Chapter 62 – Let Us Begin
110 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
We are officially caught up to RoyalRoad! Last chapter of book 1 will be here Wednesday. After that, we will be taking a break until 2 Dec while things get set up for book 2. Patrons have chapter 1 of book 2, today.

Let Us Begin

The army was positioning itself to attack. There were so many men, soldiers, and guardsmen that should be protecting their city and people. It infuriated Sloane. How delusional can they be? This mustache-twirling, pathetic man is dooming all of his people to die. How many people could have been saved had these guards manned their posts properly? It infuriated her. It infuriated her that there was nothing she could do. The only recourse she had here was to run the way she came back toward the monsters. Wait… Ooooh, this is dumb. 

“Ismeld, I have a really idiotic idea. I don’t know how well it’s going to work… but we will need to move very quickly if it does,” she said. 

The high-elven knight groaned. “I am going to hate this, aren’t I?”

Sloane tilted her head. “Was that your first contraction?”

Ismeld scowled at her but ignored the jab. “What is your plan?”

“I… uh. I’m going to call the monsters to us,” she said.

Her brows shot to the moons in an almost comical fashion. “Th-That is not a sound idea, Sloane.”

Sloane gestured at the force in front of them. “Does fighting this with eleven people seem sound?”

“What are you two discussing? What’s the plan?” Nemura whisper-yelled.

“Ah fuck it. I’m doing it. Nemura, get ready to run like hell,” Sloane said as she stood up.

The woman shifted her focus between the two women in confusion. “What is she talking about, Ser Ismeld?”

Ismeld grabbed her shield and set it up on her side then tightened her grip on the reins. “There will likely be monsters lured to this position, soon,” she said. “You should prepare the others.”

Nemura’s eyes widened as she glanced at the army and then back at Sloane. “Shit. Alright,” she said before rushing off to warn everyone.

The army seemed to be nearly ready, just awaiting word to attack. Sloane started channeling mana through her. She had never cast multiple Flashbangs at once before, however, she was sure it wouldn’t be much more difficult than multiple bolts. Nemura rushed back next to them on her horse, nodding to Ismeld as she came to a stop. 

Ismeld looked up at Sloane. “Now or never.”

Sloane fired one Flashbang after another, aiming up in the sky above the army. She heard the yells from the formation to shield themselves, but she put that out of her mind. She kept going, losing track of how many she fired, most were single casts, but she managed to fire a few times of two and three simultaneously. It almost seemed like a large fireworks display, except louder and brighter, and not colorful or fun at all… really. Okay, that was a bad comparison. 

One added benefit of the Flashbangs was how it kept the archers suppressed and the army completely unable to communicate. She didn’t stop when she heard the first roar. Sloane was sure no one else heard it, but it wasn’t enough. She glanced at her watch and saw several blobs of mana coming from the side toward where she was aiming. 

Glancing down toward the army, she saw the first monster appear. That made her feel vindicated. The monsters were clearly more intelligent and belligerent than simple beasts, and reacting in this way solidified that fact even more. A beast would have been scared off by the noise, the monsters specifically came hunting for the cause of discomfort. It looked like one of the panthers from before, except mutated. It was easily five meters in length and around two or two and a half tall at the first set of shoulders, which led her into noticing the two sets of front legs. The head was much more ferocious looking with two almost gargoyle-esque ears and a fierce short snout with massive teeth. The most terror-filling part of the animal though, were the two long appendages, almost tentacles, that ended in a fan-like pad with hooks on them. 

It crept along the roof of a building above the soldiers, wincing at each Flashbang filling the sky. She stopped casting when it started looking around, likely searching for the source. This monster in particular was even more cunning than the others, there was a level of intelligence in it that, quite frankly, terrified her. And I drew it directly here. I don’t want it to focus on us… It needs to… Sloane nearly snapped her fingers as she got an idea at that point, but caught herself. She dug deep into the mana and what she wanted from her spell. She glanced at Ismeld. “I may pass out from this. Please watch me.”

“Sloane–”

She raised a hand toward the army and felt her connection to the mana surge. Such a simple spell, a simple goal, was so difficult in execution. She felt like her nose was running, and soon tasted copper on her lips, but didn’t stop. Her control started to waver, but she kept at it. A rush of mana poured through her and into that small working. The army was half a football field away. She finally saw it, a small orb forming above the army. One person in the army saw it, Baron Bolton raised his hand and pointed at the cracking orb of blue light. The beast stared at the orb and then down at the one man in the army with his hand pointing at it. With one last push of effort, Sloane launched the Flashbang up and caused it to burst. 

It wasn’t as strong as the rest of the spells she had cast, but this one working changed everything. The monster roared, a deep bellowing thing, that was followed by other roars of monsters that jumped onto roofs of buildings surrounding the army. These were similar to the first but were smaller–only three meters in length. Yeah… Only. Yet, for a lesser size, there were many of them. Sloane counted over twenty before she stopped, and then with one more roar from what she assumed to be the alpha of the pack, they attacked.

 

* * *

 

Ismeld stared wide-eyed as the monsters charged the large company of House guards. Beasts did not typically approach large groups of people, never mind a force of around two hundred armed with spears and bows. That is what these monsters did, however. The first beast managed to crash through a dozen men, breaking spears as it decimated the cohesion of the front line before it was brought down. 

Surprisingly the company managed to maintain a semblance of order and the formation managed to shift as more and more of the monsters charged from all sides. One squad of archers was unlucky as one beast leaped down from a rooftop right on top of them. Its two appendages struck out at nearby men and women as it used its paws and teeth to rip into more.

Ismeld kept an eye on the alpha but was distracted when Nemura spoke up. “Alos save us. We need to move.”

She nodded. “Agreed. Guardswoman Nemura, lead the way.”

A weight fell against her and she looked over, seeing Sloane slumping over, blood coming down from her nose. Ismeld pulled the woman close and quickly cleaned the red streaks. 

“I have you, Sloane. We are leaving.”

The woman nodded against her shoulder. “Give me just a moment.”

Ismeld glanced back, looking for the alpha, only to find that it was nowhere to be seen.

 

* * *

 

Baron William Bolton looked around, his sword shaking in his hand. The company that Count Kayser had deployed was collapsing. The witch had brought demons straight from the depths of hell upon them. He searched for the count to tell him they must flee, but could not find the man. 

William grabbed the arm of the guard assigned to his protection. “Where is the count?” He yelled as everything around them was so loud with the sound of battle.

The man glanced around. Yelling back at William. “He must have withdrawn from the fight. Stay calm, the company–”

The guard’s eyes bulged and, as if by the damned magic the witch had used, the man was lifted from the ground. The man reached out toward William before he was violently yanked to the side and thrown. William gasped as he took in the massive demon that now stood in the place of the blue-skinned elf that had been protecting him. The demon strode forward on its six legs, coming within an arm’s reach of him, and tilted its head down at him. Its two appendages swung in the air with the hooked ends constantly moving, as it maintained awareness toward those around them.

Pure terror rolled down his spine as William stared into a maw as large as his head and two eyes examining him searchingly. He felt the heat from its foul breath, its mouth seemed almost as if it were salivating as it stood there, its restraint evident. The monster’s gaze was as if it was able to peer into his very soul, gauging him, waiting for the man’s reaction. Its abyssal fur stood on end, both sets of shoulders slightly hunched and ready to react to any threat. William glanced up at where the witch’s spell had burst above him. He remembered reaching out and pointing at it. 

“Oh. That damned witch.” Something inside of him broke, as he realized what the woman had done. 

The sword fell from William’s grasp and the eyes of the demon in front of him narrowed. Where it seemed as if it were almost hesitant before, it now had found him wanting. William shook as he knew he was about to die. The beast reared back.

He whimpered, then closed his eyes to hold back the tears that formed. “May almighty God have mercy on us, forgive us our sins, and bring us to everlasting–”

William felt a sharp pain as he was yanked from the ground. 

Then he knew no more.

 

* * *

 

Sloane sat quietly, her head was pounding and she kept catching herself leaning toward Ismeld. She focused on alternating from looking at her watch to searching the surroundings as the caravan made its way to the East Gate and the fort that lie there as quickly as possible. It seemed her spells had worked and they hadn’t seen another monster as they moved down side streets. 

They came out of a narrow alley back onto the main route out of the city and saw the fort. Its large gate was closed and no monsters were assaulting it. She looked over the wall and saw it was manned. She let out a breath she had been holding as the fort came into view.

The caravan was let through the gate quickly, and the large formation of soldiers that were inside watching the gate moved to let them pass. A moon elf stood in the courtyard directing soldiers who were moving some regular people toward a doorway in the side of the inner fort. Hopefully somewhere safe for them, she thought.

The group disembarked the wagons. Ismeld helped her down from the wagon, causing her to grunt with the effort. Sloane slowly walked with Ismeld and Nemura toward the man in charge of the fort.

Captain Jorin!” Nemura called out.

The moon elf turned and his eyes narrowed as he took in the group. “Senior Guardswoman Nemura. You managed to get them out.”

“We did. Two of my squad died to monsters. We need to discuss the situation in the city.”

Captain Jorin nodded. “Let us go inside then.” He looked at Sloane and Ismeld. “I am gladdened that you and your people were able to make it out. The rest of your knights are inside the barracks. The Knight-Captain intuited that you wish to depart as soon as possible. This is acceptable, so long as we are not under attack. You should leave soon. The city is not safe, so if you will excuse me. Guardsman Yuro here will ensure you can get out of the gate when you are ready,” he said, gesturing toward a raithe that stood off to the side.

Ismeld nodded at the young man before focusing back on the moon elf. “Thank you, Captain Jorin, for all of your assistance. Guardswoman Nemura saved our lives. Fight well, and may Alos be with you.”

The man started to turn but Sloane stopped him. “Wait. What will you do now?”

He glanced back at Sloane. “We will survive the night, then, we will see about retreating to Vilstaf. We do not have the supplies needed for a protracted siege, especially with all of the civilians we are protecting. You saved thousands with your warning, Lady Sloane, and you have our thanks.”

She nodded then reached into her satchel and pulled out two letters. “Could you please see that Guildmaster Romaris receives these? One is for Reanny Farum, but he can make sure she receives it.”

He grabbed the letters she held out to him, glancing down at them before looking at her. “I will ensure these make it to them.”

“Thank you, Captain Jorin. For everything. Good luck.”

“And to you as well.”

Sloane looked at Ismeld and nodded. It was time to retrieve the rest of the knights and get out of the city.

 

* * *

 

Adaega Merbaker sat off to the side, she wouldn’t consider it brooding, exactly, but couldn’t help but feel the weight of her circumstances crash upon her. The knights that had rescued her stood together and spoke, the one named Ernald stealing glances her way. Before everything that had happened to her, and in her self-absorbed younger years, she would have assumed the man was checking her out. However, he was nothing if not a gentleman. His dark skin was smooth and oh so similar to her own, which shamed her to admit, was comforting. She had never felt more… alien than when she had been imprisoned by the blue, grey, and purple elves. 

Adaega shivered as her mind started going down the path of remembering all those monsters had done. She absently felt the scar on the back of her head, from when her braids had been forcibly cut off. It seemed even her style of hair had offended her torturers. 

“You are nothing but a pathetic mutated sun elf.” Count Kayser looked at her in revulsion, then spit as if even that comparison disgusted him. “Hmph, not even that… animal. You are no Loreni. You are nothing more than some beast. Worse than even the telv mongrels.”

“Ms. Adaega?” 

She shook her head, banishing the memory, and looked up, seeing the concerned look on Ser Ernald’s face. He knelt next to her and gently placed a gauntleted hand on her shoulder.

“You are safe now. We will be leaving the city, soon. We are just awaiting the arrival of the rest of our group,” the sun elf said, his fiery yellow eyes filled with a kindness that almost made her weep. She didn’t feel like she deserved it, she’d known only hate since arriving. Treated as less. 

She nodded then took a sip of the water she had been given. Ernald hesitated but then patted her shoulders and stood, returning to the others. She watched him walk away with a longing for the safety his presence made her feel.

Adaega observed as the knights spoke again. The red-headed one had healed her wounds, and she recalled the tears in the woman’s eyes as the telv realized her magic wouldn’t be able to heal the scars. All that torture and violence. The deaths. She closed her eyes. Haegos. All to gain magic that was already usable by others from this world. 

She’d seen the redhead’s green magic heal wounds. I felt it even. Adaega watched the large orc woman use magic to create… shields of energy. It made her so angry at how… unnecessary it had all been. How degrading and inhumane it had been to be treated as an experiment. 

Adaega winced as she looked down, seeing small drops of blood where her nails had cut into her skin. She flexed her hand and looked up at the knights as the door to the barracks opened.

Two women walked in, the first was a blonde elf woman whose shoulders dropped in what seemed like pure relief once she saw the knights. The second woman was a white woman, a human, who looked about Adaega’s age. She looked tired and dried blood sat under her nose, but as soon as the curly brunette saw the knights she smiled.

“Gisele! Maud! Deryk! Cristole!” the human woman called out.

Adaega scowled. What about… Ernald’s mouth opened as if were about to say something.

“And even you Ernald,” the woman said as she grabbed the sun elf and hugged him. 

She let go of the man and stepped back. 

“It is good to see you too, Sloane. Ismeld. What took so long?” Ernald said.

The blonde elf looked at the human and then sighed. “We ran into the count’s men before even leaving the noble district. Then the count himself on–”

“The count? Where is he? Is he coming here?” Adaega rapid-fired questions without thinking.

The two women turned and looked at her, the human’s eyes widening in shock.

The blonde shook her head. “I did not see where the count went, but he managed to leave the area where we last saw him sometime during the fight.”

Ernald looked between the two and Adaega. “Ismeld, Sloane. Allow me to introduce Ms. Adaega Merbaker.”

She stood up and walked closer to the group, reaching out to shake the human woman’s hand, only to realize there was still blood on her hand. She looked down and awkwardly kept her hand out, palm up. 

“Adaega! Let me get that,” Maud said as she pushed past the others and grabbed her hand, a feeling of relief and power filling her as she watched the small cuts on her palm close. 

Adaega looked at the telv woman. “Thank you, Ser Maud.”

“It is nothing. Please, let me know if you are hurt. I can help,” she said.

“I will. I promise.”

The human, Sloane, reached out a hand. “I am Sloane Reinhart. It is nice to meet you, Ms. Merbaker.”

Adaega grasped the woman’s hand and shook. “Please, call me Adaega. I overheard you talking, are you saying that the count could be coming here?”

The knight, Ismeld, spoke again, “I do not think he will come here. I suspect he is making his way back to the inner castle within the city. It is the most defensible location.”

Sloane nodded. “I agree with Ismeld. Now, it is a pleasure to meet you. I apologize for the terse greeting,” She glanced around. “but Ismeld and I spoke to Captain Jorin. We should leave. As soon as possible. The captain says we can leave, as long as the fort is not under attack. From all we have been through, I do not think it will  be long before the monsters attack here.”

Gisele, the orc woman, stepped forward. “We will speak on the way. For now, let us depart. The others are ready?” Sloane nodded. Gisele turned and faced the group. “Everyone, gather your things. It is time we left the city.”

Adaega watched the knights gather their equipment and packs. She had nothing, so she just waited. 

I can only hope things get better. 

 

* * *

 

Sloane stood on the hill and gazed into the distance as the morning light allowed her to see Thirdghyll. It had taken them the rest of the night, but they had finally stopped as they were far enough east and up into the hills to not have to immediately worry about monsters. The city was burning, and entire sections of buildings were rubble and destroyed. The central district appeared to have the most destruction. The fire there had raged even harder through the night, and even now a quarter of it was still on fire–including the castle. Almost as if it were by design.

She could just make out the East Fort. Sloane hoped that–

“Captain Jorin will be fine,” a voice said from beside her.

Sloane looked and saw Nemura step next to her.

“I hope so.”

“The fort still stands. They will evacuate either when things die down, or if the fire starts to threaten them.”

Sloane nodded. Captain Jorin had sent Nemura with them, ostensibly as a messenger to the nearby cities. However, once they were clear of the city and in relative safety, the big telv woman had pledged herself to Sloane and her House. It made her think that the captain had other ideas, and Sloane could only accept the generous offer of support. Although, I guess our warning really did help and the woman does seem awfully protective of me now. 

Having a second guard, and one who had trained as an actual guard would likely prove to be a godsend. At least with my luck…

“We should get back. It’s going to be a long trip to Goosebourne, Lady Sloane.”

Sloane nodded. “Let’s do that. With luck, things will go well this time.”

One step closer to finding you, Gwyn. 

I hope you are okay.

 

* * *

 

Count Sylvain Kayser stretched as woke up and sat up in his bed. He paused and glanced around, realizing that his attendant had not said anything. The man should have been waiting for him to wake.

It had been unfortunate that he had to leave his typical servant in Thirdghyll. That man would be on hand immediately. 

Sylvain had barely enough time as it was to gather what forces he could to escape the city. He had received word of the beasts just as the city was being attacked. He knew Thirdghyll would fall as soon as he heard the West Gate had been breached. That had given him just enough time to order every available man within the castle to form up for departure.

He knew that the terran had come from Valesbeck and Vilstaf. It was only logical that she was the cause of the beasts running rampant through his county and city.

He had spies follow the woman and watch her since she had left his estate. The spies managed to report word that she and her knights had killed the people he had sent after her and then killed Captain Lars and his men after Lars idiotically tried to lure the woman into a trap. He thought he could reposition his guard to kill her before leaving. It was as that imbecile terran baron had said. The woman’s witchcraft was the cause of all the issues. Clearly, she had used her dark powers to direct the beasts to attack his forces. Damn that terran woman.

His mind reflected on how the night had ended as he emerged from his tent, then covered his eyes as he adjusted to the morning light. That he had narrowly escaped the city with who he could, infuriated him. It was his city! And that… terran had ruined everything. He would regroup in Vilstaf, then return to take his seat. Then hunt that… thing down and kill her. I will spend every coin if I have to. She will…

His eyes narrowed as he realized that there was no one around at all… it infuriated him further. Not only do I have to sleep in these abysmal conditions, but the servants cannot even do their job properly. 

He walked around the tent to where the guards had set up the fire and froze. A moon elf was sitting on the throne his servants had set up by the fire for him. The man was cleaning a long dagger with what looked like one of Sylvain’s silk handkerchiefs. However, it was not the man that made him freeze. It was the bodies. 

 On the other side of the fire, was a pile of bodies stacked higher than Sylvain stood. Every one of his guards, along with his servants, lay there… casually tossed aside like refuse. Thirty men and women were killed and then unceremoniously thrown together and he had not heard a thing. How dare he.

The man looked up from his blade, setting it aside and removing the yellow hat from his head. “Ah. Count Kayser. Good morning.”

Sylvain’s eyes narrowed. “Who are you?”

“Who I am is of no import. This is not a conversation. You will answer my questions until I am satisfied, after which we will both depart.”

His head tilted in confusion. “Where will we depart to?”

Sylvain cried out in pain and fell to a knee as pain shot through his kidney. He turned his head and saw a raithe man who had not been there before. “You dare strike me?” The raithe placed a hand on Sylvain’s shoulder and squeezed, fingers digging into his skin. He winced in pain and his sight darted over to the moon elf who had stood from the throne. 

The man placed his hat back on his head, adjusting its positioning as he approached and bent down in front of him. “Now, now. I told you. This is not a conversation. Allow me to introduce myself properly. My name is Giallo. The Crown sends its regards. ”

Sylvain felt his stomach drop as a sudden fear filled him. “Wait. Now, wait a moment. I can tell you whatever you wish. I am a loyal servant of the–”

Gah!” His breath left him and he doubled over as the man in the yellow hat slammed his fist into Sylvain’s stomach. He gasped for air as felt himself being lifted and held up. 

The man, Giallo, leaned in close and spoke into his ear. 

“We are going to have so much fun, you and I. Now, let us begin.”

10