Chapter 1 – Tremors of War
183 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tremors of War

 

Some time ago

The Empire of Vlaredia was in many ways a lesson in opposites. The nation and its people were simultaneously warlike and isolationist. When faced with what they perceived as existential threats, they riled up their citizens into an almost bloodlust-like furor. This was compounded by the fact that the people resisted outsiders almost religiously and thus saw any attempt at foreign control as existential. They lived by a very simple mantra: leave me alone, or I will burn down everything you hold dear.

Some could say that conflict between the Empire and the Sovereign Cities was inevitable. The Sovereign Cities played host to the Guilds at a level not seen in other regions of the continent, and the Guilds used that ubiquity to push their influence and agenda with little impunity. Such an infringement of Imperial culture and sense of self, ironically made the Empire seem more sovereign than the very cities they found themselves at odds with.

For the Sovereigns had long been manipulated and led to believe that the Guilds were an integral part of the independent mindset of the Cities. The Guilds surely ensured that those who had a craft were able to resist being trampled by those above them. Right?

It was this idea that lay at the foundation of why the Sovereigns seemed befuddled when the Empire pushed back on the Guilds’ attempt of imposing their authority within the nation. For it seemed minor deviations of viewpoints were all that caused such a drastic and visceral reaction.

A viewpoint being discussed by the Imperial war council. The emperor had summoned his economic and interior ministers, his generals and their advisors, key commanders, and even the priests.

Commander Ressa sat off to the side and quietly observed as they spoke of skirmishes, disposition of forces, economic impact, and potentialities. The empress, in her role as the head of the imperial intelligence ministry, discussed opportunities and the weaknesses her agents had found. The surprising weakness and corruption at the heart of their other longtime rivals could potentially cause those forces to either take advantage of hostilities or simply dismiss the Sovereigns outright. A risk the council was willing to take, but not without approving a mission for the diplomatic ministry to undergo. For just because one was filled with bloodlust, didn’t mean they couldn’t enact a failsafe and strategy.

Ressa knew that they discussed all this for one reason. For the economic war that the Guilds waged in the shadows had gone too far. The Guild of Blades had struck at Imperial Free Merchants, and absconded with their goods as a tax.

Those gathered had all worked tirelessly into the night while the council discussed options, using their aids to supply needed context. Ressa herself provided desired information based on her position within the military arm of the Empire.

In the end, only one solution could be made. The Guilds had drawn their line in the sand, and the Empire would not acquiesce to the demands of foreigners willingly.

To any other nation, such a reaction would have provoked a different response, they would have seen the Guilds as the entity they were. They would not have associated the actions of one power-hungry Regional Head of the Guilds with an act of all of the Sovereign Cities. Ressa considered if perhaps that was a failing of the Empire, or maybe her countrymen had the keen ability to identify a rot that could not be allowed to afflict them again. Whatever the reason, her leaders had made their decision.

As the meeting concluded, small discussions broke out amongst various members, while others yawned, desiring sleep, the empress called upon the elite soldier.

“Commander Ressa.”

The orkun woman stood up from where she sat, saluted, and bowed her head. “Your Majesty.”

“Walk with me”

Ressa followed her Empress as she was led out of the war room. She kept her head forward, walking behind the woman, taking note of the imperial guard that trailed behind them. The man moved past the two of them and opened a door. The guard bowed his head as the empress and Ressa walked inside.

What they entered was a small sitting room with a large set of windows that overlooked the private imperial gardens. She quietly sat next to the woman and waited to be addressed.

“These gardens were originally planted by my mother-in-law just before my husband was coronated. She did it out of spite because while she permitted our marriage, she never liked me. She felt like giving me this garden would require me to take my attention away from the duties I have given myself.”

Ressa didn’t quite know how to respond, so she remained silent. The empress looked up as if contemplating and continued.

“The woman had very different thoughts on how an empress should act. When I became empress, I had the entire garden burned. I then had it replanted in the way that you see now, and have people maintain it for me. They know to keep it this way, and I let them do their duties. I have zero intention of micromanaging a garden. My purpose isn’t to be some socialite that keeps apprised of the pulse of the nobility. My husband prefers the social aspects of ruling and the day-to-day minutiae, whereas I thrive in sculpting and perfecting the big picture. In this way, we are different. I understand this. As does he. We do not care.

She must have seen the confusion on Ressa’s face because she smiled softly. “The reason I tell you this is simple. I do not care about ‘the way things have always been’. I will burn the past to the ground and rebuild something greater. I will appoint those who fit any given situation best. The future is uncertain. Our very way of life has been threatened by the changes brought by the Flash and the appearance of these terrans–or humans as some call themselves.

“You belong to one of these situations. I require you to assemble a team. You will ascertain the extent of changes and research the Sovereigns have put into this new reality we find ourselves in. Your own changes have been followed with great interest, and I expect you to take note of how to counter others such as yourself.

“If the Sovereigns field any such individuals. You will track them down and eliminate them. I predict that we are only just skimming the top of the potential of what is to come. Underestimating those with abilities could spell the downfall of our armies.”

Ressa slowly nodded her head. “I will do as you command, Your Highness.”

Her eyes narrowed as her thoughts went to everything she would need to accomplish.

“Good. You will have access to whatever you require, and you report directly to me. If you encounter the need, you have the authority to redirect any assets along the front. Do not abuse this. Ensure you requisition couriers, as I expect monthly reports.”

“Understood, Your Highness.”

“The guard will give you your orders on the way out.”

She stood and bowed to her Empress. Thoughts already moving to how best to prepare, her team would likely move into enemy territory. This would need to be accounted for. 

Ressa smirked as she received the orders from the man outside. She felt her magic ripple within her chest as a feeling of resolve overcame her. She would not fail her empress.

 

* * *

Far from the Imperial Palace of Vlaredia, in the city of Marketbol, members of the Church of the Celestials were hard at work. The high priest for the city’s primary temple had been changed by the Flash. Insight from the gods had graced him and a few others. The church had once again been blessed by the ones they worshipped.

However, while the temple was awash with activity, the Paladins of Alos were on a mission.

There had been several villages attacked recently, and the shrine priest had called for aid since the Sovereign cities had not sent any. Shalas rode with six other men and women of the order.

They were nearing the mountains south of Marketbol. All of the villages hit were within half a day's ride from the range. Based on descriptions they had received from the villagers, this was the only place where the thing that had attacked could hide. The first signs of it came when they had stopped for the night. Fortunately, it did not choose to strike.

Normally, this was not a task that would befall the Paladins of Alos. However, due to the fractured state of the Sovereign Cities, Shalas knew that she had a responsibility to protect the innocent when the leaders dithered. After all, it was her decision as the Praetor of Marketbol and the surrounding region.

That responsibility of protection was a core tenant of the order. Their purpose was to have the strength and initiative to protect the innocent and bring impartial justice to those who would violate the decrees.

She had been a member of the order for most of her life. Yet, in all of that time, none of it compared to the challenges brought upon them since the Flash.

Beasts changed by something new. Something within the very air. Praetor Shalas was another such person who had been changed. Her changes, however, did not help her with her current predicament.

As they neared the mountains, they spread out. Searching for any signs of their quarry.

It did not take long.

“Praetor.”

Shalas looked over at where Evocati Mori was standing. “Yes, Evocati?”

“I have tracks,” the man said, indicating the ground in front of him.

When she approached, what she saw was surprising. The tracks were massive. They were easily two hands wide.

She called the others to them and they readied their weapons. Following their tracker, Mori, they made their way into the mountains.

It took them much of the day, but they eventually found the cave in which the tracks led.

The smell hit them almost immediately when they entered.

Shalas instinctively gripped her spear tighter when they saw the first pile of bones.

Gesturing to her people, they spread out a line abreast. Two of her people had their bows out, arrows already nocked with more held at the ready.

A growl resounded from deep in the cave. The group slowly made their way through the tunnels until they opened into a large chamber. Across a small pond, on a hill, was what could only be described as a monster. Shalas suspected that it had once been a wolf. It stood over two meters tall. Its mottled black fur shimmered yellow. She knew then that it too had been touched by the Flash. It had been changed. Twisted.

Whatever it was now, it was feasting on the bodies of a family.

Shalas said a prayer to Relena to spare their souls.

She brought her hand up, ready to signal the attack.

They moved forward.

The monster turned its head toward them.

She brought her fist down and two arrows went flying. Another two quickly followed.

Shalas let out a battle cry as she charged.

 

* * *

 

Marketbol was an important city. Due to this, it was host to several temples like any other major city. 

It, of course, had a temple to the Family: the Temple of the Celestials. Although much smaller than Strathmore’s great temple, the Golden City of the Plains had a beautiful structure dedicated to the four major gods. Unlike Strathmore–which was the seat of the Church of the Celestials–Marketbol’s primary temple did not have dedicated facilities for each major god.

However, like most other places, Marketbol had temples for select members of the remainder of the pantheon. Marketbol chose Dylenia the goddess of commerce and Erbium the god of crafting as its patron gods. These two minor gods had two small dedicated temples within the city, while the other minor gods were represented within the consolidated Temple of the Stars.

It was rare that members of the Family had their own dedicated temples. This was by design, for it was as They desired when they spoke the First Decree. Alos, Eona, Relena, and Tenera were all to be worshipped together. In fact, there were only five locations in the world that had individual temples for them. In addition to the great temple within Strathmore, there were the Seats.

Relena’s Morthenon had been rebuilt by the ancient raithe after the Loreni Diaspora in the northeastern mountains of Ikios a millennia ago. The goddess visited the Archpriest of the time in her raithe avatar and pronounced her Decree.

Tenera’s Templum Tenebris sat in the frozen north of the elven continent, Loren. The oldest of the temples, it sat within the ancient home of the night elves.

The World’s Womb, the Seat of Eona, sat deep within the Solana Rainforest in central Loren. The location was said to be the birthplace of all life–or at least that of the Loreni.

Alos’s Sedes Solaris sat on the island of Torid between the southern coasts of the two great continents–Loren and Ikios. It was also the home of the Paladins of Alos.

It was Shalas’s home and it was times like today that she missed it. She hated the rain, and there was plenty of it outside. Marketbol rained far too often and today it appeared as soon as she and her paladins had returned from their hunt. While the others left to perform other duties, Shalas had to clean up to meet with the high priest.

Praetor Shalas grabbed a towel from one of the attendants of the temple and wiped her face. As she cleaned up and fixed her hair, two other attendants dried her armor. She bowed her head and thanked them for their service and headed to where she knew the high priest would be. 

Most temples had private chapels where the members of the church could worship in private. The high priest had one of three such chapels within the temple cleared out of all furniture. Shalas walked into the empty room and noticed a new fixture centered within. A pedestal, elegantly crafted and decorated with various likenesses of the Family’s Avatars on its shaft.

The high priest stood next to it as he awaited her.

She bowed respectfully to the man as she approached and he smiled.

“Praetor, welcome back. How did your hunt go?”

Shalas reached into the sack she carried and pulled out a large yellow orb. “It went well in two ways. We ended the monster that preyed upon the innocent, as Alos wills. And we procured an orb I believe will suit the ceremony.”

She handed the orb to the high priest and watched as he channeled his gift into it. The orb swirled with a yellow mist and the man smiled.

“This will work perfectly. Now, we should work out the details of the ceremony.”

He placed the orb at the top of the pedestal and moved so that it stood between them. Gesturing to the side closest to her, he said, “Come, Shalas. Let us establish the Ceremony of Paths. You will be the first.”

She bowed. “It would be my honor, High Priest.”

 

* * *

Present

Shalas walked into the meeting chambers within the temple. The high priest was present, as were two dwarves that she did not know. One was obviously a priest, while the other may have been a temple guard.

It was rare that she saw dwarven priests. While the dwarves did worship the same pantheon as the rest of the world, they quite often placed more prominence upon Erbium, the god of crafting, and Lysstus, the god of the hearth.

The high priest held a solemn expression, but she’d worked with the man for many years now. There was a hint of sadness in him that he was attempting to hide. “Praetor, thank you for joining us. Please, sit. We have some grave news,” the high priest said.

Shalas nodded and took the indicated seat. The dwarf priest glanced at the man with him and then took a deep breath. “Praetor. Thank you for coming. We have come from Dheg Malduhr. It…” the priest choked up and the other man placed a hand on his shoulder and leaned in close. She couldn’t hear what was said but the priest soon nodded.

“Dheg Malduhr is no more.”

Shalas gasped in surprise. Her mouth opened and closed several times, but could not speak. A city… gone? A natural disaster? The mountain? What…

The priest continued. “A terran created a weapon. A weapon that uses the energy of the gods that was brought by the Flash.”

“A weapon?” she managed to ask.

The man nodded. “Yes. There was an accident. I know not what exactly occurred, but the result was that the city was destroyed completely. That we lived was due to visiting the shrine near the pass.”

So the other man was a guard.

The guard turned toward her. “There is more. The Vlaredian Empire approached the pass. They are currently helping survivors, but I do not doubt that they will soon use it.”

Shalas’s eyes widened. If the Vlaredians get through the pass, they’ll attack Goosebourne…

The high priest sucked in a breath. He looked at Shalas. “You know the Decree. We are to remain neutral.”

Clearly, he knew what she was thinking.

“High priest–”

“Praetor. We must not interfere within the matters of nations.”

She bowed her head. “Of course, high priest. However, as Praetor, I must protect the church. After this meeting, I will send out the paladins to the temples of the region. They will have orders to provide security to our people.”

“Of course, I would expect nothing less,” the high priest agreed. He turned back toward the dwarven priest. “Now, please, tell us everything you know about these terrans. We had many here in Marketbol, but they recently left. Some are with the army.”

She heard the guard gasp lightly. It seemed that the thought of terrans with the army did not sit right with him.

After some of the promises she’d heard them make, she didn’t blame him.

 

* * *

 

A knock sounded at the door to her small office. Shalas looked up to see the high priest entering with one of the priestess-in-training behind him.

“Shalas, I am glad I caught you.”

She tilted her head. “Of course, where else would I be, high priest?”

“Were you not going to prepare the rest of the order?” he asked.

She smirked. “It is done, high priest. They have already departed.”

He nodded absently. “My apologies, Praetor. How long was I in seclusion?” He glanced at the young girl.

Shalas looked toward the window, gauging the time. She didn’t remember when the last bell had sounded.

“No more than a few bells, high priest,” the girl, Mariel, said.

The older high elf looked weary. He sat in the extra chair she had off to the side and leaned his head against the wall behind him. “I have drafted a request for the Archpriestess on behalf of the Church within the Sovereign Cities. It also includes details of the Ceremony. I would like that to be sent to the Grand Temple with haste.”

Shalas gasped. “High priest, is that not… beyond your station?”

He actually shrugged. “Perhaps. However, due to the seriousness of the situation, I feel that I am within my bounds. These terrans pose a greater danger than we know. Her Holiness must enact a Decree to protect the people of our world.”

“...What are you suggesting, high priest?” She glanced at the girl, wondering why she was present.

“We must limit how much influence they can hold over our world. Particularly when it comes to weapons. What happened at Dheg Malduhr cannot be allowed to happen again.”

Shalas agreed. Some terrans remained within the city. She’d had some of her people subtly reach out to them, and what they’d learned was… a lot. Terrans came from a variety of different societies and cultures. That was not inherently dangerous, but what was, were the ones that came from civilizations that were far more advanced. They were dangerous.

The high priest was right. They had a duty to uphold.

“I agree, high priest. I have two men that can act as couriers. However, if I may, why is the priestess-in-training present?”

A hint of yellow flickered across his eyes.

“I have begun performing the Ceremony of Paths upon members of the temple. Mariel shows great… promise. I would like you to work with her, however, I believe her gift may require her to seek experts.”

Shalas scrutinized the girl. “What is her gift?”

The high priest’s eyes closed. “I am not entirely certain. I just know that she has been blessed by more than one of the gods.”

That caused Shalas to pause.

The girl fidgeted slightly. “They have not spoken to me, high priest.”

“Ah, my girl. They speak to us in many ways. They have given you their gifts. In time you may hear their voice.”

“Where would she go for an expert? Strathmore? Unfortunately, it will be some time before I can arrange travel. I simply do not have paladins to spare.”

Surprisingly, he shook his head. “No, I do not think there is any need for that. There is an… order… within Calling that I believe would suit our needs.”

Shalas squinted her eyes, trying to remember anything about a holy order within the city of Calling. The Kingdom of Rosale was small, fairly wealthy, but not necessarily noteworthy for the church. “I am unaware of any order within Calling, high priest.”

“That is expected. It is small. We will simply have to look out for a way to get her there. In the meantime, I would like for her to train with you.”

Shalas glanced at the girl and nodded her head. “I can do that, high priest. In my spare time at least.”

“Good, good. We will have need of your gift as well, Shalas. We will need to prepare for what is to come. Now, about the Decree…”

She took a deep breath. 

“You are correct in that one will be needed. If Dheg Malduhr is any indication, it is that we must be prepared. However, we cannot let ourselves become blinded. We will ensure the trustworthiness of any terran that enters our city. There are bound to be some that we can work with. We do this to ensure the safety of our people.”

The high priest nodded. “Good. Let us get to work. We need to prepare the Ceremony for use by the public. The guards will need to be aware and know their role.”

“I will see it done, high priest.”

He nodded and stood up to leave.

Shalas glanced at Mariel one last time before the young raithe girl followed the high priest out.

She glanced back down at what she was working on. A list of known terrans and their origins. Along with how dangerous they were to their world.

If you are enjoying this story, please consider leaving a rating or review to help it gain more exposure. I’d really appreciate it! Or, you can help support me and my writing by leaving a tip! Join Patreon and read Ten (10) chapters ahead, Artificers also gain access to exclusive side stories! 

You can also head over to Patreon and just check it to see future POVs! 

Join the Discord and come chat with us!

9