Chapter 10 – Grabbing Talents
192 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sun cast shadows of the gathered figures, the sky a clear blue with a few clouds wisping away in the distance. A chill set in with the silence after the exit of the Royal Academy. The eyepatched woman cracked her neck to the side, stretching her arms above her head, her fiery aura settling in around her.

"Well... she's mine."

"The noble's mine."

Her blue-eyed companion declared. From nearby, someone chuckled, grabbing their attention. Looking to the source, they found a black-haired woman in dark purple robes that revealed much of her bountiful chest, much to the scorn of some wives while to the peeps of husbands and old men. Of course, some mothers took a peep as well.

She turned around in her seat, a smirk on her face.

"The Water Strikers must have lost their touch with reality. What benefit are you to a Lightning Elemental?"

The man frowned, the gears in his mind turning. He turned to the eyepatched woman, fixing her red-black robes for some aid. She simply remained silent, giving a defeated smile.

“She’s right yaknow. See ya!”

With that, she hopped over the seats into the testing ground. Approaching a panting and reddened Jeria, barely able to stand, she immediately propositioned,

"I am Raka of the Volcanic Beasts Academy. I wish to invite you to study and grow at our Academy."

Jeria was taken aback. She didn't expect this.

"But... the fighting round.."

She said between gasps. The announcer thought of stepping up and defusing this situation but Raka was quicker.

"Unneeded. We have seen all we need to see, I'm sure the rest of the seniors gathered are in Agreement?"

She said, turning around. The seniors coughed and hacked before ultimately sighing and vocalizing their agreement, not wanting to antagonize someone from the Volcanic Beast Academy. Raka smiled.

"So, what is your name, trainee?"

Jeria's eyes turned downwards. Luke's hateful gaze pierced at her being. The seniors of the various academies spread across Sevrein jumped the fence, all approaching Luke.

"Greetings, o prodigy of Mekillan House! Let me get straight to my proposition. The Fanning Flames Academy invites you to study with us."

"Greetings, Luke Mekillan. I am the senior of the Timber Adventuring group. We would like you to be part of our team."

"Greetings from the Dancing Lightning Academy! We would like to invite you to study as our prized Court Disciple."

"The Still Mountains School would like to gift the Mekillan House with an Eighth Rank Shielding armament!"

"You... The Fanning Flames Academy offers Ninth Rank Weaponry armament! Not one but two!"

"The Dancing Lightning Academy implores you to make a decision. That said, we offer entry into our treasury's inner ring, should you choose us."

Much ruckus was made as offers kept shooting out. At that moment, the woman in purple robes jumped into the sky, purple lightning crackling at her feet as she landed on the ground, approaching Luke. Jeria and Raka turned to look at this woman as she strutted forward.

"Greetings Luke Mekillan of the Noble Mekillan House. I am Weijun of the Striking Bolt Clan. I would like to offer an apprenticeship at our academy as well as high consideration for entry into the Court of Exalis."

Murmurs went around. Many knew of the influence and power of Striking Bolt Clan but very few were aware of their position within the Court of Exalis, A powerful location which greatly accelerates training guarded and maintained by an alliance of seven clans. Luke Mekillan was one of these knowledgeable people.

His eyes glinted as he stifled a smile, completely forgetting Jeria as he responded,

"I, Luke Mekillan, accept the apprenticeship of the Striking Bolt Clan."

The woman gave a devious smile as her purple eyes crinkled, having snatched up such a talent with ease. The rest of the seniors quietened down, able to do nothing now since Luke himself took the offer. They sighed, clicking their tongues and shaking their heads as the rest of the trainees approached them. All was forgotten of the Royal Academy.

Suddenly, as if remembering there were others, the seniors made an "ah" noise as smiles and friendly attitudes returned to their faces. They began to approach the trainees, asking them to display their element again as they pondered which trainees to pick. The atmosphere was a festive one as parents and people entered the grounds, proudly standing behind their still standing children while a select few rushed off to the side, asking the grey robed healers about the state of their boys and girls.

Only a few elders followed them, mostly to glean any insights from their injuries, having been in such close proximity to two warring elemental arts.

Erik had long since gotten up from under the seat, thanking the old man as they both hopped into the grounds. He passed by the dance troupe as they were readying to leave. Thinking of something, he lightly patted one of the member's shoulders to grab her attention.

She turned around, making a questioning face.

"Yes?”

"Uh, I was thinking... the strange water you used? Yeah, did your team make it?"

She flashed a smile as she nodded her head in agreement. Erik continued,

"During the performance?"

This made her chuckle as she looked around her at the gathered crowd. They seemed to be busy with their own, some focused on the purity of a glowing fire ball while others were joking along and budding with some trainees. Today was a big day. The last of their trainings… all summed up.

She took a deep breath as she closed the distance between Erik and herself, making him shift backwards a bit as his cheeks tinged pink. Gazing into his eyes, Both of them could feel the warmth from each other's faces. She spoke,

"Dancers make preparations."

She lifted her finger to her lips before turning around and walking away, her hips swaying in Erik's captured eyes. The old man chuckled as he patted Erik's back. He coughed as he turned around,

"What, you old man?"

He simply gave a crinkly smile. Meanwhile, in front of Jeria, Raka spoke again,

"Well then, what is your name?"

Erik turned his head around, seeing Jeria snap her head up at the repeat of the question.

"I... am Jeria Kerin. Daughter of Lovia and Arlo Kerin."

She turned her head, seeing Erik looking at her. She muttered just loud enough for Raka to hear,

"And that is my brother."

Raka turned to look at Erik with a thoughtful gaze.

'He seems... No wait...'

She stepped closer, coming upto Erik as she pushed her face into close proximity with his.

"Uhh.."

"You're... Unawakened?"

"Uhuh."

Erik gulped under the gaze of Raka. She sighed. Raka shook her head.

"What a shame... you two would’ve made quite the newcomers."

"Is there anything that can be done?"

Jeria appeared nearby with her inquiry. Raka furrowed her eyebrow, putting her finger to her right temple as she pondered out loud,

"Awakening either happens by the age of fifteen or it doesn't. I have met some early flowers and I have met some prodigies too but someone awakening after fifteen... I'm afraid there is no one that comes to mind. Presently or otherwise."

Raka put her hand to her chin, crossing the other over her chest, somewhat lifting it up. She was wondering if a certain archive held any information regarding this.

"Can you at least look him over? Both of our parents are powerful people, it doesn't make sense for him to be Unawakened."

Raka looked at Jeria’s committed face, filled with concern for Erik. She could only sigh.

"I'll take a look at him but I cannot say anything will come of it."

Jeria's eyes lit up as she nodded her head. Meanwhile, all Erik could think of was the dancer and her finger to her lips, the way her hips swayed away from his reach...

"Brat, are you even here?"

"Huh?"

Erik snapped up, seeing Raka glare at him. He did hear Jeria ask Raka to take a look at him.

"Well, I-I..."

He paused.

"...You're beautiful."

Raka blinked. Jeria facepalmed, sighing very heavily into her palm as she shook her head. Raka straightened her back and put her hands on her hips, seemingly in thought. There was a moment of stillness between Erik and Raka, the rest of the folk continuing their chatter. Raka leaned her face forward, her eye fixated on his, a look of disdain being communicated.

"Kid."

Erik gulped.

"Let's meet your parents."

2