first. The telv’s brow raised as he assessed her. The Marquess on the other hand didn’t seem fazed by her being there whatsoever. 

“Ah, Marinella. I thought you had other business to conduct this night,” Marquess Angwin said.

Sabina channeled more magic into her Alter Perception. She walked forward and curtseyed deeply, as Marinella did in her Memories. She stood straight, ensuring to keep her head and eyesight lowered before speaking, “I have completed them earlier than expected, My Lord Angwin. I wished to return in case you had any other duties for me.”

The majordomo gave her an appraising look, then turned back to the marquess. “My Lord, do you still wish to respond tonight?”

Sabina kept her head down, probing the two men with Hear Thoughts, focusing on the marquess first.

~--when the prince sends his forces. I can finally strike a blow against the Tilorals and raise my House by having that princess under my thumb. That is if that cursed royal doesn’t take her for his own plans… I just have to ensure that doesn’t happen.~

She moved her perception to the majordomo, to get his thoughts.

~--Telford. If that fool was not so incompetent with what the marquess demanded of him, we wouldn’t be expected to focus on the princess while we are trying to usurp the Tilorals at the same time. Hopefully, Telford’s son can redeem their shame.~

So they’re not just going after Gwyn, and Telford was working for the marquess. “Yes, we should,” the marquess said before looking at Sabina. “Marinella, come. You will write for me.”

“As you wish, My Lord.” 

Sabina followed the two into the large office, immediately moving to the small desk meant for a scribe. She checked Marinella’s Memories and made sure to pull out the proper stationery for a letter to the Crown Prince.

Angwin and Wentham spoke quietly, and she felt irritation coming from the noble as they did. A palpable resignation emanated from the majordomo. Finally, the marquess let out an exaggerated sigh, and Sabina lifted a quill, ready to write. I just need to write whatever he wants and then take this with me after obtaining his seal. 

“Marinella, write the appropriate titles for the crown prince,” he commanded.

Sabina nodded and addressed the letter to Crown Prince Kerrell, with all of his appropriate titles. When she was done, she simply raised the quill and the man continued.

“Your Royal Highness, I am honored by your appointment of myself and House Angwin as the Representative for Magical Affairs within the Duchy of Tiloral. I shall uphold the duties of the office…”

Sabina dutifully transcribed the airy load of lies that Angwin spewed. Finally, after five minutes of exacerbating how perfect he was for the role, he reached the subject that affected her House.

“--My first act in this position shall be to provide needed oversight of the terran princess that we had discussed previously. As Representative of your hand, House Angwin shall move to confiscate all assets of House Reinhart and exert guardianship over the minor.”

She paused as the two men discussed the content of the letter and what to write next. At the majordomo’s suggestion of content, the marquess continued, “The child’s grievous assault of a fellow noble of Avira with magic was not only defended by House Tiloral, but she was given restitution by the duchy. This obviously cannot stand, and is a disservice to the Kingdom and Crown to have its highest noble subjects bow to a foreign royal. 

“As I suspect House Tiloral will seek to block lawful decrees of my new Office, House Angwin stands with His Royal Highness and the Crown in denouncing such actions. Upon your arrival in the duchy, House Angwin shall show its commitment to your future reign in supporting any actions the Crown deems fit to censure House Tiloral. I believe House Angwin can utilize the magic shown by the terran princess to further His Royal Highness’ ambitions.”

Sabina raised the quill, all of her willpower was focused on not shaking from the anger she felt. The rage. It would be so easy toNo. I cannot. I swore to Taenya.

“What do you think, Wentham?”

“It shall do, My Lord.”

“Good. Marinella, please close out the letter as required.”

Sabina smirked and added flowery language that subtly committed House Angwin fully to the Crown Prince’s faction. She added small tidbits that when added together, denounced House Tiloral, all the more to make Angwin an enemy of the Duke. 

The majordomo nodded at her when she finished, then turned to the old marquess. “My Lord, I will have it delivered first thing tomorrow,” Wentham assured his lord.

“Nonsense, I require you tomorrow. We must attend court. I told Nicolas to attend as well.” 

Sabina felt the majordomo’s surprise. “Your son–my apologies–Lord Nicolas is joining us?”

Angwin scoffed. “Of course, he is the heir to the House. This will be an important session, he will represent the House in court when I am filling the role of this new Royal Office.”

Wentham felt contemplative, as if he wanted to say more but couldn’t. “I will make arrangements for his attendance, My Lord.”

Marquess Angwin walked over to Sabina, picking up the letter to read it over. “Your calligraphy has improved, Marinella. I am impressed. Good. You will deliver this in my name. Wear your finest as you present it to the Royal Courier’s Office. Here,” he said and handed her his seal. “Seal it, and leave it in the safe. You may retrieve it in the morning. See to it that you return to the House before we return from Court. Wentham, see that other servants are available to take on her duties for sunrise.”

Both she and Wentham bowed their heads and expressed their acknowledgments of Marquess Angwin’s orders. It suits me perfectly. She readily sealed the letter closed with wax and walked to the safe behind the desk while Wentham and Angwin discussed their plans for court. She focused on another big pull magic to Conjure Hallucinations, creating a mental illusion of her placing the scroll into the safe, all while she slipped it into her dress. 

Sabina shut and locked the safe, neither man even flinching, instead continuing their discussion. She focused one last time on Hear Thoughts, trying to obtain as much of an edge as possible for the next day from the marquess.

~--princess and her magic will soon be mine to control. With the Prince’s support, it is only a matter of time before it is the Duchy of Angwin.~

Sabina grit her teeth. While she would love to stay and get more information, she felt herself growing tired. The strain of using her magic to keep up the ruse for so long finally showed its hand. She pulled back on her intrusions, unfortunately not able to keep up Alter Perception and focus on the majordomo.

With barely a glance in her direction, she slipped out of the office and made her way back to the gate. Her steps moved decidedly quicker, the closer she got. She caught sight of Rickard the guardsman as she drew near. Another guard was approaching from the opposite side of the estate. And there’s the replacement. 

She raised a hand and called out to the tired telv. “Rickard! I am off again for the night, and it looks like your replacement is finally here! I wish you a good night.”

The telv looked at her and then over at the elf approaching in the distance, moving to open the gate. “Ah, finally! How did–”

“Rickard! It is time for turnover.” Sabina heard from behind her.

“Sorry, Ms. Marinella. Duty calls. Have a good night!”

“And you as well, Mr. Rickard,” she said, slipping through the gate he held open for her and into the night beyond.

Step three… and a half. Complete.

 

* * *

 

Siveril walked with esquire Balfiel into his office within the manor, Ser Taenya and Ser Sabina following close behind. Sabina had awoken them late in the night with what she had discovered from House Angwin. Her brazen act had quite possibly saved the young House and its royal head. 

As soon as the door shut behind them, Taenya spoke up, “We must go to Court this morning. We cannot allow this to stand. Surely the Duke will not sit idle in face of such a threat to his House.”

Siveril shook his head. “He will not. However, that is not what will help us, and we will not seek his aid. The marquess gave us that.”

He was unsure if Sabina was reading his thoughts, or just felt his emotions, but she seemed almost confused as she stared at him. He had to admit that her magic had made him feel uneasy, even with her assurances. She was doing all she could to prove herself though, so he had to give some credit for that.

“What did he give us?” Taenya asked.

“Grave Abuse of Authority.” 

It was almost comical how synchronized the two women were when they tilted their heads in opposite directions. He continued, “Royal Decree of 896. Authority of Royal Appointments. By explicitly stating he plans to utilize the princess in an act against the duke, he is abusing the authority given to him in his position of magical affairs. It makes any decree against the princess unlawful.”

Sabina nodded. “So, we are going to block his attempt to take over the House on legal grounds? Won’t that just cause him to use other means to control her?”

He smiled. “Yes. It would. That is why we are not stopping there. His act is dishonorable of the highest degree and seeks to cause real damages against Her Highness’ House and interests.” Siveril turned his head slightly, looking Taenya in the eyes. “This will not stand.” 

The House Esquire spoke up. “House Reinhart will give notice of offense and demand of satisfaction. Since he wishes to eliminate our House, then any damages we seek shall take that into account. I will write a notice now that we shall present in court. When he dismisses us–and he will, Ser Taenya, you will need to challenge his House to a duel. Since he wishes the death of our House, you must challenge his House in a duel to the death.”

Sabina gasped as her head whipped to the esquire. “To the death? There has not been a duel to the death in centuries. Is it even still legal?”

Siveril smiled, he and Balfiel had discussed this extensively. He took over from the man. “Yes. However, the offense must be so grievous as to warrant it. House Angwin wishes to dissolve our House, force the princess into his servitude, and force her to join in aggressive acts against a duchy. This is legal.”

Taenya gave a curt nod. “I need to get ready.”

Siveril looked between the occupants of the room. Balfiel was already moving to compose the notice. Taenya looked resolute, she would be ready. Sabina looked slightly hesitant as if duty pulled her in two ways. “Then do so. We need to move. Sabina, you will remain here. You must protect Her Highness. Now is an opportune time for the marquess’ agents to act.”

Sabina straightened, steeling herself. “I will keep her safe.”

“See that you do.”

 

* * *

 

Taenya walked into the entryway of the manor, back in her full armor for the first time in several weeks. The dragons on her armor gleamed, the dark blue and silver fabric spotless and vibrant, her shortsword affixed to her right hip, and her new longsword in its sword frog attached to her left. She rested her left hand on the hilt of her sword as it jutted out slightly at a diagonal angle to better ease drawing it.

Gwyn walked up to her, and Taenya kneeled in front of the girl. “Taenya, I know you have to do this, but I wish you didn’t.” She fumbled with a piece of fabric that was in her hand. “I-I asked Emma to take me to a jeweler and had something made for you. I had planned on giving it to you on your birthday. I think now will be a good time,” she said and unrolled the fabric, showing a large silver pin in the shape of the sun and its rays. 

Ser Theran came forward and helped Gwyn attach it to her shoulder harness, over her collarbone, and slightly above her heart as the fabric sat over her breastplate. When they were done, Theran stepped back and gave them some space. Gwyn came close and hugged her, placing a hand over the pin. The princess whispered in her ear, and Taenya felt the pin heating up, even through her armor. Taenya’s eyes widened as she heard what Gwyn said, closing her eyes and committing it to memory. 

“Don’t forget,” the girl said.

Gwyn backed away, and Taenya nodded to her. “I will remember.”

“Good. Now go kick their butts, my Dragon-Knight,” the girl said, giving Taenya a surprisingly crisp salute.

Taenya smirked. “I’m not a Dragon-Knight yet, little princess. We do not even have a dragon.”

Gwyn’s face grew serious, and Taenya heard her mumble under her breath. 

“One day we will.”

The princess moved away as Taenya stood up. The Knight-Captain of House Reinhart glanced around, before focusing on Theran. “Ser Theran. We will take four guards with us, gather the rest and lock down the House. Expect trouble, even if it doesn’t come today.” 

“Understood, Knight-Captain.”

She glanced at Sabina who stood back, waiting for Gwyn to finish. Taenya looked into her eyes and nodded at her. Sabina returned it, almost hesitantly. Taenya tilted her head, ever so slightly, and Sabina gave another nod, more sure this time. It satisfied that they understood each other, the woman knowing she just received permission for what they had discussed before.

Taenya turned and walked to the open door, hesitating just before stepping out. She regarded those gathered, one last time, hearing Gwyn tell her ladies-in-waiting to lock themselves in their rooms, and only open for one of the House Guards. Taenya felt her eyes well up as she looked at the girl. 

I will not fail her.

With a deep breath, she stepped out into the mid-morning light.

Siveril awaited her by the carriage.

Taenya smiled. It was time.

Join Patreon and read up to eight chapters ahead of the public releases and exclusive side stories.

You can also check it to see future POVs! 

Come check out the Discord and chat about the story!

7