Story 1: A rosen wish
50 6 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I'm leisurely tapping my foot on the ground, my gaze fixated on the rose before me. Slowly, one petal after another falls. The once silky red flower is now dry and has lost its entire elegance. Carefully, I take out the withered rose. Then I hurry to get a new one, because every few days I replace them. At the beginning, they are alluring and enchanting. You won't even realize the failures in its beauty. But with time they turn ugly, showing me that nothing is eternal. Every rose that is cut off, just like me, has died. Before I die like that, I would rather disappear into nothingness. I really wish I would.

Without warning, a strong gust comes up and something starts to glow in front of me. Out of fear, I shut my eyes tightly, my arms lifted to protect me. But nothing happens... Cautiously, I dare to take a look. First I open my right, then my left eye to catch sight of a strange, young boy of my age in front of me. His pink hair shimmers in the soft sunlight and his amber eyes gleam. With a gracious curtsy he bows to me. 
His mouth is twisted into a teasing smile and with a light yet energetic voice he speaks to me," You called me Miss?" 
Still a bit startled, I look at him in confusion.
Then the boy says, "Every day you tell the roses your deepest wishes. How can I, a prestigious demon called Rosy von Mayrhofer, not feel touched? Simply assume that you summoned me." 
Unsure, yet with some courage, I approach the so-called demon. "I don't understand...."
"Tell me what you desire the most and I will let your wish come true, if you give me your soul in return. Doesn't that sound great?"
I look at the dried rose. "If you truly can fulfill me a wish, then I would like to live in an endless world, that's far away from here. A world without any sadness or sorrow." 
Rosy makes a displeased face and flicks painfully against my forehead. "What an easy task."
Shortly after, I find myself in another world. I feel light and empty. Dazed, I drift around. Suddenly, Rosy takes my hand.
"Well then. Are you satisfied?"
Unsettled, I squeeze his hand. "This is everything I ever wished for but...-!"
"But that's not entirely true, right?", says the demon boy while he tentatively leans towards me.
I try to disagree, yet I can't....
"Just like I thought. This is not what you really wish for. Don't try fooling a demon." 
I take a deep breath and sigh. Next I reply: " I just don't want to...stay here in this mansion forever and be cut off from the world out there." 
"Then why don't you just go outside?" 
Hesitantly, I muster him. When there is someone who offers to listen, it wouldn't matter if I just told them what's burdening me, right?
  "I ...refused to acknowledge the way my parents want my life to be. That's why I am forced to stay within my room and the rose garden as punishment, until I admit I was wrong... But if I do, wouldn't I just be their puppet and no longer a human being with feelings?"
Rosy remains silent. In wonderment I look up at him. His gaze is full of pain and regret. I wonder why a demon would feel that towards a mere human? Then he slaps his cheeks to snap out of it. Suddenly, everything around me blurs. The next moment, we are back in reality, on the estate's roof. A cold wind blows towards me and a shiver runs down my spine. I hadn't even noticed how cold it has become. Then I look up at the stars in the sky.
"It's night?", I ask with a joyful twinkle in my eyes. 
I haven't seen the stars that clearly in a long time.
"Do you like the night?"
"Yes, the sky's twinkling is soothing. I always feel better after looking at it."
Rosy averts his eyes from the stars to look at me with curiosity. "Why?" 
"I believe that the hearts of happy people are so delightful that they turn into crystal roses and then shine in the night sky with joy and beauty. There are so many stars, that I can be at ease, knowing that there are many people living a happy life." 
" That's a beautiful way of thinking. "
I laugh. Somehow, Rosy doesn't feel like a demon at all. For a while we simply sit there, enjoying each other's company and chatting.
"Right now, it feels like we have known each other forever." 
Stunned, Rosy replies: "Yeah." 
"And if I..wish for you to be my friend and stay with me?"
"Are you sure? You could wish for everything!" says Rosy agitated.
"It's fine, as long as you're with me." 
Rosy blushes. "I see." 
We smile at each other brightly. Then I hear him murmur something in a soft tone.
You didn't change one bit.
 "Huh, have we met before?"
"Yeah, a long time ago. Longer than a lifetime, Cecilia. "

2