Chapter 6 – What’s So Special?
218 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"So, why is today important?"

 

Erik asked as Jeria walked forward, looking around at people walking by towards a seemingly common destination. Some of the students saw her and waved brightly, her echoing the same. Her red hair fluttered behind her as she walked onwards, keeping her eyes trained forward.

 

"Today... there's a test."

 

Erik waited for something more, since Jeria knew that he didn't understand. Or remember.

 

"...And?"

 

"What does it concern you?"

 

Jeria snidely remarked. Erik stumbled over a loose rock in the path.

 

"I'm curious. If it is a test… what comes after?"

 

Jeria stopped and turned around, looking at Erik, concentrating on his face. Erik took a step back, unsure of what she was trying to do. She took a deep breath.

 

"Alright... the test, it is of two parts. One, we demonstrate what we have learnt so far, both physical and as you've seen yesterday, magic."

 

Erik shuddered, the sight of the flaming demon beating him senseless filling his mind. She turned around and began walking again, leading them towards the town centre.

All throughout their path here, Erik had noticed that there were quite the number of decorations and shops set up. He surmised that the test was more like a festival of sorts as he passed by numerous stalls of fried delicacies, trinkets and jewellery carved out of shimmering gemstones. 

 

"And the second part?"

 

"I was getting to it. So for the second part, it is a sparring tournament. The winner gets to go to the Royal Academy."

 

Erik looked confused. He inquired again,

 

"But only one?"

 

"Mhm, the rest get picked up by different teachers and other academies if they demonstrate such capabilities. Of course, given our small town, this might be the only batch of students for a few years. The juniors aren’t old enough yet."

 

Jeria sighed, her eyes passing over a gemstone jewellery stall, a rather stout and scruffy man at the front, shouting out prices and qualities. She was still thinking of yesterday, how the basket slipped from Erik's hand as the water… lashed and pulled him under. She shuddered, remembering the unusual cold of the river and the immense fire she had made to fight back.

 

It took a toll on her energy reserve, she wasn't sure if she could display something worthwhile at the test now.

 

"Do you wish to go to the Royal Academy?"

 

Jeria remained silent, still walking onwards. Her teachers came into view, they were corralling a bunch of students towards one side, making a count of the ones present so far. One of them sent someone off with an angry look to fetch a fellow student quickly.

 

"Hmm... I suppose not. I don't fancy such."

 

"Then why are you giving the test?"

 

Jeria's eyes suddenly filled with hate as she looked at a taller blond boy amongst the student group. He was surrounded by five or so boys, all of them dressed similarly in rich clothes, him in the most noble clothes of them all. Someone accidentally bumped into him at that moment and he shoved them to the ground hard. The other boys quickly kicked the boy while he was down, staining him with mud. The teacher merely told the group to stop it and then turned away. Jeria gnashed her teeth as she responded,

 

"Because, we've been training for three years and that bastard Luke has been a prick in my side and everyone else’s every step of the way. The sparring test is my chance to get back at his snide and stupid face."

 

"Have I trained?"

 

"...No. You're not Awakened… and at this rate, you... probably won't."

 

"What does that mean, Awakened?"

 

The teacher caught sight of Jeria, a look of relief flooding her face. She beckoned her over while Jeria nodded her head, feeling a guilty sort of way explaining any further. 

 

"It means, your power is awake. You can use an element. Like I do my fire. Only Awakened get training."

 

"What do I do to get Awakened?"

 

Jeria turned around.

 

"Erik. Stop."

 

Silence descended around them. Both were locked in a staring match but Erik didn't understand, all he was doing was asking questions.

 

There was a look of hurt in Jeria's eyes.

 

"What?"

 

"I... I have to go."

 

Jeria turned around, quickly stepping towards the group of corralled students.

 

"Wait-"

 

"Go home."

 

She said as she continued on her way, quickly blinking her eyes and taking a deep breath. While it was true that no one decided how or when someone Awakened, Jeria still didn't like the fact that she was the only one that Awakened. 

 

The two had always talked about how they would become the best and go on adventures, slay beasts and become stronger but now... here was Jeria, taking the next step while Erik was doomed to become just another farmer who tended to the fields. She stood in front of the teacher, not once looking back at Erik who wouldn't move from his spot. Suddenly, he called out,

 

"Do your best, Jeria! Kick that blond donkey's ass!"

 

Murmurs went around as Luke and many others looked at Erik with piercing eyes. Very few dared to speak to the nobles… and even fewer would call for their thrashing and live to tell the tale. Yet here was Erik, an Unawakened who had no idea what he just did. But Jeria chuckled, bursting into a grin.

 

She would give it her all.

3