Chapter 51 – The Walls Have Ears
118 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Walls Have Ears

The terrans, no matter their true origin, seemed to have a quote, saying, or proverb for everything. An interesting cultural tic, that is not unique to their culture, but is of a pervasiveness that evidently was an important developmental tool for their societies and peoples. Many of these small quotes held generalized snippets of wisdom, while others were completely pointless, with even more seeming to conflict with another. Some scholars contend that this practice even exacerbates the typical distrustful and paranoid inclinations indicative of the people on average. However, the extent to which they seem to dictate everything they do is a key window into their cultural mind. Thus, study should be encouraged as to better understand them. 

“All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts, but that it is magnetic to the corruptible.”

“A prince should have a spy to observe what is necessary, and what is unnecessary, in his own as well as in his enemy’s country. He is the king's eye; and he who hath him not is blind.”

 

- A Cultural Study of the Terran Peoples. 32 SA. Q. Brannigan.

 

Sloane kept an eye on the elf next to her as he drank another shot of liquor she had poured. He had placed his yellow cap on the bar in front of him, and she scrutinized the strangely colored headwear. It seemed similar to a flat cap from what she knew of the Tudor Era but was slightly different in how it fit to accommodate long ears. There was a thin braided cord of black that wrapped around the hat above the brim. The falcon had moved from its spot on her shoulder to the counter of the bar next to her.

The man himself seemed about her age, and he seemed exceptionally fit in a way that seemed almost odd from what Sloane could tell. The man appeared more like what she imagined a modern soldier would look like than those she had seen around—even the knights. He had an almost aloof demeanor, for despite having asked for shots, he hadn’t really said much else. There was a surety in his actions as if every movement was planned and scripted to have a specific reaction. The elf was a man who was very sure of his capabilities.

After another shot, he turned over his glass and placed it on the counter. He tilted his head slightly. “I have been told that you wished to meet us.” 

Sloane looked around, noticing for the first time that they were alone. Was there even anyone else down here other than the bartender when I entered? She wasn’t sure who “us” was, but she knew that giving away information freely was a bad idea, especially since there had been proof that the group and she, specifically, were being spied on.

“And who is us? Or even you for that matter?” she asked.

“You may call me… Giallo.” 

Sloane’s eyes widened in surprise. “Do you even know what that means?”

“A fine man told me it was the color of my hat in his language. A tongue I believe you speak as well.”

“That still doesn’t tell me who you are,” she said, containing her surprise at another mention of someone who spoke Italian.

“I told you earlier. I work for the Academy.”

Sloane nearly sighed out loud. She had zero patience for such deliberate ambiguousness. Thinking back to her talks with Deryk, she was starting to suspect the elf’s origin. She had no way to confirm it though. “How do I know you are what you say you are? Anyone can just say they work for your… organization.”

Giallo smirked. “I will give you some free information. Mr. Rowe will no longer be a problem for you. However, we were able to learn that he meant no physical harm to you. He simply wished to extort you for his own gain. His true goal was to wrest control of the central district from the count. That is now irrelevant, though.”

Sloane considered what he had said. She had been wondering about Mr. Rowe. Yet, there was no way to investigate something like that. At least not without drawing unnecessary attention. She took a moment to think about how to phrase her next questions. 

“What about the humans he took? His people tried to harm or kill me.”

“Wryaat!” Her falcon did not like the sound of that.

Giallo glanced at the falcon perched on the counter before looking back at her. “His people were simply overzealous with their instructions. They were told to bring you to him, alive. You did manage to ensure they paid for that mistake. Luckily for you, the Guildmaster has taken a liking to you. He had the scene cleaned before the sun even set.

“The other man met the end of a blade not long after leaving the scene. As for the terrans, he was only able to coerce two into working with him, both adults.” 

The guildmaster had alluded to fixing the mess she had made in that alley. She wondered if Lanthil knew how closely these people were watching him. However, with so many different entities spying on each other and enacting some sort of shadow war, she couldn’t take too many chances. She swirled the bottle of liquor she was still holding, thinking.

She glanced over at the man who politely waited on her. “I am unsure whether we should speak further here. The walls have ears.”

He tilted his head. “I like that saying. Very terran. However, in this case, we are the ears in the walls. No one in this country, let alone the very city we call home, will listen in on what we do not wish to be heard. What we discuss here will only be heard by you and me. That said, I will of course inform my superiors.”

Sloane nodded. She expected that he would tell others. What she didn’t expect, was how confident he was. She wasn’t sure whether it was arrogance or a simple fact, however. She poured a small amount of the brown liquid into her glass and took a sip, wincing as she did. “What of other terrans? You clearly know a lot. Why didn’t you help the terrans the count had?”

Giallo took a deep breath, then slowly let it out. His face fell. “It was a failure on our part. A member of ours sought wealth, and sold himself to the count.”

Sloane nodded, it reminded her of another old saying. “It's not the water around the boat that sinks it, but that within.” This guy isn’t exactly inspiring confidence. She sighed. Easy, Sloane. You just need his information.

The elf raised a brow at that. “Indeed, and that leak was dealt with swiftly. We unfortunately cannot move against the count. It is fortuitous that a situation will soon arise that will allow us to rectify that issue.”

“A situation?” She turned and gave the man a pointed look. “You also didn’t say anything about the terrans.”

He nodded. “Yes, a situation. You and your knights should leave the city within the week.” Giallo shook his head slightly before continuing, “As for the terrans, there are one hundred and nineteen accounted for in the kingdom. Twenty-seven are children. Besides you and Baron Bolton, there are six other nobles. Four are children. None match the description of your daughter. Only three of the children are within the range of six to eleven years old.” 

Sloane’s heart dropped. She opened her mouth to ask another question, but then closed it. If Gwyn isn’t in Westaren, where is she?

“How many of those terrans arrived with someone they knew?” she asked.

“Fourteen pairs. Were you and your daughter touching when you were transported?”

Sloane shook her head, curious as to why he asked that. “No, she was right next to me though. She had jerked away in surprise.”

Giallo nodded. “This is beneficial information for us. Of those fourteen, eight were embracing when the Flash occurred. The remaining were touching but at varying degrees. The most recent pairing was barely touching fingers, and they arrived on separate sides of the country.” 

Sloane sucked in a breath. The man gave her a sympathetic look. “Your daughter is likely out there. It just seems unlikely she is in Westaren.”

“Why are you giving me all of this information?”

The man stared at the bottle she still held, as if considering whether another shot would be a good choice. He took a deep breath, coming to a decision. “The war between the Vlaredia Empire and the Sovereign Cities is not going well. In fact, it is only getting worse. We wish to stay out of the conflict. As you can see, we have our own issues to settle, and Westaren isn’t the only place with a surge of… monsters. We want you to take a message to Goosebourne, Marketbol, and Swanbrook.”

It did not surprise her that he knew exactly which cities they were traveling to. The news about the war was a bit of a shock, however. Sloane would need to travel through the Sovereign Cities to reach Avira. Still, getting out of this city would be good, and even the country now that she had a solid idea that Gwyn was not in Westaren. “What is the message?”

“Vlaredia moves for the Malduhr Pass,” he said.

“Just that? Who do I even tell it to?”

Giallo nodded. “Yes, only that. Take the message to…” He leaned forward and whispered three names and where to find them in her ear.

Sloane’s head jerked up in surprise. “Wait… really? You guys really have a muffin man who lives on Drury Lane?”

Giallo tilted his head in confusion. “What are you talking about?”

“You said to find the baker on Drury.”

The spy’s face grew dark. “Yes, the Baker. I do not know what a muffin is, but do not test him. Even I would fear crossing him.”

Well… that’s ominous. She would write the names and locations down as soon as she get back to her room.

He sat back and pulled a small rolled scroll out of his pocket. “Give this to Ser Deryk. It is information on how to retrieve the last terran the count has kept. We will not be able to retrieve her. We request that your knights help her, and then take her with you.”

Sloane looked down. She remembered what Stefan had said about the woman being held. She was sure the knights would attempt an extraction, but there was something that still bothered her. “What is the situation?”

Giallo tilted his head slightly. “The same thing that occurred in Valesbeck will soon occur here. My organization will take advantage of the… distraction… to deal with the count.”

Sloane’s eyes widened. They mean to let the beasts attack the city with no warning? Just so they can kill the count?

“What of the men the count sent out?”

“They’re dead. He sent far too little. The crown has levied forces that even now march toward Thirdghyll. They will not arrive before the city falls.”

“B-but… What about all the people?”

Her bird looked at her. “Wrrryat?”

He narrowed his eyes. “This city is a breeding ground of dissent and corruption. You terrans seem to enjoy sayings with a facade of depth. Here is one for you: ‘Sometimes, a town must be burned to save a nation from plague.’”

Sloane scowled, anger rising. “You’re going to let everyone die. Innocent people.”

“It is too late to do anything. The swarm will arrive within the week. You must use that distraction to escape. Head to Goosebourne. Deliver our message. Do not worry yourself over our city. Nothing you can do will change its fate.”

“You can warn them! You can have them evacuate or board up their doors and windows. Anything to give them a chance.” Her mind went to Reanny and the dwarf woman’s brother. ”What about Vilstaf?”

“Lady Reinhart. Please lower your hand. I do not wish to fight or cause you harm,” he said.

Sloane looked down and noticed a Mana Bolt was hovering just above her raised hand. She didn’t even remember channeling it. With a thought, she dismissed the spell, and the connection to mana dissipated. She was angry. There has to be something I can do. 

He nodded when the orb disappeared, seemingly content that they would not have to fight. “If we warn anyone, the count and his forces will become aware. The various groups that worked under Mr. Rowe would also get word. That said, I will permit you to warn the guildmaster. We do not wish the ire of the Guilds.”

Gisele will know what to do.

“Fine.” she ground out.

Giallo abruptly stood up, retrieving his hat from the bar top and replacing it on his head. “And with that, My Lady, I will bid you a pleasant night.”

He turned to walk away, but she called out. “Wait! You didn’t tell me about Vilstaf.”

The elf turned his head. “Vilstaf is fine. The monsters are moving south of the lake. Guildmaster Romaris would benefit from leading an inspection of the town.” He moved to the door that led outside. 

Sloane finally set down the bottle she had been holding and called out to Giallo as he opened the door. “You’re doing the wrong thing by condemning your people to die.”

Giallo paused, his shoulders rising and falling as he took a deep breath. “Sometimes…” He glanced up as if he were considering what to say. “the leak is simply too large, and all the warning in the world will not save a sinking ship. The rats would flee, only to infest somewhere else. I… we will not let the corruption and crime here escape to drag down the rest of the kingdom. It is a heavy burden to protect the many for the price of a few.”

“I hope you can bear that cost, Giallo,” Sloane said.

“As do I, Lady Reinhart. As do I.”

The elf gave her one last glance, then walked out into the night.

Sloane looked through the empty room at the stairwell. She needed to speak to Gisele immediately, then pass the small scroll to Deryk. Everything was going to start moving quickly. She needed to talk to Stefan as well. Romaris would require a warning. She had to speak to Rel, Kemmy, and Koren. The three of them needed to be prepared to leave soon. Especially Koren. The two alchemists were definitely ready, what with being without a home or shop currently.

“Let’s go… uhh… yeah, you need a name.” I’ll have to deal with that soon, but not right now. I need to talk to Gisele.

“Wrryat!” 

Committed to a plan of action, she got up and headed for Gisele’s room. 

The falcon took off from the counter, flew a circle around her, then landed on her left shoulder.

9