Chapter 29 – The Banking Guild
180 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Banking Guild

 

As discussed in other parts of this text, society was changed at all levels, no matter the nation. One of the earliest examples of this is evident in the various Guilds. Their acceptance of magic and mana solidified the primacy of the guild system at large and even encouraged the establishment of new guilds. The two most prominent of these post Anomaly guilds, of course, are the Artificer’s and Mage’s Guilds. These two were humbly formed by trailblazers in their respective fields but developed into the influential continent-spanning organizations that we see today. However, one cannot discount the massive contributions that were made at the behest of the Banking Guild.

- A History of Mana. 184 SA

 

It was very late, and Sloane was quite literally burning the midnight oil. She was exhausted but knew there was more to do. She had spent the last few hours sketching out various designs that the guild could use for currency tracking and purchases. Badges didn't work for her. She considered pen-like cylinders but felt that was too Empire. In the end, she decided that she would just go with what she knew.

Sloane was hard at work trying to design a card that the Banking Guild would be interested in. She had a general idea of what she needed to craft but ran into a problem as soon as she considered the runework. First, she knew she needed to make the card, so figured she might as well start there. The runes could come later.

Sloane grabbed some steel and pushed her mana into it, shaping it into a small credit card. She left a slot for the “chip” that she would make from silver and some gems. Looking down, she considered the chip and what gems she would require. Sloane grabbed a sapphire, black diamond, and opal from her slowly diminishing stock and then placed them in front of her. She also picked up a small coin of silver and started shaping it into the design she wanted. It looked almost identical to the ones back home, just silver instead of gold. 

Now, time to fabricate the first true Manatek item– Oh… hey, I like that.

She picked up the gems and forced mana into them, keeping the shape and intent of what she wanted firmly in her mind. Gems were much more difficult to work with than metals, but she watched as the gems were slowly reformed into a square for the black diamond and triangles for the opal and sapphire. 

Sloane used her tweezers to gently place the gems into their slots in the chip. After which, she manipulated the silver to carefully mold a lip that would hold the gems in place. Content that the MTC, or ManaTek Chip as she had just dubbed it, was done well, she then proceeded to insert the chip into the slot on the card. Using a bit more Alteration, she melded the silver to the steel card. 

The card looked great, even if it was currently blank. Considering the look, she smiled before altering it a bit more to add a slot for another gem. A way to differentiate customer tiers.

Sloane grabbed her journal and paints and then designed the card of what she thought the final product would look like. Writing in some placeholder runes in the meantime. She would transfer the picture to a scroll later to present it to the local Guildmaster.

She was happy. Now, she needed to figure out the runework, or at least enough to make it work in a basic form. 

Sloane knew she needed approximately four runic chains. She would need one to tell the black diamond what to store. Writing her thoughts in her notebook, she considered other requirements. A runic chain would be required to act as a trigger for when it contacted a terminal device that she would also need to design. That was a headache and a half. She would need to have the sapphire hold the intent of transferring data from the card to the terminal and back. She needed some way to secure it all. Figuring out a way to have someone secure it with their mana signature would be the most ideal way to do it. If that was even a thing. I’ll need to test later. The opal would allow it to connect to the user, which should allow it to check their mana against the card's data to match them.

So, the runes she needed that she didn’t know were Secure, Mana Signature, Data, and Transfer. Data and Transfer were the important ones. She had to figure those out before the card would work at all. 

Why did I have to commit to something so soon? I barely know the runic language.

Sloane banged her head against the table a few times. Thiiink.

 She took her watch off and took it apart again. She looked at the runes and then really focused on them, channeling her mana as she did. Sloane needed more. She needed to understand them. She had tried pushing her mana into the runes before, but now she would do more. 

Sloane felt at each rune and channeled her mana through herself and the rune. She drew heavily on the blue mana her core was able to utilize. It was what helped with logic and knowledge. She pulled the mana back from the rune and refocused through her ring. Pushing herself, Sloane put her entire being into one simple concept: learning runes. She concentrated on the first symbol, trying to gain an understanding of its Intent. 

Sweat dripped from her brow as Sloane continued to push herself. However, her progress did not come without struggle, and she became increasingly tired out. It was as if she were mentally draining herself the more she channeled the mana. Just as she was about to give up on the current rune, Sloane felt something click in her mind and a rush that seemed to gather toward her core. She instantly stopped channeling her mana and sat back. Her mind was also in a rush. Where before Sloane was focusing on figuring out what runes meant, she now felt as if she had a connection to them. She looked back at the runes and sensed she could almost figure them out. She channeled her mana again and focused it on the feeling she had.

There was a difference almost immediately. She now felt her ability to read them had grown, in just a few moments too. How does that work? Sloane scrutinized the previous rune again and she discerned its meaning nearly instantaneously. That rune stood for [Repair], which was going to be very beneficial to know. Also, great to know my watch has a self-repair function. However, it wasn’t useful now. 

She went to the runework connected to the black diamond and examined it. The effect was the same. Now, this is exactly what I need. Sloane had found the runic chain for [Store: Knowledge]. That alone solved a massive requirement she had. 

With that success, she continued. Sloane located and deciphered runes for [Combine], [Mana], and [Time]. Her head was starting to throb so she stopped channeling all mana. The action caused the pain to lessen, which led her to believe there was a connection between mana use and mental strain. 

Sloane sat back and considered her options. First, she had just figured out how to finish her Flashbang grenades. Second, she obtained what she needed for a prototype. While she didn’t have a way to transfer currently, Sloane figured she could try and figure that out on the way to Marketbol. 

Grabbing her small set of engraving tools, she got to work. Sloane hadn’t had a chance to create an engraving pen yet and didn’t have silver ink, so she would have to use magic to alter some silver when she was done.

Before starting the engraving process, Sloane wrote out the runework she would need for the prototype. She needed the [Store: Knowledge] chain, then she could use [Combine] instead of Transfer for the time being. So, the next that would be needed was the chain to send and receive data, [Combine: Knowledge] [Use: (Detect: Trigger)].  The terminal would have a trigger that the chip would contact. 

Sloane nodded. That’s all I can do for now. Let’s hope it works. She got to work on engraving and performing the finishing touches on the card.

 

* * *

 

Sloane woke up to a knock on the room’s door. She groaned and shambled to open the door, finding Cristole standing there with a smile. 

“You’re not ready?” He asked in a far more pleasant tone than she needed that early.

“Of course not. I was up all damn night. What do you want, Cristole?” Yeah, I am not a morning person.

“We need to leave soon. I figured I would check on you since you missed breakfast.” he cheerfully informed her, purposefully not letting his eyes drift up to look at the mess her hair was in.

Sloane groaned again. 

“Be right down.”

Sloane shut the door in his face before he could open his cheery mouth.

She looked around her room and took a deep breath before getting ready.

 

* * *

 

Sloane and Cristole walked down the street toward the Banking Guild. She felt a lot better than when she had first woken up but was still a bit nervous about meeting with the person in charge of the local branch. However, she was also excited to see if there had been any developments as yet from Reanny and Mulinn. Then, on the flip side, getting an account with the guild also came with the realization that she and Gwyn may never go home. 

Basically, I’m on a rollercoaster of emotions.

Cristole explained what they would do, “So, we’ll meet with the Guildmaster first, and then afterward we can get your account for your House all set up. I brought all of your documents.” 

“Alright. I’m ready to begin Operation Noble Pretender.” Sloane stated seriously.

“Sloane, serious. This is important, even if we were just meeting to talk. Frankly, I am surprised we were able to meet with the Guildmaster this quickly.”

“I’m being serious. Cristole, I fully understand how make or break this meeting will be.”

“Good.” He paused as they passed through a group of people that were crossing the road before stepping up to a beautiful Romanesque-style stone building with five tall pillars lining the front. “Because we’re here. How did you say it before? Put your face game on?”

Sloane chuckled. “My game face is on and primed for action.” 

Wait… She groaned internally. That’s what she said.  “So to speak…Whatever, let’s do this.”

When they walked in, they stepped into a massive lobby and looked up at a statue of an intricately adorned telv woman who looked down upon all who entered the guild.

“The goddess Dylenia. She is the goddess of commerce. The guild maintains that anyone who attempts to cheat them should hope that Dylenia mercifully smites them first, for the guild will have no mercy in their retribution. They have backed up that statement for over a century now.”

Sloane nodded. “Impressive.” They walked around and toward a central desk where a few raithe and telv were meeting with customers. She followed Cristole to a separate line where there was a moon elf couple that wore nicer clothing than the others within the guild. The woman gave Sloane a once-over before turning back and quietly resuming a conversation with her husband.

Cristole leaned over and whispered in her ear, “This is the counter for nobles. The attendants who will interact with us have additional training to deal with any of the nobility or their servants who may have business with the guild.”

“Understood.” Sloane gazed around, taking in the slights. There was a cage with seven windows in front of a massive vault door across from her. She turned and looked behind them and took note of the offices that lined the wall. Toward the back, there was a staircase that snaked up to a floor above.

The two waited a few minutes until the noble couple in front of them finished their business and stepped away toward the offices. The raithe associate took one look at Cristole and Sloane, “One moment, please.” 

He walked to a telv that seemed to be overseeing the area and whispered to him. The telv looked over, definitely taking in their looks before walking over and addressing them.

“Good morning. How may the Guild assist you today?” 

Cristole smiled. “Good morning. We have an appointment with the Guildmaster. I am Ser Cristole Leblanc and this is Baroness Sloane Reinhart of House Reinhart of Blightwych.”

The telv kept a professional demeanor as Cristole spoke, and didn’t react at all to anything Cristole said. She supposed the man had met far more important people than a simple “baroness.”

“Welcome to the Banking Guild of Thirdghyll, Milady and Ser. I am Aimon Roderik.” He looked down at a log on the desk in front of him. “I see your appointment right here. Thank you.”

Aimon looked at Sloane. “Milady, I see that you do not currently have an account with the guild. Will you be opening one with us today?”

“I intend to, Mr. Aimon. After the meeting with the Guildmaster, of course.” 

“Wonderful, milady. I will ensure everything is prepared for when you have concluded your business. Would you like me to give you an overview of our services?”

Sloane asked Cristole, “Could I have the guild’s copy of the contract, please?”

Cristole nodded, retrieving the requested document from the satchel he wore. 

Grabbing it, she returned her focus to Aimon. She explained as she handed it to him. “I have a contract with some merchants from Vilstaf. I would like to have it reviewed and affixed to my account. The Guild should already have the merchant’s authorization and transactions waiting for the account’s creation. Lastly, I would like to deposit some of the funds that I have accumulated thus far.” 

Aimon briefly scanned over the contract and nodded. “I am aware of this contract, actually. Our connection to Vilstaf arrived a few days ago to establish the hold on funds for you. I will ensure it’s ready for your review and approval when you return. 

“As far as services, this is just one of them. We also maintain an account for you and ensure it is up-to-date all over West Ikios. Further, as a member of the nobility, we will act as mediators or consultants for any transactions you wish to make for a small fee. Our esquires are some of the best in the region. Lastly, we can manage your finances or assist in hiring competent personnel who can do so for your House.”

Sloane followed along. The services seemed fairly standard from what she was used to, and was sure she would hear more when she returned from her meeting. 

“Thank you. I look forward to doing business with your Guild. I may actually take you up on the offer to assist with financial consulting.”

Aimon gave his best service face and smiled. “The Guild looks forward to assisting with any needs House Reinhart may have.”

He annotated some notes on some forms and placed the contract with other documents he already had set aside for her. Looking back up, Aimon smiled again. “I will inform the Guildmaster that you have arrived. He will send an attendant when he is available to meet with you. If you would please take a seat over here.” He gestured to some cushioned chairs and small tables arranged and decorated with some potted plants.

“Thank you for your time, Mr. Aimon,” Sloane said with a grin. 

The telv twitched before smiling and giving her a slow nod. Huh, who’d have thought being polite would elicit a reaction? 

Cristole looked at her with a raised brow before leading her to the chairs. 

They had barely sat down before an attendant brought them a pitcher of water and some glasses.

She and Cristole spoke while they waited for the meeting. 

“So, remember. You simply need to impress him. You don’t need to try to make a deal. The deal will be in Marketbol. You only need his recommendation so that they will take you more seriously.” Cristole reminded her.

“Understood. We got this.” 

Cristole raised his hand and pointed at her. “No. You got this. I’ll be waiting in the back as your escort. You’ll be meeting alone.” 

Sloane raised a brow. “I didn’t expect that.”

“You’ll be fine. Here, one second.” 

They waited as a moon elf woman walked toward them from the stairs she had just descended. 

“Lady Reinhart?”

Sloane nodded. “Yes?”

“Please, right this way. The Guildmaster will see you now.”

Sloane looked at Cristole, who smiled at her and stood up.

She pumped herself up, mentally preparing herself for an important meeting. A technology pitch, of all things, was something she had extensive experience with. A tech pitch in a fantasy world, though, would be new.

I got this. All of this is for Gwyn. Any benefit I gain only improves my odds of finding her.

14