Chapter 5: The Great Fire
29 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The charred scent of wood filled his nostrils as he ran. He ran with a terrible ache that was now not in his head but in his heart instead. Without a single thought, he just ran when the only thing that occupied his vision was that orange demon that was trying to devour his people.
He started coughing viciously as he got to the village, due to the thick, black smoke that had taken residence in his lungs. Tears started dripping from his vulnerable eyes which had been attacked by the ruthless fumes that emitted the great fire. His heartbeat started escalating as he realized that every single of the houses had been ignited with fire that burned in red and orange. The fire blazed with such ferocity that it seemed like it had been summoned from hell itself. His body was drowning in sweat, but he couldn’t figure out whether it was from the temperature around him, or from the fear that preying on him. His worst fears became a reality when he saw his own house burning, along with many others. But the worst happened when his ears got filled with the gut-wrenching screams of his mother, screaming for help, shrieking for anyone to save her.
He felt his whole body tremble in violent jolts even when the flame was almost touching his delicate skin. “Mother!!”, he screamed at the top of his lungs as he bolted towards the house, which was barely even standing. He ran with a mind so blank that he couldn’t even feel the fire that had now started burning him when suddenly he was halted back. Someone was hugging him from behind with an iron grip as he writhed while screaming. He struggled, trying to break free from his oppressor, trying to go back to his family: his father, his brother and his mother, who still screamed in agony, in desperate attempts to stay alive.
Abner felt long, calloused fingers playing with his hair, combing them, petting them, as he found himself lying on a soft, pillowy mattress while a wool blanket covered his body. He slightly lifted his eyelids when the jarring light rushed into his poor eyes through the small opening it got. Everything around him looked hazy as if a fog had taken his mind hostage. Those dark blond yet silky hair seemed oddly familiar. Abner winced when he tried to move his hand.
“Hey, thank God you’re awake”, the person sitting beside him said, "I thought I had lost you too".
He tried to focus, but his body lost all consciousness, again.

3